Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
More than likely depression/etc would be a disqualifier for the military and actual service, not with the clearance itself. Or so I would imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

Just outta curiosity, if your therapist has put you on antidepressants as a teenager, how does the military find out? Do they pull your records, or is it just something they ask people when they do their background check?

You're required to reveal any and all conditions up front, they pull your records anyway, and if you have a clearance investigation it'll be brought up somewhere.

Certainly, there's a chance you can hide it. But I wouldn't want to take that risk.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The difference is really 'we don't want this guy to have access' vs. 'we can't trust this guy to have access'.

Your service will gently caress you for the former.

The government as a whole will gently caress you for the latter.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bright Eyes posted:

Ha, sorry. If I go through MEPS as Air Force, and am cleared, but decide I want go enlist Army, will I have to go back to MEPS all over again?

You'll have to sign your contract at MEPS but at least you won't have to duck walk.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bright Eyes posted:

What do you mean my contract to enlist? I was under the impression that I just got my physical and made a wishlist of jobs. This is through Air Force.

With the Army, you sign your contract at MEPS. What you have on your contract is what you get; there is no wish list or anything. So if you want to do HUMINT, you get that in your contract and you sign it.

Usually you go to MEPS the night before, stay in a hotel, wake up in the morning and do the physical exam, then sign your contract in the afternoon. If you went to MEPS via the AF, you would just have to come back and sign your contract with the Army.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I forgot the rule but if your training lasts longer than 15(?) months you have to enlist for 6 years. It's pretty much universal across all the services, at least as far as I remember.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Antignition posted:

Unfortunately no. I'm hoping that after I take the ASVAB and get all my poo poo together he'll back down. Even though he's given a half assed effort he's been dealing with me for 4 months already so hopefully he'll take something over nothing.

And yeah, I'm aware everything he told me is a bunch of crap, the problem is he makes it sound like he isn't going to let me enlist at all unless I do the 6 years. I guess we'll find out. Maybe I will try another recruiter and go through this process AGAIN if I have to, but this is getting ridiculous.

The Army used to do it totally differently, once you actually got into MEPS your recruiter stayed outside the liaison's office and had no input as to what you signed on for. The liaison couldn't tell you anything other than what was available, but what job you picked and how long you enlisted for was between them and you. I don't know if they still do it like that though, or if the AF has anything similar.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Uroboros posted:

In the same boat essentially, although the Corps was gracious enough to make me a Capt one month prior to giving me the boot. I have a POG (Log-O) background but would like to get into something more security/law enforcement oriented. I'd even be interested in Special Ops but I kind of figured you would need a grunt background for that.

At this point it is really a toss up on what direction I could take. After speaking with a few local Army recruiters I was kind of reminded why I didn't have any interest in them to begin with since they came off as utterly clueless and disinterested. At the moment I am applying to State Law Enforcement, the rationale being it allows me to stay close to friends and family, but could be used as a springboard to Federal organizations should I grow sick of living in rural Illinois.

Any advice from individuals who were RIF'd from their respective organizations, but wished to maintain something resembling a military career?

Go State Department like I'm trying to.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Uroboros posted:

Vasudus, why the State Department as opposed to one of the other numerous federal agencies available?

Lots of travel, foreign assignments in places that DoD never go and a huge variety in your daily work schedule. Still has rather rigid organization, good benefits, etc.

Downside is that it's a touch difficult to get into currently.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

iKon posted:

Yep. SLRP is a 36 month program, so after 36 months your time in service resets in the eyes of the post 9/11 GI Bill. For example, go in under SLRP and do four years of service, you'll end up getting the full SLRP and ~50% of the GI Bill. I think (someone else correct me here) you have to do another 36 months after your initial term if you want both SLRP and 100% of the post 9/11 GI Bill.

This is correct. Most 4 year enlistments with SLRP end up being 60% Post 9/11. Need to do 6 years to get both.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My MEPS experience was rather quick and painless in 2002, minus the fact that I was somehow disqualified initially because the doctor didn't like how I did the ditch-digging movement thing. My dad was a contractor, I've been digging ditches since I was like four. Motherfucker I know how to dig a ditch. So I got temp DQ'ed and had to come back two weeks later, where the exact same doctor saw me do the gesture once and said I was good.

