Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That's nothing out of the ordinary for the Air Force, in fact that's quicker than it took me to ship 3 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Counterpoint: Enlist with a degree.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: disregard, i'll let somebody else better answer this because of clearance poo poo

shyduck fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 10, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Antignition posted:

If I don't want a 6-year enlistment, I have to state my case in person to the local flight officer, only the recruiter doesn't know when he can set up an appointment and has no idea if my "explanations" will suffice. Considering I have to keep calling this guy and reminding him of what the situation is it's pretty clear he doesn't give two shits about whether I enlist or not. I'd rather not get out at 30 and still not have a degree.

Is this 6 year bullshit thing nationwide now or what? I was looking into Intel and Cyberspace Support mostly and didn't see anything about a mandatory 6-year enlistment in any of the job descriptions in those fields.
Assuming you're applying for active duty, that sounds like complete bullshit and they're trying to put you through the ringer. I've never heard of anybody having to sign a mandatory 6 year minimum.

The selling point of a 6 year contract is that you'll get promoted to E-3 much quicker. However, the fact that you have a lot of college credits will trump that, and you'll have E-3 once you graduate basic. There's no extra incentive for you to sign an extra 2 years, other than it helps your recruiter's stats.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Didn't know that about the 6 year contracts for long training, good to know. I'm guessing you're still stuck at 6 even if you wash out early?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm going to guess that you're going to be in better shape than the majority of the people there, including the men.

You should be fine.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

MEPS is the worst part of the military

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It depends on the branch. For the Air Force, hypothetically they can still accept you given you can score over a 65 on the ASVAB (which wipes the college requirement), which you've obviously been able to do.

The problem is there's a very limited amount of slots for GED grads these days; only about 1% of all AF enlistees per year are GED enlistees. Plus you're getting close to the age limit (for active duty AF you can be no older than 27 years 364 days on the day you arrive at BMT). Keep in mind as well that today it's harder than ever to get into the AF, no matter what the background or situation.

These standards differ by branch, but if you're interested in the AF, you need to go talk to a recruiter like right now, because your window is awfully small, and gets smaller by the day. It's not impossible though.

edit: If you're not sure about full-time active duty, AF Reserve and Air National Guard have caps at age 34, and if you're looking to do this to go to school you can still get very good benefits while serving part-time. Just an option.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 5, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

You can't be told how it sucks, you have to experience it. That's why we all still joined after being told how much it sucks. That and recruiter lies.
I ask myself every single day, why didn't I take the blue pill

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bogarts posted:

Some people are just lazy and you have to constantly ride their rear end to get anything done.
Welcome to the military.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's Navy at Scott AFB too, mainly due to being a MAJCOM base and also some aerovac related stuff.

It's the 21st century military, people are everywhere.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Redfont posted:

can't drink any alcohol even if they live off-post
lol because that's enforceable

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vandenberg is still kinda in the middle of nowhere depending on how you look at it. And yeah his recruiter hosed him over.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I know a guy that did recruiting down in the Tampa area. Clever move, because not only was he down there for a couple of years enjoying life but the high concentration of people who wanted to join made it job very easy. He never had to do any of that canvasing bullshit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I feel like you either have to leave questions blank or intentionally answer questions wrong to fail that thing

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hekk posted:

I have seen kids get single digits on the ASVAB. Multiple times in a row too. You might be asking yourself "Why would you retest a kid that scored single digits?". The answer is, I needed contracts and I had a huge van that we'd do what we called "Rock Runs" with. I'd pile all the stupid kids in who swore they'd been studying and test them all at once. If by some miracle one actually passed, he'd DEP in the next day.
Just out of curiosity, how old were a lot of these people? I weep for education in this country.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Military instructors will almost always tone down how they do things when a camera is around.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just do a courthouse wedding and then do a real wedding later on. I know several who have done that.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

How set are you on the Marine Corps? Because if you want to do something with electronics, the Navy or Air Force would probably be better fit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sorry, the cut-off for that program is an ASVAB of 99. How well can you mop a deck?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Also, have you had anybody critique your resume? Do you network (LinkedIn, etc)? I feel like there might be something holding your job search back, especially for your degree. I know you're trying but it could be you're not selling yourself correctly. 400 resumes seems like a lot to hear not a single word back, especially for somebody like yourself with a STEM degree and a decent enough GPA.

