Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Sparr posted:

…pics...
Those are gorgeous!

I was going over to the sketches thread to try and get back into drawing but read this first…so instead I spent the afternoon writing a Processing script to generate random displacement maps and use them to offset each pixel in time from a random point of a movie - sort of like a slit-scan effect but more freeform. It generates some neat stuff, I want to find some more source material and make it more glitchy though, not sure it totally fits here yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've updated my time-distorter to distort colour channels differently, looks a bit more interesting…

If anyone wants the Processing file I can stick it up on pastebin or something!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

the_lion posted:

Holy poo poo, this is really good! That first one in particular!

Never touched processing, I see people building amazing stuff with it. How long have you been using it?

Have you got any rendered clips of footage? I bet it looks tight.

Thanks! I've been using Processing on and off for years, its a piece of cake to learn if you've done any programming before, the docs/reference are a bit crappy but theres lots of tutorials and decent examples.

Movies would look amazing...trouble is the movie API is slow and awkward when seeking, so right now my script works by literally playing the movie in realtime and grabbing the pixels it needs from each frame as it renders. Way slower than it could be but actually looks kinda cool.

President Kucinich posted:

Those are outstanding. Could you please?
I'll try to post the script up tonight, deffo tomorrow, hopefully with the change to render movies.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've rewritten the rendering part of my time distorter and now it runs in silky smooth realtime!

Download Processing if you haven't already, and then run the script which I've uploaded to paste bin here.

To use it just save the script somewhere and create a folder called 'data' in the same location and put your movies in there. 'maxdelay' controls the max number of frames back the script will go in a movie, and other than that the only param is the name of the movie to load.

The code is a bit of a mess and probably riddled with coding horrors but hopefully makes sense enough for you guys to get some fun out of it!

• Locked thread