Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
In 2002 it took me around a month from flash to bang to be in the USAF.

10 almost 11 goddamn years now. Why did I do this, oh god. :negative:

poo poo has changed a lot though. If you're still thinking about joining the USAF, be smart and join the goddamn navy. Wait no, Coast Guard. That poo poo is legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

iyaayas01 posted:

Bullshit. I kept a Secret with access to some other stuff after being diagnosed with depression, having suicidal ideations, and being prescribed SSRIs, and I upgraded to a TS/SCI after my diagnosis. I don't know how much louder DoD can shout SEEKING TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFIER FOR SECURITY CLEARANCES, but apparently the message still isn't getting through because we have people in this very thread propagating the bullshit that if you get mental health treatment attaining a security clearance is impossible. For gently caress's sake, we have an entire thread about this stuff.

Counterpoint: Mental Health made my clearance (well, access) go bye-bye.

Second Counterpoint: I've seen instances of clearances go bye-bye in the "Seeking help is A-Okay!" era. It's not usually the CAF doing it so much as it's local authorities removing access and using that removed access to justify a reclass or discharge, which then removes the need for access/clearance and.. well yeah, that's that. Sure you could try an IG complaint, but they're not going to restore your access because that's not their bailiwick.

I'm not saying it happens a lot, in fact it is almost certainly the minority-- and having a good report with your leadership / command will all but eliminate any chance of it happening to you. But it does happen, and can happen. To pretend otherwise is ridiculous. There are far more tools that can be used to bend someone over and gently caress them than there are protections put in place by law, mandate, or regulation.

But counter-counter-point: Getting help for mental health stuff is way better than suffering to keep a clearance. Having a clearence but still being depressed/manic/crazy/suicidal whatever, is stupid-- my life is 1000% better with a clean bill of mental health and no access to classified (Retained my clearance but lost my access.)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Oxford Comma posted:

Just outta curiosity, I know GiP tries to dissuade those with degrees from enlisting. But what about the guy who has a degree in Dutch Literature, with a 2.5 GPA from U of Phoenix? This guy isn't going to get a commission.

If your options have been whittled down to "Enlist, or don't enlist" because commissioning is never going to be an option, guess what the best choice is? NOT ENLISTING.

Source: Last decade of my life.

Seriously if you can make it through life and get an ok job and have a reasonable standard of living without joining the military-- do it.

If you can't, you are a perfect candidate to enlist-- join today, because poo poo looks bleak elsewhere and at least this way you'll ALWAYS get 3 hots and cot. At best you'll get a sweet place off base and be eating papa johns getting fat but not doing PT because you're waivered and waiting to get out so you can smoke pot and go back to college not just for free but actually get PAID.

This is 100% real talk.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Sir Lucius posted:

I can only speak for CTN, but if you do land the job it's pretty much like not even being in the Navy. You won't ever see a ship, you have about 5 places you can be stationed and they're all in the US.

CTN is nothing like 1N4 which in turn is also nothing like the army 35Q.

There are some assignment possibilities in 35Q / 1N4 that are somewhat comparable to the CTN folks, but honestly the jobs are fairly different-- similar but different enough to matter.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Friar Zucchini posted:

So I'm shipping out to Lackland for Cryptologic Lingusist on 05032013... Anyone have any experience with this? What's the worst thing about it, the best thing, etc? How's Monterey? (Or do I even get to see any of it?)

Start with not writing dates like that.

You'll probably fail out of DLI and wind up as a cop, CE, or if you're lucky a different intel job.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Sir Lucius posted:

Navy CTN doesn't deploy, and that's right up your ally if you want to do network analyses.

uhhh

When i was a team lead i had a CTN on my team who was like 40 pounds overweight but showed up in theater with tons of super high speed tactilol gear, I got woke up in the middle of my sleep one night a few weeks into his deployment by my commander of all people telling me to find anything mobile to put him in or on to get him the gently caress off of our FOB. He apparently had started crying during a prolonged round of IDF.

