Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, I'd give it a try, there's a lot of shady people floating around with TS's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've got a dude in my platoon right now who didn't ship the first time because he was underweight, but the weasly gently caress was 20 goddamn pounds underweight.

If you are only a couple of pounds, they most likely won't care.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

droey posted:

I'll be graduating with a chemistry/philosophy degree in May. I asked earlier about being diagnosed with depression and being eligible to fly helos. The depression was really just a phase and nothing is really "wrong" with my mental health now. I just had a rough patch in my life. Despite this I've done well in school and it's been my dream to fly since I was a kid. I know that this isn't a guarantee to get in the sky or anything so I've been looking at other things I might enjoy.

Combat medic seems to be something I would like to do. I've considered training as an EMT but I figure the Army would teach me a lot of useful skills that would look great on a resume for pharmacy/medical (or PA, nursing, etc) school down the road. I want to take a break from this academic cycle. I want to push myself to be a stronger person and learn valuable survival techniques. I know that I'll have to learn a lot as a medic, but the fact that it will be something I could implement in my job immediately just engrosses me. I'm reading a U.S. Army survival manual and a lot of parts about treating trauma are very interesting to me. I'm a good shot with a rifle,understand their cleaning/assembly, and can put rounds in a 4 inch circle from pretty far away. I don't want to kill anyone if I had to be deployed. However, the safety of my buddies and I would supersede any reservations I had.

Are there any medics that would be willing to talk with me over AIM or Skype? I'm interested in which branch I should join, what similar jobs there are, and your general experience. (I have a top 1% ASVAB score, if that matters in terms of what jobs I'm eligible for. I'll also have a chemistry/philosophy degree as well. Besides that I'm in pretty good shape and stay active. Only physical thing that sucks for me is my flat feet.)

Okay, I'll bite.

If you want to fly, go try for the warrant officer tract and fly around like a mother fuckin' chief, giving no fucks. I, personally, do not think this is too bad of an idea. You get a clearance, you get a cool job. You aren't picking up cigarette butts like enlisted scrubs. The money is better than being an E.

You don't want to piss away your 4 years of schooling to be a medic. As a medic, you are probably going to be stuck in the TMC, filling out paperwork for dudes who banged a woman off ill repute and now need something stuck up his pee hole, or going to some shithole country worrying about whether you just got TB.

Being proficient with a weapon don't really mean poo poo in the Army. Having any kind of skill isn't really necessary to function through most Army bullshit, except for being able to do some pushups, situps, and run for 2 miles in a reasonable amount of time twice a year.

If you really, really, must enlist, go look at 35 series. You get yourself a snazzy clearance, maybe some language training, or IT certs, or something. Sign up for 3 years and get the gently caress out.

But really, go try and fly a helo. Don't enlist.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If it's nothing that's gonna cause you some kind of wild injury or problem just by working, then it's not so bad.

If you are getting a super secret squirrel clearance and lie about it on the interview and get busted, or polygraph and get busted... that's pretty bad.

Then again, people I've talked to say that they lied on their application to get in, told the truth on their clearance poo poo, and they were golden.

I could say, don't ever lie, but, well...

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Internet Wizard posted:

What if I had a prescription for an anti-depressant once for my ADD, but I only took it for a week or so and I hated it so I stopped? Also this was 5 years ago.

This is the kind of thing that I wouldn't even bother bringing up.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ravarek posted:

recent drug-related felony conviction

No.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

your superiors aren't necessarily smarter or even more experienced than you

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, that's a wild understatement.

With a GT of 120 you'll almost definitely have the top score in basic, and top 3 in your company. You will see such a base level of stupidity that you really won't believe it. For example, you got an 81 on your ASVAB. As late as 2011, they were still doing waivers for dudes who didn't score a 35.

You will see poo poo so dumb it will hurt your brain, you will be living with a bunch of racists, people who think that Ancient Aliens and Jesse Ventura are the word of God, and basically a bunch of people who signed up to shoot Muslims and brown people.

Then you will find out that people who's sole redeeming quality is that they have not been kicked out in a given amount of time will be in charge of you. They will check your room every morning to make sure... of something. You will constantly be called back to work and be punished because someone did something wrong and/or dumb, simply because no one has the brain to figure out a way to keep a bunch of 18 year olds from smoking spice, drinking underage out in public, storing their own feces in their closet, or whatever dumb poo poo people do these days.

Conversations in the office or in the motor pool or out in the field won't last 45 seconds without someone bringing up how Obama is a secret Kenyan Muslim, Democrats and Liberals are idiots without any redeeming qualities, and Republicans deserve to be in power because Jesus will lead the way.

