Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Reinanigans posted:

Also, because I'm too arsed to look this up, is this the first real instance of one of the turtles (Donny) being attracted to April? I feel that Casey was always brought in early enough that that never really became an issue. Is this show going to go the Gargoyles route and have an inter-species relationship? Kind of weird.

That depends on if you count "Don't cut me no slack, April" :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am loving this show so far. Raphael's sai disarm/throw perfectly demonstrated how much potential there is for awesome ninja action with this art style.

This part was so messed up I didn't understand why it was included. I mean, I'm not offended or anything, but I was completely surprised to see a cross-section of flesh and bone. Maybe it was a way of testing the waters to see what they can get away with?

I never really followed TMNT as a child, but I'm going back and checking out the 2003 series now. It's pretty dated, but I look forward to watching how it progressed.

Is there any recommendation on the comics? Like where to start and what, if anything, to skip?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were actually two sets of comics. If you want to see the turtles' origins, you should probably go with the Mirage comics, but there's also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures by Archie, that allegedly started out following the original cartoon closely, but by the time I was reading it as a kid in the 90s, it had taken a couple of weird turns and Raphael was missing an eye and dating this anthropomorphic fox girl.

That's not to say that the Archie comics were bad, I've got good memories about them from when I was a kid, just be warned of what you're getting into.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snak posted:

Is there any recommendation on the comics? Like where to start and what, if anything, to skip?

Volume 1 of the original Mirage series from 1984-1993 is highly recommended. Volume 2 is okay, but not nearly as good. Skip Volume 3 (The one done by Image Comics) as it's a massive trainwreck. It was retconned out by Volume 4, which was back under the Mirage banner. It was pretty uneven, but what was good was very good and it never was outright bad. It does end on a cliffhanger though. The newest volume is a an entirely new continuity. It's okay so far, but just so.

There are also numerous one shots and minis, as well as the Tales of TMNT comics. All of those kind of vary in quality. But the main books are probably what you're looking for.

Also, as mentioned above there's the Archie series. Which is sort of in the continuity of the original series. I didn't care for it at all, even though it was markedly better than the original cartoon.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 6, 2012

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Snak posted:

This part was so messed up I didn't understand why it was included. I mean, I'm not offended or anything, but I was completely surprised to see a cross-section of flesh and bone. Maybe it was a way of testing the waters to see what they can get away with?

Oh, they get better :)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Deadpool posted:

Volume 1 of the original Mirage series from 1984-1993 is highly recommended. Volume 2 is okay, but not nearly as good. Skip Volume 3 (The one done by Image Comics) as it's a massive trainwreck. It was retconned out by Volume 4, which was back under the Mirage banner. It was pretty uneven, but what was good was very good and it never was outright bad. It does end on a cliffhanger though. The newest volume is a an entirely new continuity. It's okay so far, but just so.

I'm guessing 3 is the one where Ralph becomes the new Shredder, Leo loses an arm, and Don becomes some sort of cyborg.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm guessing 3 is the one where Ralph becomes the new Shredder, Leo loses an arm, and Don becomes some sort of cyborg.

You would be correct sir. Also, can't wait for tomorrow morning!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
My twelve year old sister, who knew from an offhand comment I made long ago, remembered that I liked TMNT as a kid and recorded the premiere for me on the DVR. The kid rules.

I went in with low expectations because of how lovely most kids programming as today, but the premiere was a lot of fun. I especially liked Michelagelo being the first one to see the Kraang and no one believing him. That was a nice callback to the beginning of the 80s series.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

shinykaylee posted:

Also, Shredder is voiced by the dude who plays Principal Lewis on American Dad, and it will never not make me laugh.

Just looked him up, and he also voiced a guy in the CGI Ninja Turtles movie. He was General Aguila (the one that had a claw like Shredder's).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

...oh my god, was Lewis Black in the latest episode?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I love the Kraang so much. I kind of want an episode of just them talking to each other.

Taking a look at Spike again this episode, he looks more like Tokka than Slash. Though I get the feeling that if when he finally mutates he'll be an original character.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Lizard Bastard posted:

...oh my god, was Lewis Black in the latest episode?

Holy poo poo, Lewis Black as a potential recurring villain? loving RIGHT!

Also, love the fact that Mikey is naming all the mutated villains.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dresh posted:

I love the Kraang so much. I kind of want an episode of just them talking to each other.
"A Kraang episode would be a good episode for the Kraang that are in that episode. The Kraang talking in that episode would be talking to the Kraang that are talking in the episode that is the episode with Kraang talking."

I would watch that soo hard.

Next week's episode looks so loving intense.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

The 2012 Metalhead figure looks loving fantastic!

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Sweet, I already have the 4 Turtles, I can't wait to pick up Metalhead.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
HA. Metalhead's shell is forged out of a manhole cover.

More Lewis Black can't be bad, though not a huge fan of Spiderbites design.

Just hoping this doesn't become a mutant of the week deal, but I have faith they will avoid that. Also hoping these new guys don't replace Bebop and Rocksteady or Tokka and Razar.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm glad this episode continued all the things I liked from the previous episodes. Especially in a uneventful moral lesson episode. If this is what the show's like during a weak premise, it's going to be a lot of fun.

VBane posted:

HA. Metalhead's shell is forged out of a manhole cover.

More Lewis Black can't be bad, though not a huge fan of Spiderbites design.