This was around 2007 so :shrug: maybe they don't deploy anymore? They def used to.

dude was super smart though- seriously scary smart.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm applying for Navy OCS with a BA in International Studies, 3.91 GPA, 54 on the ASTB, and several recommendations.

My question is: I recently went to MEPS and things seemed fine overall. I had to have my ear flushed, but no big deal. I was also told I needed to have my most recent Optometrist appointment information sent to them since my eye sight is lovely, but I see fine with glasses/contacts. I also apparently have no depth perception, but I'm not attempting to be a pilot.

Today I got a letter from the DoD saying that I have "Excessive Optical Sphere" and that this is a permanent disqualifying disability. The letter said I can file for a waiver, but with the board coming up this month (if it hasn't already), I don't know what's going to happen.

My recruiter is out of town until Monday, but after reading up, it sounds like this is something that can be waived if I get eye surgery and it fixes it to acceptable limits.

What do you think my chances are of getting this waived and continuing on if I get the surgery, or should I just start looking at different career paths since the military doesn't need to put up with my terrible eyes? I want to join the Navy, and for the past few months, preparing for OCS has been my life.

The DoD probably just did you the biggest favor of your life..

Have you looked into, I dunno, the State Department, CIA, DIA, NGA, NSA, FBI, DEA, U.S Marshalls, Secret Service, USPIS, DOJ, DHS, or any of a million other agencies that would have a hard on for a recent 4 year grad with superb grades and recommendations? Your particular major isn't really a barrier to entry in most federal agencies unless you wanted to do something technical.

I would think that you could pretty easily get yourself a civil service position if you so desired.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Antignition posted:

The Air Force demand vs. open spots is pretty much exactly what I was figuring, and it's why I'm so worried about landing the 4 year contract deal.

I was considering the Navy as well but I've heard the living conditions suck if you wind up on a ship somewhere (which is pretty drat likely). Being stuck on a ship for 6 months at a time is kind of a turn-off. Honestly, if it was 6 years in Air Force vs. 4 in the Navy i'm still not sure which I would go with.

And no, I'm no marine.

I had talked to him about this. I like to think I have a pretty good way of spotting bullshit so when I brought him my college transcripts and he said "we don't need to go through the hassle of looking at those, you'll get the extra promotion with 6 years" I called him out on it. That was when we got into the 4 vs. 6 year debacle. Only the first time he said it was because the training school was too long for cyberspace support (I looked it up and it doesn't appear to be so at all). He said with 6 i get faster e-4 promotion by 6 months, better assignment priority, and I don't have to wait in the DEP as long. Basically either bullshit or trivial stuff.

I would really appreciate that. It'd be nice to hear from someone who might not feed me lines of bullshit all the time.

And yeah, I figured as much about the system. After it was "fixed" I was there for an hour and a half one visit just to enter my name and address so I could sign some form. It was slow as poo poo.

You do not get any form of assignment priority. Everyone out of tech school is assigned by needs of the AF-- you fill out an assignment preference sure, but all of the career field managers will fully admit that it doesn't mean poo poo for your first assignment. The ammount of time you have to wait in DEP is dependent on training slots opening up which is not at all dependent on your enlistment length. With your college credits you absolutely should get to put on E-3 earlier, and thus E-4 earlier.

Do you know anyone in the AF that can go to the office with you and call him on his retarded bullshit?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Bright Eyes posted:

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind when I go in. Apparently the Navy only has about 1,100 CTNs soooooo. I'm hopeful. :smith:

It's a very awesome career field and if you do get in you'll really get to do some neat cutting edge (for the military) stuff. Best of luck to you.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DrCuntmuffins posted:

:hfive:

in a serious turn of events if any newbies want to ask questions about comm related fields ask me because i've done almost everything

during both his years in the usaf

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DrCuntmuffins posted:

thankx for the update friend you know me so well

the difference between saying "If it's about comm related fields ask me because i've done almost everything" and "I have been in the USAF for 2 year including training time, ask me about comm related fields" is pretty big

no shame in saying the latter either.. i bet guys looking to join would really appreciate perspectives from people that are fresh from training and not far removed from basic, etc.

not trying to TIS shame you.. because the only shame in TIS is the shame that comes the higher the number goes

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Don't you work on the E-6B?

