Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceslice
May 20, 2005

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Here are basic qualifications for the Army. I will do my best to attempt to address what can be waived and whatnot, but there are sometimes crazy loopholes that old time recruiters are better at knowing how to exploit than myself. These will maybe serve as a guideline for other branches, but I'm sure it will vary on some by quite a bit.

So anyhow, if you talk to a recruiter he is going to run through a basic series of prequalification questions APPLEMDT.

Age- Must be between 17-35 and turn 35 no later than your shipdate. This is adjusted for prior service applicants assuming they served more than 180 days.
Prior Service- This covers a lot of stuff:
oASVAB: If you took the ASVAB for another branch or in Highschool these scores are good for 2 years and we can pull them for you
oJROTC: Completing 2 years of this will get your promoted, providing you have high school transcripts documenting this
oHave you applied at another branch? Need to know so we can get documents from them and also avoid poaching issues. Also nice to know why you werent qualified or backed out
oIf you were Prior Service in the Army and looking to get back in, only a limited number of jobs are available. One option is to come back in 18x or if you don't have one the MOS's that we are looking for, go gently caress yourself (sorry). Either way we will need a DD214 and no we can get them for you.
Physical Qualifications This is broad
oTattoos/piercings: back to old school standards. Hands and necks are loving out. If visible on a longsleeve collared shirt, probably hosed. Most piercings are no problem, since you can just take them out, but anything gauged past a 1/4in is going to need to be fixed
oMedical poo poo: Broken bones and poo poo are usually fine, assuming they're healed and no issues arise from it. Pins, rods, and other hardware are situational, and be prepared for a doctors visit. If it prevents your from running jumping or marching though, I wouldn't hold your breath.
Medication can be a big deal. No history of Asthma after the age of 12. ADD and ADHD are a big deal.
I could spend days talking about medical poo poo, so use this guideline: IF it is something that could seriously end up with you dying (ASTHMA) then dont bother and don't conceal it. If its a super over diagnosed and kinda bullshit thing you got when you were 12 (ADHD) then maybe dont make a big deal of it. However, if you talk to a recruiter about it, he'll do what needs to be done, generally. MEPS will threaten you but its ALL BULLSHIT. At the end of the day the recruiters and MEPS and the Army will not know anything you dont tell them.
LAW
FELONIES = NO (unless you got charged with a felony when you were like 12 years old it cant be waived)
DRUG CHARGES = NO
DUIs= Expect a waiver, more than 2 = gently caress no. History of alcoholism is a disqualifier for a lot of MOSs
Traffic tickets= Anything less than a $300 charge is no big deal as long as its paid.
DO NOT HIDE ANY LAW VIOLATIONS EVEN IF THEY WERE "EXPUNGED, DISMISSED, SEALED" OR WHATEVER, these can/will be found and gently caress your rear end hard if not disclosed.
Education If you have a GED, you are only eligible for RESERVES and must be able to score a 50 on the ASVAB. IF you have a GED and 15 Credit Hours at an accredited Post Secondary school, then you can do whatever as if you had a HS Diploma. College credit can get you promoted. Off the top of my head 24 = E2, 36=E3, Bachelors Degree=E4
Marriage Y/N no big deal
Dependents Anything more than 1 Spouse and 2 rugrats is a waiver. Sole custodian of kids is a no-go.
Testing Take a practice ASVAB. If you got less than a 30 then you will probably be leaving the office shortly.

Long post but people walk in my office all day out of tolerance with the erryday thinking we're the French Foreign Legion or something, so there you go.

Edit: No one gives a poo poo if you want OCS, no one is ever good enough and its
not worth the effort. Same for WOFT. Like, you had better be the Second Coming of Eisenhower or something.

That's a pretty pro post. Can you add some guidelines about financial status? I know I've seen quite a few posts, and been asked a few times about types/amounts of debts, and civil action related to those debts, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Seriously, let me fix this statement for you:

Friar Zucchini posted:

If you're looking to get anything done quickly, the military ain't it.

