Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I found this just now, how to get a VHS effect with Photoshop using the Shear filter.
(Normally I hate filters but it's pretty subtle anyway)

http://simonist.tumblr.com/post/35021281219/dariusalpha-super-easy-super-simple-pretty

I hope nobody minds my cross posting from the gif thread.

Been fooling with gifs today in After Effects.

Luigi one is me just fooling with Brotherbrain’s Luigi gif as a base. I hope he doesn’t mind.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I could stare at this all day.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Zip posted:

I could stare at this all day.

Thanks man! I'm hoping to keep this thread going.

If anyone is interested, there's a loving amazing episode of Adventure Tim called "A Glitch is a Glitch" directed by David O Reily (who does amazing glitchy short films).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So, for some reason nothing I try with Audacity works. I downloaded this image, imported it in Audacity, selected everything from .2 to the end, ran an echo over it, exported it with the same U/A-Law setting, then tried to open it as a JPG again, and it didn't work. Same with reverb and every other effect. I have zero idea why this won't work. Even the images I don't alter, just import/export through audacity won't open.

Help?

edit: made this in notepad

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 6, 2014

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

So, for some reason nothing I try with Audacity works. I downloaded this image, imported it in Audacity, selected everything from .2 to the end, ran an echo over it, exported it with the same U/A-Law setting, then tried to open it as a JPG again, and it didn't work. Same with reverb and every other effect. I have zero idea why this won't work. Even the images I don't alter, just import/export through audacity won't open.

Help?

edit: made this in notepad

JPEG is a compressed format, so something like reverb which will affect everything following it will probably completely ruin the file. You have to use an uncompressed file, like BMP.

Altering just a few characters here and there with notepad will probably only create localized corruption, so the file will remain mostly readable.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I've tried it with BMPs, PNGs, JPGs and non-moving GIFs, nothing works. I think there's something weird with how my version of audacity imports or exports data, because the images don't load after I pass them through Audacity without otherwise altering them.

edit- If anyone has a similar problem, open Preferences > Import/Export > make sure "read directly from source file (fastest)" is selected. It works for me now. You can also set it so you don't have to futz with metadata tags while exporting. And yeah switching to BMPs helped immensely. Gallery of what I made so far.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 6, 2014

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I've tried it with BMPs, PNGs, JPGs and non-moving GIFs, nothing works. I think there's something weird with how my version of audacity imports or exports data, because the images don't load after I pass them through Audacity without otherwise altering them.

edit- If anyone has a similar problem, open Preferences > Import/Export > make sure "read directly from source file (fastest)" is selected. It works for me now. You can also set it so you don't have to futz with metadata tags while exporting. And yeah switching to BMPs helped immensely. Gallery of what I made so far.

(Edit: glad you figured it out, post your results!)

For anyone else, these steps have given me the best results in terms of uncorrupted images.

The settings I use are this:

Start with a file that is already in the bmp format. Import as raw data and as U law/ big endness(sp?).

I never interfere with the first and last seconds of any track.

When you go to export, make sure you export it with the same law/endness you chose when importing it the first time. Make sure you're typing the .bmp file extension to the name of the exported material.

You should try these steps before doing anything with regards to databending just to make sure you're getting functional files in the first place.

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 7, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

:catstare: Well then.

edit: did it again

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2014

kidlion
Feb 16, 2014

Bleep Bloop

Some data bending I did for my single. This stuff is awesome. I love to take data and move and copy I to different spots.

pant pant
Nov 5, 2013

spoooky ghost man

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

ScotchKaz posted:

spoooky ghost man

These are kinda charming. Should data bend some more cartoony stuff one day.

kidlion
Feb 16, 2014

Bleep Bloop

Haha that first ghost is awesome.

What did you do to get that wavy effect?

Another one I did of MM (swoon)

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've updated my time-distorter to distort colour channels differently, looks a bit more interesting…

If anyone wants the Processing file I can stick it up on pastebin or something!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

toiletbrush posted:

I've updated my time-distorter to distort colour channels differently, looks a bit more interesting…

Holy poo poo, this is really good! That first one in particular!

Never touched processing, I see people building amazing stuff with it. How long have you been using it?

