Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The Valley Stared posted:

I do 60+ push-ups per work out (more often sets of 25 or 30) and

about 180 sit-ups per session as well.

You will be absolutely fine. I figured you were at least 20-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I should be fine when I go to Rhode Island since that's at sea level and I live almost at 7000 ft.

It's still a big adjustment though. Even with that though, just keep doing what you're doing, and don't get hurt.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

While I kinda like 68W so far, I'm a complete loving idiot for not trying to get CTN after being DQ'd from literally every 35 series in the Army for being red-green colorblind.

68W is a good MOS. You're fine dude.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Word of warning: All of the stories you have heard from people about how Fort Sam is one giant Roman Bacchanalia are no longer true, as far as 68Ws are concerned. 232 is now a God awful hellhole where the Good Idea Fairy has taken roost. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Thank Based God I'm out this bitch on Friday.

Holy poo poo that sucks. I was there 10 years ago today, and it was one of the best times I've had.

Is the Hacienda still around?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

You can back out bro.

Yeah. Just tell your recruiter you're backing out. They might bitch and moan, or threaten poo poo, but tell them to gently caress off.

Graduating with a degree then enlisting would be pretty silly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

divx posted:

I wanted to join the Army 68W but only 68L is available. Is it a huge mistake to take the 68L spot or should I wait for a 68W spot to open up? From the googling I've done it seems like a decent job but I wanted to ask here too.

No medic slots? Seriously?

68L is a decent job- you'd be rear eschalon as gently caress though, which may be good or bad depending on what you want.

If you really want to push it, you'd be able to find a medic slot. They always need medics. If you have any questions about 68w feel free to pm me (my info may be a bit outdated though, been out since 2008)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Or PM me if you want to hear how lovely Ft Sam and AIT are now. But yeah, there were 142 68W slots open when I signed.

What happened to Fort Sam? I heard they took away overnights, and every instructor is a broken shell of a GWOT vet, but did they do more than that?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Overnights are a figment of the imagination, ASUs off-post (and only once you phase up), no drinking, no smoking, at least half the instructors I'm sure have stopped counting TBIs once they went past what they could count on their fingers, etc. It's hilariously petty, asinine, stupid bullshit all around.

No drinking/smoking was always around, but unless you were stupid to bring it on post you were fine. We had civilian clothes after the first PT test for overnights. We also had a 4 day weekend for 4th of July, no recall formation. I have no idea how the gently caress that worked out, but no one in a class of 300+ IET students hosed it up. I didn't know how incredible it was until after I had been in for a few years.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Seriously. The first month consisted of the drill sergeants trying to make it seem like basic, and once we had our first PT test we got cell phones and discmans back. (holy poo poo, no one had ipods yet. I'm loving old.), along with single overnights on Saturday night, and basically no fucks given to where you were between 5pm and 9pm.

I just realized that this was 10 years ago. gently caress me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

literally lol at any company that didn't have a mop for a guidon.

Is the new lovely Fort Sam just for 232? Or is 187 the same way as well?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Man, that's really depressing to hear. I had a rad time when I was there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

somnolence posted:

Hey, I don't want to have to go 50k in debt to get my undergrad. I won't get any financial aid until I'm 24 (almost 21 now) and I don't foresee getting married any time soon. I've tried working and going to school and I find that to detract from my main focus, which is school. I can still pull decent grades but my classes are not going to be getting any easier and I don't know how taking a full load will work while putting in time at a minimum wage job.

Would joining the air for as an aerospace medical (4n0x1) be worth my while for the educational benefits? I am hoping to attend medical school after my undergrad. That would likely put me at close to 30 with my degree and applying to med schools. I pull good grades right now but my only option at this point is to take out loans if I want to go to school full time, which is not an attractive option.

The air force is an attractive option because I will receive clinical experience and of course the GI bill. On the other hand I might get killed or disabled and never complete my degree.

I guess my question is this: if you went to college after getting out, was your time in whichever branch worth it? This might be a better question for the educational benefits thread, but I thought I would give it a shot here. Sorry for any typos this is being typed on my phone.

