Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

nooneofconsequence posted:

Anyone know more about this? I just returned to college as an undergrad and was considering ROTC, but I was on anti-depressants for a few months over 2 years ago.

If you tell anyone that you've used antidepressants, it's an automatic disqualifier (at least for the Marine Corps, Army, and Navy). There is the possibility of a Bureau of Medicine waiver but with all the branches downsizing, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I spent three years running a recruiting sub station for the Marine Corps. The Navy has the same medical requirements (since we are Dept of Navy) and I know the Army's was that way because they were our main competition as recruiters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm applying for Navy OCS with a BA in International Studies, 3.91 GPA, 54 on the ASTB, and several recommendations.

My question is: I recently went to MEPS and things seemed fine overall. I had to have my ear flushed, but no big deal. I was also told I needed to have my most recent Optometrist appointment information sent to them since my eye sight is lovely, but I see fine with glasses/contacts. I also apparently have no depth perception, but I'm not attempting to be a pilot.

Today I got a letter from the DoD saying that I have "Excessive Optical Sphere" and that this is a permanent disqualifying disability. The letter said I can file for a waiver, but with the board coming up this month (if it hasn't already), I don't know what's going to happen.

My recruiter is out of town until Monday, but after reading up, it sounds like this is something that can be waived if I get eye surgery and it fixes it to acceptable limits.

What do you think my chances are of getting this waived and continuing on if I get the surgery, or should I just start looking at different career paths since the military doesn't need to put up with my terrible eyes? I want to join the Navy, and for the past few months, preparing for OCS has been my life.

On the enlisted side, this was an easy waiver to get pushed through. At a minimum, you will draw a consult with an eye doctor. Worst case scenario, you have to submit a Bureau of Medicine Waiver (BUMED). If you have to go through the entire waiver process it can take some time. Expect at least three or four weeks to get everything processed and be prepared to fill out an rear end ton of paperwork.

I wouldn't jump into surgery unless you are told it's a requirement. The surgery will disqualify you for a period of time (I think it's 90 days but it may be 180 days). Often times the consult will say your vision sucks but it's correctable with glasses. While you are in the Navy will pay for your corrective eye surgery if you jump through the paperwork.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 13, 2012

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pick another branch of service? In my experience, behind the Coast Guard, the Air Force recruiters have the easiest time finding applicants. It's a matter of them screening out the ones who are unqualified, selling the qualified kids who come in their office, and processing them for enlistment.

The Air Force is the go to branch of military for a lot of people who want the benefits of service without the bullshit generally associated with the military. Not saying that's who is in the Air Force but the nature of the service attracts those types. Recruiter man doesn't have a hard time finding people interested. He just has to screen those interested to find the qualified ones. Of those qualified, the ones who are the easiest to enlist are going to get his attention so he can make mission and go fishing.

Another branch of service is probably going to be hungrier to find qualified applicants. Go talk to the Navy or the Army. If you are a masochist, you could even try the Marine Corps.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm looking to enlist active duty in the army, angling for a 35Q but I have concerns about my medical history. I've been under treatment for depression on and off for about 5 or 6 years now. In 2007 I spend two weeks in a hospital out-patient program and have been on and off medication and therapy since then. Right now I'm on light medication and see a therapist a few times a month. I've never been suicidal, been committed or anything like that, have no other mood disorders or other mental problems.

When I talked to a recruiter today she was somewhat dubious that I would be accepted into 35Q or possibly any 35 MOS if I was completely honest with a medical history like that. I just said that since I'd need to get a security clearance, I would prefer to be as honest as possible. She also said the doctor who does medical screenings for recruits is a real hardass about his attrition rate so that might add another wrinkle.

I'm already pulling up medical records but how much of a problem would this be for me and how much do I need to or how much should I disclose?

It's been five years since I did any recruiting for the Marine Corps but while I was on the streets anti-depressants were an automatic non-waiverable disqualifier. The services didn't specify the amount of medication or whether the applicant displayed any suicidal thoughts or acts.

Behind sexual assault, suicide in the military is the second biggest headline catching issue the services have. Even during the expansion of the Marine Corps from 187,000 to 202,000 no one would consider it. I know it was similar for the Army because if I couldn't work an applicant due to medications or mental health, the Army couldn't either.

