Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

gently caress me. Guess what was in my spam folder. I'm sorry I didn't respond, and thanks for following up.

I have the same setup: bunch of bookmarked threads, each with a handful of new replies. I'm not sure how to go about it. I can't stand having the bookmarks (/forums/favorites/settings) view always open. But that certainly doesn't rule out an option.

Do you like the bookmarks view open for any other reason? Or do you prefer it just for your bookmarks? I've been thinking about some kind of consolidated bookmarked threads view, so you can quickly go through all of your bookmarked threads' unread posts.

I don't like the permanent sidebar in landscape either, it's too easy to accidentally hit another thread while reading.

One way to handle the consoldated threads thing is the sort-by-unread option that SALR and the Android app has, where it sorts threads with zero new replies to the bottom of the list but otherwise leaves the order alone.

That way you get all the threads you care about at the top and it still preserves the relative order. It also means you can just start at the top, click a thread to see the new posts, then that thread will drop down in the list and you won't have to scroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
An idea for view tabs/caching:
When you click on a thread, it creates a "tab" internally for that thread. There is no "list of open tabs" per se, but if you go back to the forums/bookmark list then each thread with an open tab is noted with a tiny icon like a page in the upper right corner. If you click on one of those threads, it returns you to that existing tab without changing its viewed page and keeping everything cached. When you refresh the forum/bookmark list, it clears all tabs associated with that view. This would let you pre-load multiple threads if you for example do a lot of reading on a commute but don't always have good service on that route, or if you accidentally hit Back while viewing a thread it won't kill your place in that thread and you can go right back to it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Fear not, the sidebar will be going away in landscape soon. I think in 2 versions, or so.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Can't wait :D That actually looks really cool.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

dexter6 posted:

I only browse the forums by bookmarks - never any other way.

Seconding this, I almost always browse by bookmarks. I only rarely go into regular forum view mode (on my iPad) - I usually find new threads on my PC. I don't mind the sidebar being open all the time, but I wouldn't mind it being a slide in/out thing either.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Please give option to keep sidebar out.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'd like to add my vote for this as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Seconding this.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Chuck Bartowski posted:

If you're taking feature requests, I'd love customisable font/font size
Adding my support for this feature here! Hopefully it is implemented eventually

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Everything up to this point's on the list!

Feenix posted:

May have already been requested but: Ability to color-choose your Faves/bookmarked threads.

Just to double-check, this means the blue, red, yellow bookmark stars right?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

dutchbstrd posted:

Fear not, the sidebar will be going away in landscape soon. I think in 2 versions, or so.

If you guts are doing this (and it looks awesome) is there a way to include avatar text as well as avatars? A lot of jokes are missing their punch lines.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's tough because some people have a wall of text with their avatar that could make the template look ridiculous if they post a short message.

A potential solution might be to count how much avatar text there is, and hide it if its over a certain length, and add a "..." that you tap to reveal it. ( possibly stolen from the Android app ).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If someone sends me a free iPad I will come up with the best solution :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

It's tough because some people have a wall of text with their avatar that could make the template look ridiculous if they post a short message.

I'm sure we could have that corner of the post grow with the custom title.

The bigger question for me is where do custom titles go on iPhone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

The bigger question for me is where do custom titles go on iPhone?

Hopefully behind an option in settings so I never have to look at them. :v:

The screen is already pretty cramped, which is why I have avatars shut off. I get that they're nice to see but there just isn't room for them.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

The Dave posted:

A potential solution might be to count how much avatar text there is, and hide it if its over a certain length, and add a "..." that you tap to reveal it. ( possibly stolen from the Android app ).

The ... is the context hint that tapping the user bar will reveal the post menu + avatar text. For the newer tablet ui you tap the avatar to reveal the text.

Showing the text depending on length is kinda weird, dunno if it would work that well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thing is if someone has like 4 lines of text for their avatar and posts one sentence it's going to look bad.

There's just no room on the phone for the avatar text, only place I think it can ever be shown is a future View Profile card.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

dexter6 posted:

pokeyman - I sent you an email about this, but the release that lost the always persistent bookmarks view for iPad in landscape really upset me.

