Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pseudonordic posted:

I use the icons to find particular threads when I'm tired/just waking up but it's not a deal-breaker to not have them. :love: Awful

This is the most useful thing about the icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

dirtyfrog posted:

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this, maybe it's only me, but after clicking on any thread in my bookmarks it takes a good 2-3 seconds before anything happens. Old new iPad.

I think this is a perception thing. Previously the app would immediately jump to a blank thread view and fill it in after a few seconds. Now it highlights the thread you tapped and works for a few seconds before going to a thread view and immediately fill it with posts.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lately I've bee getting tons of network timeouts, when other apps have perfect connectivity.

Usually it will go ahead and refresh/load page/whatever on the second or third try, this makes me wonder if the timeout detection is just a bit too aggressive.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The app seems to consistently crash when trying to open a link to another thread. It shifts to a blank thread view, sits for a couple seconds and exits.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Masonity posted:

Mine has gone from bad to worse. I also now crash when I try to refresh GBS. I've restarted the phone.

Hopefully it's related to the already fixed and waiting on apple bug with pages.

Seeing this as well, although threads load from the bookmarks view no problem.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe it just behaves differently for me, but even though every thread is one page, when I click on it from bookmarks, I still get the new posts. I may have to scroll down, but they're there. And since you have to load the thread before you can post in it, it seems like people should be taking the time to read before they post.

But like I said, maybe it works better on my phone than it does for other people.

The way it seems to be working (for me at least) is you get one long page with some new posts at the bottom, but not all. If you go back out and back into the thread you get about another page's worth of new posts.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Trying to get into the last page of the powerlifting thread in Ylls seems to consistently cause a crash.

Console posted:

2013-02-01 19:01:33 +0000 Awful *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSRegularExpression enumerateMatchesInString:options:range:usingBlock:]: nil argument'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x39d503e7 0x3845b963 0x39d50307 0x38f62063 0x38f61f37 0x88939 0x84787 0x89539 0x84787 0x88db7 0x66619 0x36456793 0x36459b3b 0x3645767d 0x3645a613 0x3645a7d9 0x37f187f1 0x37f18684)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if this is a recent development, but I've noticed that YouTube links opened within awful don't seem to play audio. Example post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433957&perpage=40&pagenumber=154#post412390395

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pokeyman posted:

Hrm, I get audio from all four videos in that post. Can you do me a favour and let me know what version of Awful you have, what version of iOS you have, and whether this happens on an iPhone or iPad? I don't know if I can do anything about it, but that info might help.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.02, Awful latest (1.10.1?)

It surely could be a fluke but when I popped those links out in Chrome the sound was fine.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah I posted before I read down a bit and saw:

Froist posted:

This might sound patronising but it's not; you didn't have the mute switch on did you? Awful obeys that switch for embedded videos which you might not expect as Safari/Chrome/etc ignore it.

This is certainly it, and it never occurred to me to check since my phone is always muted and other apps play YouTube content with doing regardless.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Magnus Praeda posted:

Bug report: I just updated on my iPhone running 6.2 and my favorites list was empty. When I went to star favorites it had stars on a whole bunch of forums I never read (SAS, ADTRW, etc.).

pokeyman posted:

gently caress, sorry. I really wish there was a way to pull this version out of the App Store and go back to the old one.

Sorry to everyone else whose favorites go weird. All I can say is hopefully it won't happen again.

Worth noting that (for me at least) the favorites tab was empty as usual after an update, the stars being marked seems purely cosmetic.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pokeyman posted:

I find I actually use favorites now that they're atop the forums list. I do feel your pain though.

Sorry about the crashing on your iPad. Can you think of any differences between your iPhone and iPad in the app? Maybe eh had different versions of the app? Did you have favorites only on one of them?

I got the crashing behavior on my phone (iPhone 5, latest iOS) and similarly a reinstall fixed it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I'm getting some strange behavior when I tap the fav star of a forum thst's already favorited. Somehow I got it to add the forum twice?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I noticed today that when I open an external link, the dialogue that used to give me a choice between opening the link in safari or chrome now only offers safari.