So I doubt that if you are upfront and honest about the medicine and therapy that the recruiter will be able to put you in. If recruiter man tries to get you to hide those things, just remember that if you make it in, you aren't going to have access to your medication anymore. If you start to have any mental health issues, it will come out that it was an underlying condition when you came in and you will get kicked out and not be able to use any of the VA or Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Internet Wizard posted:

What if I had a prescription for an anti-depressant once for my ADD, but I only took it for a week or so and I hated it so I stopped? Also this was 5 years ago.

quote:

It's been five years since I did any recruiting for the Marine Corps but while I was on the streets anti-depressants were an automatic non-waiverable disqualifier. The services didn't specify the amount of medication or whether the applicant displayed any suicidal thoughts or acts.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Peepers posted:

If I don't bring it up myself, would it be caught in a background check for a secret or top secret security clearance?

Probably not for secret. Very likely for a top secret. Listen man, I don't want you to take this the wrong way but if I were still recruiting, no matter how hard up I was for contracts, there is no way I would ever even consider putting you in. My whole purpose in life was to put people in but It's too risky and when you get caught it will be a shitstorm.

You'd have to stop any meds for at least a month before you even depped. Once you are in you have a huge secret you are hiding from everyone. If you ever have problems, your past records are going to come up.

It sounds like you are doing well with light meds and therapy. Don't throw that progress away on a bet that you will probably lose.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

edit- "hekk" where did you recruit at, regionally?

I recruited out of Cleveland Ohio a few years back.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The B-billet got me promoted fairly quickly but the experience itself was pretty terrible. I never wrote a doughnut as a recruiter and as a SNCOIC I never missed mission but it wasn't because I was great at the job. I was just to stubborn to fail and ran me and my recruiters into the ground in an effort to reach our recruiting goals.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Yeah, I'm just an E5 in this poo poo, but I've gotten a bit of grey hair from the poo poo. We don't have indivudal missions, just a mission as a station, and we got our assees kicked last month We were on for 4/2 (active/reserve) and ended at a 1/0 for the month. USMC made 5 of their 14 for the month. It's bad up here :shrug:

Yeah the Army changed to their factory line recruiting process (or whatever it's called) right as I was leaving. With the right crew it seems like it can work really well. I like the idea of sharing the responsibility of making mission with everyone in the sub station. However, if your area canvassing recruiters start slacking and the guy doing interviews doesn't have anyone in the chairs, I imagine things can get stressfull.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

We're like 90% old school and there is a great schism due to it. The only way we operate on the new system is that we have a Future Soldier manager. Future Soldier manager is the guy that keeps teh DEPs engaged and trains them promotes them whatever, so that we dont take DEP losses. Of course I'm that guy, so I'm expected to manage 30 DEPs plus do all the other recruiting functions. It's pretty gay.

edit: On paper the new system is awesome, but requires 7 people at a bare minimum. We have 5 covering like 20+ schools, and about 1/2 are target schools.

I feel for you. I wouldn't make it dealing with high school seniors all that time. As a recruiter I mainly put in grads who shipped in less than 30 days. That's why I don't remember any of them.

It's funny though, once you are finished recruiting, all the kids you put in remember you. You will get stopped all the time and have no idea who the person is.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

gay jesus posted:

For what it's worth, he told me he already has his number for this months and most of next month. I see what you mean though.

If he doesn't have the nuke program available or you need to have some waivers approved before you are qualified for it and the Navy wants to contract you now, it's entirely possible for you to contract under once job and ship under another.

I had to do that a few times for kids I put in. However, this is not benefiting you in any way. Worst case scenario, the job doesn't become available or your waivers don't go through. The recruiter will try to get you to ship under whatever you've contracted with or something else available.

If you really trust the recruiter it could be legit. If they are blowing smoke up your rear end you can just refuse to ship. They will try to scare you but in the history of the military there hasn't been a single occasion where the government has come after a DEP discharge. The only negative is that if you try to join another branch of service, you will require a waiver to dep and cannot stay in the dep if you enlist. Meaning that as soon as you swear in, you'd have to ship if you tried another branch of service.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ravarek posted:

I have a close friend that is interested in joining the military. Unfortunately, he is haunted by a fairly recent drug-related felony conviction (I believe this happened about 3-4 years ago) and he has been in rehab. What are his chances of even getting into any branch of the military?

I sincerely believe the military would be the best path for him to take at this point in his life and I am interested in learning if there is any way he can get in. Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts?