Anything that is ultimately owned by STRATCOM is a bad time.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

BUSH 2112 posted:

So, not to keep asking the same poo poo here, and just tell me to shut the gently caress up and go away if I am, but would getting a really high score on the ASVAB help with getting my crazy-pills waivered at all? I took the practice one when I considered enlisting in the army in high school, and I want to say I got like a 93, but that was so loving long ago that I don't remember exactly. The recruiter said that a score like the one I had could make it easy to get pretty much any job I wanted.

Nope.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Secret Spoon posted:

I white knighted gay rights in the military on a simeo survey. The command climate or whatever and started bombing the suggestions area with how there should be a section dedicated to sexual orientation equality. I never heard back and no one has mentioned it even though I know there is real discrimination going on.

poo poo is pretty common

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519705&pagenumber=4#post410711152

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DrCuntmuffins posted:

it takes 30-36 months depending on which contract you choose or what grade you come in as :)

A nice set of tits and some volunteer work makes it 20 months TIS, FWIW.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

6 months to e-4, navy :smug:

this shouldve been a red flag :smith:

I put on E-4 after 3.5 years TIS.

loving air force.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

bengy81 posted:

Man, how the gently caress, I put on E-5 at two years in the Navy, gently caress the air force.

Came in E-1 with a 4 year contract.. I was actually promoted at 3 years but was deployed and poo poo got messed up because I wasnt with an AF unit or under their PERSCO.. So when I got back and was still wearing A1C at my unit the first sergeant did some digging and found out I had been eligible for promotion or whatever 6 months prior. Anyway I came in to work and they surprised me with it. I got I think 4 or 5 of the months of back pay too which was actually not that much money at all.
Would have been nice to be a SrA 6 months earlier tho so I didn't have to take poo poo from all those other E-4's.

My E-5 promotion also got equally hosed up.

E-6 went smoothly (enough) though.

I just have bad luck.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Otisburg posted:

I don't know. I've been out for a good while now, so I don't know if that would work for or against me in trying to get it changed, or even what grounds I could cite to do it. I'll Google the process to appeal or whatever. As the saying goes, the worst they can do is laugh in my face.

I did a bit more google digging, and apparently "4B" is the boilerplate Air Force RE code for any weight control discharge.

The only folks that can change your RE: code is the AFBCMR. You file a case with them, and you can elect to present yourself before the board in Washington, or at one of the "traveling boards" that goes around the country. Or you could even have them examine the case without you present.

It really pays to be present, much higher success rates.

Showing that you're fit and have been fit, and that there was stuff that lead to your weight control issues that were either out of your hands, or mitigating, would all help. Professing a greater degree of maturity and respnsibility, etc etc. It's all about impressing them really for something like this.

For other types of AFBCMR cases it gets much more semi-judicial.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Otisburg posted:

Thanks for the lowdown. I think if I'd been a bit more in my right head and had less severe life stuff going down, I'd have kept it together and not gotten fatty booted. Dumbest mistake I made was taking a humanitarian reassignment stateside to be closer to my dying mom. Sounds callous, I know, but it pulled me out of my AFSC and put me in the company of people who were ate up even by AF standards. I'll ponder how to present the mitigating crap and make it not sound like I'm reading them my livejournal.

Since I didn't have any other discipline problems, if I can get a lid on the weight thing and maintain, maybe I can get a do-over on the mistakes of my youth. Worst case they tell me nope and I'll have been maintaining a healthier weight "for nothing."

If you need help writing up your appeal and someone to give a close look at it, lemme know.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Nimmy posted:

I guess this is the place. I graduated law school 2 and a half years ago and for 2 years did a really awful job for no money and have been drowning under student loan debt. Lost the job a few months ago. I DO NOT want to practice law, which is a big problem. I am also not a self starter, so it is very difficult for me to find a job. Once employed I can work long and hard and have no problems. So for these reasons, I am about 90% to thinking that a commission in some branch is the career path for me. It's a steady pay check, student loans I THINK will be taken care of in a decade, and I'm confident that I will test high and be able to do some cool stuff. I have no interest in being a JAG and I'm not licensed in any state anyway, so please don't mention it.

