Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Bright Eyes posted:

When I took my ASVAB the Army recruiter was talking to his recruits about how he doesn't respect any officer who wasn't enlisted first. My recruiter acknowledged. Also said he's a recruiter, because they were gonna kick him out otherwise. Felt bad for the kids he was lying to.

Jesus this is the number one dumb thing recruiters and not officers say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

vacation in merica posted:

I kinda hinted at it in the one I posted, but I think maybe HCT would know exactly how likely it is for someone admitting drug use to enter the military. I thought the answer was basically hell no these days (same with the mental health stuff) but maybe I'm off.
On second thought I don't wanna share this. Ignore this post.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Please tell me you've had to waiver someone with two wives, that sounds hilarious. Or am I misreading that somehow?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Pilot requires a security clearance and you will never, ever, ever, get a clearance having been diagnosed with depression. The second ever comes from being medicated for it. I'm sorry. :(

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Do not lie. They will find out.

You have a good degree and sound pretty smart. You can easily find a better, more fulfilling job.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

droey posted:

Thing is, I'm not really depressed anymore. Otherwise I would be continuing the medication. Is there no waiver or way to show them that I'm mentally capable and not a risk?

You can ask a recruiter. Worst case scenario is he says no. I very strongly doubt, VERY STRONGLY, doubt you can ever get a clearance. You need the highest clearance possible to fly.

Even if you aren't depressed now, even if you never were depressed and it was just a lovely doctor it doesn't matter. You were diagnosed and medicated for depression.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
It's possible he can get a clearance, buy I very strongly doubt it. Can't hurt to try though. Just don't lie!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Oxford Comma posted:

Just outta curiosity, if your therapist has put you on antidepressants as a teenager, how does the military find out? Do they pull your records, or is it just something they ask people when they do their background check?

Vasudus hit it on the head. It's possible to hide but if they find out you will never have a chance since you lied.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I would be surprised if they send you home for underweight. Over is a different story. Just start packing your body with as much crap as you can. Peanut butter is pretty good for that. Just spoon peanut butter on bread into your mouth.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Ziji posted:

Our scale at home is pretty out of wack, but my best estimate would be no more than 5lbs underweight, and 5lbs underweight is worst case scenario. I'd say at this point I'm about 2 or 3 lbs underweight, but I'm still eating a lot.

Oh, yeah you'll probably be fine. I had the exact opposite problem when I shipped, I was literally four pounds over (Still, they were loving generous with what was over and I was fat as gently caress) and they weren't going to ship me until some old black dude who worked there said basic would take care of it for me. Thanks mysterious black dude!

Funny story, there was a NG split ops guy there, you know the people who do basic one summer and AIT the next. He was getting ready to ship to AIT, was super smug about having done basic, and was FOURTY POUNDS OVERWEIGHT!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

FreeFunnelCake posted:

If I continue on my current path and graduate in 2015 with a BS in accounting and a GPA around 3.45-3.6, what do you think my prospects are for getting into an OCS program in the Army or Navy? I don't have any medical or discipline issues and I think I would score pretty well on any physical tests. Thanks

Who knows what the military's needs will be like in 2015. If we continue to downsize it might be way tougher. If we invade someone maybe way easier.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Internet Wizard posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but if I have a housemate that smokes pot and does a crappy job of ventilating his room, I don't have to worry about that showing up when I go through MEPS, do I?

No. Unless you literally live in a perfectly airtight closet.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
We're felony drug waivers ever really that common? Even during the surge days?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
We need a stickied thread titled "If you got caught with drugs or took anti-depressants you can't join the military. ;-("

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

BUSH 2112 posted:

Is that necessarily always true? I put in my application to join the Navy, and from what I'd read online, people seemed to say that as long as it's been at least a year since you'd been prescribed them, and you don't seem like a crazy person to the MEPS psychiatrist, that it wasn't very difficult to get a waiver.

It's been like 7 years since I was on them, and it was for anxiety, with no other mental health disorders.