Felony drug conviction and drug rehab are both permanent disqualifications for all branches of the armed services. So unfortunately, your friend has no chance of serving in the military. As others mentioned, he might have a chance with the French Foreign Legion but he'd have to make it to France and talk to them about it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

We're felony drug waivers ever really that common? Even during the surge days?

I recruited during the surge and even on the worst days, no one would even consider a felony drug waiver. As far as I know, it's something that has and always will be non-waiverable (Marine Corps). I can't imagine any of the other services would be different.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DAS Super! posted:

Is that for all branches? And what if you recieved deffered adjudication?

Deferred adjudication is considered the same thing as an open court case. You can't put someone in until after the deferment period is over.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sexy Flanders posted:

I graduated college a year ago and have been considering the army or navy. My only hesitation is I have full sleeve tattoos. Absolutely nothing objectionable/hateful and nothing that can be seen when I'm in a long sleeve shirt. So is this a non-starter with the army or navy? I've tried searching online but most of the info seems to be outdated. Any help would be appreciated.

Your best bet is to go talk to a recruiter. If you call them up and they want to screen you out, you can give a bogus name, address, and phone number but answer everything else truthfully (if you are concerned about getting harassed).

The Marine Corps had different tattoo policies depending on which coast you recruited because there were different generals that ran each side of the Mississippi. I don't know if the Army and Navy are any different but I imagine the tattoo requirements for officers are a bit stricter than enlisted. From the Marine Corps perspective a sleeve tattoo was a disqualifier. The Army has always had a more relaxed tattoo policy than the Marine Corps though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DAS Super! posted:

Oh okay so if you sucessfully completed it, you can still get in correct?

I haven't been a recruiter for a while. During the surge, we could work misdemeanor marijuana charges as a district level waiver. Any other drug charges were not workable. DEVILDOGOOORAH is on the streets right now as an Army recruiter. If he says they can't work waivers, I'd think it's an accurate statement.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DAS Super! posted:

Not to get a lawyery but as I understand it a deferred adjudication there is no formal conviction and the case is dismissed. Does that make a difference? Like is the disqualifier just a drug charge as in you were order to appear and face charges? Or is it a charge and conviction?

/end law chat

It's been a few years but as I understand it, a deferred adjudication means the charges are "dismissed without prejudice" which means the court can bring the charges back up. If at the end of the deferred period, you go back to court and have the charges "dismissed with prejudice" then there is.no way the case can be reopened and you might have a chance if you talk with a recruiter.

Oftentimes the military looks at any type of alternate settlement the same as a conviction though so you'd really have to talk to a recruiter.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Posting from phone. Apologies for the double post.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 12, 2012

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BUSH 2112 posted:

Is that necessarily always true? I put in my application to join the Navy, and from what I'd read online, people seemed to say that as long as it's been at least a year since you'd been prescribed them, and you don't seem like a crazy person to the MEPS psychiatrist, that it wasn't very difficult to get a waiver.

It's been like 7 years since I was on them, and it was for anxiety, with no other mental health disorders.

I have never seen or heard of anyone who ever got a waiver to enter the military after having admitted to taking anti-depressants. Doesn't mean that it's never happened, but if I couldn't find a way to run a waiver when the Marine Corps was expanding and our quotas were the highest they've ever been, I can't imagine that now that everyone is downsizing there would be any reason they'd be granting waivers.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Aranan posted:

Hey, guys. I've been talking with some recruiters lately and right now I'm considering enlisting in the Army, specifically doing something in the 35 series. My first goal was doing the warrant officer program and being a rotary wing aviator or commissioning, but apparently I'm an old fart (28, will be 29 in January) and neither OCS or WOCS will take me. I'm not too put out because some of the 35 MOS look pretty nice. I do have a degree (English) and know the flowchart very well. That said... am I one of the exceptions here?

Also, can anyone shed some light on 35P, 35T, 35N, 35Q, or really any of the others in that series? What would someone in that MOS actually do on a day-to-day basis? What civilian job skills could I expect to pick up?

Not quite what I was hoping to see, but it's good to know there's at least one place where people don't pull punches about this stuff.

The Military is like the last holdout of aristocracy here in the US. Unless you have no other alternative, you would be better off putting your degree to use doing something else. If you enlist, you are going to be ten years older than your immediate supervisors and 6 or 7 years older than your officer. It will be very difficult to bite your tongue when you want to tell these idiots how stupid they are.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Huskalator posted:

If I reenlist in the Army Reserves will I get to keep my benefits like MGIB-SR and the Student Loan Repayment or do they terminate after the initial enlistment?

