Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
No way. Splinter being a guy who had to deal with being a rat was way better. The whole "normal rat that learned kung-fu then got mutated" thing was always stupid.

I'm not sure why they made him the guy that dropped the bowl though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ToastyPotato posted:

:psyduck: It's not really anymore stupid than the turtles themselves??

The turtles learned to fight after they mutated. Splinter was already a freakishly smart rat who learned to fight from watching people, had a full understanding of the relationships of his owner and retained it all after the mutation. The little rat practicing kicks in his cage was just a little too cheesy. Plus Splinter being Hamato Yoshi makes his feud with shredder much more personal.

Recycle Bin posted:

Casey is coming in season 2 :)

Any chance of getting Bebop and Rock Steady?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Oh? You liked Alien squid shredder?
The comics had lobster claw shredder and shark shredder. So combing Krang into his character isn't so bad.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Deadpool posted:

Volume 1 of the original Mirage series from 1984-1993 is highly recommended. Volume 2 is okay, but not nearly as good. Skip Volume 3 (The one done by Image Comics) as it's a massive trainwreck. It was retconned out by Volume 4, which was back under the Mirage banner. It was pretty uneven, but what was good was very good and it never was outright bad. It does end on a cliffhanger though. The newest volume is a an entirely new continuity. It's okay so far, but just so.

I'm guessing 3 is the one where Ralph becomes the new Shredder, Leo loses an arm, and Don becomes some sort of cyborg.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I always love when we see the turtles actually being ninjas.

Is it me or is it really weird seeing something like facebook in Ninja Turtles? for some reason I just kind of assumed it was still taking place in the 80s.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't mean like I consciously decided that TMNT always takes place in the 80s. If anyone asked me I would have said it's present day. It's just something hae been through like 5 versions now without it ever coming up. So seeing them on the internet was kind of jarring.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 17, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone notice in this one Don gets his bo splintered, then he has it on his back again in the next scene. Take be right back to the old series.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

kefkafloyd posted:

This episode got a lot of laughs out of me. The ability to play a comedic show with an undercurrent of drama (not unlike Batman: Brave and the Bold) is a difficult line to walk and these guys seem to be nailing it.

I loved the Kool-Aid Man reference, when Stockman busts through the bricks going OH YEAH! That's how you do a pop-culture reference. It's written to be funny on its own, but if you know the gag you'll get an extra dose of laughs.

They've got Splinter down perfectly. He's the highlight of every show for me.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really like that Baxter can apparently design and build someone functional battle armour but can't change the toner in a copier.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The brain thing was especially dumb since Leo was yelling "It must have a weak spot!!"

I have to agree that smart rear end Splinter is the best part of the show. It's nice to see metalhead again. I like that he's one of the things that's made it through pretty much every version of the show.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 31, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MrBigglesworth posted:

I love the Space Heroes cartoon that Leo watches. It looks like a direct copy of the Star Trek animated series!

I did like that NotKirk's response to the brain slug was to immediately shoot the crewmember.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really liked the foreshadowing with the henchmen handling the dog and the fish. The bow fighting was a really cool touch too. I think my favorite thing is Mikey finally using that long chain thing and not immediately being yanked around. (the second time)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
New Splinter is my favorite thing, but I have to admit I'm still not liking that beard thing he has.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think he's alright. I'm not sure why dog DNA gave him spikes and rock fists, but he's cool.

Spike the pet turtle is definitely going to end up being Slash. I'm sure of it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone notice how often the turtles end up getting kicked into each other?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Man can't wait to get Casey Jones going. I'm hoping we get some Leather Head too. Especially if he's crazy Cajun version.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So how's Xever getting back into the game? I hope Baxter builds him some ridiculous robot legs.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I need to start buying children's toys for myself again apparently.

horriblePencilist posted:

I liked the design of the mousers and really enjoyed the shots and colors in the episode, and thought the premise of the episode is pretty important, but the execution was kinda clunky. There isn't really any indication of Donnie and Mikey being as vital to the team as Leo and Raph; Donnie just tells them how the Mousers function (whereas they would have broken the spraybottle without them anyway) and Mikey just runs away from Dogpound a bit. They've done more important stuff in previous episodes, but here, I felt like they could have been written out of the script.

I get what you're saying but give Don some credit. Leo and Ralph were pretty willing to just let Baxter spray them with crap. Don figured it out instantly and gave them a solution. Plus he also built a working battle robot, interconnecting cars, and voice activated cell phones that work underground.

I think we're supposed see Mikey's ability to improvise or think outside the box, but year we didn't really see it there.

I do like that Baxter decided that a criminal gang was the perfect target for his mouser test run. Just another way he's a genius idiot.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So good to finally see Splinter kicking rear end.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Recycle Bin posted:

It's not really about care or attention to detail. KFP or Transformers would have awesome models and sets too, but it ultimately comes down to how long it takes to render those models. The turtles' models are full of nooks and crannies (just look at those shells!), but those are all angles that you have to calculate lighting for in the final render, and that takes time. Like, HOURS and HOURS of time, so you either A) Buy a bigger render farm so you can pump out shots fast enough or B) simplify your models and sets. TMNT has the luxury of doing A, but Transformers and other shows have to settle for big action sequences that take place in the middle of a barren field.

