Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's sort of a dick thing to say, but there's no point in mentioning nuances or bugs in 1.7, as its predecessor is already done and in for approval.

1.8 is the cooler older brother that smokes cigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oceanbound posted:

Edit: I got confused by the change to "posted" instead of "killed" there. Not sure why you made the change. In the previous version, sometimes I wouldn't bother to read a thread even if there was a new post, once I saw who had made it.

I 'll take the blame for that and I am turning against it now. I was actually thinking about while laying in bed this morning, wishing there was a feasible way to show both.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I liked how the old app opened external links within Awful instead of safari, is this change going to be permanent?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That said, please do report bugs etc on any version you have. I'd rather tell you "it's fixed in the new version" than not hear about it.

Oceanbound posted:

Edit: I got confused by the change to "posted" instead of "killed" there. Not sure why you made the change. In the previous version, sometimes I wouldn't bother to read a thread even if there was a new post, once I saw who had made it.

There's a few problems here. First is that I don't care for either piece of information. Who originally posted the thread doesn't seem to affect the quality of the thread. And who replied last doesn't tell me who replied second-last, or any of the other replies I haven't read yet. Obviously this is specific to how I read the forums, you may get more value out of this info than I do.

Second is we can't display both. There's not enough room, and I'm not willing to make each row taller.

Third is I'm not sure how useful an app-wide setting would be to toggle between "show OP" and "show last poster". Which one's more useful depends on the forum and what you've already read and even the thread itself. For example, the OP of a megathread is much less useful than who posted last, whereas it's better to see the OP for new threads you haven't read yet.

Actually maybe that's the answer: OP for unread threads, "killed by" for read threads.

Basically I don't know how to solve the problem and I don't like adding more settings so I don't know what to do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I liked how the old app opened external links within Awful instead of safari, is this change going to be permanent?

That's the plan. We found switching back and forth between Safari and Awful a nicer experience than maintaining our lovely built-in browser.

Though it occurs to me we should allow for other browsers, not just Safari.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Edit2: It has some odd looking animation when refreshing. I assume you're aware of it?

I noticed this too, but it's much better in the newer versions, so please be patient.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

pokeyman posted:

That's the plan. We found switching back and forth between Safari and Awful a nicer experience than maintaining our lovely built-in browser.

Does it require a lot of maintenance? I assumed it was using Safari, just within the app.. It's a little annoying in the link heavy threads where you have to keep double tapping the home button to get back to Awful..

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pokeyman posted:

Definitely add a setting for iCab Mobile. :)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mark unread is amazing! I don't think it was a feature in the old one, if it was I never got it to work.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Did you guys remove the unpinch to expand on the iPhone version? I really liked being able to remove the bars while reading, especially on my itsy bitsy iPhone 4S and it's baby screen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I miss the bookmark colors. I hope they come back soon. Really good first release though!! :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

Did you guys remove the unpinch to expand on the iPhone version? I really liked being able to remove the bars while reading, especially on my itsy bitsy iPhone 4S and it's baby screen.

Yeah, sorry, took it out for now. It's coming back.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Good job on the new release! The refresh animation on the bookmark page is a little jarring at first but it's just because it's different. Looking forward to PMs in-app in the next few releases! :3:

Edit: I would like to see who killed the thread instead of the OP on the bookmarks page. OP would be good on forum view.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 10, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Awesome job! A lot more responsive. :)

If you make the change to opening links within Awful, please make it an option - I mostly use on iPad, and a four-finger swipe is easier than hitting the Done/Back button. Not tested, but I hope having it separately cuts down on the number of times when a big webpage loads, then I go back to the thread and have to reload to read the rest of the thread.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Thanks for the great work!

Right now the last page of the iOS games megathread is broken (scrolls to the right) on my iPhone 5.

Edit: Seems like it's a Vimeo embed that is breaking it.

Superschaf fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 10, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I noticed the new update is now not able to be downloaded on the App Store. Is even newer update that got added incoming?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I just downloaded it, so something may just be broken for you.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Is it me, or is there a noticeable lag between opening a thread and it actually opening? It might be my connection, but wasn't sure.

Edit: I'm guessing that might be a way of combatting the jumping around once images load?

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 10, 2012

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

I noticed this too, but it's much better in the newer versions, so please be patient.
Ah thanks, will do. :f5:

Feature request - Dark mode throughout the app when it's enabled. It's fantastic for late night SAing and it's annoying when your eyes get blasted by the white of the thread list. It's the epitome of first world problems but is something that could be done? I'd sure appreciate it :) As would others I assume.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
^^ absolutely this, the dark theme is wonderful.

Posting from the new app now, it's great. The delay after tapping on a bookmark is a little quirk, but nothing deal-breaking.

I think the "posted by" works well, both for some specific forums (TFLC in particular), but also because if a thread has more than 5 unread replies, does it really matter who the very last person was to post in it? Heck, that may be a solution: more than 5 new posts = posted by, less than 5 = killed by. I'm sure someday it can be made into a userpref toggle, but I figure you guys have Many more important things on your plates first.