Ridiculous expectations like yours are why the contributors to this thread are so frank with their advice.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

droey posted:

Combat medic seems to be something I would like to do. I've considered training as an EMT but I figure the Army would teach me a lot of useful skills that would look great on a resume for pharmacy/medical (or PA, nursing, etc) school down the road. I want to take a break from this academic cycle. I want to push myself to be a stronger person and learn valuable survival techniques. I know that I'll have to learn a lot as a medic, but the fact that it will be something I could implement in my job immediately just engrosses me. I'm reading a U.S. Army survival manual and a lot of parts about treating trauma are very interesting to me. I'm a good shot with a rifle,understand their cleaning/assembly, and can put rounds in a 4 inch circle from pretty far away. I don't want to kill anyone if I had to be deployed. However, the safety of my buddies and I would supersede any reservations I had.

First: If you want to be a PA or Doc, go to school to be a PA or a Doc. Don't do something because it looks good on a resume for the future. Don't join ANY BRANCH so you can do something later on. Do it because that is what you want to do, or go to school for that other thing.

My experience with regular Army medics is very limited, but they do VERY basic things. The worst I've seen involved checking in people for sick call. They take vital signs, fill out paperwork, and stand around until 5 so you can go home. A lot of guys do get better training, but it all depends on who they work for. I know of one who has been assigned all over the world (to task forces) to work in trauma centers as part of forward support teams and surgical teams. My impression is, as a regular medic, this is rare. Your training is EMT level, you are always under the oversight of a Doc, PA or Nurse Practitioner. You are pretty much limited to apply tourniquet, put in IV, and run away.

There are other higher level medics out there, and if you have a genuine interest in trauma, they do really cool stuff. Your special operations medics (SF, SEAL, Ranger, 160th Flight Medics) go to an amazing school and have better opportunities to practice at a higher level. Some independently. Its still pretty much stabilize and hand off to a Doctor, but over a longer time scale and worse injuries.

The important part is that these medics exist so teams can do high risk activities, which you participate in. If you're not up to be a shooter (PJ/Ranger/SEAL/Marine Recon or SF dude) FIRST, this is not for you.

edit: There are medical programs out there that will take you with a degree and send you to med school, and you'll come out as a doctor with a job. I don't know any details about them.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 15, 2012

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

Just outta curiosity, I know GiP tries to dissuade those with degrees from enlisting. But what about the guy who has a degree in Dutch Literature, with a 2.5 GPA from U of Phoenix? This guy isn't going to get a commission.

People are going to do what they want, regardless of the voices screaming at them on the internet. There is really nothing wrong with enlisting with a degree if you know what you're getting into, and want to do it anyway, but people who post in this thread have no clue. Most of us are simply trying to inform people that they have the opportunity to do better, even if they won't.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

CRF posted:

I recently left the Marines as a 1stLt and am about to leave for the Peace Corps in a few months. I'd like to rejoin the military after my Peace Corps time, either Special Forces or SEALs (officer). Would there be any restrictions/difficulties serving in the Peace Corps would incur? I know there is a restriction from joining the CIA for 10 years and there would be some difficulties obtaining a TS clearance. The Army and Navy recruiting websites weren't much help so any insight will be appreciated. I'm also out of the country doing some volunteer work so contacting a recruiter would be difficult. Thanks.

You won't be able to initially join Army SF as an officer because of the rank requirements to apply. I don't know what seal officer requirements are, but I'm sure they are published just like the sf ones.

Google SORB for more info army side.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Ohms posted:

I don't have a house full of poo poo but I do own things. Like you mentioned, TV, Xbox, clothes, and my computer, motorcycle, etc.

I'm assuming you're not married right?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Seriously find a way to finish your degree. There are many better ways to see if you have "it," and to push your self, but finishing a degree after you're done loving around is very hard. You'll hear it over and over again from this forum: Do not enlist with a degree, but that sure as gently caress means don't quit school and enlist. When you've got the diploma, take a hard look at your life and start researching military job options (officer, or enlisted side) and see if its something you want to do.

