Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So, for some reason nothing I try with Audacity works. I downloaded this image, imported it in Audacity, selected everything from .2 to the end, ran an echo over it, exported it with the same U/A-Law setting, then tried to open it as a JPG again, and it didn't work. Same with reverb and every other effect. I have zero idea why this won't work. Even the images I don't alter, just import/export through audacity won't open.

Help?

edit: made this in notepad

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I've tried it with BMPs, PNGs, JPGs and non-moving GIFs, nothing works. I think there's something weird with how my version of audacity imports or exports data, because the images don't load after I pass them through Audacity without otherwise altering them.

edit- If anyone has a similar problem, open Preferences > Import/Export > make sure "read directly from source file (fastest)" is selected. It works for me now. You can also set it so you don't have to futz with metadata tags while exporting. And yeah switching to BMPs helped immensely. Gallery of what I made so far.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 6, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

:catstare: Well then.

edit: did it again

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

toiletbrush posted:

I've updated my time-distorter to distort colour channels differently, looks a bit more interesting…

If anyone wants the Processing file I can stick it up on pastebin or something!

Yesss, everyone post more tutorials. You too, Pseudorandom.

I use Audacity to run a small amount of phazer over the image, and export that as the "base" BMP. Then I invert some portions while layering more phazer on top of that, export the result, undo the effects so I'm back at base, then repeat the process till I've got a handful of variations on the "base" image. This is a really quick way to get that "malfunctioning TV" effect.
Use GIMP to import the base and variations as layers, then Filters> Animation> Optimize for GIF. For some reason, this adds that awesome snowy effect. Maybe it's something about GIMP and BMPs and GIFs, I don't know. Anyway, that's how I made these.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I like the visual tearing, how'd you do it?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I dig the one in the forest, as well as the tree of life. How'd you do it?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Get the reader involved. Have them cut out all of one letter on one page, that when it's laid out it spells a message in the letters on the page beneath you can read through the holes that were just cut.

Have you read "House of Leaves"? It's the closest thing I can think of to what you're looking for. When "John Dies At The End" was first put online, some parts of the story was placed as a GIF that would flip from words to a freaky image, timed so that the average reader would be somewhere in that paragraph when it happened.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So, I've got a question for folks about a potential Processing project: I'm looking for something I can feed a video clip to that will break it into 10-15 second chunks, rearrange it, and pass a filter over what results. Would that be feasible? My background in coding is I know how to make TI's draw ding-a-lings on the graph page.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So Google cooked up some kind of neural network that runs sheer madness through a visual filter. You might have seen the side effects on Twitter as well. Well, apparently you can process whole video now, as someone did with (of course) Fear & Loathing.

I really dig what you all are doing, good luck! Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
how did you get that hair outline effect at the end?

• Locked thread