Any advice? Is this a smart move? Dumb move? What branch should I look at? I am positive I would not pass an eye test, but everything else physically is not an issue.

I mean, you could commission I guess, but that poo poo really works out best for self starting super motivated types. Successful officers tend to be the ones that are extremely hard working, self motivated, mission focused types. Or they just really like to run marathons and poo poo, your mileage may vary.

Have you considered enlisting? The expectations are low, and the pay is pretty drat good. Plus you can't beat free healthcare and food and poo poo. Within a few very short years you can be making American middle class money, and simultaneously working less and having more freedom and leeway given to you.

If you were to enlist, you will find that you are always the smartest guy in the room-- and since you're already a lawyer, when your inevitable enlisted problems happen (And they will) you can cover your own rear end and probably be the most successful barracks/dorm lawyer in the history of the DoD.

I mean hey man, if you're a non self starting motivation lacking type, you could at least be the king of that kingdom by enlisting. Excelling in that environment is goddamned easy. Whereas excelling as an officer is.. downright difficult. Not because the bar is set all that high on important stuff, but more so because it's set pretty high on retardedly unimportant stuff.

You might think I'm kidding, but I'm really not.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

vacation in kabul posted:

If you have a four year degree and enlist instead of pursuing something in a career field you are interested in you are certifiably retarded.

On the other hand, this advice is coming from VIK, so it's street value is roughly that of a blowjob from a preop tranny behind a denny's. $12.45sh by my count. More if you want eye contact.

Real Talk:

This guy doesn't have the motivation to be a lawyer. He thinks that the FBI, CIA, and State Department are going to be real possibilities for him. They are not. The amount of neurotic super type-a's that make it into those organizations is absolutely insane. Nobody winds up as a case officer because it was a fallback after they turned out to not be enough of a self starter to practice law.

He probably has some amount of debt and a real need to get health insurance and a new path in life.

He could attempt to become an officer, which is rather competitive right now, and owe even more service commitment AND have to deal with doing a bunch of high motivation self starting BS just to stay an officer..

Or he could enlist, pick a niche specific job that interests him and he'd like to do as a career-- get the training and qual's, spend a few years doing retarded enlisted stuff, get out free of debt and start his new life in whatever field it is that's interesting to him.

We're not telling the guy to go become a 13F as a former lawyer. That would itself be retarded. But if he's interested in lets say-- intelligence or counterintelligence, or some of the medical fields, or any number of interesting skills there are great opportunities you can take being enlisted.

I never would have wanted to be an officer personally, the pay gap isn't so astounding for me because I have a successful spouse, but the difference in absolutely retarded bullshit is fairly astounding. Plus I hate being responsible for the random gently caress ups of others. And frankly, there are a lot of times when I just don't have the loving motivation to do the retarded officer poo poo. It's just not a good fit for me, and a lot of other people.

So I really do feel like the "OMG U HAEV A DEGREEZ U SHULD BE OFFICERS WITH SHINEY RANKS" is retarded advice. There are pro's and con's to everything, and dealing in absolutes like "DO NOT ENLIST WITH A DEGREE" is just as retarded as anything else with the military.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

The only people who think like that really don't know much outside of being enlisted. You're loving stupid if you enlist with a degree, end of story.

VIK, I know this may be hard for you to fathom, but 1) A college degree is not nearly the valuable and rare commodity that you think it is and 2) A good paying job with excellent benefits and opportunities to learn something you want to learn and do IS an increasingly rare unicorn.

If this guy doesn't want to be a lawyer, isn't a self starter or exceedingly motivated, enlisting to get training in a job that interests him and benefits and pay that are extremely good in today's economy isn't a bad idea. It's an even more attractive idea if he goes guard or reserves.