I can pretty much tell you it's a death sentence nowadays. The military is cutting down and that means finding everything they can to ensure they just get 100% golden children. Also with the suicide rate still rising they REALLY don't want to let anyone in who has any history of mental health issues.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Ohms posted:

I think my desire to get Airborne and a possible Option 40 in my contract is less than my desire to leave soon.

Here's a question for those of you who hated being in the military. Before you enlisted did you have an idea that you wouldn't enjoy it or were you feeling as if you were prepared and looking forward to it? Was it unenjoyable because you ended up doing something different than what you had in mind?

I didn't hate my time in the army, if I could go back I'd do it again. But especially as someone a little older you'll see the job definitely has some major flaws. A lot of dumb things are done just because, your superiors aren't necessarily smarter or even more experienced than you, the lifestyle can be lovely, and there's a good chance you will be vastly over-worked while your peers skate by never doing poo poo.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
There are exceptions to every rule but GENERALLY the Airforce is the least "military" and the Marine Corps the most. It's usually seen as Marines, Army, Navy, Airforce. I'm sure there are some lame rear end Marine units and some high-speed airforce ones but most of the time this is a fair view. The Navy seems to vary a bit in this, there can be a lot of rear end-busting hard work in it compared to other branches.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Maybe it's just the people I talk to but the navy seems to have a lot of labor intensive jobs that require lovely working hours and don't really have a benefit. If you're joining the military purely for benefits and don't give a gently caress about the job itself, you may as well get the easiest one you can, since whether you're shamming or busting your rear end you get paid the same.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I got five at two years in the Army because I'm a battle proven super-trooper. :smug:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Ixian posted:

Man, 23 years and counting since I picked up my DD214 and re-joined the sloppy civilian world and there are still people who think joining the Army is a good idea because they can't think of any other options. I even made the nice flowchart in the OP for you all, come on :)

Guys I knew who enlisted because of that (a lot of them) were universally miserable fucks - all of them - just as true then as I am sure it is now. If you want to be a soldier, be a soldier. Don't be a soldier because you think it'll help you not be something else, like a debt-ridden civilian.

Don't get me wrong, over two decades later I still think my 4 year enlistment was the smartest thing I ever did. Changed my whole life. The benefits I received and continue to receive are great, but they are just that: Benefits. Not Reasons, if you get my drift.

I don't know, in today's world the GI Bill is probably worth it to most people. Let's look at your options if you aren't rich. Go to college, take out massive loans that will NEVER go away, be forced to work lovely meaningless jobs where you aren't respected, are treated like dirt, don't have health insurance, probably pay out the rear end just to get to work, and your boss would pay you less but the law wont let him.

Or join the military, work a lovely meaningless job for three or so years, that pays better than you'd get otherwise, has health insurance, and may give you valuable experience/a clearance for bigger and better jobs when you get out. Then get out, get unemployment, go to FREE college, get a check every month for more than minimum wage, and have no student loan debt.

The military isn't perfect, even with the ending of Iraq and soon Afghanistan there is a very real chance of serious trauma and possibly death, but poo poo, the benefits are loving amazing. I'd take three years of decently paying misery over 4 years of living off ramen for like a 25% at best shot at a decent job, with a life time of debt.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
drat, 4B for weight control?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
You should marry for love. :)

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Basically his numbers are set go away.

It's bizarro 2007.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
YOU AREN'T GETTING INTO THE MILITARY WITH ADHD!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Dirty_Moses posted:

It has already been stated in the thread that if I stop taking the medicine for twelve months then I can, though.

With a waiver. That you won't get. This is 2013 not 2007. The military doesn't need bodies it needs recruits that it can guarantee will pass all of the screening, exams, and tests prior to entry to maximize the chance to complete training. It can not afford to waste money on recruits who have even the slightest chance of being a problem.

The military has a terrible suicide problem. One of the biggest reasons for this is mental illness. The military allowed mebtally ill soldiers to join and now it has to deal with it. This costs a ton of money and hurts readiness. The military considers ADHD a mental illness. Sorry.

