Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
A designer put up a step by step tutorial on editing jpg files in notepad on Computerarts, he mentions a few tricks.
Might be of interest to someone not having luck or just getting started.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/break-jpeg-code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
My crack at it, this is a pretty interesting medium:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I used a text editor and got this, which I dig but I think I'd rather some of the lines still be crisp, but what can you do. Also Photoshop won't open it up because I hosed the code up I guess.

Used Decim8 to get these:

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

There's a new iPhone glitch app out, I saw this appear on my newsfeeds.

The app website has amazing seizure giving background gifs. :D http://glitche.com/

Edit: It's free, but here's a summary of the In App Purchases from cultofmac.

There are two upgrade options in the app. You can pay a buck to get GIF export (some of the effects move, but you can only save stills in the free version) and a bunch of extra effects. Or you can pay for the Pro version which gives you the same, plus high-res PNG export.
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/239613/forget-fake-film-effects-glitche-adds-fake-digital-glitches-to-your-iphoneography/#V4fwoCO3u1JBrlRm.99

the_lion fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 10, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
This first example isn't really glitch art, since the way I change the animation is very deliberate and predictable:

Starting from this gif:

If you only draw every other pixel per frame in a checkerboard pattern, you get this:

If you then expand that to draw every fourth pixel per frame, in this pattern (numbers mean frame numbers):
you get this:

It's kind of like 2d interlacing. Unsurprisingly it also dramatically reduces the gif file size, since you're drawing (roughly) half and a quarter of the data you used to draw.

With that out of the way, I'm going to talk a bit about Imagemagick (I also did the above animations with it).

I think all the examples in the thread where you use Audacity to distort images use RGB images. If you're comfortable with using the command line, you can use Imagemagick to extract the color channels as raw data, manipulate them in Audacity and then recombine the results.

Here I'm going to use the Lab color space instead of RGB. Lab represents pixels as Lightness (L) and two color channels (a and b). It is closer to how our vision works than RGB. Anyway, to convert an image to raw Lab channels (so no headers to worry about), do this:
code:
convert bean-small.png -colorspace lab -channel RGB -separate -depth 8 gray:bean-lab%d.raw
Where -colorspace lab does the conversion. "-channel RGB" means "use the first three color channels", but for some reason Imagemagick always calls them R, G and B, even when using other colorspaces.
-separate separates the three channels into their own layers, -depth 8 sets the output color depth to 8 bits and the gray: prefix tells Imagemagic to save the output files as gray values. Finally the "%d" in bean-lab%d.raw tells Imagemagick to add the channel number there, so the files will be "bean-lab0.raw", "bean-lab1.raw" and "bean-lab2.raw".

Now you can open those three files as raw data in Audacity, do some processing and then export again as raw data

I pitch-shifted the L channel (and then padded the end of the file with random data using a hex editor). The output file I named bean-lab0-pitch1.raw

To combine the processed files into a new image, I used the command line
code:
convert -size 800x515 -depth 8 gray:bean-lab0-pitch1.raw gray:bean-lab1.raw gray:bean-lab2.raw -combine -set colorspace lab bean-pitch1.png
Now because these are raw files and have no header data, I have to tell Imagemagick what size they are, so "-size 800x515" and "-depth 8" are used for that, and again the gray: prefix tells how to interpret the data from the files.
"-combine" combines the three channels into a single image (which defaults to the sRGB colorspace), the colorspace is then overridden and forced to lab with "-set colorspace lab". bean-pitch1.png is just the output filename.

This is the original "bean-small.png"

This is the image where I altered the pitch of the L channel. You can see how the colors of the buildings have not moved, only the lightness data has been distorted.

And here I added echo to the a and b channels. It is a lot more subtle effect because our eyes are far more sensitive to differences in lightness (luma) than color (chroma).

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Wheany posted:

And here I added echo to the a and b channels. It is a lot more subtle effect because our eyes are far more sensitive to differences in lightness (luma) than color (chroma).

This is pretty cool man.

Also I'm pretty happy my thread on glitch art won't die. I haven't made much lately for some odd reason but at least there's a huge amount of stuff here.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Also, if you have Fast Fourier transform (FFT) enabled imagemagick (by compiling it yourself from source), you can make glitch art using mathematics :science:

Using the "bean_small.png" again as the staring point, you can convert it to magnitude and phase components:
code:
convert bean-small.png -fft -depth 16 +adjoin bean_fft_%d.png
where -fft is the fast fourier transform operation, -depth 16 forces the output depth to 16 bit and +adjoin forces imagemagick to save two separate images.
The resulting files are below
Magnitude:

Almost all the magnitude data is in the center of the image, where you can see the single lighter pixel. It is surrounded by not-quite-black pixels that you are probably unable to see.