Just hoping this doesn't become a mutant of the week deal, but I have faith they will avoid that. Also hoping these new guys don't replace Bebop and Rocksteady or Tokka and Razar.

Spiderbite sort of grew on me. It's weird to go from the body horror plant monster to such a cartoonish spider, but his choreography was entertaining.

I think I can take the mutant of the week thing a little longer.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I found it strange Spiderbite was such a competent fighter for a cranky old man.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Dr Tran posted:

I found it strange Spiderbite was such a competent fighter for a cranky old man.

Animal Instincts I guess.

And yeah, the disparity between styles for Snakeweed and Spiderbite is interesting. The cross-section legs really were something else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

appletonoutcast posted:

Holy poo poo, Lewis Black as a potential recurring villain? loving RIGHT!

He was a recurring villain in Mystery Incorporated, don't see why he couldn't be one here.

Dr Tran posted:

"Spiderbytez" according to the captions, but yes, I agree.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Oh man, just seeing the turtles on TV makes me all happy inside. :3:

In particular, it's so nice to see that the turtles' eyes have pupils/irises again.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 7, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lewis Black's been in way more kid's shows than you'd expect.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

VBane posted:

Just hoping this doesn't become a mutant of the week deal, but I have faith they will avoid that.

It won't. The series jumps around a lot between monsters, sci fi and ninjas. You can guess what the next episode will be...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, considering it was spoiled the exact second that the credits stopped going on the last episode, that wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I stopped at toys R us on today and picked up a 5inch of each turtle.

taking pictures is way harder than it looks, but these are really awesome. They are very much in the style of the new show, but have some classic elements as well, such as raphael's skin color being much darker, similar to his older incarnations, as well as all the turtles having whited out eyes. One thing that's neat is that their chest plate is made of soft rubbery plastic, so it allows a little more freedom in the leg joints.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 9, 2012

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Well, after seeing some toy reviews I get the feeling there will be no Bebop, Rocksteady, Tokka or Razar. But looks like Shredder will be getting a pair of mutant henchmen.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

Just announced at NYCC:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I've been kind of silently hoping for this, but I might as well ask now: Will there be the kind of interesting mutants that we haven't seen since gross-out stuff went out of style in the 90's, like a man made of sewage, a flatworm man, or a transparent sack of constantly mutating organs?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I made a thing

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Note to self: Never go to NYCC. Those eyes... :stare:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Still looking good, kinda worried that we're going to end up with "Jerk Mutagen victim of the week", though.

That said;
"OK guys, prepare to unleash the mighty wrath of justice!"
"Seriously, just say 'get him!'"

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
YAY a TMNT thread!

I am loving the show so far and I'm 36 years old. I watch it at work on Saturday mornings from the website.

I loved the original series as a kid and the first 2 movies, 3 was total crap. Never did see the 2003 version, but the Nick version is pretty good. A lot more smart assery than I would have expected.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

MrBigglesworth posted:

YAY a TMNT thread!

I am loving the show so far and I'm 36 years old. I watch it at work on Saturday mornings from the website.

I loved the original series as a kid and the first 2 movies, 3 was total crap. Never did see the 2003 version, but the Nick version is pretty good. A lot more smart assery than I would have expected.

The 2003 series started good, got crazy, then got loving weird and eh, then got okay again. It's worth watching if you're a TMNT fan.

Also, check out the 2007 movie "TMNT", it's alright. Though, if you're any kind of fan, you HAVE to see the "Turtles Forever" TV movie. To put it simply, the 1987 Turtles meet the 2003 Turtles. And it's amazing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So am I the only one who noticed that Mikey did the Kamen Rider V3 transformation motion in his "secret kata" at the start?

...of course I am :eng99:

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

So am I the only one who noticed that Mikey did the Kamen Rider V3 transformation motion in his "secret kata" at the start?

...of course I am :eng99:

We would watch a lot of Gavan and Kamen Rider etc. with Ciro (the executive producer) on our lunch breaks. He's really in to all that sentai and tokusatsu stuff (he boarded the 'secret kata'), and I gotta admit there's something awesome about it despite how cheesy it is.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The cheesiness is why it's awesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Note to self: Never go to NYCC. Those eyes... :stare:

Looks like someone has never seen mike.jpg.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

Finally saw episode 4. Noticed they pulled a line in cold open so now the dialogue doesn't make sense:

Bradford: Master Shredder...
Shredder: I hope my pupil has been using that time wisely.

Ah well...

Recycle Bin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 15, 2012

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What was supposed to be there?

I finally got around to watching this. The writing is still strong, and even though Mikey is the "goofy-and-ruins-everything" character, he was still really sympathetic. What I admired most is that the goons weren't overly dumb, gross, incompetent, or evil just because they were the opposition. They were very believable and interesting antagonists.
The characterization is really making this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yonic Symbolism posted:

What was supposed to be there?

I finally got around to watching this. The writing is still strong, and even though Mikey is the "goofy-and-ruins-everything" character, he was still really sympathetic. What I admired most is that the goons weren't overly dumb, gross, incompetent, or evil just because they were the opposition. They were very believable and interesting antagonists.
The characterization is really making this show.

I really liked that even though he was the "goofy-and-ruins-everything" character, he took on chuck norris by himself at the end and won. It's nice to see him be a competent fighter in spite of being a goof ball.

• Locked thread