Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

shyduck posted:

Avoid overly salty food if you can help it too, because that'll raise it as well. I had to jump through a couple of hoops because of blood pressure.

Mine was a little over the limit at MEPS, so I had to get a waiver. That consisted of me going to my family doctor for 5 days in a row and having blood pressure checked. I tweaked my diet and got all that done, and was able to receive that waiver. Now this was 2009 so I have no idea how strict they would be today, but as long as it's not terrible it's not a dealbreaker.

In fact I remember sitting in one of the rooms waiting to be re-checked my first visit. My BP was high, so the MEPS person let me sit quietly for a few minutes with the lights out, so I could compose myself and get my BP down.

In walks in a different MEPS employee, who proceeds to flick the lights on and goes "AAAH!", like trying to startle me, and it worked. The fucker said he was just joking around, and then procees right away to take my 2nd BP reading. It was higher than the first.

I still got in, and I hope that asswipe got hit by a bus.

I'm in the process on getting a similar doctor's report for having a high HR in MEPS. Unfortunately, it seems like I'm terribly skittish at the sight of doctors and all, so I couldn't keep it down. Now, at the cardiologist's office, I managed to bring HR down, and have papers to show for it, but my BP at doctors office is a static 135/90 , which is entirely reasonable, since I'm freaking out a bit, but the cardiologist is dragging his feet with the paperwork because of this and I'm stuck waiting.

That paper I received from MEPS asked for BP and HR readings on two consecutive days and a diagnosis, but I'm starting to wonder if just the readings would be enough to have MEPS drop the issue.

Funnily enough, two doctors at MEPS would attend me when I was told I need to relax - one would try to help me with breathing techniques; the other would yell loudly at me for stupid poo poo like putting my folder on the adjacent chair, then would proceed taking my readings immediately afterwards.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I went to MEPS in the tail-end of May and went through my physical almost entirely successfully, except for one thing - couldn't keep my heart rate down when they were measuring it (I'm a shy goony goon, military is definitely the life for me:psypop:), so when they were done, they sent me to measure it someplace else. About three months and some cardiologist appointments later just to be sure, I brought all the documents certifying the normalcy of my heart as well as the readings MEPS wanted to my recruiter.

As you can imagine, that was three months ago and I'm starting to worry a bit. The recruiter fellow said it would take about 2-3 weeks to get processed, which is the most concerning part about it. There was the shutdown and everything during this, which did slow things down quite a bit, but the recruiter hasn't been very responsive, replying only once over the three months, and saying that it should be any day now about a month ago.

Are these times somewhat normal when it comes to MEPS processing times? Is there something I can do / someone I can call? One other thing I was worried about is whether or not this qualifies as requesting for a waiver, but it shouldn't be - there isn't anything wrong with me and I'm certifying to that, as opposed to me asking them to let me in while there is.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
After 8 months of jumping through the hoops of proving to MEPS that I'm completely healthy and that they should get the gently caress off my back, I'm clear to swear into DEP next week. Because it took so long, however, I looked into a bunch of other options and I'll now be weighing them in.

I have a question, however - I know that you can get out at any time before shipping out to boot camp, and I'm wondering just how mechanically easy/hard is that to do? I have another possible thing that I won't know about until later in May, but the recruiter wants me to swear in next week and I don't really want to blow them off just yet.

It's Air Force, by the way - in case that is relevant.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 22, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

LingcodKilla posted:

I go to MEPS tomorrow. Should I prelube or do they supply it?

Depends on whom you get, mine was a chill old guy who was really witty and gentle. I didn't even cry or anything.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Zetta_Slow posted:

With everything I've looked into Linguist looks the most promising currently, but it would all come down to the DLAB.

On a side note my ADHD stuff has become a major pain and I want to get some advice on the whole story of what's going on. I went to talk with my doctor previously about my ADHD diagnosis, and we both agreed that I had outgrown it. The diagnosis was in early 2012/2013 due to me starting at a university, having issues with the giant class sizes, and we talked about taking medication for it (Tried strattera and felt like it was unnecessary, it is also not a controlled substance, so there should be no issues). I stopped taking bigger classes and my GPA spiked up. Now I'm curious about the whole situation that is currently going on. I found my old diagnosis from 2001/2003 the one from 2001 is a diagnosis that says ADHD, and the one from 2003 says ADD. He said that adding these will make more paperwork and add confusion, so he just wants to leave these out. He also says that he needs all records about IEP's, my GPA's, and Grade Transcripts as far as they can go back. I called my high school/college and they sent out my transcripts which will cover me grades 6-12 and the college for all of my AA. I talked to the high school registrar and she said any records of an IEP should be in the transcripts if it was used.

Now to the current situation my recruiter is telling me that I need a 'treatment plan' from my doctor when I know no such thing exists. He also wants exact dates on my ADHD start-up/stopping. He also wants all of my medication records wrote up from my doctor. My main issue is that no 'treatment plan' exists. I talked to my doctor about the issues and we came to an agreement that I just had a lack of focus due to the poor class management at University. I guess the main issue is that he wants a non-existent 'treatment plan' wrote up from my doctor, which would involve creating something that doesn't exist, which would be fraud. What should I do in this situation? He says that the Chief Medical Officer wants more information about the whole thing, and there is nothing more to it, I've given them all the information about the situation and what happened. Should I start looking in to other branches at this point? (Will they just pull up my air force records and see that I had issues because of my past ADHD?) My recruiter is also saying that he is in a lot of trouble because he didn't properly follow his training and this led to him messing up the enlistment of 5+ possible recruits. This whole situation is a mess and I really don't know what to do besides ask for advice from everyone here.

I really do appreciate the help from everyone here, I just don't understand some of the issues coming up with my recruiter.

Check out the DLI thread before deciding to come here. I didn't listen - don't make the same mistake I made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

if you have any sort of social anxiety at all I don't the military is a place for you.

Or he could become a linguist and hang out with nothing but people with various degrees of social anxiety.

Don't actually do that.

• Locked thread