Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard

pokeyman posted:

This is a bit humbling to admit, but if anyone's curious, this happens because I can't figure out exactly what string encoding the Forums use. It seems like everything I try is wrong. Our current strategy is to try like four different ones until something works.

I really don't like having something in the app that I don't understand, even if it appears to work, so we'll definitely revisit this at some point.
Just a shot in the dark, but could it be windows-1252? I had a similar problem with a site scraping app I wrote awhile back, and that was the mystery encoding that worked for me. If someone copy/pastes a post they make from MS Word, that might do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard
I noticed that the little Ask and Tell banners superimposed over the thread icons in A/T have disappeared. I am using 1.8.1 on a iPad 3rd gen that is jailbroken.

• Locked thread