This rant isn't to discourage you from joining up, just give you a heads up on what poo poo can be like in the Army, especially around infantry.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
All of the above is accurate, and O time in the Army is cake compared to E time, but if you have to go E, and you don't like it and will bail as soon as your re-enlistment comes up, 35 series is the best of the worst plan. Failing all else you've picked up a language, or worked in cyberwarfare, or got a bunch of certs, or are an analyst, and you get a TS clearance at the minimum.

This, plus GI Bill, could actually be considered a fair trade even if you don't like it. Unless, of course, you end up dead.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Secret Spoon posted:

My favorite is giving Sapr or stamp, or whatever the Sexual Assault program is called, training. It makes me want to eat a gun because there is always like, one dude who raises his hand and asks:

"She can change her mind during? gently caress that!"

:smithicide:

Dudes 8 years in, have sat through this bullshit at least 40 times, still gently caress it up when they are asked. :negative:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Condolences.

Number one piece of advice: if you get hurt, go to sick call. If anyone tells you that you are going to get recycled or kicked out for going to sick call, tell them to go suck a dick (unless it's a drill sergeant) and go anyway (even if it is a drill sergeant). Your ability to control what physical activity you undertake will be all but gone, and any problems you get will get worse.

Also, broheim, I'll totally hook you up with snickers bars. 20 bucks, meet you outside the Kelly Hill troop store bro.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Have a look around. Cyberwarfare + security clearance + defense contractors = FAT STACKS.

Also, no, there isn't that many needles. They'll take some blood, they'll hit you with a few shots, and that is that.

not caring here fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 23, 2012

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Kind of true. About 6 months after Army OSUT I got involuntarily reclassed from tanker to scout. Is this going to happen straight after basic for you? No. It happens when the dickheads in charge of recruiting numbers completely gently caress up and recruit way to many of one MOS and they desperately need to push some people elsewhere. This does not, historically, happen very often at all. As for the other services I have no loving clue.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
To whoever asked the question that kicked this little argument off, here's the long and the short:

Officer is much more cushy, you get paid a dick load more, but you've got more responsibility.

Enlisted is pretty gay, the money isn't great especially if you aren't married, but you can game it a bit. For example, with the army, don't get anything but 35 series in your contract. You get a clearance, actual job skills that relate well to the outside world, and it isn't as super mega gay as the rest of the army.

And that's pretty much it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, that sounds like the recruiter is trying to put a dick in your rear end.

vacation in kabul is totally right, especially about the DEP stuff, that poo poo is dumb and gay.

And like I tell everyone else: if you are going to enlist, especially with a degree, pick something 35 series. Don't listen to no "if you aren't combat arms you are a pogue" bullshit. Combat arms is dumb.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
DEP is where you participate in stupid poo poo with the recruiter where you "play Army". Nothing cool, mind you, you do some stupid Army PT, yell the soldier's creed, and other pointless crap that you will be sick of about day 1 in Basic.

I think people think it's a way to keep people "motivated" -- another word you'll get sick of, especially seeing as how it's also used interchangeably with aggressive -- and you'll also get sick of that poo poo pretty quick too. Save yourself some grief, when he says DEP appointment or something, say you've got school.

Basically, it's dumb stuff about the Army that you'll be doing for the next X years, so you might as well avoid as much of it as you possibly can.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no. That recruiter is a wildly amazing douche bag, and you should just go see another. Not, however, before you walk back in there, defecate in your own hand, and rub it down one side of his face.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, from IET to your first duty station you tend to get a little dicked. What you want to do is take a week or so of leave, go home, pack your poo poo and find out the most economical way of sending it wherever, and then head to where you are going.

Or, better yet, just go to your first duty station and have someone pack and send your poo poo to you. Straight shipping - as they call it - sounds gay as gently caress but is the best plan all round. Straight shipping you get your flight paid for to your next duty station, and thus you have incurred no real expenses except for shipping your gear from your home to new duty station. The taking leave idea is not ideal as the Army pays for pretty much nothing except for the flight from your home to your duty station (I think).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I actually had to convince two dudes in my platoon this week to not marry strippers for that sweet, sweet, BAH. And like I told them, I will tell you all now.