TLDR you aren't getting in even if you're off meds for a year. How about you stop breathing forever.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Because now I get paid $2,000 a month to go to a $45,000 dollar a year school for free.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

A few more questions about the ASVAB. Nothing like the clerk selling my a ASVAB practice book telling me how well she did on the test in high school just to get a half day... me with my BA... well I guess I can expect a lot of that business.

Anyways - Can I take schedule the test and be 100% sure I won't be drug tested at the same time? And will I be taking the computerized version or the pencil and paper?

You will take the computerized version.

Yes you will take the ASVAB before MEPS where you are drug test. But you should probably accept the fact that your drug days are over.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

I don't give a poo poo about smoking pot ever again, I just happened to be smoking joints with my sister in law recently and no way in hell I'm gonna risk THC popping up on a government exam, so I'm giving it a nice long 3 months before I test. That should be enough time to really be serious about signing too.

You should be cool then. If your recruiter tries to schedule you for a MEPS in the time frame you would fail a test just tell him. Mine worked with me and made up a reason I had to delay. Enjoy what freedom you have left, just don't gently caress up your military stint for a few hours of being high.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
SERE is Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape. I may have mixed up the E's but that's what it is. I'm pretty sure you do it as SF but compared to selection and the SFs Q course I imagine it's pretty trivial. Our very own iceslice is SF you PM him he will probably have helpful advice. I've always heard rucking fucks with people bad so, learn to ruck! Put weight on your back and build up to rucking long distances.

Also you will probably fail but maybe not!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I always want to laugh at people but I enlisted into 13 series. I was 17 though.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Are you trolling? Dude, 95% of your job is going to be lovely bitch work. I hope all the best for you, honestly, but as a lower enlisted artilleryman life won't be as cool as you may think. Intelligence won't get you promoted in the 13 series.

Edit: Didn't see the last line. I'm glad you appreciate the spot your in but...dude 13 series?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Nimmy posted:

When I say it's about lifestyle I don't mean that it will be awesome to do bitch work. And hell, I have a whole life to do some office poo poo; hell I've been doing office poo poo my whole life. I wanted to do something different and this is different. Maybe that sounds dumb to you and everyone else in the thread.

I wish you all the best, honestly, but you should have picked another job IMO.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Nimmy posted:

Maybe so. I don't mean to come across so defensive either. I'm cool with it for now and I don't imagine I'll be in this MOS for 20 years. And hell man, howitzers need smart people too.

Please back out. Go 35/25/other branch equivalent. Take something with you after your contract. You get paid the same whether your pulling weeds or sitting in an office.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I went 13M because I wanted to kill people but was too much of an awkward dork to go 11B. I would up getting shot at, blown up, and shooting people anyway. Sure I have the GI bill but no relevant experience from my service.
Almost everyday I wish I did a job that would give me a boost.

Something that mattered, a learned skill instead of "IM A VET HURR!"
You can get PAID experience from the army. Please, do something better.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

So just curious, how does the process of the drug waiver work?

Depends on how recent and how much. Could be difficult nowadays.

STOP DOING DRUGS IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

I have. Assuming 2 years back in college. Open ended.. more than 5 times? Only MJ. I just want to know what it actually entails.

I'd probably lie, because the chances of them finding out are low. If you aren't hot you're probably good. But if you are going for a clearance you never know.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

The next eighteen replies will be variations of JESUS CHRIST DON'T loving ENLIST WITH A DEGREE.

One

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
What does the peace corps even really do?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

Nothing gives me confidence in the army like taking their practice asvab and noticing all of the answers for one of the math problems are incorrect.

Steve and Tim took a taxi to the airport. The taxi fare was $25, and they tipped the driver 25% of the fare. If they split the cost of the fare and the tip equally, how much do they each owe?

A $17.50 B $18.50 C $18.25 D $18.75

I dont even

It's A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

25 x .25 = 6.25

25 + 6.25 = 31.25

31.25 / 2 = 15.62

or

25 / 2 = 12.50, 12.50 x .25 = 3.125 3.125 + 12.50 = 15.62

Please prove me wrong I really want to be wrong.

I'm being funny.

• Locked thread