Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reive
May 21, 2009

I adore glitch art, I've messed around with various techniques for years.
note/wordpad is a good start but what you really want is to find your own ways to manipulate data and learn what effects different file types (Bitmaps are far less likely to break than compressed images, while PNGs are also lossless they break under the slightest error)

There are many ways to distort an image, examples:
opening the raw data in a non image program and resaving causing the offsets to change the image.
Manipulating the data from within said program (changing text in notepad, using search and replace in a hexeditor, applying filters in audacity, etc).
Trying to actually break the image by cutting off a data transfer halfway through or forcefully corrupting a flashdrive containing images and recovering them.

There are even analog ways to do it, like piping video through a coaxial cable and limiting the current or shorting the receiver, really there are endless ways to gently caress up an image.

I also highly recommend compositing different glitches in post if you can't exactly create what you want, for example (and this is the only one I have left at the moment) this is one I made from about a dozen different audio filters:

(Originally Angel from Borderlands)

For those of you who like datamoshing in video there's a simple ruby script that will automate it for you, but you have to know how to install ruby and rubygems to get it running:
http://ucnv.github.com/aviglitch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Messing around with various methods to glitch video (and audio but that's less important), I found one that manages to do a blend of weird stuff, it looks almost painterly in spots.
Here's the example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nud62OFcyTc

And here's a how to:
Get yourself the transcoder avidemux and the old glitch stand by Audacity.
Take your video, and open it in avidemux, for your video codec select 'mpeg4-avc(x264)'*, you can leave the configuration on default for decent quality, audio doesn't really play a factor so just go with AAC(faac) and it'll be fine, set the 'muxer' as mp4 and save (remember to put the mp4 extension in the filename).
Open Audacity, select import->raw data.
Select encoding 'A-Law', leave the other settings alone and hit import.
select the audio, but leave the first second of data alone, the part that isn't maxed out in volume (it's the file header and breaking it will prevent the file from loading).
Go to effect ->tremelo
Set the starting phase to 0, wetness level to 1, and frequency to 0.10, hit ok and let it apply.
File->export, set the type as 'other uncompressed files' hit options and set the encoding to A-Law again, leave the header as RAW, OK and Save, remember to retype the mp4 extension.
Open the video and see if it worked!
You can try other effects as well, most seem to destroy the video too much though, others that work well are changing the tempo slightly, and applying small echoes and fades and different points.

*different encoders have different effects, however flv,x264, and xvid all act very similarly, x264 just happens to be slightly more crazy, if you want less crazy try xvid, if you want a completely different sort of look try mpeg2, if going for mpeg2 ignore applying effects, just open the file and resave without doing anything to it, it goes mental from just the minor data differences, and remember mpeg2s use the '.mpg' extension and muxer, you might want to use PCM audio if it won't let you use anything else.

Reive fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 26, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

Here's a little something I'd been working on last week, it's not exactly what I had in mind but it turned out pretty good:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are you doing those directly to gifs, or individual frames and making them a gif again?
Because I can't for the life of me corrupt a gif without it breaking.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Here's two new things I did, the first is in anticipation of Hotline Miami 2:

And here's one where I've been experimenting to try and create those really pretty images you'd expect to see as album covers, this is basically a combination of ios apps, and I'm pretty happy with the results for my first try.

Reive
May 21, 2009

the_lion posted:

Hey Reive, which combo of apps are you using for the clock one? Just curious.

Decim8, Mextures, and Snapseed.
Snapseed is free by google, both the others are 99 cents each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

WTF? Is is supposed to look like that? I imagine gameplay must be hard.

Yes it's supposed to look that way, and the gameplay isn't very hard, or very existent yet.
That video is from a demo build the dev put out to show off at a convention, which all you do in it is walk around, find the right perspective to make the broken polygons align and hit a button to snap them back together as an object.
There's going to be a lot more to it in the real deal, which is still being worked on.
dev's twitter: https://twitter.com/xra

• Locked thread