You should also start looking at jobs that will give you marketable skills while you're serving, and when you get out. The military as a whole is downsizing, and people getting out are going to be looking to pick up DOD contracts. Guys who work on military technical systems, have clearances, have connections, and have degrees are the ones who pick those kinds of jobs up before anyone else.

I was in your shoes before, but a bit older. I wish I had finished my degree before I signed my time away. There are a lot of awesome things to do in the military, and if you're still excited about it when you're done go for it.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Pyrok posted:

Well, the only thing about that. If I finish my degree, if I stay a civilian my salary will be insane. Even starting out, I'd be looking at 70k+ a year. I'm not set on anything yet, but I'm afraid that if I wait to finish my degree, I'd just stay a civilian.

There's nothing wrong with that, just make the decision at that time. You'll either be really excited about joining and have done tons of research on it, or you'll know for sure you don't want to.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
That is one squared away soldier, I mean look how high is high and tight is?

iceslice
May 20, 2005

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

You can't be told how it sucks, you have to experience it. That's why we all still joined after being told how much it sucks. That and recruiter lies.

This should be the first line of the OP. That way when people get mad at us for poo poo talking them and telling them not to join, there's at least a little bit of a warning.

edit: I don't know how to show my appreciation, but its posts like the previous one that really make my day. Somehow having a place on the internet to just be retarded and trash talk people is awesome. The mods have to know its illogical, and a waste of bandwidth, but it really does make life a little bit better.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 21, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

The last time Vilepilot went on a spree Vas wasn't around after about half an hour so I shot Ozma a PM to help out since she was already actively patrolling a Bradley Manning thread. Vas showed up shortly after and cleaned up the place. For the rest of the day I had something nagging in my mind about that. I felt bad that I went to Ozma to get rid of the mentally ill threads. Then when I sent an apology to Vas for doing so, it loving dawned on me. I jumped the chain of command. I had something buried down that made me feel like I was bad or wrong in doing that and almost expected reprisal. That's what the military does to you.

I was on leave for a few days with my family, and before I went out drinking for the night I told them where I was going, the others I was taking with me, the time I was expecting to be back, what to do if I didn't get back in time. I felt like such a scum bag for not having an "A." I think its even more hilarious when I hear my teammates who have kids talking about how they "make their kids give them a GOTWA" before they send them out to play with their friends. Its really common sense poo poo, but I personally think its one of the better examples to come out of a military lifestyle.

I do however find my self appologizing to people, usually in service jobs like hotels, because I have to reach into my pocket to get my passport/credit card, or don't have a pen in my hand ready to sign whatever they hand me. That's some crazy military stuff right there.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Hekk posted:

Not paying attention to details is the exact reason why so many people cry about getting hosed by the military during their enlistment. How many times did you go through the enlistment process? Twice right? I processed 243 people for enlistment in a three year period. Your one time switching DEPs obviously makes you more knowledgeable than those who did this poo poo as recruiters for years right?

The point still remains that in DEP you are in the IRR. You could, in theory, be court marshaled. It hasn't happened since Vietnam but that doesn't mean it's never happened before. Also, records of your enlistment remain indefinitely and, unless it's changed in the last 5 years, require a waiver to join another branch of service.

Just because you are too loving stupid to actually pay attention to poo poo that will affect you for the next eight years of your life, doesn't mean that every other poor schmuck who comes in here with questions about the military should be subjected to the same level of ignorance.

While your information might be technically accurate, you're not being informative. You're absolutely right that people should know the technical difference in nomenclature between the time length of a contract and their commitment time. It is their personal fault for signing up for something they don't understand, and somehow it still happens all of the time.

That is not the point of this forum or thread. The point is not to sharp shoot people on their word choice, but to give simple, succinct answers to questions that are typically asking an opinion. Being a pompous, unforgiving rear end in a top hat does hold true to the opinion that most of us have of Recruiters. I hope anyone reading this thread who is looking to join can see the difference between Hekk and everyone else that posts here.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
4 years in with nearly 26 use-or-lose means I have plenty of free time to edit this post into awesomeness. I'm imagining my self in Los Angeles on The Price is Right playing the game "YES OR NO!"