This mirrors my experience with administration and medical quite well throughout my service.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ohms posted:

So when would you move your belongings?

They've probably changed it by now, probably, but if you're single you don't get HHG or anything to your first duty station.

How much poo poo could you possibly have? You've moving into a shoebox that you probably have to share with another dude. Think dorm rooms, but you have to actually keep it super clean. TV, xbox/PS3, some clothes, end.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've seen one dude get busted for BAH fraud and it wasn't pretty. He was also a colossal retard, so it's entirely possible he opened his mouth too much.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Pyrok posted:

On a side note: He told me that the GI bill will not help me pay for loans that I've already accrued, are there any programs that might help me with those?

Correct. The GI Bill does not pay loans. The Student Loan Repayment Plan (SLRP) does, and MAY be an option if you enlist. Do be aware that taking the SLRP will add 3 years to your obligation for your GI Bill - you need 6 years to collect the 100% rate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
6 years of AD time is necessary to get both SLRP and the FULL GI Bill, assuming you got SLRP on your contract. If you did a 4 year it would be 60% Post 9/11, for example. How much reserves/inactive time is up to your contract and whatever they are offering right now. SLRP covers up to a certain dollar amount, I'm not sure offhand how much. I am posting from my phone, you see.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gfanikf posted:

No I know its just part of the routine for so long and iirc the age limit is 30, isn't?

Age limit is 34 I think right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I hate to break it to you, but to the military any form of mental illness to include: ADHD, Depression, Anxiety or any other thing that required you at any point in time to see a mental health professional, ever, is a disqualifier. I've heard stories of people getting turned away at MEPS because they had to see a shrink when their parents were getting divorced TEN YEARS PRIOR. During the surge.

I've got news for you, the military is in drawdown mode. They don't want people who have a bad enough case of loving acne. You think I'm joking but go ask HCT, who posted that story a few months prior. If you think that the military is going to take you with a diagnosed mental illness (which ADHD is, sorry bud) that requires easily abused medication you're mistaken.

Dirty_Moses posted:

That said, my doctor has told me that the structure of the military is actually beneficial for ADHD sufferers, because really, the true cure for the drat thing is exercise, work, and less video games. In his experience at least.

I'm sorry that your doctor told you a blatant loving lie, but the military is a loving meatgrinder at the lower tiers (aka the first 15 years of your service, until you make E7+/O4+ which you will probably never see). The military is work, wait, work, play Xbox, wait, work, repeat. It's work because it's somehow so loving exhausting doing all that waiting.

Dirty_Moses posted:

It has already been stated in the thread that if I stop taking the medicine for twelve months then I can, though.

No, it was said that if you stopped for a year you would be eligible for a waiver. Just because you're eligible doesn't mean poo poo, because they aren't going to push the waiver when they've got dozens of people behind you that don't require one.

You want to serve your country? Go join the peace corps. Serious.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, there's quite a difference between "I have lots of debt that may be hard to repay" vs "I have so much debt I'm willing to sell secrets to pay it back".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sasgrillo posted:

Also since TS clearance was mentioned I had a question about that too. Would the activities of friends and relatives be counted against that person even if they're squeaky clean?

The most important thing to ask yourself is "Will this factor cause me to not be trusted with classified information?"

(In your example the answer is no, it would not)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
All this has happened before, and will happen again.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

not caring here posted:

To be honest that's probably most of our actual IRL responses.

I snorted in class when I read it on my iPad, this is true.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Alternatively, join the FFL or fly to South Africa and ask around to join some merc groups. He probably won't die for asking.

If he became an 11/12B RIGHT NOW, as in MEPS today, ships tomorrow, BCT starts on Monday, he'll still probably miss out on Afghanistan.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

I'm considering who to pick for my five letters of recommendations for my application to USAF OTS, and just had an off the wall idea. I played World of Warcraft for 6 years, until about a year ago, and normally I would never mention such a thing at any kind of job interview/application. The only reason I'm even humoring it is because I was a guild/raid leader of a single guild that lasted that entire span, managing the tactics and drama of 30-50 people. Even though I don't play anymore, I'm still good friends with several people from that time, including my successor who himself is a Army Captain, who would definitely write a glowing recommendation that demonstrated leadership of a large group.