To add to that, if I tap open in safari, the dialogue dismisses, but safari doesn't come up. now if I tap the icon at the bottom right, I now see open in safari and open in chrome.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pokeyman posted:

Does it happen with all external links? Can you link me an example?

I think I can be more clear now: Open in Chrome doesn't show as an option alongside Open in Safari until the page has fully loaded. If you do tap to bring up those buttons while the page is still loading in the background, tapping Open in Safari seems to dismiss the buttons and do nothing (and if you tap again to bring them back, the page will have loaded by then and the Chrome button appears, leading to my initial description.)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is admittedly nitpicky but in a closed thread, the mark read, PM, copy URL, etc buttons shift around because the quote button disappears.

Is it difficult to maintain their position whether or not a thread is open or closed?

(Edit: use case would be forums like punchsport pagoda where there are monthly discussion threads and you might want to finish reading the previous month)

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 2, 2013

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It seems as if links in custom titles can't be followed from the user profile screen. That or I've coincidentally tried on one that has blue text that isn't a link.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I found a minor leper colony display quirk I think. When you tap or tap and hold on an LC entry with a long probate/ban reason, as it highlights the box changes size to cut some lines off. It fixes itself if you tap-hold-scroll and seemingly if you try to screenshot. iOS 6.1.4 iPhone 5

Test case, the ban attached to this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571226&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post419710507

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I just noticed that if you tap the "..." post actions button twice accidentally then the menu pops up twice in succession and tapping a button on the top menu causes it to dismiss and leave the second menu visible.

Really just cosmetic but maybe worth checking to see if the new version of Awful has the same behavior?

iPhone 5 /ios 6 1 4.

Edit: further toying indicates it only happens on a post positioned on the screen such that the menu will cover the button once it appears.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 22, 2013

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Terminal Entropy posted:

Is it only working on ...'s that would be covered by the menu for you guys as well? If I have two of them on the screen, with one at the top won't get the second menu rather it just closes it, but the one that will get covered gets the second menu to pop up. Scroll the page up to where the ... is at the top makes it work as it should.

Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to get at with my edit.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

kloa posted:

Oh god, the app lives again! My pooping time will go up significantly! :woop:

Awful iPhone/iPad app - My pooping time will go up significantly!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The weird behavior is coming from inside the thread!

Compare how the quote was parsed to the original post (bolding mine)

Urdnot Fire posted:

This morning I started getting a weird bug on my iPhone 5s (iOS 7.1) where a few D&D threads

Ed: iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 Awful latest

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

May have missed this being discussed but is it intentional that the "..." And username buttons seem to be disabled in the period between a page of posts initially being displayed and loading finishing up? ( "finished" = the spinner on the status bar by the LTE icon going away)

I could see how it might be handy to prevent accidental behavior if you try to hit one of the buttons while the view is jumping around, but what I keep seeing is a mostly text thread will "load" interminably, leaving me no way to use the mark-as-read or other menu accessed functionality midway down a page.

I'm doing most of my browsing on a mediocre LTE connection, which is probably why I keep running into it. Latest iOS, latest Awful, iPhone 5.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Trying to load the gif as quoted in this post in the internal browser seems to reliably crash awful, while following the 'X posted' link back to the original post and doing the same does not. Not sure what to make of that. Latest awful, iOS. iPhone 5.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Subjunctive posted:

Sadly, we don't know if an image is big until it's loaded, and even then it's hard to get the system to tell you more than the dimensions (like a frame count or file size). I want to fix it so that they show during scrolling, ideally even during the inertial deceleration. I also hate the small-square thing, I'm going to get brute force with it if I don't figure out anything more efficient soon.

Is there a significant performance impact to this method of image display? I'm finding on my iPhone 5 that an image heavy thread stutters and jerks when scrolling now. It may be that it just looks like it is due to all the images popping in, though.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Subjunctive posted:

It should be less expensive, generally, but I guess with a lot (lot) of small images it might. Can you link me a couple of places you see it? I'll try to reproduce on my wife's 4 tonight. (I will also check to see if the application exhibits that behavior on her phone.)

