Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Zip posted:

I don't know what technique you were using but sometimes if you're copying and pasting data after it to get that weird overlay effect I got earlier, I noticed that occasionally it seems like the image just locks and no amount of editing gets it to change effect.

I thought maybe I was the only one this was happening too. (I also thought I was losing my mind because I was removing whole chunks of data and getting no effect when viewing the image).

I used the free select, hit enter and then inverted the color. Then I copy pasted the part I free selected, moved it and tried to mess with it's transparency (I'm no good at GIMP), and it showed up just slightly darker without doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Oh ya I don't use gimp. Hm.

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I was seeing what more I could do and got this:

I went to see if I could make the edges of the image darker to focus on the center, and I placed the light behind the image and this immediately interested me.

I think the unintended is better than the intended when it comes to this.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

oh god I laughed pretty hard at this.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Ularg posted:

I was seeing what more I could do and got this:

I went to see if I could make the edges of the image darker to focus on the center, and I placed the light behind the image and this immediately interested me.

I think the unintended is better than the intended when it comes to this.
Hey you figured it out! And these are pretty decent too!

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.
Yeah, okay, Audacity is really cool for this.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

what filters did you use to get that effect?

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.

Zip posted:

what filters did you use to get that effect?

Echo, after fiddling with the settings a bit. I tried some other effects too, but that was definitely my favorite. Applying fade out a bunch of times is cool too, creating a gradual fade to static. Ooh, maybe if I did both...

wiseass
Feb 19, 2011
this is kinda fun..used the method in OP with Notepadd++

Orig on top, glithced on bottom

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Here's what 10 minutes of dinking around with just a text editor got me:

I can see how this would get addicting.

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

I opened this gif up in audacity 2.0.2 with a-law & big-endian settings (I don't know what that is) and just exported it without any manipulation. Then I had to open it in gimp and export it to a gif as an animation to get it to work.

Protip: You can get different effects in audacity if your image is saved as RBG or Indexed.

I repeated the echo effect and saved each iteration to a new tif, then combined them into an animation in gimp.

loud dildo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 14, 2012

Sinix
Jul 10, 2006

World War Robot
I'm having some fun success messing around with song files using the "convert-to-RAW-file" editing method in photoshop.

Also just started doing experiments with movie files. TXT and Image tweaks will instantly corrupt movie files, but messing with values in a hex editor is creating some interesting results! Watchable files with glitches here and there.

Will keep you guys updated on the results!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
It was also kind of a :2bong: moment, but last night I was trying to glitch out a high-res, 300 DPI image and it's funny how cutting huge swathes of text from the middle of the raw file would only generate the smallest of effects when reconverted back to an image.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Getting my feet wet with some audacity bending. Still trying to get an idea of what effects all the effects have.

Here's a couple of those "made to look glitched" things you mentioned in the OP. It's just some stupid PS/AI technique I started doing to random pictures when I get bored.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 16, 2012

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

that donkey kong one is so good. what effect was that?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Zip posted:

that donkey kong one is so good. what effect was that?

I take the image into photoshop first and get it into cmyk color and split the channels. After that I turn each channel from greyscale to a bitmap using the "halftone screen" setting. Here you also want to make the output DPI 300. You have lots of options for the way it calculates this, you can make it do dots or lines or crosses as the shape of the black spots it uses to recreate the image. The line frequency is pretty self explanatory, bigger number means more lines are used to make up the picture.

Then I copy paste the channels into illustrator, apply color to them and move them around a little to give it that effect that makes it look like a printer went on the fritz.

I guess you might have thought I did these with audacity. There are some cool glitches in there, but nothing I found really interesting. I want to mess around with my capture card and some VHS I can screw with to see what kind of stuff I can make.

I think the switch I use with my capture card is haunted. I plugged yellow into the white plug, and got this result. The creepiest part was when I unplugged the audio out from the switch to kill the horrible screeching the picture cut out.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 18, 2012

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Resplendent Spiral posted:

Artificial glitch but enjoy!

These are way loving cool

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Image 3 is actually just setting a capture card to SECAM (or was it PAL?) with an NTSC signal coming in from a digital camera. :)

WhatAliceFoundThere
Jul 18, 2007
Dressed like a victorian at a swimming pool
This is really addictive, both of these images were done with the audacity trick -

Only problem with this method is that editing the file left to right seems to edit the image as top to bottom, which removes some of the more random elements where the right hand side of the image will remain intact. Ah well time to fart around some more.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SeXReX posted:

I take the image into photoshop first and get it into cmyk color and split the channels.

oh, idea! Split an image into separate r, g, b, save each as a greyscale, glitch each differently and then combine back into an rgb image.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

cubicle gangster posted:

oh, idea! Split an image into separate r, g, b, save each as a greyscale, glitch each differently and then combine back into an rgb image.

