Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Master Bateman posted:

I hated being in garrison. I don't know what the gently caress I'd do in peacetime.

1. Drink
2. Kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Master Bateman posted:

I can only imagine the horrors of still being in the infantry.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i joined the infantry because i was young, dumb, and wanted to kill some muds.
also yes germany owned, i did the wrong thing and loving pcs'd after my first assignment there.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Seriously kid, don't join the military. You're the same age as my nephew and I managed to talk him out of following in my footsteps. Go to college, listen what we're saying. We've been there, it sucked poo poo. Don't make the same mistake we've all made. If things don't go right and you can't get into college, maybe MAYBE think about joining... Like when you're in your twenties.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, don't join combat arms. I was infantry. I have crippling PTSD from seeing about 16 of my friends get killed in various ways while in Iraq, sometimes uncontrollable raging anger that I barely have a hold of. Somehow I've managed to not drink myself to death or suckstart a shotgun despite all this. Lots of other infantry guys can't go one day without being blackout drunk to dull the pain and anger. I worked minimum wage poo poo jobs once I got out for 2 years until the VA decided to give me my disability rating. I lucked out and got 90%. The vast majority of dudes won't even see half that. That is literally my only saving grace. Even though I can live the rest of my life not doing poo poo because I have Uncle Sam's Disney funbucks, I still have to deal with the pain, the depression, anger, sadness, and destroyed bowels from being exposed to who knows what for the rest of my life as well. Don't loving join.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Don't get me wrong, I don't regret joining the infantry. I don't regret making the friends I did and the job I did. It just comes with a lot of baggage, and of course the not so glamorous parts of being a soldier. Also peacetime army is going to be retarded as gently caress.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The air force needs more people to rape :shrug:
My guess is there's always going to be people getting out and positions that need to be filled. Just not like the surge where they needed nothing but meatbags to fill the grinder with.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Same. We did it at Yakima from about 9 in the morning to 10 at night. The 240s and .50s had glowing barrels. Had to swap out barrels all day long.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Same poo poo happened in my wlc, had a bunch of Oregon national guard band nerds pretend to be soldiers while me and five other guys had to reach them basic infantry poo poo the whole time.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
brb putting field sanitation course on my resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I forgot the name of our rock. It was a huge heavy fucker, and when you were dumb you had to paint it intricately with American flags and poo poo and then carry it with you everywhere you went.

• Locked thread