Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

SuBeCo posted:

I don't seem to have been added yet? Signed up as SEConn on the 11th.

You are added as a contributor already. I'm not sure if an email goes out or not. If so, check your spam folder. Anyway, when you log in you should see that you are a contributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
Yep, it's all sorted out now - it wasn't letting me see the book submission form until today for some reason. Cheers for that - have submitted my book.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hey, sorry I'm late! Got distracted watching some hockey

And here is your romantic image prompt!

Submissions go here!

Remember, 5.5k-7.5k words. The genre is romance. No erotica. Just like everything else at Goonreads, things have to be kept work-safe.

Full rules and infos.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 1, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Squibbles posted:

Hey, sorry I'm late! Got distracted watching some hockey

And here is your romantic image prompt!

Submissions go here!

Remember, 5.5k-7.5k words. The genre is romance. No erotica. Just like everything else at Goonreads, things have to be kept work-safe.

Full rules and infos.

Excellent. This time I am totally getting in on this.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

:psyboom:

I'm gonna have to think more than usual on this one.

Oxwalt
Aug 10, 2013

by Ralp
Just regged at goonreads. Looking forward to getting busy with you all! Er,...

Oxwalt fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 2, 2014

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I regged a while back on Goonreads, and just wanted to read through the whole thread before I posted in it.

I haven't published anything yet but I want to get back into the groove of writing and eventually publish stuff. Hopefully doing this contest will help.

If I can come up with anything to write for the prompt that I doubt anyone else is doing, that is :ohdear:

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
Registered on Goonreads as CtrlMagicDel.

Trying to get into writing now that I am done with school and might actually have some free time.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Registered as Jalumibnkrayal. Can't wait to dive in.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
There are three weeks left in the spring short story contest. It's not too late to get started!

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I can't uhhh

I can't even write romance into my own series. I definitely can't do it for the short story contest. I'm so shy/awkward when it comes to writing romance. It is a nightmare.

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER
Hey folks, looking forward to being a part of this site. Sign me up for contributor status.

Don't really know what else to say here. :downs:

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Zip posted:

I can't uhhh

I can't even write romance into my own series. I definitely can't do it for the short story contest. I'm so shy/awkward when it comes to writing romance. It is a nightmare.

I don't feel that I'm a great writer, but romance is really hard. I haven't tried it before. The romance I seem to be building in the short story is a little different. Anyway, I'd suggest trying this just to expand your writing. It doesn't have to be sexual or all mushy/feely. I'm just trying to create tension between two people and see where that takes them.

Also, Zeb, you are a contributor now :cool:

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
I just registered and am looking for contributor status. King me

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Just 10 days to go for the writing contest! I scrapped my story and just started again today so I'm hoping it's possible to dish out a few thousand words that make some sense by May 31.

By the way, for inspiration, here is the archive of our horror contest.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Desmond posted:

Just 10 days to go for the writing contest! I scrapped my story and just started again today so I'm hoping it's possible to dish out a few thousand words that make some sense by May 31.

I wrote three thousand words in the hospital last week and then lost the thumbdrive I saved them to (it wasn't my computer and I usually work off of Google Drive just so I won't have any problems like this). At least now it works as some kind of revision. :smithicide:

FWIW, I decided to follow the standard romance novel playbook: who are two people who shouldn't be in love, what would bring them together, what would tear them apart, and what would bring them back together. I actually went through about a dozen spins on that from my starting point as I rejected the common ideas and tried to warp the traditional ones into a more modern framework. We'll see how I do!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 22, 2014

Jetgrahamradio
Apr 9, 2009
I just regged for goonreads as Jetgrahamradio. I look forward to eschewing many necessary things in my life (going outside, showering, eating food, etc.) so that I may compete in your upcoming writing contest.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Just signed up as Chickenfrogman on the site, looking forward to contributing.

Elfforkusu
Jan 15, 2011
I registered as "elfforkusu".

(regex friendly post!)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
:siren: Contest ends tomorrow!!! :siren:

We'll have your submissions up by Tuesday night and then the reading and voting can begin!

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Squibbles posted:

:siren: Contest ends tomorrow!!! :siren:

We'll have your submissions up by Tuesday night and then the reading and voting can begin!

Argh... must make deadline, but work not tight enough yet... and it's midnight Easter Time, so I have to have it done asap. Going to go insane.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

And registered on Goonreads as Shadoer as well, but wrote in my profile my name Victor Vargas.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Currently running a high fever and can barely get out of bed. I'm positive that all my last minute rewrites to improve the language are going to turn out brilliantly!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Just remember that there is an extra hour tonight due to the prompt going up an hour late. So the submission form will close at midnight EST, 11 Central, 10 Mountain, 9 PST.

E: We have five stories--not as many as last time, but great effort considering for many this might have been end of the term (finals, etc.). For me this has been a killer month.

