Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just registered on Goonreads, trying to read this thread and figure out how I could get someone to review a bit of my writing.

The website says I can also post here to set that up, so that's what I'm doing. I'd be happy to do a review-exchange.

I've got almost 40,000 words written in a book and I'd like to see if this is even something worth pursuing. It might be classified as 'terrible fanfiction' for all I know, but I enjoyed writing it. I've proofread and edited about a hundred times so far, and I know there are issues, but I want to know if it's even interesting to anyone.

It's a zombie apocalypse book, but not set in a city where all the action happens. They are country-folk who basically are forced to react time and again because of the hordes. It follows 2 people, friends who get pushed into completely different paths.

I've got an entire plot line that I think I'll take out, so it would be more like 25,000 words to read.

Hell, I'd settle for someone reading a few chapters and tell me if it's interesting or too jarring the way I'm doing it.

I'd rather just send someone an epub from Calibre or something than post it here for everyone because I have a feeling I'm going to be embarrassed.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I am pretty booked for the next couple months. I think the site activity is dwindling a bit. We just had four authors participating in the last contest! Maybe we need a kick start again.

I hope you can find a reviewer. I think it is good to ask in the thread. I set up the review exchange on request but think more check SA than the site.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Just registered on the site, looking forward to hearing all y'all's opinion on my book.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Spermy Smurf posted:

I just registered on Goonreads, trying to read this thread and figure out how I could get someone to review a bit of my writing.

The website says I can also post here to set that up, so that's what I'm doing. I'd be happy to do a review-exchange.

I've got almost 40,000 words written in a book and I'd like to see if this is even something worth pursuing. It might be classified as 'terrible fanfiction' for all I know, but I enjoyed writing it. I've proofread and edited about a hundred times so far, and I know there are issues, but I want to know if it's even interesting to anyone.

It's a zombie apocalypse book, but not set in a city where all the action happens. They are country-folk who basically are forced to react time and again because of the hordes. It follows 2 people, friends who get pushed into completely different paths.

I've got an entire plot line that I think I'll take out, so it would be more like 25,000 words to read.

Hell, I'd settle for someone reading a few chapters and tell me if it's interesting or too jarring the way I'm doing it.

I'd rather just send someone an epub from Calibre or something than post it here for everyone because I have a feeling I'm going to be embarrassed.

I'd be totally down to do an exchange with you and run over what you've got. I've been doing a YA fantasy novel that I want to know if it's interesting or not. I've been editing it like crazy, but I suck at knowing what to look for. While I've got a revised draft done at around 97k words, I'd be down to throw you whatever equivalent number of words you want to send me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Started my story. It's been a while since I've written anything but I have a decent concept for this Eco crisis thing

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Chickenfrogman posted:

I'd be totally down to do an exchange with you and run over what you've got. I've been doing a YA fantasy novel that I want to know if it's interesting or not. I've been editing it like crazy, but I suck at knowing what to look for. While I've got a revised draft done at around 97k words, I'd be down to throw you whatever equivalent number of words you want to send me.

You don't have pm's do you?

//Email here//

I am game, I will read your entire thing, I usually have the time when baby is napping.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 14, 2014

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Don't got PMs. Email is dandrews3124@gmail.com. My formatting sucks, but I like to think the plot itself isn't too bad. I'd love to read your thing since I'm a big fan of zombie fiction, so I'll probably have it done for you by the end of the week.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Spermy Smurf posted:

I would like to read this if you're looking for beta readers.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Just registered on Goonreads.com since I heard that all of the self-publishing discussion moved there.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, I finished my short story for that contest. Anyone wanna read it and tell me what I missed through my first edit?

I'm also thinking about voicing it and making it like a short audio story. It'd be easy, I have the equipment and talent (well...I do voice poo poo for a living, talent is a strong word) and it'd be able to transform the story that text just can't convey.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I've added Soulex's review request to Goonreads.

I think that contest ends August 30, Soulex. More info: http://clifibooks.com/short-story-contest-submission-form/

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah it does. Asked for the 15th so it wasnt last minute. Im also moving during that time so internet isnt guaranteed.

Thanks for putting that up there for me. Im hoping I have enough time to turn it into an audio file. Ill also probably extend it later.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Desmond posted:

I am pretty booked for the next couple months. I think the site activity is dwindling a bit. We just had four authors participating in the last contest! Maybe we need a kick start again.

I hope you can find a reviewer. I think it is good to ask in the thread. I set up the review exchange on request but think more check SA than the site.

I wrote (most of) a story for the romance novel but I didn't like it, plus I was out of the country for much of that time so I didn't have time to fix it up. I will be participating in the current contest; I just want to say thanks for doing these short story contents and I hope you don't give them up due to the low amount of interest; hopefully more people will write this one

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Just registered on GoonReads.com

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have also registered for Goonreads.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Drunk Tomato posted:

I wrote (most of) a story for the romance novel but I didn't like it, plus I was out of the country for much of that time so I didn't have time to fix it up. I will be participating in the current contest; I just want to say thanks for doing these short story contents and I hope you don't give them up due to the low amount of interest; hopefully more people will write this one

I'd like to do another one next year. I think more people will be interested if it's not romance :gonk:

Also, everyone up to this point has contributor status.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So I submitted my short story at 4,998 words. Anyone interested in reading it?