Great job!

Edit: the edit option is great, as is the new posting confirmation. I really miss the keyboard shortcuts ([ ] / et cetera) though

FreshFeesh fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 11, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks everyone. Everything posted to here is on the list or already fixed!

edit: and below, got that too. Any other browser requests?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

pokeyman posted:

I'd love you forever if I could open in Chrome.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The app probably sends the link to the default external browser. Unless you've jailbroken your device, that's going to be Safari.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Several apps I use allow for "Open in Safari" as an option.

Also, are the SALR colors coming back for bookmarks? I found them useful.

Otherwise, a great update!

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

We're in!

Awful 1.7 in the App Store

Thanks for your patience everyone. The next version, 1.8, is already submitted, and we're polishing up 1.9 right this second.
Posting in a pokeyman thread with a pokeyman app. Fantastic work everyone. I get a lot of use out of it.

Edit: love the post confirmation dialog. Look forward to me ignoring that nope button and just hitting post a lot!

Double edit: did the colons go away for quick or BB code markup?

Antillese fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 10, 2012

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Aatrek posted:

The app probably sends the link to the default external browser. Unless you've jailbroken your device, that's going to be Safari.

You can use "googlechrome://" as a protocol to get links to open in chrome.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Also, are the SALR colors coming back for bookmarks? I found them useful.

FYI, that's a default forums thing not SALR. I don't use them, so I honestly never noticed they were gone while testing but I do think they should come back.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, the missing bookmark colors was the first thing I noticed with the new app. I used the colors as a way to *really* make certain threads stand out.

Edit: and it still doesn't jump to the last post after posting. :(

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Great work but FYI if I post any emoji the entire post changes to "(null)"

iPhone 5 iOS 6 if that matters

randyest fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 10, 2012

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I really liked previously that threads which were closed had grey text on the Bookmarks list. Can that come back as an option?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I really liked previously that threads which were closed had grey text on the Bookmarks list. Can that come back as an option?

This is already fixed in newer builds.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Trip report with new app: opened a few image threads in PYF, images load almost instantaneously and GIFs don't take forever to load up. No longer experiencing the jumping-back-to-first-new-post issue either. Holy Jesus, it's wonderful :dance:

I haven't got to mess around with it too much yet, but so far my only gripe is that there's a good 3-4 second pause between pressing a thread and when it opens. Otherwise, loving amazing job you guys!

edit: The text in the Reply dialog box made me giggle too.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

FreshFeesh posted:

The delay after tapping on a bookmark is a little quirk, but nothing deal-breaking.

Yes, even if it seems a little snappier when the thread pops up, it's not immediately apparent that the tap registered. Maybe a little spinning icon either in the body or on the thread title part? To save my eye from having to flick to the top, to see if data is moving.

After using it a bit, I think I prefer the more dynamic 'killed by' option. But if it can be an option, that's of course good.

When I first open the app (after a long time of not using or if I kill the app manually), I still have to drag to refresh manually. It'd be cool if the bookmark list refreshed when you opened it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
All the YouTube embeds that kept crapping out on me seem to be working (so far). Thanks for the hard work!

Edit: Could we get a settings toggle to disable the 'Are You Sure?' post confirmation?

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 10, 2012

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
Just got an iPhone 5 and the next day a new Awful. Is there a change log somewhere?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Just noticed this. That's going to save me some time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

randyest posted:

Great work but FYI if I post any emoji the entire post changes to "(null)"

iPhone 5 iOS 6 if that matters

I only just figured out (thanks to Geekner's help) how the Forums deals with string encoding. That'll be fixed in 1.9.

enigma105 posted:

Just got an iPhone 5 and the next day a new Awful. Is there a change log somewhere?

Best I got:
git clone git://github.com/AwfulDevs/Awful.git && cd Awful && git log 1.5.16..1.7
If anyone wants to maintain a changelog I'm happy to put it somewhere, just can't be bothered to make it. I try to make my commit messages descriptive and call it a day.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Just noticed this. That's going to save me some time.

I'd love some feedback on this. I can't decide if it's good enough so we can do away with the [ ] = / shortcuts.

And anything mentioned up to here that I didn't call out: thanks! It's on the list.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me it's a bit cumbersome because I have to press and hold, then press an arrow, then if I wanted bold or something I would choose format and then bold. It takes longer than just [ b ]. I think putting the symbol buttons in the header area works well, and it's simple. Also, the [ img ] button makes me choose a picture currently on my phone. If it just pasted from clipboard and wrapped it in image tags, it would be much more suited to how I generally use it. I'm not sure what it does to select an image off my phone in the app. Does it upload it to imgur or something?

brap fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 10, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

I'm not sure what it does to select an image off my phone in the app. Does it upload it to imgur or something?

That exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I'd love some feedback on this. I can't decide if it's good enough so we can do away with the [ ] = / shortcuts.

I prefer it. The shortcuts at the top looked odd to me and this is simple.

• Locked thread