I should have the stories posted Tuesday night sometime after work. With not as many stories, maybe we can vote in one week, but originally I said voting was due by June 17, so just in case someone has not seen the update, if we don't get all the votes in a week, I'll wait an extra week before closing the vote.

Shad, if you finish by the time voting closes, I'll post your story later, but of course it will not be voted on.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 1, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Dammit, went over time. Oh well, guess there's the next contest... and I might as well finish this.

*Sigh*

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
The stories are up, and voting begins.

Unfortunately, one of the stories went over cap for length, so that one is ineligible for voting. I am sorry, too, because that author wrote over 11,000 words. I've left the story up to read to anyway.

I extended the voting until midnight EST on June 17. Even though there aren't as many stories, it gives everyone almost a couple weeks to read and vote.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Just a note on voting: We've gotten two votes, but one user was not logged in when voting, even though the directions said that only logged-in voters' votes count. The reason for this is so that we can enforce the rules of people not voting for their own stories and users being allowed to vote only once. I have fixed this from the back end so now people cannot view the form unless they are logged in.

So, if you have already voted and weren't logged in, please submit your vote again. Thanks!

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
I just submitted my book for listing. If any of you guys are in the mood to read/review a dual-chronology, Cormac McCarthy-ish (and no, I'm not saying I'm in any way as good a writer as he is, I'm simply making a stylistic comparison) crime thriller set in 1895 and 1932, let me know. I'll gift a Kindle copy to anyone willing to brave my writing.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That sounds pretty great but I'm slow as gently caress at reading. username at gmail if you're down.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

SaviourX posted:

That sounds pretty great but I'm slow as gently caress at reading. username at gmail if you're down.

Ok, it should be in your inbox. I hope you enjoy it. And don't worry about how long it takes... This is my first novel. I'm in the appreciative-of-anyone-giving-it-a-chance phase.

Though... if you wouldn't mind, would you let me know if it looks alright on your device? It looks fine in the Kindle previewer, and I've had other people tell me it looks fine, but the Look Inside on Amazon's page looks a bit jumbled to me. I just want to make sure it's presentable.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
I'd like to give it a read as well, in exchange for a review! Username at yahoo dot com when you get a moment. Ta!

Also, try downloading Kindle for your desktop to check the formatting, or use something like Calibre to preview it in for other formats.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

PepperSinclaire posted:

I'd like to give it a read as well, in exchange for a review! Username at yahoo dot com when you get a moment. Ta!

Also, try downloading Kindle for your desktop to check the formatting, or use something like Calibre to preview it in for other formats.

Check your inbox :)

And thanks for the suggestion on Calibre. I really focused on the look of the print edition, and the whole inability-to-format-everything-down-to-the-last-pixel aspect of eBooks is killing me (as OCD as that sounds).

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
Ta muchly! Started reading on the Kindle app for iOS and the formatting looks spot-on. I'll post a review when I'm done. :)

Dubh
Jan 16, 2009

jeffLebowski posted:

I just submitted my book for listing. If any of you guys are in the mood to read/review a dual-chronology, Cormac McCarthy-ish (and no, I'm not saying I'm in any way as good a writer as he is, I'm simply making a stylistic comparison) crime thriller set in 1895 and 1932, let me know. I'll gift a Kindle copy to anyone willing to brave my writing.

I'll take a read if you don't mind. I have a Kindle Fire so I'll help out with that, too.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Dubh posted:

I'll take a read if you don't mind. I have a Kindle Fire so I'll help out with that, too.

Sure. What's your email?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Just a reminder: voting on the short story contest is due in 3 days! One of the short story writers has not voted. If you do not vote, you will lose your vote in the event of a tie :colbert:

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Desmond posted:

Just a reminder: voting on the short story contest is due in 3 days! One of the short story writers has not voted. If you do not vote, you will lose your vote in the event of a tie :colbert:

Can we vote if we aren't writing in this one? I can't write romance.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Zip posted:

Can we vote if we aren't writing in this one? I can't write romance.

Of course! You just need to be logged in to see the form and vote.

By the way, there is another short story contest going on that some writers might find interesting. It isn't really goony at all, and is a serious subject, dealing with short fiction related to climate change. The contest began yesterday. See Cli-Fi Books. The contest goes until August 30 and is being coordinated with the annual 100,000 Poets for Change. I am involved somewhat in that event so wanted to just point it out. The word count for this contest is only 3.5-5K words. The prize pool is a bit higher than ours at $100.00. So, if you have some eco-fiction writing in your blood, check it out.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
The voting has ended, and the winner is...dun, dun, dun Cheeze Kuyeh who wrote The Old Man and the Sea. Congrats! Cheeze gets $50.00 USD in the form of Paypal or an Amazon gift card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

gently caress! I missed voting! Been a messed up couple of weeks. Congrats Cheeze!

• Locked thread