Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you're smart, join the AF - get TS/SCI - ETS - get degree. I would advise against the Army for IT, or for anything in general, really. Your best bet is the Navy or Air Force for smart people jobs, which are highly valued in those branches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You will never regret doing that, ever.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Sir Lucius posted:

Apply to the CIA and NSA as well.

Don't forget the DIA too!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nimmy posted:

13Blow poo poo up. May 7th ship out. Guess I'm done with this thread now, thanks again.

:(
why

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Serving in the Peace Corps will disqualify you from PSYOP and Counterintel, from what I've read. There may be more.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He's definitely going to go places. SF fo sho.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You did the right thing.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
For the love of god do not enlist in a combat arms job!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You could end up in Lemoore or China Lake.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You must already be in the military and meet the eligibility requirements.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
smeper fi

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Do you really want to join the Marine Corps? I think you should take a look at the marine thread.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Crunchtime posted:

Are there any threads dedicated to reserves? I'm considering it just for some of the benefits offered and of course the cash boost too.

Which service's reserve?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cloudy McPouty posted:

While the x-ray program had it's place. It is time it ended. There are currently 12,000 Green Berets...12,000. That is nearly the size of the 82nd Airborne Division. So now you have a division worth of Green Berets that are all trying to fit in to 3 Battalions each (4th is slowly being consolidated at each Group).

Do NOT sign an 18x contract in the current Army. You will experience an attrition rate of something close to 80-90% for 18x candidates while in the SFQC because they don't need them.

You will waste time in the SFQC(if you even make it through SFAS). If you are at all serious about bettering yourself by enlisting, then go to RASP. You can always go to SFAS once you have an adequate amount of Team Leader/Squad Leader time. The 18 series are not going anywhere, but it is not a good time to be entering as an 18x. You are looking at a virtual guaranteed ticket to the 82nd ABN DIV.

what

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

anne frank fanfic posted:

Lol that guy is a pharmacist, one of the most mobile, highly paid, good houred jobs and he wants to join the military.

It is a good life choice.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pandasmores posted:

If you join the Navy as an AT, theres a small chance you might end up ar NAS Lemoore, in which xase you can contact me here on the forums and I can help you out if you need anything medical on the mental health side. For some people the pace of life in the Navy is difficult, and to help with the transition from one abusive household into an abusive organization comes the possibility of needing a place to vent.

At almost every base Ive been to, whether stationed or just visiting a friend, they have a mental health clinic or a fleet and family support center. If you think you have any issues youre carrying from your abused life and want to drop it, it can be hit and miss depending on provider, but it can also be really helpful. Be good at your job and try to take care of yourself as in some cases no one else will.

Haha you're at Lemoore sucker. I used to live in Hanford.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

An Inquisitive Bean posted:

It's only three years, right?
Good joke, I laughed a lil.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Godholio posted:

They care, because they have 200 applicants with a 3.9+ gpa for every job opening.

There's no way there's that many people

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Godholio posted:

Edit: Air Force

Nvm then, that seems typical.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

UoI posted:

Yes. I hate doing nothing and I thought this would be an interesting thing to do. I have actually been wanting to be a Marine since I was like five, but that's probably not the greatest choice. :shobon:

Sure, sign your constitutional rights away for several years on whim.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just do NROTC. You can do a summer cruise and see how things work. Enlisting with a degree is retarded.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Exigent posted:

What should one be able to do physically if they were considering to enlist with this? I'm only 17, so I have another year before doing so (if I even still want to by then).

e: What was your mos in the the regiment?

I have never been to SFAS nor RIP but I know plenty who have. They were all in peak physical condition, highly intelligent and excellent leaders. If you do not possess all three of these traits then forget about it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Also holy poo poo 17 is way too young to be deciding the path you will walk for the rest of your life. Just do ROTC. If you want to feel operator or whatever there are plenty of civilian contracting companies that will gladly train you for a fee without the military bs.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

ethanol posted:

counterpoint, student loans are real things for civilians and actually do suck

The government gives you free money to go to school, if you choose to accept a service agreement in exchange. And community college is cheap. And federal student loans have low interest rates. And FAFSA. And...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You should join if you want to drive a truck that gets 1 gallon per mile of jet fuel around picking up about 100 pounds of hedge clippings every day.

• Locked thread