Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoolfox
Dec 6, 2012

Penpal posted:

So editing with audacity, anyone have any pointers? Because I was opening JPGS and TIF's in notepad and it was brutal, the JPG's always get TOO corrupted and the TIF's take forever to load and also get corrupted. Am I doing something wrong w/the text editing aspect?

Works best for me when it's all evened out. I try to leave at least 10 - 20 lines as they are before I delete another one. Sometimes I also add some more lines.

EDIT: I don't know if it works for TIFs, but it does work for JPGs.

Zoolfox fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Penpal posted:

So editing with audacity, anyone have any pointers? Because I was opening JPGS and TIF's in notepad and it was brutal, the JPG's always get TOO corrupted and the TIF's take forever to load and also get corrupted. Am I doing something wrong w/the text editing aspect? I've got another photo I'm working on.

Always use .bmp
it makes life so much easier

Oh, also, data bending fuckin' RULEZ

Also, something tells me you dudes might dig slit-scan cinematography as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSesvu_uqLo

Zoolfox
Dec 6, 2012

Cute as heck posted:

Also, something tells me you dudes might dig slit-scan cinematography as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSesvu_uqLo

Haven't seen this before. But it looks very interesting.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

You can do the Slit-Scan effect in AE with "time warp" and a gradient for the mask,

Cozy Hemp Mines
May 16, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I noticed that nobody has suggested that these images are not Art.

From the OP, "Glitch art is defined as, 'the aestheticization of digital or analog errors, such as artifacts and other 'bugs', by either corrupting digital code/data or by physically manipulating electronic devices."

That isn't Art, or at least, the concept behind the aesthetic isn't explained at all in your opening post. Why add digital corruption to these images? Without an answer to that, this seems more like a photoshop tips & tricks thread.

Art is a mode of expression, not a photoshop layer.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

From the OP, "Glitch art is defined as, 'the aestheticization of digital or analog errors, such as artifacts and other 'bugs', by either corrupting digital code/data or by physically manipulating electronic devices."

That isn't Art, or at least, the concept behind the aesthetic isn't explained at all in your opening post. Why add digital corruption to these images? Without an answer to that, this seems more like a photoshop tips & tricks thread.

I think you're getting a little too deep. You're trying to define art in a thread for what is essentially intentional mistakes.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

It is the expression and embrace of seldom-seen spontaneous errors in digital media in the absence of proper error detection & correction and the subsequent creation of new forms of visual media arising thereof

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

gently caress you I literally cried at some of these images ... viewed in the proper context they are DEFINITELY art!!!

Cozy Hemp Mines
May 16, 2009

by Fistgrrl

casa de mi padre posted:

gently caress you I literally cried at some of these images ... viewed in the proper context they are DEFINITELY art!!!

Could you explain the context for the pictures? Maybe I just don't "get" the aesthetic.

Resplendent Spiral posted:

It is the expression and embrace of seldom-seen spontaneous errors in digital media in the absence of proper error detection & correction and the subsequent creation of new forms of visual media arising thereof

Yes, but to what end? What is the meaning of these uncorrected errors? Can you explain to me why this is Art, but an actual, "spontaneous" corrupted image would not be?

Zoolfox
Dec 6, 2012

Let's start posting some pics again, no?

Original:

Modified:

Here's a gif. A gif.

Zoolfox fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 28, 2012

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

Yes, but to what end? What is the meaning of these uncorrected errors? Can you explain to me why this is Art, but an actual, "spontaneous" corrupted image would not be?

I dunno man, I would argue that a spontaneous corruption could result in something that could be considered "art." But why worry about it? These are images that look cool, that are interesting to look at, but you don't see any of us asking for deep analysis of these pieces.

(full disclosure: I definitely had meaning in mind with the images I posted. I don't think anyone would say that makes them more "artful.")

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I like to think of glitch art as gestural abstraction in digital form.

Instead of whipping a paintbrush into a canvas, we're creating chaos within the pre-existing chaos of image data, to create beauty amoung the wretched.

Or wretched amoung the beauty.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Planned art is like a garden - created purposefully by a man. But glitch art exposes the true laws of the universe - that there is no plan. Glitch art is the unplanned garden of NATURAL THINGS brought to the artificial world of the digital. To denote things into "good glitch art" or "bad glitch art" is to undermine the message of naturality. Natural things remove themselves from our ability to judge. The animals do what they will without knowing our judgement. Can you judge a mountain range or a waterfall? Only humans can judge and only human expression can be judged. Glitch art removes a layer of human expression from the work and thereby allows the viewer to appreciate it in and of itself.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

Yes, but to what end?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
This is an image I glitched and then dragged through a scanner for a book I made.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

