Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Had a weird bug earlier. Had to force close the app to fix it.

http://i.imgur.com/jFmOM.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Any idea what you did just before it happened? How do you show/hide the menu? Swipe? The top left button? Where yo rotating your iPad?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I swiped and I did it a few times in quick succession but can't reproduce it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Oceanbound posted:

The biggest problem I would like fixed is reading a thread and all of a sudden getting bumped back to the top because the app has finally finished loading all of the images.

I think we'll just permanently disable that "feature" unless it starts working perfectly.

Though honestly I'm not sure what "work perfectly" means. Which is its own problem.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

This is a thing that I have absolutely no idea what to do about and cannot reproduce, and I hope it will never happen again once I get rid of stupid split view controllers.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

randyest posted:

How about swipe to hide threads you don't want to ever see, and I guess an option in settings to "reset hidden threads"?

This is one of those good ideas I would never have thought of because I wouldn't use it myself. Thanks.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

So is Awful S II MAXX the SA app to get till the new app based on OHIO's code is out then?

I only ask because I'm currently using it and it has some bugs with not displaying punctuation properly or at all.

When will pokeyman's Awful app be released?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

This is a thing that I have absolutely no idea what to do about and cannot reproduce, and I hope it will never happen again once I get rid of stupid split view controllers.
Does this mean portrait mode will look / function differently or are split view controllers just a technical term for something?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

hypersleep posted:

So is Awful S II MAXX the SA app to get till the new app based on OHIO's code is out then?

Maybe use both? They each do some things better.

quote:

When will pokeyman's Awful app be released?

As soon as it bloody well gets accepted to the App Store. It was just rejected a second time, this time because the reviewer stumbled upon TCC. (First time was for it being possible to buy an account without using In-App Purchasing by clicking around the login screen.) Should be able to get this one sorted quickly, though it's the weekend so then again probably not.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TACD posted:

Does this mean portrait mode will look / function differently or are split view controllers just a technical term for something?

The iPad interface uses a built-in chunk of code called UISplitViewController. The plan is to replace it with something else, as well as swapping out the tab bar in iPhone, for something functionally quite similar. I just curse at the split view controller because it does weird poo poo like the bug I quoted.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
May be missing something obvious here but what's TCC?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The crackhead clubhouse. Drug forum.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This happens to me all the time but only seems to happen with orientation locked (I stay locked in portrait mode). Unlocking and rotating or clicking in succession through the tabs that aren't blacked out usually fixes it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pokeyman posted:

Maybe use both? They each do some things better.

As soon as it bloody well gets accepted to the App Store. It was just rejected a second time, this time because the reviewer stumbled upon TCC. (First time was for it being possible to buy an account without using In-App Purchasing by clicking around the login screen.) Should be able to get this one sorted quickly, though it's the weekend so then again probably not.
Is TCC visible to unregistereds? Or was just the name in the forum list enough to spook the apple reviewers? What's your plan for dealing?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

randyest posted:

Is TCC visible to unregistereds? Or was just the name in the forum list enough to spook the apple reviewers? What's your plan for dealing?

I give them an account to use to review the app. They included a screenshot of the list of threads in TCC, and a screenshot of one of the threads itself talking about marijuana concentrate or some such.

Plan is to appeal the rejection. Awful is basically a web browser locked down to only visit the forums, so I don't see the big deal about having one small forum talk about drugs.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it gets rejected again I wonder if you could remove the forum then add it in as an update and just hope they miss it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

We'll figure something out I'm sure. Might have just been one overzealous reviewer.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The App Store approval process is by no means perfect. Good luck getting it through.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pokeyman posted:

We'll figure something out I'm sure. Might have just been one overzealous reviewer.
Do you have to give them an account? It'd be funny if they could only see GBS and gently caress and poo poo and all that :)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I mean I know they have standards or whatever the hell, but I don't see how you can have any browser, including their precious Safari, if the standard is "you can see bad stuff on the internet"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
And the fact that they've already approved at least three apps for this place makes no sway?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I did lower a couple ratings a bit when I removed the built-in web browser (though I didn't touch the one about drugs). Though the rejection didn't mention anything whatsoever about ratings so who knows.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another minor bug. Easy to repro at least:

1. Pinch expand to go into full screen mode.
2. Open a photo in full screen mode.
3. Go back and you have the bottom bar but not the top one.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Pinch gestures work is these apps?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I don't think anything uses a pinch gesture in the version that might one day get to be in the App Store but keeps being rejected.

What do you expect or want the pinch gesture to do?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Nothing, I was confused by smackfu's reference...

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas
Pinching hides or restores the navigation bars in MAXX.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The regular version too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I called it "pinch expand." I'm not sure what the official term is, the gesture where you zoom in.

To be honest, I don't use the feature except by accident.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

To be honest, I don't use the feature except by accident.

Yeah, I thought the app was bugging out on me the first couple times the navigation bars disappeared. I had no idea what happened, and the only way to get them back was to force kill the app and restart. :eng99:

Then I read the Awful thread and became educated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Curious, if I buy no-ads, does it remove the ads from the assorted awful apps?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I paid the :10bux:/2 and get no ads with Awful.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ads don't show up with no-ads. Awful respects your setting for member banners.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cool, thanks guys. I think I'll do it because I keep getting distracted by sexily dressed girls that have no relation whatsoever to what they're selling. :stare:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

priznat posted:

Cool, thanks guys. I think I'll do it because I keep getting distracted by sexily dressed girls that have no relation whatsoever to what they're selling. :stare:

Same reason I disabled them. I mean I guess they work because people keep buying them, but god drat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow without the ad banners on the iPhone 5 the viewing area seems huuuuuuuge now.

Definitely a worthy purchase.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

priznat posted:

Wow without the ad banners on the iPhone 5 the viewing area seems huuuuuuuge now.

Definitely a worthy purchase.
I bought ad free a couple of days ago because of the skimpily dressed ladies made it look like I was doing something odd in public. It's nice to not have them but how does it increase the viewing area at all?! They only show up at the very bottom of the thread.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Er, perhaps I am misremembering then. I thought they were below the controls and always visible but now that I think about it I do not think they were. Carry on!

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
In case anyone's curious about the annoying sexy lady ads that go to random Amazon pages:

Supposedly, the sexy ladies get you to click and then bring you to Amazon, where the person who bought the add will stick a "referred by" cookie in your browser so the next time you buy something from Amazon with that browser, the person who bought the ad gets credit from Amazon. If you click on it in Awful, it won't work to my knowledge, unless you decide to make your purchase from the Awful built in browser for whatever reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Two things: I thank you for the clarification of the pinch gestures. Apparently they do not work on iPad (due to plenty of real estate).

Second, I have bought No-Ads but yet still see the sexy chicks in both Awful and Maxx apps (I do not use the iPhone apps).

• Locked thread