That said, I'm still loathe to consider it because of the video game aspect. I don't need this recommendation, I have plenty of other, more conventional, ones. If I don't use it for a LOR should it ever be mentioned at all, like as leadership experience? I'm still leaning pretty heavily toward "no".

Under absolutely positively no circumstances should you use video games for anything, ever.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kanyeshna posted:

Is the ASVAB important at all beyond qualifying for a certain MOS? that is, does it effect promotion rates, selection for technical schools, etc?

If your GT score is above 120 you'll never hear about it ever again. If you scored under I think 110 your unit might send you to FAST classes.

Other than that, it's never used for anything else ever.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only thing that changed between BCT and AIT was the guideon color. It's now black!!!!!!

loving OSUT. 15 weeks of BCT basically.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

So I've gotta fill out an SF86 and boy howdy this is a bitch. For foreign contacts, I worked in a goddamned physics department. I knew people from all sorts of countries that I was friendly with but not really friends with. Some of these people come from fun countries like Iran and China. I've listed all the people I was actually hang-out friends with and people I directly worked with. However, I am trying to determine if I should list just every foreign national that I can remember having any sort of contact with in the physics dept as a graduate. Yes, the Iranian would be one of these people I'd talk to in the hall occasionally and that was about it.

You have to list anyone that had significant contact. Passing a dude in the hall making small talk doesn't require an entry. Now, if that Iranian fellow was your project lead or something, that's a bit different.

When in doubt, be sure to clarify things with your security officer / investigator.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Feed Me A Cat posted:

So after I realized that USNR enlisted service was the worst idea I have ever come up with, I'm looking at Air National Guard officer positions. Is this a less terrible idea than before? If I do start talking to the recruiters, should I be content to pick out of what jobs are available nearby, or is moving to get a desired job at a particular unit a doable thing?

Doing things as an officer is probably ten times better of an idea. I can't say if it's a good idea, as that depends on a bunch of factors, but that's certainly not the worst idea.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Go into things expecting that your enlistment is going to be a social and developmental black hole. You might be able to accomplish things, sure, but don't plan on it. Think of it as going to prison, but with benefits when you get out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

quote:

"After 18 months of training the courses, due to how hard it is, you'll be about 6 to 9 credits off of getting your bachelor's degree"

False. No (legitimate) school in the universe would accept that much military training for a real degree. Ket has a "Nuclear Technology" degree from a diploma mill school that he doesn't even list on his resume. He's getting a real degree now.

quote:

"You'd easily hit E-5 within six months of finishing your training, which is where I am after four years."

Kinda true. Nukes do promote differently but so what.

quote:

"After you went in and served two years post the 18 months of training, you'd be able to get re-signing bonuses for up to $90,000."

True, but you probably won't want to do it. Assuming you've made it past your initial enlistment and you're eligible for a reup you're probably going to hate the Navy with every fiber of your being. There's a reason the bonus is so high.

quote:

"Even after you'd left the military, due to the training being so expensive for private companies, you'd easily make six figures in a year."

False. You might be able to get a pretty okay job with a real engineering degree in addition to your military experience. Not six figures, at least not to start, just like almost any career field.

Read the nuke thread in this very forum. Please. It'll open your eyes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The military seems to have this mass illusion that any college degree is better than no college degree. Except that the real world does not work remotely like that, especially for things like engineering. They don't see that a school that magically accepted 100+ credits isn't legitimate outside, nor do they care. Simply put, anybody currently in the active duty environment likely has no idea what it's like to get a real job in the outside world.

Nukes promote faster, which shouldn't be a thing that decides if you're going to take the plunge. At best, it's a fringe benefit. Remember that the military is basically a trick; they aren't out there looking at your well being when they offer these sort of incentives. It's because of one of two reasons: it's either impossibly hard to staff due to a high skill requirement, or it's impossibly hard to staff because it's a miserable job. Nuke positions are the lucky winners and are both - they are extremely hard to pass in school AND are generally terrible, terrible jobs.