If I were you, I would definitely keep looking in the civilian sector, and leave the military as an absolute last resort.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 13, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Be wary about putting down open anything, because odds are you'll get something you don't want. Make sure you get what you want in writing, even if it means waiting a few additional months in DEP. I wouldn't do it, especially if you're going active duty. It's 4 years of your life in which you won't have a great deal of control over things, so you might as well get yourself on the path you want right now.

And don't go 6F unless you want to hate your life. It's finance for all of you playing at home.

edit: Fun side-story, I went to BMT with a guy who scored 99 on his ASVAB, and put down open general. They gave him security forces.

Do not go open anything.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 27, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay, I'm going to MEPs some time in the next two weeks (my recruiter is being a bit flakey on when, said it'd be a week five days ago, and then called me today and said it may need to wait another week). What should I expect I'll have to be able to do, if I want to get some last minute work in because while not the most unhealthy, I am thin and lanky and not a swole person.
If the Air Force had one ideal body type that they want everybody to be, it's "svelte marathon runner". I'm not sure which branch you're going for, but you'll be fine. It might suck at first especially if you don't have any real conditioning, but it'll end up to your advantage.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I would, because any bit will help. Also for upper body and core, https://www.hunderdpushups.com and https://www.twohundredsitups.com are very good programs, and there are Android/iOS apps for both that track your daily progress and can be used to time your sessions. I use both of those for PT test preparation. Include some running, but take it a little bit at a time and don't get frustrated. Some conditioning is better than none.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just curious, what stopped you 5 years ago?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I'd try and go too. Sometimes that's the only way to get things done in the military.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 1, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Or at the very least commute from Jersey, like a lot of people do.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

All of those videos are either bullshit or represent 0.00001% of the AF population

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I had to give somebody a student ID number over the phone today and I nearly started talking like it was a PMSV :ughh:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

I want to be challenged, as my current rent-a-cop job has me deadlocked at a post where the most challenging part of my job is whatever android puzzle app I happen to be working on at the time.
Have you heard of a game called "Candy Crush"?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Your military service, in the end, is what you make of it. I know that's a hack way of saying but it's true.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My recruiter was pretty cool the whole process and when I went back for Recruiter's Assistance, she told me I wasn't needed and to enjoy my free leave. With that said, your mileage may vary.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Avoid overly salty food if you can help it too, because that'll raise it as well. I had to jump through a couple of hoops because of blood pressure.

Mine was a little over the limit at MEPS, so I had to get a waiver. That consisted of me going to my family doctor for 5 days in a row and having blood pressure checked. I tweaked my diet and got all that done, and was able to receive that waiver. Now this was 2009 so I have no idea how strict they would be today, but as long as it's not terrible it's not a dealbreaker.

In fact I remember sitting in one of the rooms waiting to be re-checked my first visit. My BP was high, so the MEPS person let me sit quietly for a few minutes with the lights out, so I could compose myself and get my BP down.

In walks in a different MEPS employee, who proceeds to flick the lights on and goes "AAAH!", like trying to startle me, and it worked. The fucker said he was just joking around, and then procees right away to take my 2nd BP reading. It was higher than the first.

I still got in, and I hope that asswipe got hit by a bus.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

You broke Vasudus, good job

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

As long as you're not a complete :btroll: you'll be alright. They already know people aren't going to be in shape, and it's structured as such.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I saw a psychologist for a several months prior to enlisting in '09 that was even reported to my insurance at the time. I didn't say a word about it and got through just fine. Granted I just have a secret clearance because that's all my job required, so I'm not too sure how that works with TS

I think it mostly becomes a problem if you've been prescribed meds, which I wasn't.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

You CAN however take CLEP/DSST exams for free, which I highly recommend.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Drone pilots in the AF are noble only.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 2, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

JOIN THE MILITARY

ITS GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Short answer: Don't do it.

Long answer: Look at the Air Force Reserve if you're going to do it. But in your situation, I probably wouldn't do it either way.

• Locked thread