Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
I've been thinking on military (Air Force) for awhile, and I think that it is a good choice for me. I sent out a few questions to a recruiter, and I'm looking to take my ASVAB soon. I just have a few questions regarding some things I've looked into. I'm 22, 6'3, and weigh 135 currently. I'm assuming when the recruiter responds to me I can sign-up for the ASVAB and then it just comes down to my scores. I currently have an Associate in Arts (60 Credits at a Community College), and 9 Credits at a University, will this help me/is there anything I can do with it in the Air Force? Lastly, I have been working out and my running is right around where it needs to be, (I started working on my push-up/sit-up numbers about 3/4 weeks ago) my push-ups are at 25-30 currently, and my sit-ups are around 30-35 currently, are these good numbers for now? Should I try to pump up these numbers before going for enlistment?

And a side question which I haven't found much on: I do the arms crossed on shoulders for my sit-ups, but just to pull myself up I have to sort of 'rock' my body to pull it up, is that in bad form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Thanks for the advice everyone! Started eating more today. It feels awful eating so much more, but gotta do it to reach my goals. Bought 3 big jars of peanut butter, let's do this!

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Just to make sure, but don't just eat to put on weight. Go to the gym and lift some heavy stuff so that you actually build muscle mass and not just fat.

Yeah, I can only head to the gym about twice a week for lifting weights, but I end up doing about 300 Push-Ups & Sit-Ups every day, and run every other day. Would you say that's enough? Or should I be doing more?

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

My push-ups and running have been spot on, but I noticed that sit-ups are excruciating to do. I can usually get out 30, but they are in awful form. I don't have anything to hold my feet down so I end up hooking them onto my couch. The main issue is my feet are pointed up-right and I just don't get how to pull myself up without rocking/using my back to push myself up. I've looked into sit-ups and most places say they are bad for your back and to not do them. But is there anything I can do to work on my sit-ups? I can hit 40 but I'm really worried about them being in bad form and not counting, or even injuring myself.

e: Sorry for asking all the fitness/weight questions, figure this is the best place to ask them though, so thanks for all the advice.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

So I got a call back from a recruiter today (the one that had originally contacted me went on leave right after he did, so another one followed up with me), and they basically told me I need to hit 152 (exactly what you guys told me) before they even want me to have an appointment (I thought they would at least want to get an appointment in though). They asked me a bunch of basic questions and the only thing that stood out is that I had an accident three years ago where a driver slid in front of me to avoid hitting someone else in the pouring rain, and blamed me for the accident. I went to court and it was dismissed (cop put reckless driving in the rain, didn't show up to court to back it up). Could this hurt me even though the charges were dismissed? Another thing is that before I started to look to gain weight, I had an EGD, and a CT scan just to make sure everything was alright and that I didn't have any issues before I started to gain weight, could these hinder me? I'm sort of nervous that something small could bring everything to a halt.

Also, on a side note I weighed in at 143 today, so things are progressing pretty smoothly, my push-up max is sitting at 30, sit-ups are at 40, and my mile and a half run is at 12 minutes.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Alright, so another update! I overshot my height a bit, and I'm just a bit over 6'1. So my minimum weight is actually a bit lower, and I weighed in at 151 this morning! I've hit 38 push-ups, and 45 sit-ups in a minute. My run is around 11 minutes for a mile and a half. So I called my recruiter and we finally made an appointment for the 21st. He told me that I would be taking a practice ASVAB to see where I am currently at. I'm going to be calling my cousin who works for Air Force internal affairs to help me out with whatever I need to know. But does anyone have any advice when I go in for my appointment? I don't want to make any mistakes or end up doing something wrong, I guess I'm just a bit nervous.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Took my ASVAB today and ended up with a 90.
Talked to my Air Force recruiter right after and he told me that the chances of being disqualified are really high, because of my previous diagnosis of ADHD (Once as a kid where I took medication for a short period around age 7, but my parents don't even have the records of it anymore, and once at 19( early 2013) where I didn't get/use any medication). My doctor wrote a note saying I grew out of it and don't have it anymore, and he is saying that it might not help with the decision at all. Assuming that the Air Force is a no, is there anywhere else I can go from here with the military? I'm not exactly sure if being disqualified for one branch for ADHD will bar me from all the others.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

I haven't been on medication since I was 7 (I can't even remember being on it to be honest, and there are no records of it that probably still exist), but they said having ADHD past the age of fourteen is grounds for dismissal.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

The second diagnosis was stupidity on my part. I was having a really hard time in school (learned that giant 500+ people non-online classes in University are just not for me) and he was heavily against prescribing me anything, but said he was open to something called strattera, which he said is a non-stimulant and non-addictive, but I am really anti-drug in any way and didn't want to get started with any. Would it be best to find my ADHD report from 15 years ago and try to show that I was diagnosed as a child? It was when I was so young that I can't even remember ever taking medication, but my parents said that I did and they took me right back off of it because of a huge personality change. I have no issues functioning without medication and I am a pretty down to earth person, I thought that getting a good score on my ASVAB would at least prove that I am able to have a clear focus and grasp on myself.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Talked to my recruiter today and he told me that he screwed up really badly. He said that he botched the ADHD procedures really badly and this is going to lead to me and him doing tons more paperwork. He said that my high ASVAB score is the main reason that he still wants to work everything out with me, but I am not disqualified or anything, the chief medical officer wants more paperwork on my ADHD. He said I need all ADHD documents from the past, all medication records, all transcripts, all GPA records, and that I don't have something called an 'iep' throughout my school years.