You are eligible for the MGIB-SR benefits as long as you are a member of the Selected Reserve.

The Student Loan Repayment thing I know nothing about.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I went out today and first stopped into the Air Force office. They were playing home alone on the TV, and it was all very office-ish... Lots of brushed metal accents and frosted glass. The recruiter told me they strictly don't do age waivers. Not a big deal.

Drove down the street to the Navy recruiter's office (which is shared with Marines and Army). The place was a huge departure to the Air Force Office, in that it was dank and concrete with lots of grey paint. The Navy office was closed, in fact the Marine office was the only one that was open, and they were bustling. It was filled with propaganda posters and workout equipment. They did have a TV, but it was playing recruitment videos on mute. The Gunnery Sgt was nice enough to fill me in on the Navy recruiter's hours, and try to recruit me (gently caress some of that). It led to a sort of awkward situation where he was underhandedly insulting the Navy to sway me. I'll be back after the first of the year.

I posted this experience because I'm assuming this contrast between the AF and the rest of the military is indicative of the overall situation. Sort of funny, but at the same time, it seems a bit bizarre.

Every high school kid who has ever thought he wanted military benefits without going through military bullshit has thought Air Force.

It's not entirely accurate but the generalization exists for a reason.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

not caring here posted:

Kind of true. About 6 months after Army OSUT I got involuntarily reclassed from tanker to scout. Is this going to happen straight after basic for you? No. It happens when the dickheads in charge of recruiting numbers completely gently caress up and recruit way to many of one MOS and they desperately need to push some people elsewhere. This does not, historically, happen very often at all. As for the other services I have no loving clue.

Unless contracts in the Army and Marine Corps are totally different, you had the option of walking away when they tried to give you a different job than the one you signed up for. Unless you never had a job guarantee to begin with.

JesusDoesVegas, your Navy recruiter is just telling you bullshit that recruiters tend to. The Marine Corps falls under the Dept of Navy. All of our paperwork is almost identical. As long as you have the job guarantee in your contract, if at any time that job is no longer available, your contract is void because the military didn't uphold their end of your agreement. You can walk away from the military or take another job.

If this happens after you go through recruit training, the vast majority of people will accept another job. After all, who wants to go through the lovely initiation and then have nothing to show for it. However, some choose to walk away and are released with an entry level discharge and do not have to report military service on job applications. As far as I know, this exists DoD wide.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2013

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

root beer posted:

Thanks a lot for the information so far guys, it's been really helpful to narrow it down some more. I'd really appreciate if some Airmen and Marines could offer up some info too.

I'm coming from a programming background and I am experienced enough that I'm perfectly content training myself. I do want to learn more about, and work on, networking systems and server technology, all the nifty hardware poo poo that I rarely got to handle working as a civvy. I imagine the available certifications would largely be the same regardless of specific MOS, and they're my biggest reason for enlisting besides the usual poo poo.

Once I'm out, I'm planning on finding work in network administration or integration analysis. I'm in it keep my head down, do my job well for 4 years, and be a benefit whore. Learning military-specific technology isn't a priority.

Edit: quality of life is a non-issue. I seriously don't give a poo poo. I know a some people say that without having any clue what it entails, but my family has ensured that I know what to expect as I mentioned in my last post. I simply want the best work experience and benefits, 4 years is not a long time.

The Data geeks in the Marine Corps are in a better position now that we are in the process of getting rid of the civilian contract to handle network and computer issues in garrison. Years ago we did all of this ourselves but once OEF/OIF kicked off the Corps thought it could save money by outsourcing the support to NMCI. Their contract is finally getting phased out and the Marines are actually starting to handle computer poo poo again.

For the past 10 years, the data Marines only did their data and networking jobs in the field which meant that the experience level of the guys working varied depending on what type of unit they were with. The guys with Infantry Battalions spent a lot of time in the field and were generally proficient but if you talked to a guy attached to a wing unit or something, they were inexperienced at half their job.