Even with all the freedom re: CG we have on Turtles, we constantly butt up against constraints that have to do with render time. It's funny. One day we (hopefully!) will have personal computers that could render out our shots in seconds, but today raw processing power holds sway over everything on the show.

I'm actually really surprised by this. I would have assumed that actually making the models and setting up the animation was the part that really took a lot of time.

It sounds like all those old cartoons where they were constantly reusing the same animation clips of spiderman climbing the same wall or whatever.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Have to say I loved the new rat king. I'm pretty sure this episode was a pretty close match to one of the old ones. I think he may have used a flute back then.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So apparently a "rat king" is actually a thing besides just being the king of the rats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MrJacobs posted:

they were re-designed entirely, in the form of Dogpound and whatever the hell name mutated Xever has. And they are actually competant, if outmatched by the turtles. Unless you mean a one-off episode where Shredder somehow mutates a retarded Boar and Rhino.

Bebop and Rocksteady were actually pretty dangerous when they were still new. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtsdJy9Goz0&t=3s

It wasn't long before they went from being pretty dumb to mentally disabled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAjkP-7IUso&t=3s

They did manage to take over the world that one time too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpTkP6BCD-w&t=2s

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Just saw the description for the next episode. Looks like we might be seeing Casey Jones

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I thought we were on season 2. I always get confused when shows take time off.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

404GoonNotFound posted:

And of course the new Turtle Van has that goddamn disc launcher on it :laffo:

Anyway, great episode as usual, and any time we get to see Mikey's bouts of sudden competence are fun as hell.

Best toy!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26FM92xuYEk

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Splinter really is the best. He's always got one line each show that is just killer. I think my favorite so far is refusing to teach ninjitsu to a dork. I'm not crazy about the big twist, but they've built up enough trust that I think it will be alright.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Will it have a dam level?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Heads up there was a new episode. Only found out as I was browsing another board.

It didn't move any of the ongoing plots, had a lot of toyeticness with the van (had several new gimmicks) and the mutant of the week, takes extreme liberties with what mutagen can do, and Splinter wasn't in it. It was still as incredibly fun as the show has always been, and the mutant is grosser and almost as horrifying as Snakeweed.

The mutagen integrating the machinery wasn't that bad. It's way better than the magic "makes every machine better" computer chip.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I thought Don would have at least tried to talk to his roach friend.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

tsob posted:

Oh right, yea, now I get what you mean. Didn't even realize I was mixing up the names. Sounds like a good possibility now that you point it out, though she was Shredder's daughter in the 2003 show from what I gather, so there's a good chance the show will just ape that I guess.

Shredder was an Utron in the 2003 show. Kurai was a street kid he adopted, so it's not really that off that he could "adopt" someone else's kid like that.

I think she was his daughter in the comics as well, but he was just a normal guy (most of the time) in that one.

I think she was in one episode of the classic show too, but just as some random ninja Krang hired because Shredder kept loving up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is the episode of the 80s series I was thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVNEAXfN1s She goes by Lotus, but it's pretty much the same character.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I wanted that character in the show and given how great that loving roach was I am nothing but excited for him.

This was already a pretty creepy character so it's going to be cool to see what they do with him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Bebop and Rocksteady would be cool. They managed to work them into the 2003 version for like one scene. I'm hoping we see Usagi at some point.

Casey Jones has always been basically the same in each version. I'm kinda half hoping that when we eventually see him, it turns out The Pulverizer hit the gym and started taking crime fighting seriously.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I still have a talking Ralph on my desk at work. His Sai and the plastic thing that makes him talk are long gone though. I know my parents still have the technodrome and sewer set in their basement somewhere.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That's exactly what I meant. They got bent pretty easy and stopped working though. I never saw a pack like that. I had a few that came with each turtle.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So April is immune to krang water and never knew her mother? Is it too dumb to assume she's part alien or something?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Didn't the comics have something where she was special in some way? Like old home movies didn't match up with the photos of her and they dug up her parents to get a DNA sample? How did that turn out?

VVVVVV
seriously!? I had a buch of these picture books when I was a kid that were based more strongly off of the the comics than the show. I had one about the magic drawing crystal and I thought it was a great story. So I was super pumped when I finally got to see it animated.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 30, 2013

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I doubt that's going to be the last we see of him since that tank bears a big resemblance to his old costume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHiUL-0hvj8&t=337s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He was too genre aware for his own good. If he was the protagonist of course he would suddenly gain awesome powers and save everyone. I'm surprised they didn't name him Zach since he's basically the same character https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSvfipHaz8&t=134s.

• Locked thread