Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Getting my feet wet with some audacity bending. Still trying to get an idea of what effects all the effects have.

Here's a couple of those "made to look glitched" things you mentioned in the OP. It's just some stupid PS/AI technique I started doing to random pictures when I get bored.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Zip posted:

that donkey kong one is so good. what effect was that?

I take the image into photoshop first and get it into cmyk color and split the channels. After that I turn each channel from greyscale to a bitmap using the "halftone screen" setting. Here you also want to make the output DPI 300. You have lots of options for the way it calculates this, you can make it do dots or lines or crosses as the shape of the black spots it uses to recreate the image. The line frequency is pretty self explanatory, bigger number means more lines are used to make up the picture.

Then I copy paste the channels into illustrator, apply color to them and move them around a little to give it that effect that makes it look like a printer went on the fritz.

I guess you might have thought I did these with audacity. There are some cool glitches in there, but nothing I found really interesting. I want to mess around with my capture card and some VHS I can screw with to see what kind of stuff I can make.

I think the switch I use with my capture card is haunted. I plugged yellow into the white plug, and got this result. The creepiest part was when I unplugged the audio out from the switch to kill the horrible screeching the picture cut out.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 18, 2012

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

cubicle gangster posted:

oh, idea! Split an image into separate r, g, b, save each as a greyscale, glitch each differently and then combine back into an rgb image.

What I edited and the glitched individual channels are available at http://imgur.com/a/04VRv

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Artificially glitched GIF. I took the idea of messing with the individual channels and thought "what if a gif forgot how to put itself back together." The result was having each color channel run slightly out of sync with the others. Original

e. one without the nonsense. I could see these looking really cool with the right gif.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 4, 2012

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I revisited the concept of a gif that forgot how to put itself back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Zip posted:

Incidentally I'm still writing the novel and a few months away from editing it so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. :)

You should try to mimic some classic video game glitches.

Random items appearing in her inventory, forcing enemies to clip through the ground partially to be crushed to death and replacing all the stone in a building with water.

• Locked thread