As a former recruiter, I don't think there is a package that guarantees Data though. I think it just promises something in the 06 field which could be anything from Radio Operator (Hey guys shoot at me! I have a big loving antenna sticking up so I look important.) to wireman (if digging trenches and laying wire is your thing, this job is up your alley), to Sat Comm and some other poo poo I have no idea about. So you might want to check to make sure that the Data field is in the package without another lovely comm MOS paired with it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Veins McGee posted:

More like 'sitting in the COC for 12 hours a day doing radio watch while watching movies on my netbook'

Only if they are too weak to hang with the line companies. The strong ones get pushed out to squad patrol bases.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ironman posted:

At the end of the spring semester I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree. I'll save you all of the details (which are completely honorable, and has nothing to do with student loans of course), but I plan on entering the Army afterwards. I think I'm pretty well qualified and my recruiter is really eager to send me down to MEPS. He assures me that while I'll swear in as an E-3, as soon as I graduate the Army will "see" that and bump me up to E-4, and I'll get whatever other benefits there are for someone who enlists with a higher ed degree. Is this true? My instinct is to not risk anything, and hold out until graduation, but at the same time keeping my recruiter on hold for a few months also seems like it might not be the best idea. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

If you have a degree and meet the other commissioning requirements, I would encourage you to look into going the officer route. If nothing else, talking to an officer selection officer would at least let you know if you qualify to attempt a commission.

While there are some instances where enlisting with a degree could make sense, as a general rule of thumb it's not a good idea.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Every person who enlists has a total of eight years of obligated service. Most contracts will be for four or five years of active service with three or four years off inactive reserve (basically time that the military could recall you if there was a shortage of qualified personnel). Every day you do in the Delayed Entry Program reduces your obligated service by a day.

The military uses the DEP as a way of lining up folks to fill beds for boot camp/basic training. Its just a method of keepingI obligated folks motivated enough to ship out when they are needed.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

vacation in kabul posted:

Welp nevermind I guess DEP is pretty sweet. Don't enlist just to do DEP though, wait until you have your bachelors and are absolutely sure they're giving you E-4 before you sign or do anything with the Army.

I wouldn't say it's great or anything. Having to spend Saturdays hanging out with high school kids probably isn't high on my list of cool poo poo to do. However you could always tell your recruiter to gently caress off and not go to pool functions. As a recruiter I had older guys never come to functions but I would see them one on one during the week after they got off work.

I agree that you shouldn't sign until you get something in writing that says you will be an E-4. However if you decide not to listen, there is no way anyone can actually force you to ship. They will try to scare you with some poo poo about fines and prison time but in the history of the US military no one has ever been fined or imprisoned for refusing to ship.

If you do refuse to go to boot camp and later decide to attempt to join another branch it will require a waiver and you will have to ship out the day you swear in though. One shot at the DEP is all you get and the time you previously spent in the DEP will not count towards obligated service since you didn't fulfill your contact.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ironman posted:

I feel pretty dumb having gone talk to the recruiters in January when I'll actually be graduating in May. I didn't realize that the process went call recruiter Thursday-> meet him Friday -> go to MEPS Tuesday. Kind of nuts, and this'll eat at me for the next few months but the best thing for me to do right now is to just wait.

It doesn't have to go that fast but the recruiter (or in the Armys case the station since each recruiter is assigned a job like canvassing, interviewing, processing applications and waivers, and managing their DEP) has a mission of X number of contracts a month they have to meet. So he is going to pressure you to sign up because if they don't make mission it tends to be painful for recruiter man.

Just be firm with him and let him know you are going to graduate before you do anything and there is nothing he can say or do that will change your mind.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

vacation in kabul posted:

Don't feel like a douche about it, he's coming from a recruiters perspective. I wouldn't go on what he's saying, he has no idea who your recruiters are and can't guarantee they won't gently caress you over due to incompetence, malice, or sheer laziness. If there's some way they could lie to you to get you to enlist they'll do it, and they'll laugh about it after they ship you out. You're about to sign four or five years of your life away, I talked to a recruiter while I was still going to college, told them I wanted to enlist, and then ignored their phonecalls and didn't show back up to the recruiting station for four months. The same person still happily enlisted me despite probably getting his rear end chewed out four months earlier (this was in 2008 so the Army was wwwaaayyy more desperate for people then it is now). The Army is stupid for doing monthly quotas and treating their recruiters like used car salesman, there's nothing you can do about that.