Now I went into old records and found the original diagnosis, and I wasn't actually prescribed ANY medication for ADHD. Is this going to help me out in any way?
(The original diagnosis in the records was from age seven)

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Hamlet442 posted:

Sounds like you won't have any issues getting in then. Stick to that workout, don't get in trouble, and you should be good. I don't know if you've answered before, but do you have an idea of what jobs you're interested in? Did your ASVAB break out what your individual scores were (General, Electrical, Mechanical, Administrative) or was the number just an overall 90?

General = 85
Administrative = 93
Mechanical = 74
Electrical = 74
AFQT = 90

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

That's fine, also the no medication thing will go a long way.

edit: also wondering what you were looking at for jobs

Right now I've been looking into Linguist and Medical jobs. I've been doing IT related work for awhile and I'm not exactly sure that it is the path I still want to take. One thing that bugs me is that the AF website is just so bare bones so they don't give much depth to describing jobs. So I've been making use of google to see what people think about their jobs, etc.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

With everything I've looked into Linguist looks the most promising currently, but it would all come down to the DLAB.

On a side note my ADHD stuff has become a major pain and I want to get some advice on the whole story of what's going on. I went to talk with my doctor previously about my ADHD diagnosis, and we both agreed that I had outgrown it. The diagnosis was in early 2012/2013 due to me starting at a university, having issues with the giant class sizes, and we talked about taking medication for it (Tried strattera and felt like it was unnecessary, it is also not a controlled substance, so there should be no issues). I stopped taking bigger classes and my GPA spiked up. Now I'm curious about the whole situation that is currently going on. I found my old diagnosis from 2001/2003 the one from 2001 is a diagnosis that says ADHD, and the one from 2003 says ADD. He said that adding these will make more paperwork and add confusion, so he just wants to leave these out. He also says that he needs all records about IEP's, my GPA's, and Grade Transcripts as far as they can go back. I called my high school/college and they sent out my transcripts which will cover me grades 6-12 and the college for all of my AA. I talked to the high school registrar and she said any records of an IEP should be in the transcripts if it was used.

Now to the current situation my recruiter is telling me that I need a 'treatment plan' from my doctor when I know no such thing exists. He also wants exact dates on my ADHD start-up/stopping. He also wants all of my medication records wrote up from my doctor. My main issue is that no 'treatment plan' exists. I talked to my doctor about the issues and we came to an agreement that I just had a lack of focus due to the poor class management at University. I guess the main issue is that he wants a non-existent 'treatment plan' wrote up from my doctor, which would involve creating something that doesn't exist, which would be fraud. What should I do in this situation? He says that the Chief Medical Officer wants more information about the whole thing, and there is nothing more to it, I've given them all the information about the situation and what happened. Should I start looking in to other branches at this point? (Will they just pull up my air force records and see that I had issues because of my past ADHD?) My recruiter is also saying that he is in a lot of trouble because he didn't properly follow his training and this led to him messing up the enlistment of 5+ possible recruits. This whole situation is a mess and I really don't know what to do besides ask for advice from everyone here.

I really do appreciate the help from everyone here, I just don't understand some of the issues coming up with my recruiter.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Question. Did they bring up this whole ADHD thing with you through a background search somehow, or did you bring it up?

I brought it up when I talked to my recruiter. He said it shouldn't be a difficult situation as long as my doctor says that I am clear to go and get a note saying that everything was fine. So I went and discussed everything with my doctor and he agreed that I was functioning well and I had grown out of my ADHD. Now my recruiter is saying that this is a difficult situation because he was mistaken about something and his boss apparently had to come retrain him on some information regarding ADHD. So pretty much "not being a difficult situation" turned into hell.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Volkerball posted:

The moral of the story is always lie to recruiters.

Lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Godholio posted:

The downside is that if they find out later that you lied, you can expect a discharge and if it's about something serious, criminal charges. Keep in mind you've probably got security clearance background checks in the future.

This is exactly what I was figuring, and I wanted to be accurate about everything. The only issues that make my record an unclean record are a dismissed traffic ticket, some old stomach scans from when I lost weight (came out clean, CMO said everything was good in that regard), and ADHD, which is the biggest current hurdle. The real issue is getting all the paperwork together now, I have everything I need, and then he needs something else new and my doctor has no "treatment plan" so do I just tell him that a "treatment plan" doesn't exist?

• Locked thread