Sure, it's actually a Let's Play with every update being "lots of small images" in spades so it makes sense that's causing less than stellar behavior http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3595897&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post431580628

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Earlier I tapped on a YouTube link and watched the video in the awful browser, & starting immediately after any time I go back into Awful causes playing music to pause.

I'm not sure this is specific to Awful, I've definitely experienced it previously but wasn't paying close attention to my pattern of usage.

Latest iOS & Awful, iPhone 5.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Noticed a bookmark dupe. Refreshing bookmarks didn't fix it but going into both threads fixed it. Latest awful and iOS, iPhone 5.

I take it back, I thought going into both threads refreshed an errant label but it was just Awful doing the no-new-posts sorting:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 21, 2014

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I've been seeing some odd behavior since last night: trying to refresh my bookmarks or certain forums (tried: iyg, ylls) shows a blank screen with the filter button at the top, then crashes the app. Yospos and byob seem to refresh fine (or at least don't crash. Getting this thread up via the settings menu worked fine.

iPhone 5, latest awful, latest iOS 7.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scrolling down this page seems to regularly cause a crash or brief hang then crash: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&perpage=40&pagenumber=280

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, latest Awful

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if this was covered but intermittently I've opened some YouTube links in the awful browser and found the Done button top left doesn't dismiss the player interface.

Not really sure how to determine if that's awful or ios though.

Latest Awful, ios 8.1.2 iPhone 6.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

bronin posted:

Scrolling through the bookmark or sub forum thread lists is kinda laggy. Not smooth at all. Is this normal? Can't remember if it has always been this way though.
Scrolling through threads is smooth.

Just updated, also seeing this.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Dave posted:

That's a good point I should have thought to bring up. Circling the avatars could ruin some, even the text at the bottom of mine might get cut off.

circular images seems like an awfully jarring design choice in general insofar as it's contrary to how we think of images and photos basically the entire rest of the time.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Trying to load the rap sheet of the user in this post causes a repeatable crash: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626454&perpage=40&pagenumber=47#post443776065

iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.2 latest awful

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I could swear I just ran into an issue where the copy thread link button stopped working- but I can't for the life of me figure out how to reproduce it. The menu would come up with the various actions after tapping Copy or Share URL, but tapping copy wouldn't actually copy the url to clipboard as best i could tell.

I have a tendency to forget about that second menu, and tap Copy/Share and immediately leave the app, not sure if that could cause the share menu to behave badly on return to Awful? iphone 6, latest iOS, latest Awful.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Brain Curry posted:

I love the smilie keyboard. If you do take it out of Awful itself I'll install the separate app.

I've been manually sending my wife :mediocre: since it was created.

Same. I would love if it had some streamlining but even still I text with it basically constantly.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

latest release Awful, ios 8.3

Not sure I've seen this noted before: On the keyboard if you go to the recent tab, tapping any smiley doesn't update the smiley graphics themselves, but does change the notice at the bottom of the screen when one is copied to the clipboard.

e.g., if my first four are

:yum: :awesomelon: :ohdear: :stonk:

the first time I tap :stonk:, I get the notice "Copied :stonk:" and nothing changes position. If I tap :stonk: again it says "Copied :ohdear:"

If I scroll down and back up then the order is changed to reflect the taps:

:ohdear: :stonk: :yum: :awesomelon:

I hope that's clear enough.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

iphone 6, latest awful, latest iOS.

Minor UI nitpick: when the forums return a database error (as they have a couple times this morning) when moving to the next page with the > button, the db error pops up, but the page count still increments as if I've changed pages successfully. Pulling up to change page doesn't change the count, seemingly.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if this is Awful's problem but it's odd behavior: if you tap on a YouTube link, open it in the app, full screen it, then directly come back to awful via the app switcher awful changes over to landscape display, and changes back to portrait if you leave the app and come back.

Latest awful latest iOS, iPhone 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Also seeing crashing after this update: app would come up on the thread I was last in, jump to the forum list, and crash. Force close didn't change anything, but it went away after reboot.

• Locked thread