If you go in with a plan of action, and can get your poo poo paid for, then it's completely worth it. It's worth it when my coworkers tell me that they have 90k is student loan debt for their 4 year degree, and I've never taken out a loan in my life for mine.

Just make sure that you know what you want out of the military, and do everything in your power to get what you want out of it. They're going to get theirs no matter what.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Go into things expecting that your enlistment is going to be a social and developmental black hole. You might be able to accomplish things, sure, but don't plan on it. Think of it as going to prison, but with benefits when you get out.

Also count on most private-sector employers not giving an actual gently caress that you served. They'll thank you for your service in any interview, of course, but it has no bearing on if you get the job or not in my experience.
Basically, do what you have to do to get school paid for, and do everything in your power to make that happen. Don't gently caress up and get kicked out, pass your PT tests, all that poo poo. Also make sure you have a back-up plan in case you get injured or something during training- this can and does happen frequently.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

jstoney12 posted:

I do not want to deploy or have the "two weeks a year" have any effect my grad school.
Fat

loving

Chance.

If you join the Guard, each weekend/AT will occur at the worst time possible. Especially if you're in Grad School.

jstoney12 posted:

I do not want to deploy

Don't re-up unless you're willing to deploy.

In short

holocaust bloopers posted:

Don't join the Guard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

SumYungGui posted:

Keep in mind the military can suck the fun out of shooting really big guns and blowing poo poo up. The mountains of retarded poo poo that get piled on top of them will turn those exact activities into a gigantic pain in the dick that you get sick of even thinking about and hate with a fiery burning passion. Everyone here can rattle off at least two or three stories of, "Yeah we have to go out and do XYZ and god dammit I don't want to waste the time."

Now imagine how much worse it is in a full body condom during 100 degree weather, sucking wind through a charcoal filter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373573&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post386760398

I spent a while searching for this, it's from one of the civilian threads from a long time ago, but it holds true even to this day

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

One day I'll go back and get everything you guys have suggested to remind myself of this really weird point in my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Go USAF. Look for the least challenging, most tangibly rewarding path to do 4 years.

Seriously, go easy. Once you get out no one will give a gently caress about how hard you had it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Don't.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I'm sorry for single-word posting in a stickied thread like that, but seriously: No. You have options that are way better than anything you could get in the military. Don't do it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Now that I've got my BSN and some RN experience in a specialty, I'm going to be filling out the paperwork to commission into the USNR nurse corps soon. I've been in contact with my recruiter for a while, but can anyone tell me the stuff that she won't? I know I'll be deployed eventually, but I'd like to get an idea how they figure out where it will be. She just says there's a whole bunch of places that you may go to. I'd actually prefer to go AD, but I don't know if that's possible at my age (33), but can you eventually progress to AD after serving in the reserves?

I've thought about telling her to take me and my wife (also a nurse) as a package deal. I'm guessing she'd probably get a sweet bonus.

I was a medic in the Army, and worked with a lot of nurses. In my experience, working in a CSH was a lot like civilian hospitals. Nurses are in charge of patient care, as directed by docs. Medics work as techs, but with a lot more freedom and are able to do a lot more themselves.

Basically socially-wise, you'll find two main groups of people. Those who take the military poo poo to heart and those who just try to be as civilian as possible. I had some nurses who were fuckin control freaks, and micromanaged the gently caress out of everything, and some who were chill as hell and shot the poo poo with us. It's a weird setting, as they work side by side with enlisted folk.

Age limit stuff is kinda sketchy when it comes to nurses/docs as well, so I wouldn't count yourself out at 33.

Then again, I'm talking from Army. poo poo may be completely different in the Navy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I only saw nurses at CSH hospitals and up. (think MASH- 100+ beds, surgery and maybe even ICU/Xray/Dental/ICU). At the Aid Station I was at in Bah'qubah we had 5 beds, with a PA in charge of 4 NCO medics (a couple of them we the M6 variety, basically LPN) and 5 or 6 enlisted medics.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I've only ever known one person to go guard to active, also only one person go to OCS from enlisted, out of dozens of people trying their hardest to do so.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

The military would not help you reach your goal, aside from the GI Bill. You're also incredibly overqualified - Corpsman/Medics are EMT-Bs at best.