^ That rules

Here's some stuff stolen from the raddest thing ever

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I wrote butts in a hipstermatic jpg with a hex editor a bunch of times. Then I saved it as a bitmap and XOR'd the whole thing past the header with "butts"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
San Fran?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Bartle Hall Pylons in Kansas City

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Grabbed the first GIF I saw on reddit to start tinkering. I think it worked out pretty well.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

e:

Ping is a little trickier, if you don't edit it in hex it tends to just black out.

e2: poo poo out one more

ok, this is an interesting one, because I just inserted "boner" "titties" and "rear end" on a few lines. The thing is, there is no pixelized effect on my computer, its very smooth. So a real glitch happened on the way through imgur, I guess.
e3: print screen'd into paint and resaved the above

ok, last goddamned edit. It looks like imgur has been doing something to all the uploaded files, because that second one looks a lot different compared to what I have on my hard drive, all the detail is mud. Are they just upping the compression?

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 30, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

It might be best to capture the resulting images to PNG, which imgur seems to tamper with the least, as long as the final image is "small" (under 1mb), and then you won't have to worry about differences in decoding due to platform/etc that COULD occur.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Resplendent Spiral posted:

It might be best to capture the resulting images to PNG, which imgur seems to tamper with the least, as long as the final image is "small" (under 1mb), and then you won't have to worry about differences in decoding due to platform/etc that COULD occur.

From experience I have found that opening glitched images in different programs can result in different outcomes. Different programs seem to have different ways of dealing with unexpected changes in code.

Trigramatic
Feb 5, 2010
Since finding this thread I've been having lots of fun figuring things out. I'm nowhere near savvy enough to know which parts do what but the instant feedback from a thumbnail really helps. :3:

I guess my best results are

and

These two are exceptions. I haven't figured out how to invoke this effect in any other image I've played with.

That said, I worked on one for some friends and got this:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I decided to revisit an old artwork I did.

(The text is different because it's another variation on the above picture.)

I erased some chunks after attempting to add lines of text just completely scrambled the image. However, this still remains in from my previous experimentation...

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes
glitch cat

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Cute as heck posted:

Always use .bmp
it makes life so much easier
Use RAW if you have Photoshop. You can make it completely header-free.

This is great. What format is this artifact? I haven't seen it before.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I finally made something I like! Made it with Decim8 on my iPhone though :/

The original image (Wall of an elevator at some swanky uppity bitch of a country club):

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

Wasn't paying attention to my thread and then this happens.

The Dada movement in 1916 demonstrated through readymades and randomness that art could be found in anything. If anything the randomness of glitch art is re-enforcing this point made a century ago.

Also I love glitch art and there's an ethereal quality to all of the images shared here. :)

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Grabbed the first GIF I saw on reddit to start tinkering. I think it worked out pretty well.

I couldn't get anything out of animated gifs.. Every time I try it just blacks out. After about a hundred attempts I finally gave up altogether.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

My video player glitches out when fast forwarding high-res files.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

More A Clockwork Orange. I haven't had success with other methods, so these are 'organic glitches' just from fast forwarding in my video player.

Click for bigger.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
nvrmind this post!

weirdspaceships
Jan 26, 2012
This thread's made some amazing stuff. I've bookmarked a lot of it to come back to and study. Really good.

Here's three gifs and a not gif. GIMP and Audacity.

http://i.imgur.com/XnSO79h.jpg (possibly :nws: text)

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

hahahah glitched titantic is a cool effect and also I could see myself using that image randomly.

and to the guy with the clockwork orange screencaps... any idea how to replicate that effect? It's like looking through strange glass windows of some kind. I'm rather fond of it

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

space invaders

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

here was the original animation:
(which is already glitch art sort of)

and here's what I managed to do:

I really kind of suck with animated gifs.

weirdspaceships
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah, animated gifs are a pain. What I've been doing is using Audacity for edits, because Notepad++ is just awful for me, I can't use it competently, but before that I do minor edits in GIMP. GIMP will make each frame of the animation its own layer, so it's really simple to colorize or manipulate certain parts. Then I grab certain parts of the image from certain frames, isolate them as new images, then take them to Audacity for further edits. Then I export them back into GIMP into their rightful place.

It's very tedious!

The non animated Space Invaders is nice. It's got that "looking at traffic through a rainy car window" thing going, with almost recognizable shapes blobbing around in a big sea of vagueness.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Zip posted:

and to the guy with the clockwork orange screencaps... any idea how to replicate that effect? It's like looking through strange glass windows of some kind. I'm rather fond of it

By having a bad video card, probably. I was just skipping around a 1080p video in VLC and it does that for a second before going correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Zip posted:

here was the original animation:
(which is already glitch art sort of)

and here's what I managed to do:

I really kind of suck with animated gifs.

What is the top image from? (These are kinda cool, which is why i ask)

• Locked thread