If he wanted to change his career path and go into IT he could go get a few years IT experience, a clearance, and someone to foot the bill for a new degree. If he wanted to go into medical and do laboratory technology, or diagnostic imaging it's the same deal. If he wanted to work on nuclear reactors, guess what-- he could enlist and do that. If he wanted to be an air traffic controller, he could do that. There are loving tons of jobs and opportunities available to someone when they enlist, and they can get out of the deal what they wish and come out ahead for having enlisted.

The only idiot here is you brother. But we've come to expect a certain, quality, to advice that you provide. And you are certainly not disappointing.

Generally if you've got a degree, are motivated, self starting, and wish to be a leader/manager-- go and commission, there are a lot of opportunities for you if you fit that bill. Otherwise, enlisting offers a range of benefits and opportunities that are very much worth looking into even if you graduated with a 2.67 GPA from North Dakota State Online with a degree in gender studies and a minor in ceramic arts.

Me personally, if I graduated from law school I'd try and go JAG- but that's getting pretty damned competetive these days, and he's not interested in it. So myself and others are trying to give him pragmatic advice about joining the military, and providing options outside of commissioning. We're not saying "ENLIST DONT BE AN OFFICER, YOU WILL BE A BETTER OFFICER IF YOU ENLIST" or anything like that.

Frankly, you're being a bit of oval office.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

the whole have degree = magically commission??? thing is kind of overblown around here, it's not nearly as simple and a long drawn out process with it ending most likely in not being accepted.

But but but if VIK had finished his degree he could have commissioned on a whim and been a magical graduate of OCS!! Becoming an officer is just as easy as enlisting and the only differences between being enlisted and an officer are better pay and not picking up cigarette butts for Staff Sarn't!!!! Being an Officer is the greatest thing ever and its the only way you should ever be in the military if you have a degree!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

I'm not, you're typing out huge replies trying to justify an absolutely ridiculous, retarded assertion you're making. Here, read this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnebersole/2012/08/08/why-a-college-degree/

If you earn a degree you earn almost 1 million dollars more, on average, over your lifetime than the people without one. Guess what you don't need a degree for and would gently caress that curve for you? Enlisting. You don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Right, but if you can't get a commission you shouldn't be looking at the military if you have a college degree.

:allears:

Not only is the real value of a college degree a joke in many cases, particularly now and particularly when weighed against its costs, but your blind faith that having a degree equates to economic security makes me laugh. You never stopped being a shiftless stupid college student. Look at you-- you've got "Two cars and a house!!" and unemployment insurance to boot. You've got this financial security thing on lock down VIK, tell us more about how we could do this better.

I'm not saying the only economic security that exists is joining the military. I'm just saying that enlisting in the military is one path a person can take. It made a hell of a lot more economic sense than going into debt for a college degree with a questionable economic outcome in the end for me, and it worked out alright.

Again, you're kind of being a oval office.

Could you be a bigger loving lifer? Why don't you regale us with more of your bullshit stories about how you were such a badass in the AF you butthurt little bitch.

Ah there we go, good sensible VIK posting. You should take a few deep breaths, and drive one of your two cars(!!!) around your house(!!!) abit and calm down. You're taking someone disagreeing with you about enlisting/commissioning rather personal :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 13, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

I'm not being a oval office, you're just really, really, really, really, really stupid.

edit: You're repeating a bunch of stuff that I've heard people who are generally unsuccessful in life say. Interestingly enough most of those people are in the military.

RARGH. I HEARD PEOPLE SAY THIS BEFORE AND THEY WEREN'T AS SUCCESSFUL AS ME WITH BOTH OF MY CARS AND MY HOUSE. RARGH. I AM VIK. RARGH I TAKE THE INTERNET SERIOUSLY.

If I just quoted the gently caress out of Tony Robbins would that make you happier? Because he's a p. successful dude.

I mean I was just trying to offer up an alternative for the guy to think about, not tell him exactly what he should do with his life, but I mean.. you're the loving guru and all man.

