Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Dude looking to gain weight for basic, do this:
1. Go to McDonalds
2. Eat two big macs, 20 piece chicken nuggets with buffalo sauce (the best sauce), two mcchickens, and a large fry. Dip the fries in the buffalo sauce, because it's good. Wash all of that down with the large drink.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you make weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Depending on where you go and what you do cyber can be pretty loving awesome. The army is already loving it up though. Do never go army.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

I've heard grim tales of serious mismanagement both of the 35Q career field and the various cyber units being stood up; inability to figure out what cyber is and does is up there, career path still hasn't been laid out, skill levels beyond 10 and 20 haven't been defined, etc. I'd also expect a ton of bullshit and frustration since it's so new. I hear 35Q reservations are booked solid, possibly up to a year or more because of the training backlog. That might be only for MOS-T though so I'm not sure about that much, haven't looked into it.

Knowing what I know about the army and cyber though, you'll probably have some holy-poo poo-this-is-insane-and-totally-awesome moments, but they will be short, far, and few between, completely eclipsed by all sorts of other army bullshit your leaders will undoubtedly feel is more important than actually doing your job.

Another worrisome aspect is the fact that you will not have any or many career cyber guys as your (senior) NCO leadership. It will probably mostly be a mix of guys from irrelevant intel disciplines looking to make rank in a new mos and mos-t'ers that probably have no loving business being cyber and will fall back on their irrelevant army experience to gently caress with you and generally be awful, with maybe a handful of chill, smart, mission-focused guys in the mix.

The good news is with the combination of the right person and the training, there are a lot of different opportunities to get away from regular army, so there's always that.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Aranan posted:

So anyone know anything about the day-to-day life as a 35P in the Army? Does it depend a lot on which language you get assigned for DLI?

Bonus question: same for 35T and 35N.

It sucks and no it has nothing to do with what language you get assigned. Understand this, once your rear end leaves Goodfellow, kiss your language goodbye because you won't be seeing it again until you get to an RSOC or to the fort (Meade)

You will literally waste all of that time and effort to become a poorly trained 35N when you inevitably deploy to a country that doesn't speak the language you were trained in, but that's okay, because I have yet to meet a 35N that was as good as his job as a 35P. I don't know why. It just is.

If you're smart and can knock out a 270 or above on your APFT consistently, try and go to SF group. It's dope. 35Ps are hit up heavily for a lot of special assignments too, and if you're competent, physically fit, and you are well rounded (as in, you have other certificates or training besides your language training from the army) the sky is the limit. Those opportunities will become apparent to you throughout the course of your career.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Pro tip, Guyglaze, you should have Vacation in Kabul come out with you to the recruiter because that dude is full of really good advice that you should definitely listen to.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Manc just did the job a thousand navy recruiters never could.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Here's a thought, go to a good school, become fluent in a foreign language, suck some dicks to get an internship with CIA, DIA, or NSA, and avoid the military while ~*~doing intelligence~*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

the shittiest part of the army is the people you work with, not the job you do. i know infantry dudes that have loved their job because their command teams just sort of line up with really great or at least not terrible people and make sure poo poo's alright, and then i know people in ~*~intelligence~*~ units that hate their lives because everyone top to bottom is a huge loving prick.

• Locked thread