Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

dutchbstrd posted:

Fear not, the sidebar will be going away in landscape soon. I think in 2 versions, or so.

If you guts are doing this (and it looks awesome) is there a way to include avatar text as well as avatars? A lot of jokes are missing their punch lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Allan Assiduity posted:

App issue: when I try to bookmark a thread after opening it from another thread (by following a link), the app immediately crashes; I don't think this happens if I just open a thread normally and try.

e: confirming that this does not happen without a link first being followed. If it's relevant, it was following a D&D link into another D&D topic (monthly megathreads).

Newest version of the app as in the App Store as of 02/12/12.

Just had exactly the same thing happen.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Truman Sticks posted:

Just started using Awful on an iPad 4; I like it so far. I was wondering though if there was an option in the app to filter and display the posts of a single user from within a topic, for instance if I happen upon a 300 page topic that seems interesting but insurmountably large and I want to cut through the faff by only reading what the topic creator has posted and replied to. I know the feature is in the Android version of Awful as "Find Posts From This User," but I'm guessing they're unrelated to the iOS version, so that's why I wanted to ask if it's available here.

This would be really good for catching up on LPs too.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

To anybody who reads YOS, hold onto your butts

Is there a way to extend this across the whole app?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I'm hungover and confused

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Yeah guys could you please all post if your specific browsing experience has been disrupted by this unexpected and huge update to the underlying forum, that's be awesome.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dr. Lariat posted:

Well now that I've gotten to a computer I can see the problem but considering an issue with the app was an inability to get to the end of a thread perhaps you would understand why folks hadn't seen a post saying the issue was known.

pokeyman posted:

Looks like everything's hosed with the new Forums design. We're on it, hold tight.

On a more constructive note, it's early days but do the changes open the door for any improvements to the app?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

mistressminako posted:

I appreciate the information and will do just that. Thanks to everyone who jumped on fixing the app after the forums update.

Yeah this can't be emphasised enough. Pushing out an update so quickly (regardless of how long Apple take to sort it) is really impressive.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cobra Commander posted:

Getting the exact same thing. And reloading each forum now doesnt display thread tags and everything is blank now.

Your iOS install has become corrupted. Do a full restore without resuming form a backup.

Awful iPhone/iPad apps - Page one of one.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

That's unintentional, I'll take a look!

That's probably the other app, Awful S II MAXX. Feel free to delete it if it's confusing.

Or the other other app, the original Awful?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Oh man, that looks great.

The Dave is an artist, and 90x90 icons are his canvas.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

rekamso posted:

Nope, it says 1.9.1.

Wonder why the App store won't give me the newest version. :argh:

I had this. Search for the app, then pick 'update' on its App Store page.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Unfortunately I don't, but you're not alone. You can try logging out and back in maybe. Should be a bit better in 1.10.

Failing this, delete/reinstall?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I hate to be That Guy but the persistent 'pull to refresh' in Bookmarks really shits me. I don't suppose you could put in a toggle to hide it?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Edit: poo poo, this isn't the Australian Politics thread.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hello new update!

- Posted from Awful App.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

I have one more dumb question. When you split an unlimited line off a family plan, is it essentially like signing a new 2 year contract? Because I have a full upgrade on my line and I could use it to upgrade someone else's phone if I could get a 2 year contact price on my phone. But I haven't feeling it won't work that smoothly and I might still end up needing to pay retail for a new phone if I want one.

Wait for the iPhone 6.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This is beautiful. So crisp.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Posting from Awful 2 :)

The only thing I dislike is that there's no green box around posts where people have quoted you, but other than that, everything looks and feels prettier and snappier than it did before.

Oh yeah, I'll miss that. I liked the little feeling of self-satisfaction that gave you.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

And then the app crashed.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Don't do that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This update is great. The new menus make everything feel way more cohesive.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hey, still loving the app Pokeman. Thanks!

Quick feature request: if I copy a link from the YouTube app, it uses the YouTu.be shortened URL. It's relatively easy to chop off the short URL and post video=youtube tags around it, but could this functionality be included in a future version?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

This might be fixed in the next version (also the last iOS 7 version). It is fixed in the upcoming iOS 8 version.

I'll add that to the list, thanks!

I've got the endless spinner on the 8 GM as well. Also saving photos doesn't work - they don't appear in my photo album.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Awful keyboard, a free standalone custom keyboard. You know it makes sense.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

gabensraum posted:

That's interesting, I wasn't going to say anything until this post but a weird thing has been happening for me since upgrading to 8.

Awful works as great as it usually does on the mobile network, but on my wifi actions like refreshing my bookmarks or loading a thread take a long time or time out entirely. And then it will be fine for a brief time before happening again.

It may be that iOS 8 doesn't like something I have set on my wifi (I've tried on both my 2.4 and 5GHz APs) but other other apps are fine. I have completely removed and re-downloaded the app, I even tried a full iphone restore, thinking that the update may have screwed something up. No idea. I'll test on someone else's wifi when I can.

That's happening on my home wifi as well, I thought it was just local congestion.

Also, obligatory "hey you need to resize literally all of your assets for iPhone 6" post.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Beautiful update, as always. Thanks pocket man.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Oh my god. This is the best update. :vince:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Vegastar posted:

And now if I tap img it should poo poo itself.

Yup. Tapping img brings up an entirely different menu with tags for url, img, format and video. Tapping img a second time does nothing. If I kill the app from multitasker and reload it, it will work fine until another image is posted. The cycle will then repeat.

Yeah, I have the same issue. Deleted/re downloaded today and still have the issue. The broken menu also refuses to format text.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Test 1

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Test 2

...Nope, still broken

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This is the broken menu

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I was all scared about what new thing broke given all the new posts, but it's just y'all helping y'all. :glomp:

I believe the unaddressed bugs are on my list for the next version. Hold tight y'all.

And yep search is a big feature I want in the app. I'm in the mindset where I feel like the app is built on such a lovely foundation that I want to fix that before adding major new features. I'm not sure that's reasonable or valid, but it's my current feeling. But I appreciate the reminder, it's always welcome.

You've got the edit menu still being broken after uploading an image, right?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Yeah just installed it. Looks fan-fuckin-tastic.

Bugger, it really fucks with poor Awful. This might be the first beta bug I've encountered that annoys me enough to downgrade.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ok let's test this

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

It works! Posting an image now doesn't break the menu!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Feature request: 3D Touch the app icon to post a banme thread to GBS

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Getting a few Error Code 0 and -1s when trying to upload images. 9.1, latest app version. Is this a known issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Force touch is great! Nice update.

• Locked thread