Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Older versions of the app let you view the original non-mobile version of a post from the menu where you select "quote" and "mark read to here". It was nice for posts with a lot of images you might want to zoom in on without needing to load them at full size one-by-one. Be cool to have that option back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Image uploads that are linked to imugr or photobucket or something.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Image uploads that are linked to imugr or photobucket or something.

Looks like you don't have PMs. Can you email me at pokeyman@nolanw.ca if you're available to test something?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tooooooo bad posted:

Older versions of the app let you view the original non-mobile version of a post from the menu where you select "quote" and "mark read to here". It was nice for posts with a lot of images you might want to zoom in on without needing to load them at full size one-by-one. Be cool to have that option back.

Can you link me an example of such a thread? I'd like to make it more readable in-app, even if we put that menu item back.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

astr0man posted:

I'm not sure about stickied threads, but if you refresh for a "new page" worth of threads, if one of the previously shown threads has moved down the page list it will show up again (since something else might have gotten bumped to page 1).

No excuse for showing duplicates in the thread list though, that part's still a bug.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is anyone using the app on iPhone in landscape? Just curious to see how many. The one thing that sucks with landscape is if you slide up a menu you only have space for like 3 options.

Wondering if trying to move to icon based menus like the iOS6 photo sharing menu would be any better. (And I could make more icons! Muahahahahah) Like:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Half the time I slide in the sidebar thread list on my iPad, it's just the shadow layer, and I have to kill the app to get the thread list back. Is this a known bug?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Any idea what seems to trigger it? I could never reliably reproduce it.

It also hasn't happened in the dev builds for quite some time now, so I'll tentatively call it "fixed".

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
No clue, really. YouTube embeds render as big empty spaces 75% of the time for me, too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Can you link me a post or thread where that's happening? Even if it's inconsistent.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Sure, like the PYF Funny Video thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3262039&pagenumber=1

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Aatrek posted:

Half the time I slide in the sidebar thread list on my iPad, it's just the shadow layer, and I have to kill the app to get the thread list back. Is this a known bug?
You can fix this normally by rotating from portrait to landscape, and back again.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
What I'd really enjoy is a SALR-style option to have threads you've read with new posts be listed at the top of the thread list. For some reason I prefer the Firefox addon's way of doing this where the stickies are first and then threads with unread posts are second, but putting them above stickies would be okay, too.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I never use the app in landscape, and would actually love an option to lock it in portrait mode.

Access to the Leper's Colony would be pretty keen, too.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

ChetReckless posted:

I never use the app in landscape, and would actually love an option to lock it in portrait mode.

You can always lock the phone rotation (double tap home, swipe to the sound options. The leftmost icon is rotation lock.)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

enigma105 posted:

You can always lock the phone rotation (double tap home, swipe to the sound options. The leftmost icon is rotation lock.)

Yeah, that's what I do now. There are some apps I do like to rotate, though (video and whatnot especially), and I'm prissy about having to switch back and forth. I will 100% cop to the fact its a bit of a petty request, but I would prefer to lock my apps individually if I can. Even re-reading that makes me sound high maintenance, but there you go.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Please take all the stupid icons out. Half of them don't exist anyway and it just makes the app size itself larger. It was better when it was clean and simple.

Also, when opening a forum, the threads should automatically refresh. These forums move fast and a lot of stuff changes constantly, so having to pull to refresh every time is lame.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

it just makes the app size itself larger.

The combined filesize of the 248 iphone icons is 2mb, so let's not blame that.

I agree with a toggle. What sucks is when the forum ads new icons and we can't do anything about it without updating the app. Maybe those lazy scumbag designers can try actually working on more and completing the set.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm a fan of ditching the icons just because it seems like wasted screen space. On the full website they're kind of handy because you can click them to filter threads and the like, but the Awful app doesn't really do anything with them.

It's not that the interface is cluttered with the icons, but every pixel counts on a mobile device I guess?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I like the look the icons give so maybe just an option to toggle them for those who don't?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

xzzy posted:

I'm a fan of ditching the icons just because it seems like wasted screen space. On the full website they're kind of handy because you can click them to filter threads and the like, but the Awful app doesn't really do anything with them.

It's not that the interface is cluttered with the icons, but every pixel counts on a mobile device I guess?

I use the icons to find particular threads when I'm tired/just waking up but it's not a deal-breaker to not have them. :love: Awful

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Should be fixed, thanks!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I definitely prefer the icons, even with some of them being missing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think we need a "gooey" pull-to-refresh graphic like in the iOS6 native mail app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Haha I was wondering how easy it is to call that and if it will annoy people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make it an icon of the toxx barrel pouring neon green ooze.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

supersteve posted:

I like the look the icons give so maybe just an option to toggle them for those who don't?

I've said this before but there's no reason to design a new icon set when forums already has thread tags, just link to them like before if you need them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Actually not really the current thread tags look like poo poo on the iPhone and take up more horizontal room in portrait then desired.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004
In reference to scrolling, check out the Dolphin browser app.

With "Auto Fullscreen" on, the top and bottom controls disappear as the user scrolls down. Scrolling up brings the controls back.

It's very fluid and allows for maximum real estate while reading as well as access to controls at all locations on the page.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pseudonordic posted:

I use the icons to find particular threads when I'm tired/just waking up but it's not a deal-breaker to not have them. :love: Awful

This is the most useful thing about the icons.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BTW is there some reason the SQLite database is exposed via iTunes file sharing? Seems odd.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Haha whoops, never even noticed. Means it's getting backed up too, which is pointless.

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur
If I press and hold on a link to another thread, it gives you an option to "add to reading list" but as far as I can tell, there's no option to view said reading list. This feature would be so awesome if implemented right.

awesomekittens fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 14, 2012

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
It adds it to the Safari reading list.

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur
^^^^ Oh! Thanks!

Also would be handy: ability to view all posts by a specific user in a thread.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
When a page finishes loading all the images, it will reset back to the first post. this can be annoying when im half way thru a page and the images finish. is there any way to prevent this? i would turn off images, but that ALSO turns off emoticons. is there any way to have an option that does one but not the other?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
How about keeping the link to the reason in the leper's colony on the "USER WAS PROBATED/BANNED FOR THIS POST" text?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

All good ideas!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

App Store review team posted:

We found that your app offers the user a subscription with a mechanism other than the In App Purchase (IAP) API, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, we noticed that a new user can create an account inside the log-in menu without utilizing In App Purchase.

While your app maybe be intended to enhance the experience of your existing subscribers, with the exception of the content specified in Guideline 11.14, if the subscribed product is used within the app, the subscription must be offered in the app using IAP.

Just submitted a new version with a new login screen. Sorry this is taking so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Just submitted a new version with a new login screen. Sorry this is taking so long.
In other words, "We just noticed something you had in the app since day 1, so you gotta fix it now"?

I mean, they're well within their rights to deny it, but it's nothing new, right?

• Locked thread