Tell us more about what people should do w/ their lives in order to get two cars (!!!) and a house(!!!).

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

I'm enlisted and have 3 cars :smug:

You must have been really good @ enlisted. Screw VIK's advice, I want this mans advice.

t/f if I enlist will I actually make less money throughout my life and wind up living in the shadow/gutters of people with two cars(!!!) and a house(!!!)??

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

but no motorcycle? a shameful enlisted

also taking life advice from an unemployed former artillery guy who spent 4 years in college with no degree sounds like an awesome plan

I don't think you get it man. This guy has it on lockdown, his lifestyle is baller as gently caress, with his multiple cars, and a home.

I mean he'd be on cribs if he didn't think MTV stopped being cool when they didn't air his sisters episode of 16 and pregnant.

VIK, do us a solid and start sperging out some more and maybe get all internet offended and stuff. It's p. much the funniest thing ever.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 13, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

I never said I'm a genius, but taking advice from an admitted alcoholic who is supposedly a trailer park jew with marital and mental problems who lies about what he did in the military and is generally the scummiest-sounding person here is an even worse idea.

I'm lol'ing brother.

I'm lol'ing hard.

Keep raging.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDbIxIS2KWE

Also a dude who likes his internet voice to sound like Hulk Hogan.

Hey man, you can trash the fact that I'm a jewy bastard, but don't disrespect the Hulkamania.

C'mon.

Show some respect.

Edit: BROTHER.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 13, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Secret Spoon posted:

Also I would like to meat an O who has to deal with this kind of poo poo and get paid below about 29k a year.

Freudian slip?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

root beer posted:

Could anyone give me a rundown of how being a CTN compares to similar MOSs in other branches? I've read a lot on these forums about being a CTN / 25 series, but not so much about AF field 3D and literally nothing about USMC field 06 (which I suspect may be telling in and of itself).

Something tells me the 3D field is the most lucrative of them all.

I am enlisting within the year (ignore the avatar) and even though I've settled on what general category of work I want to do, I'm conflicted on branch. I guess it'll come down to what will benefit me the most on the outside once I'm done with my 4 years; does any particular branch offer more tech-related benefits (like certifications and poo poo) than the others?

I come from a military family so I've been subjected to some bias, I just want to know what will benefit me most overall once I actually leave the service. Saying I want to do anything but infantry to my devil dog relatives is a shibboleth. :(

Great use of shibboleth :)

What exactly are you wanting to do when you leave service? If you're wanting to just do IT work, the MOS'/rates/AFSC's we can recommend are a little different than if you wanted to specifically do stuff like infosec and hacking type work. They're also somewhat different if you wanted to be on the programming side of IT or if maybe you wanted to go into the intelligence gathering/mx side of government IT work.

There is a great deal of cross over, venn diagram wise, between a lot of these but if you've got your heart set on something specific or at least a good idea of where you'd like to land as a civilian we can probably offer up a better recommendation.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Seriously if 35 series MOS's are interesting you look at the USAF as well..

I personally rank them as follows:

1N4X1
1A8X2
1N1X1
1N0X1
1N3X1
1N5X1

Then you've got your navy rates-- and honestly they promote faster and a lot of times have cooler missions-- the IS rate isn't bad at all, and you can specialize in different stuff within the rate. But the really hot commodity right now is the CTN rate. If I were 18 years old right now about to enlist again, I'd join the navy and go CTN. Barring that I'd enlist in the USAF as a 1A8X2 or 1N4.

I can't emphasize enough how lovely life is for the vast majority of the army. Unless you're super high speed and motivated and get stuff guaranteed in your contract to go to certain units/training -- and you succeed at that, you stand a reasonably good chance of having a fairly lovely life in the Army. Naturally, your mileage may vary-- and your tolerance threshold for bullshit will really determine how much you hate poo poo.