Cloudy McPouty posted:

While the x-ray program had it's place. It is time it ended.
Nope

Cloudy McPouty posted:

There are currently 12,000 Green Berets...12,000. That is nearly the size of the 82nd Airborne Division. So now you have a division worth of Green Berets that are all trying to fit in to 3 Battalions each (4th is slowly being consolidated at each Group).
Wherever you pulled this statistic, I promise there are guys deploying with only a half-full team, or pulling guys from 19th/20th Group to fill out the teams. Lets go with NOPE!

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Do NOT sign an 18x contract in the current Army. You will experience an attrition rate of something close to 80-90% for 18x candidates while in the SFQC because they don't need them.

Yup.

Cloudy McPouty posted:

You will waste time in the SFQC(if you even make it through SFAS). If you are at all serious about bettering yourself by enlisting, then go to RASP.
Nope.

Cloudy McPouty posted:

You can always go to SFAS once you have an adequate amount of Team Leader/Squad Leader time. The 18 series are not going anywhere, but it is not a good time to be entering as an 18x.
Nope

Cloudy McPouty posted:

You are looking at a virtual guaranteed ticket to the 82nd ABN DIV.
Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Your edit of my post is nonsensical.

You agree that attrition rates for 18x are approaching 80-90% in the SFQC yet say in a following statement that now is a good time to enlist under an 18x contract, even though you say that it is a guaranteed ticket to the 82nd ABN DIV.

The number of green berets I mentioned is not some big secret. USASOC far over-reached in providing numbers to the groups during 2006-2009. As a result, you have 12,000 of them now trying to fit in to 3 BNs per group. Do not mistake a shortage of a specific MOS(probably 18D or 18F), for a shortage of Special Forces qualified NCOs and Officers army wide. Plenty of teams deploy "half-full", its called split ops.

Most puzzling to me though, is that you disagree with the suggestion that someone go to SFAS once they have an adequate amount of Team Leader and Squad Leader time. As a junior, you are expected to be able to lead a company size element of indigenous personnel. I am pretty loving sure that TL/SL time will come in handy then, especially when none of your dudes speak English anymore.

Do you have any idea you are talking about?

The edit was supposed to be nonsensical. This is the internet and I was mostly loving around. I'll rephrase it into something that makes more sense:

No one has asked this in a long time, but if someone really wants to go 18x, get up and try. Self selection is the greatest attrition. That being said the vast majority of people (RA or x-ray, it doesn't matter) are not going to make it. More importantly all Groups need good people. It doesn't matter that Afghanistan ending or there are any projected numbers of "percentage of strength," guys get out for all kinds of reasons. Some of them have been at war for the last decade and their family lives are ruined. Some of them are physically broken but have been sticking it out. Some of them are just going to be totally bored because their lives are no longer smashing down doors and blowing things up. With the end of an event comes a shift in focus. With that shift in focus comes an increase in attrition.

I had a bunch of poo poo typed out but I'm going to keep it simple: On a good team the guy who is the best at the task is the one who is in charge. It doesn't matter where you come from, if your team has confidence in your capability you're the one who does it. Experience in the RA is a critical foundation, but being able to think and learn fast is more important. You never know what will end up on your plate, and you have to be prepared to learn and do whatever it takes to make a successful mission. Its actually my favorite part of the job.

edit: Just to be clear you're 99% right on with your posts. My disagreement was in discouraging people to try, not in any facts you stated about SF in general.

Back to the regular programming:

sforzacio posted:

You know that Katy Perry video where her boyfriend cheats on her so she gets even by joining the Marines and is like, "This is the part of me that you can never, ever, ever, take away from me~"

There are many, many parts of you that the military can and will always, always take away from you.

I am a special snowflake, the Army can never take that away from me. I AM A CHAMPION AND YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR ME ROARRRRRRR~

iceslice fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 23, 2013

• Locked thread