Once you marry that stripper, crack head, waitress, ditch digger, whatever, they have got you by the balls. You have committed BAH fraud, and all it takes is for them to spaz out, blackmail you, whatever, and next thing you know, CID is coming around and asking you some pointed questions. Of course you spoke about this poo poo over text messages which she'll be happy to bust out on you, and if you thought that living in the barracks with lovely money was taking the big green weenie, the big green weenie is about to feel like you are getting fingered by an elephant.

But if you MUST, if you absolutely MUST do it (and you shouldn't), you need to find someone who will be on the hook just as much as you. That waitress or stripper hasn't got as much to lose as you do. So you need someone on the hook as much as you. Say, a 3rd year nursing student. Someone in med school. A government employee. Someone who having fraud on their record is going to gently caress them just as much as you.

And what happens this week? One of them is marrying someone in the air force reserve. God bless the little privates, they are learning.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, they are still offering enlisting bonuses for 35P, so I don't think that they would be turning people away.

Although, you know, Army.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Also, keep in mind if you want to be infantry, or something else combat arms, there's a very good chance that you will come out with some kind of physical disability. A VERY good chance. Spending the rest of your life with some kind of limitation or debilitating pain is not a good time. And I'm not talking from IED blasts, or getting shot or whatever, I'm talking about because of some dickhead who thinks that running with a 120 pound ruck on your back will give you "heart" or whatever rubbish they get in their head.

You would be much better picking something that is related to the field that you are interested in. Even if you go straight back to school afterwards for your degree, if you pick something (marine people can be more specific than I) like linguist, something IT field, cyberwarfare if they've got it, then you come out with maybe some certs, some wild poo poo to put on your resume, and the very important security clearance.

Really, combat arms is just a bad idea. There's plenty of people in here that are combat arms, and it's dumb. There's people who work alongside combat arms, and they can see how dumb it is. You probably won't take this advice anyway, but at least we can all laugh at you if you ignore it.

In regards to inter service marriage, you do some paperwork, and that lets the DoD know that you would like to be stationed together. They SUPPOSEDLY will do what they can, but it still seems to be a crap shoot. Then you've got the problem of "hey, we need Jarhead Pyrok at this marine base, but Airman Pyrok needs to go to another state, as there is no airforce presence there" so it can be a bit lovely. Some people have had plenty of luck with it, and some others get the shaft. Your mileage may vary.

If I were you I'd both pick airforce. The jokes about the quality of life between services are jokes, but they generally get a much better standard of living, with a lot less dumb stuff (unless you keep up with the DLI thread lately, they seem to be getting pretty gay in there).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
iceslice speaks the truth, but my advice is to be taken if you aren't gonna take his (which it sounds like you are already set on doing). I won't call you an idiot for not doing another two years and enlisting if that's what you really, really, want to do, especially if it sounds like you are going to maximize the benefit from joining the military whilst minimizing the gay poo poo. But completing your degree and commissioning would be optimal.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think you are glorifying serving in the military a bit, but you've got a lot better reasons than about half the dudes I signed up with (shoot brown people / be a great Christian Warrior).

So if you're going to enlist, pick something that's gonna benefit you as much as possible (linguist, cyber, whatever), and come back for advice if you think you are getting dicked by your recruiter, and be prepared to walk away and go to another service if the marines aren't giving you what you want.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a CTN just an Army 35P? I honestly don't know.

In which case, doesn't the airforce have the same job / mos / rate whatever lingo you guys use?

E: Oh wait, that's something cyber? That's like a 35Q?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Isn't that 37F? I'm pretty sure that's an application MOS for Active, so that's an extra complication for you right there.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
An application MOS, such as 37F, 38B, 35L, 31D, (and some others) is, for us active duty folks, not an option for initial enlistment. We got to meet certain requirements such as rank, time in service, time in grade, sometimes education, clearances, sometimes a physical try out (like MISO selection and assessment), and whatever other bullshit they come up with. Basically, you have to meet a certain set of pre-requisites and are then assessed by HRC (in most cases).

So for me, say I'm a E2 with 6 months in. I'm eligible for nothing. Say I've got 2 years in, E4, no secret clearance (yet). That scratches me for all of the above MOSs. Give me a TS SCI and I'm good for 3 of them. Give me an associates degree and now I'm good for all. Make me an E7 and I'm scratched for... 3 of them.

If you wanted to keep 37F as your initial MOS your only option would be to go reserve and then backdoor into active. It MAY be easier for you as 37F is still on the BEAR list with a bonus intact so they are obviously hurting for you guys a little. But, fuckin' HRC, who the gently caress knows.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What's OSUT, 4 months? That means if you left today you'd be through basic July/ August, probably go through 2 months of deployment training crap to take you through to October, assuming there are any more units deploying, you'd be just in time to start manning burn pits.

