Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Merlinicus posted:

For Navy OCS, what are the minimums for the PST (to graduate/pass, not just to enter)? IE, on this form which row do I need for each activity

And how does the swimming portion work? I can absolutely crush the swim times, but I don't think I understand how they work with the rest of the PST components.

~edit~ I finally found the answer for the PT stuff buried in the Navy OCS website:

I'm still not sure how the swimming portion works though, if anyone can help with that.

The swim is an alternative cardio event that commands can optionally let people do in place of the run if they have, e.g., joint problems and can't run well. At OCS you have to do the run, there's no swim part of the PRT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

xSousuke posted:

Heres a question, I've heard mixed statements from people I've asked before. I've got flat feet, I was born with them and I have no arch whatsoever and I have to wear orthopedic inserts just to tolerate standing/walking for a few hours. Some people have told me that this is disqualifies you from any of the armed forces.

Could someone clarify this for me?

I've got flat feet (maybe not quite as bad), and had no trouble getting a waiver from the Navy. As long as you can handle regular running and other activity with your orthotics and a decent pair of shoes it shouldn't be a big deal. It might be disqualifying for the Army or Marines since they're a lot more ruck-oriented, but I wouldn't want to ruck 20 miles on flat feet anyway.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iceslice posted:

Google SORB for more info army side.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/sorb/ :raise:

Not sure what rank requirements you mean for Army side, but SEALs (well, SEAL selection) will take completely green ensigns.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BUSH 2112 posted:

In all honesty, I'd really like to have a job aboard some kind of aircraft, like the people who do midair refueling, that looks incredible.

Just as a note since you mentioned the Navy, the only Navy people who do this right now are Hornet pilots. The Air Force pretty much runs the entire big-wing multi-crew tanker business. We've got at least one AF tanker crewman around here, so poke around the AF thread if you're interested in that. If you just mean aircrew of any kind, then Navy and Air Force both have a variety of positions.

As far as your background, it doesn't sound too bad as long as you've turned things around in the last few years and are doing okay. Plenty of people do stupid stuff when they're young and stupid, but if you get your poo poo squared away without a criminal record then the military is usually pretty reasonable.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, biggest mistake I made at MEPS was not bringing a book. A long book.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Valley Stared posted:

I have a question about Navy OCS: I'm reporting in a few days, and one of the things I haven't gotten a great answer to is how much money to bring. The main webpage for OCS says to have $300.00 but command said to not have more than $20.00 when all was said and done. Do you guys think I should just follow the OCS page and have the $300 on hand and hope that no one steals it?

Having access to $300 or so sounds like a good idea in order to buy useful stuff at the NEX, but assuming you have credit/debit cards you don't need that much actual cash. The only thing I remember needing cash for was like $10 for the initial hair cut (for some reason that couldn't get billed to your account like everything else they issue you). You'll have a locker, though, so you can keep whatever you bring secure. I'd just go with whatever you normally carry in cash.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stolennosferatu posted:

Also, will any branch let you put your job in the contract if you're commissioned or is it only possible with enlisting?

The Navy does for OCS. Not sure about other branches. You'll apply and get selected for a specific designator (e.g., supply corps if you want to do logistics) that goes on the contract you sign before going to OCS.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

themrguy posted:

Also my recruiter called me again today and apologized profusely and told me that MEPS was not representative of the navy at all, make of that what you will.

Yeah, MEPS is actually a fantastic representation of most medical or administrative processes you'll encounter in the military. It's about 100x better as an officer, but it really hammers home the "lowest common denominator" mindset of most military policies. If that's not something you can put up with on a regular basis, you should start running away very fast.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Chantilly Say posted:

So, at the most basic level, what does an intel officer do day-to-day in the military? Particularly Navy. I have no illusions about writing briefings that go to the President's desk every morning--but presumably you do write briefings, and probably give some powerpoints that, at some point, someone may pay attention to. Or is it (as I heard once) just sitting in a windowless office in Maryland for four years.

Help me make not terrible major life decisions please, thanks.

Things our (Navy aviation) Intel O does:
- Manage classified material, keeping inventories and handling any transportation requirements for it.
- Coordinate security clearance investigations and verify clearances.
- Other security manager things, like setting safe combinations and making sure doors get locked.
- Give briefs to the squadron about security management, current events, and other intel-related stuff.
- Hang out in the operations office and make fun of the pilots. It's not a very stressful job, most of the time.

When we embark on a carrier, he goes to work in the carrier intel center, making powerpoints, working weird hours with weird people, generally hating life.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Recruiters aren't the ones that decide who gets a security clearance. Yes, strictly speaking it's harder to get a clearance with a DWI than without one, but if you're up front about it with the investigators and it's been responsibly handled, there's no reason not to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zotix posted:

I've looked into it, but I don't think it'll really be an option with my major, which is Political Science.

The Navy doesn't care what your major was. Seriously. There are tons of pilots flying around with history degrees. And Poli Sci is probably one of the better majors for an officer, IMO, especially if you stick around for a while. You're working for a government organization, after all.

• Locked thread