I would seriously give the Navy and the IS / CTN rates a look, and maybe the USAF Intel AFSC's as well.. I'd leave the army as a tertiary option at this point... even with the student loan issue, and here is why: Even if you're not able to get a student loan repayment thing going with the AF/USN, I believe you can get a interest free time out for joining up, and since you'll live the in barracks/dorms/ship or whatever, you can put a real dent on your student debt just from your pay. One good deployment should knock out a great deal of the debt to be honest. Just some things to think about/look into.

Does anyone remember if the Student Loan Repayment business eats into your GI bill eligibility time? I want to say I've had to deal with guys who didn't get 100% of the post 9/11 because they didn't serve enough years after the SLRP stuff. If I'm wrong lemme know, but I'm p. sure this is the case.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Ironman posted:

Everything you just said was very interesting but I can't help but think that you are just trolling me with that avatar, dude.

lol

Feel free to ignore my advice, enjoy the army! Best of luck!

:)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I just waked and baked so I'm not my sharpest-- you guys are being ironic when you suggest getting married for sweet BAH money, right?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I had far more money in the bank account when I was single and living in the dorms. At least for the first year or two I was married.

Being actually married and furnishing / keeping up a house is a fuckload more expensive than dorm living with a free chowhall.

10 years ago the basic pay for a young enlisted guy weren't exactly stellar. When I joined I got $1,050 a month. I think after all the taxes and what not I was getting something like $390 a paycheck. After 2 years I was an E-3 making $1,442 a month.

Now if a guy joins up as an E-1 he makes $1,516 a month from the day he swears in, and after 2 years as an E-3 he'll be making $1,900 a month. And a lot of the services have their guys at E-4 by 2 years these days. That's $2,081 a month.

You can seriously save a ton of money by staying single and in the barracks/dorms. Though the freedom from not having to deal with barracks/dorm poo poo might be worth more than that to you.

I left the military (retired) with a very large amount of money saved up, and invested. It's pretty easy to do with just a modicum of fiscal discipline.. Nobody should be leaving service without at the very least, 10k in savings. Preferably a gently caress load more than that. Married or not, really. Though for full disclosure, I had a pretty good enlistment/re-enlistment bonus.. it was probably much easier for me to save up as much as I did with those two things. I hear the enlistment/re-enlistment bonuses aren't what they once were these days.

Edit: I've seen a lot of dudes get busted for BAH fraud, at my joint assignment they were almost always Navy, so I dunno. But yeah-- it's usually pretty obvious who is committing fraud and who isn't. You'd have to have next to no real relationships with the people you work with to pull it off.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

You should marry for love. :)

Well, I love Anal.

So it worked out.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you're thinking about using TA or the GI Bill to pay for schooling that's an option as well.

Also a lot of bases have Aero clubs that are pretty cheap that can help you get various certs. I got my PPL in Florida, and did the rest of my training in IL with our Aero Club.. IFR, etc.

I have 0 interest in flying commercially though, so I took my time and treated it like a fun hobby personally. But you don't technically have to become an officer to get to learn how to fly, and get the GI bill, etc.

Though I highly recommend you attempt that path first as it's best, and only enlist if you find a careerfield that you think you'd love, to get the gi bill and all that.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Ironman posted:

A thorough background check, interviews with friends and family, would definitely show that when I was 17 I sought help from my family doctor about anxiety. I'm 25 now. Would that "being bad for my career" mean disqualification or would it be something worse like a fine or a criminal charge? The specific MOSes that were shown today that excited me were 35P Cryptologic Linguist, and 35M Human Intelligence Collector. If I'm going to enlist, I want something exciting and something challenging. If nothing else is realistic I would choose infantry (wasn't even offered, only 18x and I'm definitely not at a perfect APFT score yet).

Privacy laws are your friend in this regard. The people investigating you for a clearance aren't the same people that give a poo poo about medical qualifications for enlistment. And they don't tend to talk.

And also this was 8 years ago.. so.. straight from the SF86:

quote:

21.1 In the last seven (7) years, have you consulted with a health care professional regarding an emotional or mental health condition or were you hospitalized for such a condition? Answer 'No' if the counseling was for any of the following reasons and was not court-ordered:
- strictly marital, family, grief not related to violence by you; or
- strictly related to adjustments from service in a military combat environment

It would be no. So this is entirely a non issue for both your clearance, and entrance into the military. Just don't make a deal about it with your recruiter/MEPs and you'll be fine.