Have you got any rendered clips of footage? I bet it looks tight.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

toiletbrush posted:

Those are outstanding. Could you please?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Experimenting, trying to get something that looks nice to use on my personal website.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

toiletbrush posted:

Yesss, everyone post more tutorials. You too, Pseudorandom.

I use Audacity to run a small amount of phazer over the image, and export that as the "base" BMP. Then I invert some portions while layering more phazer on top of that, export the result, undo the effects so I'm back at base, then repeat the process till I've got a handful of variations on the "base" image. This is a really quick way to get that "malfunctioning TV" effect.
Use GIMP to import the base and variations as layers, then Filters> Animation> Optimize for GIF. For some reason, this adds that awesome snowy effect. Maybe it's something about GIMP and BMPs and GIFs, I don't know. Anyway, that's how I made these.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

the_lion posted:

Holy poo poo, this is really good! That first one in particular!

Never touched processing, I see people building amazing stuff with it. How long have you been using it?

Have you got any rendered clips of footage? I bet it looks tight.

Thanks! I've been using Processing on and off for years, its a piece of cake to learn if you've done any programming before, the docs/reference are a bit crappy but theres lots of tutorials and decent examples.

Movies would look amazing...trouble is the movie API is slow and awkward when seeking, so right now my script works by literally playing the movie in realtime and grabbing the pixels it needs from each frame as it renders. Way slower than it could be but actually looks kinda cool.

President Kucinich posted:

Those are outstanding. Could you please?
I'll try to post the script up tonight, deffo tomorrow, hopefully with the change to render movies.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've rewritten the rendering part of my time distorter and now it runs in silky smooth realtime!

Download Processing if you haven't already, and then run the script which I've uploaded to paste bin here.

To use it just save the script somewhere and create a folder called 'data' in the same location and put your movies in there. 'maxdelay' controls the max number of frames back the script will go in a movie, and other than that the only param is the name of the movie to load.

The code is a bit of a mess and probably riddled with coding horrors but hopefully makes sense enough for you guys to get some fun out of it!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

toiletbrush posted:

I've rewritten the rendering part of my time distorter and now it runs in silky smooth realtime!

Download Processing if you haven't already, and then run the script which I've uploaded to paste bin here.

To use it just save the script somewhere and create a folder called 'data' in the same location and put your movies in there. 'maxdelay' controls the max number of frames back the script will go in a movie, and other than that the only param is the name of the movie to load.

The code is a bit of a mess and probably riddled with coding horrors but hopefully makes sense enough for you guys to get some fun out of it!

Thank you so much for posting this.

I made a quick and dirty video using this, pulled from the film "Jeanne Dielman," which is appropriately a film about duration. It came out kind of cool. I imagine this would be really interesting if used on a far more action packed clip. https://vimeo.com/87705019

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hello new desktop background

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
This isn't strictly mine, and it's old already, but I've worked with after effects a bit on blending frames and fading in and out of stuff to make this loop from the video Evident Utensils and used it as a sig. Thought this thread could appreciate it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on a boa.e64%ZFEpê'(g34542c£
‚ÂԢ΅

You can do some pretty vhs-esque effects with audacity

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I have a gift for you thread.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I like the visual tearing, how'd you do it?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I sort of double dipped with that glitch tool posted earlier. I glitched the base image once then based a few glitches off of that glitch. I also printed out a poster.

I plan to mount it a bit better for a show I'm in but it's good enough to show people on the internet.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I sort of double dipped with that glitch tool posted earlier. I glitched the base image once then based a few glitches off of that glitch. I also printed out a poster.

I plan to mount it a bit better for a show I'm in but it's good enough to show people on the internet.

nice

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go
I do glitchy arts for most of my music releases and junk.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I dig the one in the forest, as well as the tree of life. How'd you do it?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Content aware scaling/liquid scaling

It's what turns this

into this

What if you apply it to an animation, like this classic scene from the Matrix:

Just applying the liquid rescale on individual frames gets you this:

But what if you were to apply scaling in the time domain? If you take the same row of pixels from each frame of animation and stack them on top of each other, you'll get something like this:

Now if you scale that down vertically by half and then reconstruct the images, you get this animation:

Doesn't look that different from the original, just twice as fast. But here is an individual frame that shows how several frames have blended together:

If you liquid rescale the same images and then reconstruct the animation, you get this:

The first two gifs have 338 frames, the last two have 169.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Wheany posted:

If you liquid rescale the same images and then reconstruct the animation, you get this:

The first two gifs have 338 frames, the last two have 169.

holy poo poo dude.