This really depends on where you end up. We had Paramedics who did a lot of crazy poo poo, and were pretty much given carte blanche by their PA to do what they wanted, because they proved what they could do. If you get stuck in a poo poo unit, then those skills would probably be left to rot as you do inventory for the 10 millionth time.

Painsaw or one of the other medics may be better off answering the "what else could I do" question than me, but the Navy path you laid out sounds like something that there would be a ton of competition for. Honestly, though, you'd be better off attempting to meet your goal of being a PA a different way.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

"I did sustain a pelvic fracture about 3-4 years ago running track and the bones have only almost fused back together."

You'd almost certainly be denied for that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

Hey veins, what's your read on getting a job with the railroads and maybe getting to drive trains or some poo poo? Like, is that a viable career path that is open and hiring? I know you work for the railroads, don't you?

Metro North had yet another accident today. working on a train these days has got to be insane.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hekk posted:

gently caress Yeah!! Do it.

Also, don't buy the 100 percent in state tuition bullshit the National Guard will try to sell you. If you look closely at the fine print, the tuition assistance is offered until the pot of money set aside is gone. Take a guess how quickly that money disappears. Then guess how many Ohio National Guardsmen actually get all their tuition paid for.

Huh? In Connecticut it's a tuition waiver for Guardsmen. Go to school, just pay for the fees. I took 16 credits one semester, paid 120 bucks for the fees, and then had to buy my books.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

when i enlisted in 2002 we had hella old folks running around with us in basic.

I.C. posted:

I'm a very short lady and lacking upper body strength, and I guess I am too old. I'm ready to go wherever, but I reckon I should've started earlier. Drag…
e: Thank you all for the fast and honest answers! Much appreciated. :)

please tell me you're going to be a medic. the best part of medic AIT for me was the drill sergeants making all the sub-5' girls carry my 6'5" rear end through the stretcher obstacle course.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

speshl guy posted:

Just perused the thread, going to see a recruiter on Friday and had a couple questions I was hoping someone could clear up for me.

Can I negotiate possible law school compensation this early? The Navy website seems to indicate that there are two options; you can request to be transferred into JAG and get a JD from a school of your choice after 2 or 3 years of service or go directly into JAG from law school. Now I've heard JAG is highly competitive and only accepts around 4 candidates a year so I'm not sure if I want to risk going to law school first since I really can't pay it out of pocket.

I graduated with a 3.2 GPA and did 4 years of college swimming where I was a standout. How much leverage, if any, would I have over a recruiter in trying to negotiate law school compensation? Would the GI bill or yellow ribbon apply to me?

Probably worth mentioning that I have a not insignificant undergrad debt.

Good. loving. Luck.

I'm not speaking from experience at all- I just had a buddy of mine graduate from Fordham about 2 years ago, and he was just able to get a job finally about 3 months ago. That's with a law school degree and 2 years of peace corp, multiple languages, and internships that were insanely good. He was running around NYC throwing his resume at everything possible.

These are the kind of people who are applying for JAG slots, with degrees and poo poo. Nowadays there are firms out there hiring just graduated lawyers who passed the bar as paralegals, because there are so many of them willing to take that pay cut just to get a foot in somewhere. Having a 3.2 and being able to not drown probably won't set you too far outside the pack.

Honestly though, you would do best asking ActusRhesus

also don't loving enlist with a degree. commision if you must.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

speshl guy posted:

That's when I started considering the Navy. Honestly if I don't make JAG it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. But are there ANY incentives I could negotiate for before commissioning? Or would I be better off making minimum wage until the Peace Corps finds another country for me in 9-12 months.