I wouldn't go so far as to imply that recruiter man would be doing high fives and laughing about lying to you to get you to join. I mean, it's not outside the realm of possibility I guess but lying to people and loving them over tends to be bad for business what with every kid having 500 facebook friends and what not. Word spreads fast if you are shady and no one wants to deal with you in the future. However, once you sign on the dotted line, there is no guarantee your paperwork will get filed correctly. If you wait until you are finished with college, you can have everything in writing up front and other than inconveniencing the recruiters, it doesn't hurt anything.

The big take away is not to worry about the recruiter's mission. I ran a Marine Corps sub station for three years. Trust me when I tell you that one way or another the military will make their mission and one guy is just a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. You need to worry about you and getting the best deal you can out of your military service. This is the only time you have pull because you are playing the role of customer up until you enlist. Once you are in, you are just a cog in the big machine and will have very little say in anything for some time.

There is a lot of good things you can get out of military service but sometimes it can feel like the good you get out of your time in is in spite of, instead of because of, the military itself.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

going to meps and QNE (qualified, non enlist) is like the biggest loving big bad deal in recruiting. Not excusing the guy, but it's horrible. Good thing is in the Army we pick their jobs before they even go to MEPs so it rarely happens.

I used to QNE guys all the time if my station already made mission for the month. Thing was, most guys are on board if you tell them the truth. I would just explain to them that we have already met our recruiting goals for this month and that while we would go ahead and qualify them, they would not actually enlist until the first processing day of the next month.

Also, good recruiters sell the idea of being a part of whatever branch you are recruiting for. We had to learn that fast as Marine Corps recruiters because the Army always had way bigger bonuses and the Air Force and Navy had all the high tech jobs. If I sold someone on a job and all of a sudden I couldn't actually get that job for the guy, chances are he'd walk away. However, if the applicant was sold on the idea of being a Marine, they were usually more flexible with what fields we had open and available to them on the date they want to ship.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Welcome to the Machine. MEPS is your introduction to how insignificant you really are. It's long and exhausting because each day they churn a metric fuckton of applicants through and if they took the time to treat you like anything other than livestock it would take even longer. There is no grand conspiracy to wear out your defenses in order to get you to sign up for a lovely job. In fact, the Navy and the Army are the only two branches that pick jobs at MEPs. Marine Corps and Air Force do this back at their recruiting office.

Also, I think you might be confusing how unpleasant people who don't care about you with mind games. However, you were smart to be firm and upfront with your MEPS Liaison about not wanting his lovely field offers. Clearly voicing what you want in a firm manner is good advice to anyone looking to sign up. Otherwise you get what's available and no one is going to jump through their rear end because they know you are going to join either way. If you are firm about not joining unless X, you stand a better chance of getting what you want.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If you marry a girl right out of high school and keep her self esteem low enough that she believes no one else would love her, you basically have a live in maid and cook who doesn't talk back. Bonus points if you find one from a developing country you can threaten to send her back to if she mouths off.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I have a couple questions regarding the airforce. I really truly love flying. I am close to recieving my pilots license (PPL) and I would love to do it commercially but its just so drat expensive. Someone mentioned the airforce as a route to go to get fully certified for more or less free (obviously there is a lot of time commitment so its not really free per se). I am going to be stopping by a recruiters office for the airforce in a couple days just to talk, I won't be signing or agreeing to anything.

I am 23, I am about to graduate from my univerisity with a degree I hate, and all I want to do is fly. How realistic is it to expect such a thing out of the military? I don't want to be a fighter pilot, more transport kinda stuff. I don't really ever want to shoot at anyone, or even be shot at really. I'm sure I'm probably exactly the kind of person who shouldn't be interested in enlisting so please tell me so, so I can let this fantasy die.

If you wind up somehow making through all the physicals and flight school and all the other poo poo you have go through, one of the requirements for being a transport plane pilot is talking like a redneck trucker.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ironman posted:

I'm here again, as open to advice either cynical or misleading as ever. I took the ASVAB Tuesday, and today the recruiter showed me what might be available come Monday; basically every job that I had thought was interesting was there. Now, why I'm here again. I had issues with anxiety when I was a teenager, but I was never formally diagnosed, and the medical records show that my issues resulted from circumstances that have been dealt with (I was very overweight). The recruiter told me that I should not be forthcoming about that information as it isn't relevant anymore. I'm concerned though because the MOSes I'm interested in require secret or top secret clearances.

I find it hard to believe that the Army is made up of hundreds of thousands of iron men who've never seen the inside of a doctors office. I have no doubt that I can adapt, but I am worried that I won't ever get the chance.