Phase:

First, altering the "magnitude" image:
If you add a tiny, tiny bit of noise to a limited area in the image (so color very close to black and small brush if you do it by hand), you might get something like this after doing the inverse transform
code:
convert bean_fft_0_edit.png bean_fft_1.png -ift -crop 800x515+0+0! bean-noise-ift1.png
You have to crop the result to the original image's dimensions by hand.

Second, altering the "phase" image:
You have to add a lot more noise to the phase image to get visible results.
code:
convert bean_fft_0.png bean_fft_1_edit.png -ift -crop 800x515+0+0! bean-noise-ift2.png
By doing that, you might get something like this:

Of course you can do the same with any tool that is able to do FFT and IFT. And these were done with the default sRGB colorspace. You could probably do some weird poo poo by using some other colorspace and FFT together.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Here's a tool to easily glitch jpegs.

http://snorpey.github.io/jpg-glitch/

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Some guy is working on bringing glitch to android. There's a video of him using it here:
http://createdigitalmotion.com/2013/08/touch-gl-makes-finger-painting-glitch-art-at-paris-pompidou-android-art/

(Great blog on glitches, VJ-ing and experimental tech. I check it every now and then)

Edit: That post also mentions an iphone app I haven't seen before.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/satromizer/id312566528

Here's a video of the guy using it: http://bensyverson.com/software/satromizer/

Wheany posted:

Here's a tool to easily glitch jpegs.

http://snorpey.github.io/jpg-glitch/

That's pretty neat, thanks for the link!

the_lion fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 15, 2013

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I recently started investigating glitch art, specifically with videos. A friend of mine in grad school specialized in this, and I've always wondered how he did it.

I looked up a lot of examples on how to make programs glitch out videos. Using FFmpeg and Avidmux seemed like a good starting point, but it didn't feel like it was doing enough for me. So instead I just downloaded a hex editor and went in that way.

I've found that different codecs give you different results, and also unfortunately contain different file structures, so finding the actual frame information is . . . aggravating.

Anyway, here's the result of going into an .mp4 clip from the shining and replacing some of the code with my name. I recorded the result off of VLC using a screen capture program so that I could get a clean video file out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSvKdm3LKlE

Apologies for it not being edited down.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
This was posted in the political cartoons thread, but I thought it would fit here as well

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I love the Audacity technique. Lowpass filter:

Highpass:

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Did this to a friend's cat.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

I revisited the concept of a gif that forgot how to put itself back together.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Heyo. I'm experimenting with the idea of using high-res images of wood paneling to create faux glitch effects. I thought wood paneling was a perfect medium to do this with because a) interesting textures b) it's never all just one color and c) it's already paneled which works well with this kind of aesthetic. I spent about 10 minutes working with it, just messing around and experimenting, and the result is pretty alright. Mine doesn't look like much of anything, just a proof of concept I suppose but I think if you give it some time this technique could produce some really cool results.

What do you think? Really, all I did was cut up and adjust hue and utilized different blending modes. I was hoping that someone may find this idea useful and it could help them in their projects :)

WASDF fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 21, 2013

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been making a little program in Max/MSP for glitching images, and I think it's beginning to produce some interesting things:

Original:

:woof:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 16, 2013

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

I've been making a little program in Max/MSP for glitching images, and I think it's beginning to produce some interesting things:

Original:

I'd be really interested in trying this out if you're interested in sharing. Don't own Max on this PC but I have runtime.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breadallelogram posted:

I'd be really interested in trying this out if you're interested in sharing. Don't own Max on this PC but I have runtime.

Sure, you can download it here: http://basvanoerle.com/zooi/glitchv3.rar

It's not perfect yet, so the preview windows stretch pictures to fit, but if you save them they'll be their original size and aspect ratio.

import a picture to glitch by using "importmovie", and then press glitch a bunch of times until a picture appears in both preview windows. It appears the picture needs to work its' way through the various filters when starting :science:

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

Original:

I love this one... SUDDENLY a cartoon dog.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I just found this thread and it is too late to share my holiday cards in a timely fashion!

hho-ho-ho.jpg

A Good Tiding;;

hhappy_holidays

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I found this thread through one of the Finer Art stickies and fell in love with the idea. I messed a bit with text editing but reading through the thread gave me an idea. Instead of using Audacity on the whole image I split the channels, saved them all as .bmp, messed with each in Audacity and slapped them back together. It might be a few steps away from the spirit of this thread but I'm liking the results so far.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Those are wild, dude. I think they're my favorite that have been posted so far. Great stuff.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Had a lot of fun messing with random stuffs a few months ago. I copypasted a Doom 2 review in the data of this one.

