Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I like stuff
Oct 12, 2012
From reading the last thread it was made clear that enlisting active duty with a degree is a horrible idea.

But is there any consensus here about the reserves? I'm considering joining the reserves if I can get TS/SCI and drill within a reasonable distance of the northern Virginia/DC area.

If this isn't a bad idea would it matter on what branch I joined? The talks of the Army reserve going to 7 weeks AT has me worried on how that would affect my employment opportunities, so I've been leaning Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like stuff
Oct 12, 2012
Earlier in the thread I broached the topic of enlisting with a degree in the reserves to get a clearance and I didn't get roasted so I assume its not as stupid an idea as going active duty.

I have a bachelors in international relations and I'm hoping by pairing my degree with a TS/SCI and intelligence training from the reserves, I could get a junior intel analyst job in NOVA.

Considering I'm looking to drill somewhere that is within a few hours of the VA/DC area, basically any branch is an option for me.

First question is would it matter on which branch I joined in regards for job prospects? I'm looking at 1N0 in the AF and Air Guard and 35f for the Army and NG. Since as a reservist I'll obviously have no experience, I assume the particular branch I join will have little impact on my future job prospects. Am I off on this?

Also, do any particular reserve branches get activated less or more so than others? I'd want to deploy as less as possible and I've heard the AF Reserve deploys the least.

I like stuff
Oct 12, 2012

Pepsi-Tan posted:

joining as a Reservist and hoping to immediately convert to active duty.

No chance at all this will happen.

If you don't want to be a reservist then don't ship out.

• Locked thread