Buy I think that's very unlikely.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And a copy of your high school transcript, which the army will evaluate.

If you got something funny like a birth certificate not in English, you may or may not have to pay to get it translated.

If you aren't a citizen you don't qualify for a clearance, so that's pretty much all you need if memory serves.

Edit: and a social security number

not caring here fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 12, 2013

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nimmy posted:

Maybe so. I don't mean to come across so defensive either. I'm cool with it for now and I don't imagine I'll be in this MOS for 20 years. And hell man, howitzers need smart people too.

You know, I was gonna poke a bit of fun at you being defensive, but I'm lucid right now, so here's some advice.

Hearing protection, holy gently caress use it. Double up if appropriate.
If you're hurting, especially knees or back, go to sick call. gently caress any idiot who criticizes you, they'll probably be medded out a few years in cause they thought they were hard.
If you find your job sucks, keep an eye out for MILPERs floating around calling for volunteer reclasses. ie, right now they are looking for voluntary reclasses for 35Q. That most likely won't be an option for you by the time you're eligible, but something may pop up.

In my opinion, there's no way to prepare you for the stupid you just signed yourself up for. Just try and take a deep breath and let it go the first time you see someone wrapping their dick around their wrist and asking you if there's something wrong with their watch. There will be many, many, more bouts of dumb and way, way dumber poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
To be honest that's probably most of our actual IRL responses.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress no.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's the general consensus for a guy that wants to join the army/national guard for the explicit reason that it's been a long standing dream to blow poo poo up and get shot at? He actively wants to be in combat arms, doesn't give a gently caress about benefits, is completely aware that the job is completely miserable poo poo 95% of the time, but just has the lust for blowing poo poo up.

18X or get the gently caress out.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

ethanol posted:

Go big, wash out, don't get to go home

This guy gets it.

On a completely unrelated note, had a PT test. I have done no PT for at least 5 days that I can remember, maybe more. Maxed out my pushups at 75, stopped, and realized that I had another FIFTY seconds left.

I don't even know how this happens, but I sure wish I knew what the gently caress I did right. This is from a dude who usually maxes pushups, but just by the skin of his teeth.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you needed a moral to the story, there it is. Do never join.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Pandasmores posted:

Go security forces, won't steer you wrong (NOTE: Anecdotal evidence coming a friend that is in the reserves or w/e you call it for the AF. I'll ask him how he became a cop.)

Hahahahaha, woah, no, don't go security forces. It's like the AF equivalent of grunts and full of all the people who didn't qualify for anything else.

There's some federal law enforcement arm of the air force but I can't remember what it's called, like the AF version of CID, or NCIS.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yes but they get all butt hurt if you call them MPs.

Actually, from what (little) I've seen of them, they are more like security guards. Security guards that happen to be able to write parking tickets.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EAB posted:

I went to welding school, and have been having trouble getting a welding job because of lack of experience or even just getting into a shop as an apprentice or on the field as a helper.

If I got a really good ASVAB score, could I choose to become like a hull technician or get some other welding/fabrication job in the navy? Or is it going to be all luck?

I'd honestly hate to commit for 4 years and not get a position welding/fabricating.

You could try air force, I met a dude who did some welding and poo poo on aircraft. That's about all I know on the subject though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

If you're going to drop out for the sake of yourself please do it before shipping to basic. It's a HUGE pain in the rear end and though cap is right about them not being desperate they'll still probably hold onto and make you a slave for at least a few months while they take their sweet time processing the discharge out of spite.

For reals. We had a a couple of week 4 drops in basic and they didn't leave before us, another 13 or 14 weeks later.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah dude, if you thought your back gave you troubles now, boy howdy, you'd be in for a treat.

I mean, I suppose they could POSSIBLY let you in with that list, especially if you told an rear end load of lies, but your chances of a clearance are pretty much between gently caress all and none, which means you won't even get a good job.

It's in your best interests to find something else.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I know a dude who just signed up to reclass to 92Y, after being a big dumb scout for 3 years. In his defense his logic being that he could go anywhere in the world, which SOUNDS true, but I'm sure the army will give him some deep dicking somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Vasudus posted:

The only thing that changed between BCT and AIT was the guideon color. It's now black!!!!!!

loving OSUT. 15 weeks of BCT basically.

gently caress OSUT and gently caress combat arms for even thinking that poo poo up.

And gently caress inserts who were on a TDY holiday.

• Locked thread