As a recruiter, I never ever hosed around with anyone who had anxiety or depression issues. There are lots of ways to dance around in grey area but with the high suicide rate in the military and the high stress environment many work in, it was never worth a contract to needlessly risk the health and well being of that applicant or his fellow service members.

With that said, if you disclose to anyone that you had anxiety issues in the past, at a minimum you will be disqualified pending a phsych consult with a military doctor. It could very well turn into a Bureau of Medicine waiver which are an rear end pain. Worst case, you get permanently denied. If you were ever on meds for anxiety, you are pretty much hosed if anyone ever finds out.

If your issues were truly as insignificant as you suggest, it's much less complicated not to volunteer information. However, please don't be a selfish rear end in a top hat that puts others in danger because you are too proud to admit that there may be an anxiety issue that could be triggered if say you were holding onto your best friends mutilated body, watching the life drain out of him as you wait for a CASEVAC bird to show up.

The screening for secret clearances isn't too terrible but Top Secret are much much more involved. Your friends and family will definitely be interviewed and it's possible old things could come up. If that happened, it would be bad for your career.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GuyGlaze posted:

Thanks for the offer, but at this point I think I might be hosed. Basically, I went to MEPS, and when I went to see the classifier, he tried to get me to sign as an FC for 6 years. He also offered CS on a sub, and some engineering jobs. The classifier told me if I didn't sign anything, I'd be kicked out of the DEP, so I told him I'd sign, but I wouldn't ship to boot camp unless I got HM in my contract. So I sign, and my ship date is August 1st.

So I get back to my recruiter, and he's talking about putting in reclassification requests for a poo poo ton of jobs that aren't corpsman. He also mentions that a couple of corpsman spots opened up just this past week. I tell him the same thing about not shipping with anything except HM, figuring that if spots opened up last week, surely there's gonna be a spot open between now and August. He basically says to come back when I'm serious about enlisting, and as far as I know, my enlistment process is on hold. I'm of course definitely not shipping as an FC for 6 years, there's no question about that, and at this point I'm not settling for anything but corpsman. Immediately after talking to my current recruiter I called another one in a nearby station and told him the situation, and he said he'd call my current recruiter to talk to him about it.

Am I an idiot for signing at MEPS? Is going to another recruiter at this point, having already signed something, going to help anything?

Did you swear in? Like put your paw in the air and say that whole thing about "swearing to support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic"?

If so, you are already in the delayed entry program. If you refuse to ship, you will be discharged from the DEP. If you want to join the Navy again or another branch, it's a waiver and you have to ship to boot camp the day you swear in. You only get one shot at the DEP. However, it is entirely possible for your recruiter to change your job up until the day you ship out. When you show up to MEPs the day you ship out, you will go over your paperwork again, sign some more stuff, and swear in again. This removes you from the inactive reserve (your status as a member of the delayed entry program) and makes you active duty. Once you sign your paperwork that day, everything is set in stone and anyone claiming you can change jobs in boot camp is blowing smoke up your rear end. It is technically possible, however, your recruiter would have to have some really solid contacts and get in touch with them on the day you show up.

During the initial screening they do on recruits, some inevitable get disqualified. The jobs that those recruits held do not get recycled back into the system because jobs are assigned a window that basically tells whatever branch of service you are joining when that service member will be fully trained in that field. As these kids get dqd, it's possible for the boot camp staff to shift those over to guys on open contract or with lovely jobs. However, the coordination piece to make it happen is so difficult, I only pulled it off one time in 3 years. Additionally, you have absolutely no guarantee that recruiter man will keep his word.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MancXVI posted:

This is wrong. I got discharged from Air Force DEP and went into Navy DEP about a month later.

In three years running a Marine Corps recruiting sub station, I did not see any branch of service bring someone into their DEP that was discharged from another services DEP. Direct Ship only for all services. It might have changed in the last four years, but I wouldn't think so.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ironman posted:

A thorough background check, interviews with friends and family, would definitely show that when I was 17 I sought help from my family doctor about anxiety. I'm 25 now. Would that "being bad for my career" mean disqualification or would it be something worse like a fine or a criminal charge? The specific MOSes that were shown today that excited me were 35P Cryptologic Linguist, and 35M Human Intelligence Collector. If I'm going to enlist, I want something exciting and something challenging. If nothing else is realistic I would choose infantry (wasn't even offered, only 18x and I'm definitely not at a perfect APFT score yet).