On the other hand, I feel like it would be a good idea for you to stop and consider that not long ago in your past you had issues with anxiety-- and how those issues stand a good chance of happening again under the stresses of military life. We have a mental health epidemic in the military, with insane suicide rates, and high rates of issues with anxiety, ptsd, and substance abuse. There are various schools of thought as to why this is, but the real important fact for you: These are problems you are much more likely to encounter as a result of service in the military. If life as a 17 year old was kicking your rear end enough to cause some mental health issues, I guess it could be no big deal-- maybe it was just a one time thing I guess. But everything we know now after 12 years of war and increasing mental health problems in our ranks seems to indicate that is the sort of thing that makes it even more likely for you to run into problems in the military. That's on top of the increased risk just by virtue of putting on a uniform.

So I guess what I'm saying is-- you won't have a hard time getting in or getting a clearance with what you've described, but be honest with yourself and drat sure that you are ready for this.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Bright Eyes posted:

Apparently my waiver w/ documents from my optometrist saying my vision is correctable to 20/20 was denied.

1. I test correctable to 20/25 at MEPS. The job I want requires 20/20. However, I'm enlisted in a job that also requires 20/20.

2. Submit documents from 6 months ago saying I can correct to 20/20 and MEPS probably hosed up or I read a letter wrong.

3. "He could have told the optometrist a sob story, and we only want people 100% qualified." ~ What my recruiter says he was told by the waiver guy.

4. I had the appointment 6 months before I even went to MEPS, before I knew I tested 20/25.

5. Now my recruiter says I should just drop out as it's never going to happen.

:psyduck:
What the gently caress?

vvv It's CTN.

It wasn't even that long ago that being a near sighted felon with a history of mental health issues and a wife and kid wasn't even an impediment to getting into the military.

Goddamn things have gotten weird, fast.

I'm 100% positive I couldn't get into the military today if I tried. Guess I was an idiot at the right time and place.

I'm hearing that security clearances are getting harder to get/keep now too-- from multiple sources.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Deep Winter posted:

Looking for advice on what to do. I have no job. I live in a poo poo area. Only jobs are cashier and McDonalds. I have an education in I.T.. AAS in computer/network support from a tiny community college in my tiny town.

Problem is, this degree is useless. Every IT job in the nearby Big City wants a 4-year degree.

My girlfriend and I rent a house, we survive off her income.

I'm thinking about joining a military branch. Get paid to train and learn and get fit, then use the G.I. Bill to get a degree.

I 'm scared. I am not going to work in McDs for the rest of my life. I want out.

Get fit before the military. The Military won't get you fit or keep you fit, it's a self controlled thing.

Sorry to hear the life situation is sucking. Having a 2 year degree helps with your initial rank though.

Which branch are you thinking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Dirty_Moses posted:

I even used the chart and it makes me feel retarded but I'm still lost.

I can go to college. Money is not a problem in the slightest.

I still would like the join the military, probably Navy or Airforce, but I have gently caress all idea of whether I would want to enlist or get a commission. I know I don't want to have a military career, if that factors into that decision. But I feel like I should join for some reason. A higher calling, if you're feeling fruity.

The recruiter, and yeah I know they're lying scum, came by a few months ago and I've really been considering it. Especially something called an Intelligence Officer, since I like writing and journalism and it seems like compiling intel would at least be somewhat related. But maybe not. I know jack poo poo.

I feel like before I get baked and take us all down the rabbit hole, I should have you answer some questions:

What about the intel officer world interests you?

How do you see the daily life of an intel officer going? It's ok to have some off base assumptions, you have no real frame of reference. Just want to know what your current assumptions are.

I have 2 apples, I give you 5 apples, but three are rotten. How much weed is Larhonda shorting me on these dime bags?

Your answer to this question helps me assess your aptitude at being a USAF intel officer.

• Locked thread