I really need to learn how to glitch animated gifs.... The last time I tried I wasted like a full day and did literally nothing... each time I tried it would just turn flat black and sit there.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Can you tell me the difference between this and slit scan?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

sigma 6 posted:

Can you tell me the difference between this and slit scan?

I think slit scan is taking row 1 (or column 1) from frame 1, row 2 from frame 2 and so on and then having each row/column advance normally. I guess the main difference is how intentional the effects are. With the technique I used, you're at the mercy of what liquid rescale considers least important information. And in Imagemagick (which I used), the results of liquid rescale depend on the used colorspace. sRGB produces different results from HSB or Lab.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
More on content aware scaling, especially when it comes to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtE8afwJEg

They suggest a technique where you carve a continuous horizontal or vertical surface from the video "cube" to scale it down. I actually wanted to implement this temporally, so instead of removing (an approximation of) pixel-columns or rows from the video, it would remove frames.

It's "easy" in theory, you "just" have to make a minimum graph cut from the video cube, but my feeble mind was not able to understand the math behind it to actually implement it in code :saddowns:

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Wheany posted:

Just applying the liquid rescale on individual frames gets you this:

So this is awesome and I'm trying to do this right now, but I'm definitely confused with the following step and would be very grateful for some assistance.

quote:

But what if you were to apply scaling in the time domain? If you take the same row of pixels from each frame of animation and stack them on top of each other, you'll get something like this:

Now if you scale that down vertically by half and then reconstruct the images, you get this animation:

Doesn't look that different from the original, just twice as fast. But here is an individual frame that shows how several frames have blended together.

When you applied "the liquid scaling to the time domain", did you use the previously liquid scaled images or did you start that step with the original gif? Also, just to be clear, when you say take the same row of pixels from each frame of the animation and stack them on top of each other, I take that to mean take like the first top 15 pixels of each frame of the image I'm working with and combine them into what would be the first frame and then take the next set of upper most 15 pixels and stack those on what would be the second frame of animation? I also take this to mean that I should be taking enough pixels per row so that the resulting stack is twice the height of the original gif dimension in order to be able to scale the resulting images back to the previous gif dimensions?

I'm trying to start simple so I'm using a gif that's got 17 total frames and has a pixel height of 260.

Edit: After really looking at your example, I think I'm doing this wrong.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

President Kucinich posted:

Also, just to be clear, when you say take the same row of pixels from each frame of the animation and stack them on top of each other

I mean that take the same row from each frame, or in imagemagick:
convert frame1.png frame2.png frame3.png -crop <width>x1+0+<row>! -append output_<row>.png
where <width> is the width of the frame and <row> is the row number.

You probably want to make a script that automates this for each row.

Edit: I actually just realized that there is no need to do this individually line-by-line, but you will get a shitload of temporary files if you don't:
convert frame1.png frame2.png frame3.png -crop <width>x1 +repage rows%04d.png
That will save the rows of frame1.png as <width>x1 png files, followed by frame2.png's rows and then frame3.png. Then you can take rows0000.png, rows<height>.png, rows<height*2>.png and so on and stack those. This should be a lot faster, assuming the filesystem doesn't poo poo itself with the likely tens of thousands of tiny files.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 3, 2014

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYwZqmedIgg

I made a installation out of that gif. The room was a little cramped so I couldn't quite get a full shot of the room. Oh well.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Wheany posted:

This is awesome, so I decided to give it a try.

Not quite as cool; I think I did a little too much content aware scaling. I also loaded the pictures in reverse which is why it makes things seems to linger. Definitely going to poke around with this.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Figured out that using protection during content aware scaling can preserve the loop in gifs. Could be used to preserve other parts of time too I supposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Last ten or so posts have been amazing.

Thanks for sharing the content aware scaling stuff! I'm keen to test this stuff out myself. :D

• Locked thread