I liked having bookmarks visible at all times, it made it real easy to get caught up on a bunch of threads with only a couple of new posts each.

Any way we could get this back, at least as an option?

Same here. I only really browse the forums by bookmarks so the fact that the sidebar was always visible basically made Awful on the iPad the best way (even better than desktop) to browse the forums.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What's the difference between favorites and bookmarks? I would think maybe having PMs instead of favorites would be more practical.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Favorites is a list of Forums, Bookmarks is a list of posts.

PMs are certainly wanted but that's a whole different beast.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Geekner posted:

Tap the avatar to reveal the text.
My vision for this is that the avatar bar in question pops out and expands down over the post to show a larger version of the avatar and the custom title text. It might make sense to override the text sizes in the title text, too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The Dave posted:

Favorites is a list of Forums, Bookmarks is a list of posts.

PMs are certainly wanted but that's a whole different beast.

Oh, I see now. And I think you meant threads, not posts.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
So confused right now Don't know what causes this but I had to force quit.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Chuck Bartowski posted:

So confused right now Don't know what causes this but I had to force quit.

I had this happen this morning as well, but I was able to go back to the Bookmarks page and refresh and it fixed itself on reload.

No clue what happened.

Coincidentally, it was the jailbreak thread that gave me the "Title Not Found" screen. :v:

Edit: Went to post this and got a "Database is Busy" page. Forums might be overloaded.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That happens to me in certain places when using cell data. Haven't been able to pin it down beyond that but my suspicion is network fuckup rather than app bug. (Though maybe failing gracefully could be improved on but eh)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah that's caused by being dumb about parsing things that obviously aren't there. We're a little less dumb about that now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've been getting that Title not Found error relentlessly for the last day or so.

It's so bad I can't even use the app, which is weird because it worked flawlessly without a single problem before that.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
I thought it might be that the forums were getting hammered because of Obama awesomeness? Getting "database unavailable" in safari too.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Taima posted:

I've been getting that Title not Found error relentlessly for the last day or so.

It's so bad I can't even use the app, which is weird because it worked flawlessly without a single problem before that.

The app needs to handle it better, but I think it's because the forums have been having some issues.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ah ok, that makes sense thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

💩 is what I think of string encodings that aren't the one I like.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pokeyman posted:

Everything up to this point's on the list!

Just to double-check, this means the blue, red, yellow bookmark stars right?

Yessir. I may be the only weirdo who does it, but I color code my thread genres. Red for PS3 games. Blue for Mac & iPhone related poo poo. Yellow for Media (movies, TV shows.)

:)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You're definitely not the only one, though honestly y'all a bunch of freaks.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

💩 is what I think of string encodings that aren't the one I like.
What the...? Since when does the Mac support Emoji? You're blowing my mind right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TACD posted:

What the...? Since when does the Mac support Emoji? You're blowing my mind right now.

Last year I think? I remember some chatter about it when it went in, but I forget when that was.

Only works in Safari though.. Chrome just shows a blank.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

xzzy posted:

Last year I think? I remember some chatter about it when it went in, but I forget when that was.

Only works in Safari though.. Chrome just shows a blank.

I can see the poop in Windows 7 with Firefox 16. :tinfoil:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

We're in!

Awful 1.7 in the App Store

Thanks for your patience everyone. The next version, 1.8, is already submitted, and we're polishing up 1.9 right this second.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Test

Edit: Awful's working great. The gamer.txt thread has no image though whereas before it did.

Nice to be rid of that annoying frog.

Edit2: It has some odd looking animation when refreshing. I assume you're aware of it?

101 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 10, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Which refreshing animation?

e: And the thread tag you mentioned is in the dev build. I guess we missed it for 1.7. Sorry!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Maybe he's talking about when you refresh bookmarks, the threads look like they squish together and then expand out.

Edit: I got confused by the change to "posted" instead of "killed" there. Not sure why you made the change. In the previous version, sometimes I wouldn't bother to read a thread even if there was a new post, once I saw who had made it.

Oceanbound fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 10, 2012

• Locked thread