What I edited and the glitched individual channels are available at http://imgur.com/a/04VRv

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Not unlike "Vogue on Vogue"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

SeXReX posted:

What I edited and the glitched individual channels are available at http://imgur.com/a/04VRv

drat power rangers. That's awesome.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Artificially glitched GIF. I took the idea of messing with the individual channels and thought "what if a gif forgot how to put itself back together." The result was having each color channel run slightly out of sync with the others. Original

e. one without the nonsense. I could see these looking really cool with the right gif.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 4, 2012

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

SeXReX posted:

Artificially glitched GIF. I took the idea of messing with the individual channels and thought "what if a gif forgot how to put itself back together." The result was having each color channel run slightly out of sync with the others. Original

That's an awesome idea.

Here's my interpretation:

Reive
May 21, 2009

I adore glitch art, I've messed around with various techniques for years.
note/wordpad is a good start but what you really want is to find your own ways to manipulate data and learn what effects different file types (Bitmaps are far less likely to break than compressed images, while PNGs are also lossless they break under the slightest error)

There are many ways to distort an image, examples:
opening the raw data in a non image program and resaving causing the offsets to change the image.
Manipulating the data from within said program (changing text in notepad, using search and replace in a hexeditor, applying filters in audacity, etc).
Trying to actually break the image by cutting off a data transfer halfway through or forcefully corrupting a flashdrive containing images and recovering them.

There are even analog ways to do it, like piping video through a coaxial cable and limiting the current or shorting the receiver, really there are endless ways to gently caress up an image.

I also highly recommend compositing different glitches in post if you can't exactly create what you want, for example (and this is the only one I have left at the moment) this is one I made from about a dozen different audio filters:

(Originally Angel from Borderlands)

For those of you who like datamoshing in video there's a simple ruby script that will automate it for you, but you have to know how to install ruby and rubygems to get it running:
http://ucnv.github.com/aviglitch/

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

So this is how 85's music videos were done.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Glitch art related

I like glitch art and often use it as a base to incorporate it into other stuff. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can use a program called Decim8 to do some mobile glitching. Some of the stuff I do with Decim8:

Take photos of strangers with the intent to recursively fold them:

Fold, Spindle, Mutilate by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

With Apologies to H.R. Giger by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

Fold, Spindle, Mutilate by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

Decim8 an image until I get 5 or 6 variations that I like and use Sketchbook Pro (it's an iPad painting program with layer support) to composite together all the individual pieces that I like into a single image:

24/7 by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

Eat the Glitch by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

Machine, Gently Growling by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

And when I find myself with a lot of free time, I use the glitched source to collage into things painted in Sketchbook Pro:

Strangle by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

Janky by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

(fuss) by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

Last year I noticed that if you are in the photo viewing app and you run your finger across the timeline at the bottom at a fixed rate it acts like an animated gif of all your photos in your camera roll. As my poor iPad has somewhere over 11k photos on it and a lot of them are source for glitching, collaging or are glitch variations it looked really interesting. I pulled out 1015 sequential images from somewhere in the middle of my camera roll and used a program called Photolapse to make an .AVI file from them. A lot of this video is watching glitches come together. Marked NWS for scanned polaroids of boobies I sometimes find in abandoned buildings:

:nws: http://www.flickr.com/photos/quietreverie/6235462583/ :nws:

If you want to try any of this: http://decim8.info/ and http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/ for Photolapse

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My take on that scene from American Psycho. Also my first try.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I really have no idea where else to post this on SA... I found some interesting glitch art on this guys web comix kickstarter page but...

What the gently caress is this kickstarter about? I understand none of this and I've watched it twice and tried reading through his details.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438226191/tempest?ref=home_location

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I make glitch art from time to time with photographs I've taken:

These were all randomly generated.
Here's my tumblr if anyone's interested.

Zoolfox
Dec 6, 2012

This is the end result of my first try.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

drat good first try man. That's pretty spectacular

Zoolfox
Dec 6, 2012

Zip posted:

drat good first try man. That's pretty spectacular

My later ones weren't as good. This one just seems to work pretty well, here's the original:

Zoolfox
Dec 6, 2012

Nice work. One of the best I've seen so far.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Glitch Art Mark Rothko.

I opened the jpg in a text editor and typed the phrase "do reptilians exist" in multiple places.

It produced shades of green :tinfoil:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Looks like you got your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

switcher

something I did using Audacity w/a PSD file. I lasso'd the TV set and saved it on a separate layer, and did things like amplify tiny sections/use echo/fade in/fade out/cut and copying. If you select too large an area everything below it gets corrupted, and this final image is actually a composite of two glitched images. I like that you can have the same settings, export the photo, and you'll get a different result.

So editing with audacity, anyone have any pointers? Because I was opening JPGS and TIF's in notepad and it was brutal, the JPG's always get TOO corrupted and the TIF's take forever to load and also get corrupted. Am I doing something wrong w/the text editing aspect? I've got another photo I'm working on.

This is crazy fun, and I'm fairly certain I'm going to be terrible at it, but I'm really going to enjoy loving with this.

edit: original img

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 15, 2012

• Locked thread