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Just about ready to release a novel. Posting here to get registered at Goonreads.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

SmockJoc posted:

Just about ready to release a novel. Posting here to get registered at Goonreads.

I will have to upgrade you in a couple days when I get back to my computer (unless Icon Cat is around).

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Desmond posted:

I will have to upgrade you in a couple days when I get back to my computer (unless Icon Cat is around).

Just checking in since it's been two weeks. No rush.

Edit: Thanks!

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 12, 2014

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

SmockJoc posted:

Just checking in since it's been two weeks. No rush.

You were upgraded a couple weeks ago, but the email might have gone to your spam folder. You can log in and see your contributor status now.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I registered on Goonreads. Now this maybe will push me to get back to writing!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just got confirmation that my story will be featured on the website of that one $100 contest thingy. Not sure how many they selected, but at least it means I have a chance at winning (not really).

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
A winner will be announced tomorrow. I think there were 23 or so stories that will appear in the presentation starting Saturday. There were dozens submitted.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm positive I'm not going to win, but it was fun writing it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

"We are pleased to announce the winner of the contest: Robert Sassor, with his short story “First Light”. This is a teaser. You can read this wonderful story, and many others, tomorrow!"

If it's one of you, congrats!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Soulex posted:

"We are pleased to announce the winner of the contest: Robert Sassor, with his short story “First Light”. This is a teaser. You can read this wonderful story, and many others, tomorrow!"

If it's one of you, congrats!

I am pretty sure your story was selected though, which is good exposure hopefully! All the results are up at eco-fiction.com/contest.

Also I don't think that guy's a goon, but you never know.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think they put everyone that submitted up actually :negative:

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Soulex posted:

I think they put everyone that submitted up actually :negative:

Actually they received a lot more entries that they didn't put up. So, congats

Edit, from the About page:

We received dozens of short stories over the summer. One of the “extra credit” options was to send in a photo depicting climate change, celebrating nature, or showing other eco-themes in photography. The selected photos are shown in our video. We thank the Vancouver authors and artists who got this great project off the ground, at which point we also opened the contest to everyone on the planet. The stories presented here are simply the best ones that qualified, but we appreciate all entries and encourage you to visit us in the summer of 2015 for another contest.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 27, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh wow! That's cool!

Well if you guys would do me favor and read "Tesla" and let me know what you think.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Just registered. I'm about three chapters into my first book. Writing on the side at about a pace of one chapter every two weeks.

I've got the whole thing outlined and how it will end/last line of the book EXCEPT for the middle sections. Which are more like vague ideas of how it's going to go.

Hopefully I don't burn out with this one.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Found out yesterday that my first book has an official release date. :woop:

EDIT: I keep screwing up my code. Time for more coffee!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I recently self-published a collection of 200 poems. Is that okay to submit to Goonreads? I didn't see a section for poetry, so would that just go under anthologies?

Just registered, by the way.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

queserasera posted:

Found out yesterday that my first book has an official release date. :woop:

EDIT: I keep screwing up my code. Time for more coffee!

Congrats -- it looks pretty cool! :)

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Hey, just an update on my thoughts about this site after the past 2-3 years. It hasn't been too active for over a year, and the last writing contest had hardly any participants. The other mods who offered to help admin the site and/or Facebook and Twitter aren't around anymore it seems. I'm thinking about just letting the site run out when it's up for domain renewal. I wouldn't do that if it was active enough, but it's not.

Anyone who has the time to really help it stay active, or who wants the domain, please let me know. The domain doesn't expire until September, so there's plenty of time if someone wants to take it over.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just registered on Goonreads. Username is the same as on SA.

I hope this can help motivate me to write more, maybe finish that novel I've been meaning to write.

flowbee abortion
Feb 13, 2004

Registered as well, name is the same as SA

Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.
Hello! I registered a while back but haven't posted for upgraded/contributor status yet. Admittedly, I only remembered because my first novel, Gilded Shadows finally has a release date. :dance:

But I'd love to hang out, shop around, and get listed on Goon Reads if it's still a go.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Monkey Hat posted:

Hello! I registered a while back but haven't posted for upgraded/contributor status yet. Admittedly, I only remembered because my first novel, Gilded Shadows finally has a release date. :dance:

But I'd love to hang out, shop around, and get listed on Goon Reads if it's still a go.

Hey, I don't think Goonreads will be renewed once the domain expires, due to lack of interest, but that's a few months away. What is your username? I will update your status, though subscribers who have been inactive for a long time have been deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.

Desmond posted:

Hey, I don't think Goonreads will be renewed once the domain expires, due to lack of interest, but that's a few months away. What is your username? I will update your status, though subscribers who have been inactive for a long time have been deleted.

Ah, that makes sense. Because I did look and my old "Birth of a Unicorn" anthology book was still there. My username is Kallysti. Thanks! It's a shame it didn't work out.

• Locked thread