I'd say send a PM to ActusRhesus, or post in the Legal Thread here in GIP if you don't have PMs, you'd get the best answer there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Really the only big perk of the Army Band is that you travel a bunch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

Is there anyone in a military band that's a normal person and not a hosed up wierdo. I've met a few dudes from the band at Travis and they're loving creepy. Kind of like how most chaplains are weird as gently caress I guess.

they are the next evolution of the high school band geek

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Asthma is a no-go. Even back in the post-9/11 "WE'LL TAKE ANYONE ALIVE" recruitment phase they wouldn't take you.

Get a official diagnosis before you start anything.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also good loving luck finding an AGR/ART spot, because those slots are very sought after

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

135lbs? Go eat some food!

Like you may be actually underweight.

Drink a gallon of milk a day

seriously

if you're lactose intolerant then buy some baby wipes

that and peanut butter are going to bulk you up.

but yeah, the best thing you could do for yourself prior to leaving for basic is to be ready to pass the PT test when you arrive. Do that, and you'll be on a much easier path and much less to worry about.

The underweight thing is a problem because right now it's a peacetime military and you won't be getting any waivers unless you blow a congressman/general. According to military.com, the minimum weight for 6'3" is 152 lbs. . You really need to be that when you go, or else you'll be held in retention at inprocessing and be stuck listening to fat kids bitch about having to lose weight to go to basic and you'll hate life.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sir Lucius posted:

No....don't do this. You will die.

someone never had to bulk up for high school wrestling

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Volkerball posted:

lucky. i was the guy spitting into a cup sitting in a sauna.

I've been there too, along with running up and down the school hallways wearing trash bags under sweatpants and a hoodie

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mustang posted:

I was the laziest wrestler in high school, I just wrestled at whatever I happened to weigh at, which fortunately was pretty consistent each year.

we had exactly one kid for each weight class (got hella forfeit points since a shitload of teams don't field a 103 lb or a heavyweight). I was at 215 lbs, and there were a few times I had to build up for heavyweight since ours was sick or whatever, then make sure it was cut for the next week's match.

The worst was loving multi-school meets. We did a bunch of quad meets, and it was in the days before smartphones were a thing. So it was basically get there as the rear end crack of dawn, stand in line for hours (thus preparing me for the line at the armory in my future life), weigh in, then fart around for a bunch of hours until you have a match for 10 minutes, then wait around forever again. Repeat until 8pm.

ManMythLegend posted:

It should probably be ok. Twice a week lifting should be ok for a complete lifting novice to still put on some muscle and take advantage off beginner gains.

2x a week would be fine. I don't know how hard gaining 17 lbs will be for you, but you really need to be there when you go through inprocessing.

Zetta_Slow posted:

Yeah, I can only head to the gym about twice a week for lifting weights, but I end up doing about 300 Push-Ups & Sit-Ups every day, and run every other day. Would you say that's enough? Or should I be doing more?

That's great. Just make sure you're using proper form for the push-ups and sit-ups, and try to run more than the PT test length. The AF PT test is 1.5 miles, so you should be shooting to run 2 miles easily so you can score high on the 1.5

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/situp-test-help-improve-fast

Check out this article, it's got a decent training regimen for situp improvement.

Zetta_Slow posted:

I've looked into sit-ups and most places say they are bad for your back and to not do them.

Oh they're horrible. Welcome to the military.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zetta_Slow posted:

e: Sorry for asking all the fitness/weight questions, figure this is the best place to ask them though, so thanks for all the advice.

Don't be sorry. You actually asked a question in here and showed that you've done your research into doing this instead of just wandering in here asking how to get into the space marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Hey marines, on a scale of 1-10, where 1 is basic training during the height of Iraqi Freedom, and 10 being full metal jacket, just how much yelling did you receive stepping off the bus on your first day of basic?

For a movie project about Megan Leavey.

i was on my final FTX in basic when we invaded iraq. there was no yelling, just our drill sergeants shouting out to us in formation "GUESS WHERE YOUR BITCH ASSES ARE GOING?!?!?" then giggling wildly.

• Locked thread