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

I spent a long time trying to figure out what Wheany was talking about with his glitch images but after bugging him for a few days and some tinkering I eventually got it. Here were some of my test images. Something of interest is that even by uploading them in their raw png state, the image compression does weird stuff to the image yet again. For instance, the two images after the thick wavy line image are exactly the same, only ones a jpg and ones a png.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sparr posted:

I spent a long time trying to figure out what Wheany was talking about with his glitch images but after bugging him for a few days and some tinkering I eventually got it.

Here is a method more suitable for fleshy human beings instead of beeb boop computer programmers:

Install Gimp, and then this FFT plugin: http://registry.gimp.org/node/19596 (On Windows, unzip the... uh... zip, and copy fourier.exe under C:\Users\<Yourname>\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins)

I'm using this image as base http://flic.kr/p/fHKrXk

Open the image, and run Filters -> Generic -> FFT Forward

Then run Filters -> Noise -> Hurl...
The random seed doesn't matter much, but it lets you get repeatable results. Set randomization to 1%, You really don't need a lot. (My parameters here are Random seed: 10, Randomization: 1%, Repeat: 1), click OK

Run Filters -> Generic -> FFT Inverse.

So starting from this:

And following those steps above, you get this:

That's a bit boring, so I tried other filters after running FFT forward.
This is the result of Layer -> Transform -> Offset X: 5, Y: 5 px, with wrap around

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Sparr posted:

I spent a long time trying to figure out what Wheany was talking about with his glitch images but after bugging him for a few days and some tinkering I eventually got it. Here were some of my test images. Something of interest is that even by uploading them in their raw png state, the image compression does weird stuff to the image yet again. For instance, the two images after the thick wavy line image are exactly the same, only ones a jpg and ones a png.

This is OP Art, not glitch art!! It's gorgeous

Content:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 7, 2014

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 14, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

straight out of the camera

SDIM0113.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

SDIM0111.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

It had a flakey compact flash card connection that I've since fixed http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrdespair/8550566120/

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Hey check out this cool gif I made for ya'll.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I got this out of my iphone camera a while back. Broken cable or something. Looks a lot like the background for hotline miami.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Sparr posted:

…pics...
Those are gorgeous!

I was going over to the sketches thread to try and get back into drawing but read this first…so instead I spent the afternoon writing a Processing script to generate random displacement maps and use them to offset each pixel in time from a random point of a movie - sort of like a slit-scan effect but more freeform. It generates some neat stuff, I want to find some more source material and make it more glitchy though, not sure it totally fits here yet...

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

I took a picture of Lake Superior awhile ago, but it looks a lot better glitched.

And I tried compiling a bunch of glitch images in Photoshop like one poster suggested a few pages back. Not as nice as theirs and it's a bit oversaturated, but I think it looks interesting.

President Kucinich posted:

Hey check out this cool gif I made for ya'll.

This had me laughing for a bit, nice work.

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

Some more experiments

http://imgur.com/a/IkYkM#2

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Just found this thread. Playing with Decim8 on my iPhone has been a fun idle pastime for me for the past year.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

tankadillo posted:

Just found this thread. Playing with Decim8 on my iPhone has been a fun idle pastime for me for the past year.

I like Decim8, but at the same time you can look at a picture and say "yep, that's from Decim8", which isn't so good.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

I like Decim8, but at the same time you can look at a picture and say "yep, that's from Decim8", which isn't so good.

Sometimes Most of the time it makes me feel like when I was 15 and thought photoshop filters were the best things ever. If you play with it enough you can make some cool stuff, but yeah most of the time you need something more than just Decim8. All of the best Decim8 pictures I've seen have also been edited in a bunch of other apps too.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Decim8 just came out or is coming for android according to their Facebook page.

I had fun with decim8 for a week or two but I never felt it was either not random enough (you get similar results too much) or not enough control which made me jump back to After Effects.

Guess you can't have both in any case.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Activation Is Quick And Easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is loving my eyes in the best possible way.

• Locked thread