I'm not trying to stray you away from serving, just trying to point you into a field that won't make you consider suicide AND you might walk out of it with some actual useful skills.

ninja edit: beaten twice, gently caress. This is why you don't watch movies and post at the same time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's what happens when you have to read every single post in the nuke and navy thread. I still don't know what half the loving lingo means but whatever.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When you get promoted to E5/E6, you're at risk to be selected for either recruiter or drill sergeant, if they don't get enough volunteers. It's highly likely that on your quest to be E7, you will have to do at least one of these.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dstyle posted:

It's coming up on time for me to pick a MOS and head off to MEPS. I'm not terribly concerned about what job I get in the Army, but what I really don't want to happen is to get stationed somewhere in Bumblefuck, Alabama with my thumb up my rear end all day. What are some MOS that are most conducive to a foreign deployment?

Please, please please please please pick something in the 35 series. Or failing that, the 25 series. But really, 35 series. Please.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I got called, again :glomp:, by my local marine recruiters and finally caved into sitting down with them. I'm a rising sophomore at a well respected uni, BioChemistry & Molecular Biology major, 3.0 GPA, no student loans, no criminal record, no drug use other than alcohol, I've had a single speeding ticket which the recruiter asked me about. After undergrad I plan to continue on to Grad School. Anyways, she mentioned the Marine Reserves have a CBRN field and that sounded cool - so I'm meeting with her next wednesday.

What questions should I ask her? What should I be careful about? I agreed to talk because playing weekend warrior with chemicals and poo poo and getting my pyro on sounds interesting.

You'll never do anything cool with chemicals or getting your pyro on. You also probably won't be doing weekend warrior stuff, though maybe.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mind telling me what CBRN actually does then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsblayR_fQ

I'm not able to tell you the specifics as I was never CBRN (though HCT was, and hopefully he'll respond whenever he reads this) but this video is probably not very far from the truth. We also have at least one chemical officer though I'll be damned if I can remember who it is.

Generally speaking, you'll hardly ever do what you signed up for. No matter the rate, no matter the service, it's *almost* universally true. Signing up for CBRN when it doesn't really benefit your future career prospects is probably a very bad idea. At the lowest levels of enlisted, which you would be, you'll probably just do decon procedures and a whole lot of loving about. But I'll let someone that actually is/was CBRN comment on that one.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

:stare:

Thanks, I'll go get some fake tats before I go in.

Well don't let it discourage you completely, just consider your options. Do you want to give a fairly significant amount of time to something that really doesn't benefit you at all for future career prospects? It's okay if you just want to do something for the prospect of it being cool, that's what a lot of us did when we first enlisted. But there are plenty of other jobs (see: anything in intelligence/signals) that let you play military AND give you a clearance + useful skills.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I have no real desire to "play military" and would solely be doing this for the 'cool factor', which would be chemicals, etc. Financially there's no point in doing it either as I have no student loans, etc. I just want to play with chemicals as an undergrad that my schools Chem. dept. won't let me touch :science:

Yeah uh, enlisting CBRN probably won't help you accomplish that. I think you do a gas chamber with a live agent one time, but that's Army and I don't know what the Marines do with it. But playing with chemicals beyond decon stuff will probably never happen, and even your decon chemicals will probably be inert for training purposes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

second best sponge posted:

I'm doing my initial research into going back into the military, again. I spent 8 years in the Marines and I'm considering the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard as possible alternatives. If I go back in, I will stay in until retirement, at least the 20 year mark. As much as I like some of civilian life, I can't really stand the meaninglessness of it so I figure I should put on a gay looking uniform and tough it out til I get a pension.

Anyone who has experience going from one branch to another, please tell me your horror stories. Thanks.

Not to put a damper on things but as all the branches are going into heavy drawdown your chances of getting in as prior service are slim. It's probably not even possible to go back in the Army with your original MOS at this point.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

i think if everyone in GiP could do it over again, we'd all join the coast guard

98X -> 35P -> 35Q if I wanted to stay in

98G? ->35F -> contractor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

All source guys really don't make that much money as contractors, and neither do linguists outside super rare like Pashto. The jobs are actually relatively uncommon. You're much better off going into one of the specialized intel fields. 35G pretty much the greatest job.

I mean I had an incredibly easy time in the Army, and have had no shortage of well paying jobs since I got out, but still...the Coast Guard. Just seems like the life.

Yeah I think I got confused. I was talking about the imagery ones and didn't have the MOS listing handy. I couldn't remember if it was G or F that was imagery.

• Locked thread