I haven't been recruiting for a little while and my waiver knowledge is getting rusty. One thing you can try is talking to an Army recruiter a town or two over. Do not give them your real name or phone number or address but be completely honest about the anxiety thing. If it sounds like they are willing to work with you, you have a couple of options. 1) Go back to old recruiter and tell them to run the waiver. Or 2) tell new recruiter you lied about your name because you were working with another recruiter who was trying to get you to hide the issue.

If it doesn't sound like a waiver is possible, I would advise you to walk away and find something else to do. If you are hellbent on joining anyway, if it comes up that you hid the medical history, you can get hit with a fraudulent enlistment charge which can range from entry level discharge (no benefits just like never having served) to dishonorable ( required you tell potential employers if asked) depending on the severity of the fraud.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Bright Eyes posted:

I posted a few weeks ago about how long med waivers take usually, and the fact that my recruiter is not talking to me.

It's now been over a month, since I've heard from my recruiter about the waiver or about anything. I've called him multipled times, and even texted him. His voice mail box is full, so I can't leave messages. 3 weeks ago, I emailed him about the waiver and that I wanted to drop if it didn't happen by today, because I couldn't keep putting off big decisions (next semester, a new apartment, etc.) while this was stuck in limbo. I also highlighted that I was told at MEPS that I was qualified for the job, even though I wasn't and that I believe he (the detailer) lied to me outright to get me to sign that day vs. coming back after the med waiver got approved. I CCed his CO and I still haven't heard anything for 3 weeks. Not even an acknowledgement of "hey, I see what you're saying, no promises but I'll work on it."

I'm pretty lost as to what to do.

It's late here and I haven't gone back and read your original post about the med waiver. However, it sounds to me like a) your recruiter is dodging you because he doesn't want to take the time to run your waiver because it's a pain in rear end and his mission is low enough he doesn't need you or b) your recruiter is dodging you because he doesn't think your waiver will get approved. Either way he is avoiding you so that when his easy contracts dry up, he can tell his boss he has you working and can possibly submit waiver paperwork in tougher recruiting times. Either way, the key thing to remember here is that your recruiter will make it look like he is doing you a favor by putting together the paperwork for you to enlist.

There are a couple of things you can do here. 1) You can pick another branch of service and see if they are willing to work the med waiver. From what I saw as a Marine recruiter, the Army is pretty good about submitting waivers since they have a guy at every recruiting station whose job is running waivers and processing enlistment paperwork. The Air Force is pretty likely to tell you to get bent because they are never hurting for applicants. The Navy is somewhere in between the Army and the Air Force. Finally, depending on how well the Marine Corps is doing recruiting, you could see any of the previous three scenarios. During the push to 202k for the Corps, I ran every waiver I came across because I needed every contract I could get. Now that the services are downsizing, applicants are not needed nearly as badly and it's a pain in the rear end to put together the paperwork. It takes time and there is no guarantee that the waiver will get approved.

2) You could also find out how big the recruiting station Headquarters covers and go somewhere outside of that. For the Marine Corps, you have recruiting substations all over a city. The RS (Recruiting Station) is the hq for all of those substations and typically covers from 1/4 to 1/2 a state. If you move outside of that area, you are dealing with completely different folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fuchs posted:

I'm currently in DEP now for reserves. I had wanted to go active duty but at the time I got a sweet job and relocated and figured that reserves was the way to go because I wanted to always enlist. Now it's been a few months and was laid off from my job. I'm not in dire need to leaving ASAP as I have my finances in order and can support myself until I ship but now that I don't have a nice job I'm rethinking this plan.

So my question is how easy is it to transition to active duty from reserves? Would I be able to keep my same MOS (Psychological Operations Specialist) after AIT and decide to switch or would I be forced to reclass as my recruiter said it's a reserve only job.

Edit: I ask this because I'm worried about coming back after AIT and getting a poo poo(ier) job than what I would have in the Army between drills. I have no college degree though I would like to go back now that I'm older and not a dipshit but I understand that's not doable with Reserve educational benefits unless you can deploy, which seems unlikely for me any time soon.

If you haven't shipped to boot camp yet, you can always change your contract to active duty. However, if Army recruiting is anything like the Marine Corps was, your recruiters may try to convince you to stay reserve because they have a mission for whatever local reserve unit is near you, that's harder to fill up than active duty is.

• Locked thread