Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Trip report: the first version on my App Store account is in for review, and the final update to OHIO's version (telling everyone to get the "new" app) is also in review. As soon as they're both ready for sale we'll hit the switch.
Wait, there's going to be an entirely new app? I thought you were going to keep updating the current one ('Awful')? Just tell me that whatever new hotness is coming doesn't have any retarded goddamn frogs on it.

I would also humbly suggest putting some kind of 'report a bug' feature in the app itself so you (or whoever) can easily keep track of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

New app, same code. As mentioned, you can't move an app from one account to another. OHIO wanted the app off of his account, so this is what we have to do.

No frogs either.
Hey, you're alright pokeyman :cool:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

myron cope posted:

I had an idea at like 2 in the morning so maybe it's crazy. But how about a...wheel selector thing (I don't know what it's called) in the posting screen that has the bbcode? It could be like the jump to page thing, and come from a button where the [ ] / = : are now. It would be even cooler if it could have like three separate selectors, so you could put just the opening tag, just the closing tag, or both. I don't know if something like that is possible, or if it would be a usability nightmare or something. But even just one that has bold, italic, quote, strike though. I don't know. I don't like manually typing out bbcode.
Is there any reason the text input area couldn't be a WYSIWYG field? Type in some text, select it and just have buttons for bold/italic/strikethrough like in a word processor. Can't be that hard to program (he said) ;)

Would still want to have the brackets as an option for less-used tags like code or whatever but it might be nice :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

This is a good question, and it's smart to revisit design decisions of the past.
This is all super interesting and I wish I was in any way proficient at coding so I could lend a hand. I'm really glad you've got the reigns on this, you seem eager to jump on new features / bugs as well as knowing what you're doing. Thanks for your time & work buddy :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

This is a thing that I have absolutely no idea what to do about and cannot reproduce, and I hope it will never happen again once I get rid of stupid split view controllers.
Does this mean portrait mode will look / function differently or are split view controllers just a technical term for something?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Please give option to keep sidebar out.
I'd like to add my vote for this as well.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

💩 is what I think of string encodings that aren't the one I like.
What the...? Since when does the Mac support Emoji? You're blowing my mind right now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Exellent work, thanks so much :)

Hope you manage to sneak TCC back in in a future update ;)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I know this has been brought up before and may be nothing to do with the app, but in the new version are there any logfiles or anything that could maybe help diagnose why I can never use it on 3G?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pissflaps posted:

Are you able to access SA using your browser on 3G? Maybe it's been categorised by your service provider as 'adult' and requires you to contact them to enable such sites? Just a thought.
Holy poo poo, this was it exactly. Never even occurred as a possibility; thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

For everybody asking about dark mode - what's wrong with the 'high contrast' mode built into the phone? I have triple-tap on the home button set to activate it and it's basically a super convenient dark mode that works across the entire phone.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Diabolik900 posted:

It was the first Google Image result for "picture."
It's like a slice of giant rocky cheesecake.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

randyest posted:

Yeah me too so maybe it's an ios issue. Seems to happen more often in awful though. Not a big deal, just weird.
I'm gonna assume this is to do with each post being inside a table cell, which wouldn't be an issue on news sites and stuff.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Slick, loving the new background when you load it up. Nice work all round as always.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Were we still going to get a toggle to make the sidebar always present in landscape view on the iPad? I guess there were only a few of us but it still seems like the screen is just a bit too wide to read comfortably in this orientation. Would love it if this was possible :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'd love an option/toggle that turns avatars off on 3G, but keeps them on on wifi.

Would this be at all possible in a future release?
Avatars are absolutely tiny, they won't be making up more than an infinitesimal amount of your monthly allowance.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just managed to make the app crash writing out this post in the iOS games thread (luckily my spider-sense tingled and I copied the post first). Before it crashed, the text entry controls became kind of laggy, and when I long-pressed the box with Select/Select All was missing the pointy arrow part and didn't select text when I chose an option.

This bug report is probably entirely unhelpful. You're welcome :D

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bug - All of a sudden the page selector at the bottom shows 'Page 1 of 1' on every thread I visit. Tried closing / re opening the app, choosing a bookmarked and a new thread and it still does it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pseudonordic posted:

Fixed and submitted for review. Hold tight!
Oh, I now see all the other posts about this. I'm 'that guy' aren't I. I just wanted to be the first to find a weird new bug like all the cool kids :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Here's an idea to prevent a similar future flood of identical bug reports: Could you add a special case for this thread in the app, so that it looks for a particular string in the first post (like the warning you have enclosed in :siren: smilies) and pops up an alert / announces it in some way when you open this thread? Then there's absolutely no way anybody could fail to know if you're already aware of some app-breaking bug.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Did you try turning it off and turning it on again?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have a very low priority bug for you. On YouTube videos that require a click through to the app or main site, eg:

The text is unclickable and I can't do anything with it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

unpurposed posted:

Sure, this is a screenshot taken on my mini. Compare the icon to theo others I have on my home screen. It's really not a big deal to me at all but thought it'd be great for the awesome app to have an awesome icon too :)

You converted your .png screenshot to a jpg so any fine detail you wanted to be noticed has been gobbled up by artifacting.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Minor bug: I don't seem to be able to reveal spoilers that are in a list. (As seen in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525464&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post412128622)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is anybody else finding it a massive chore to select / delete large chunks of text from quotes? Fairly often I find myself wanting to quote just a single pertinent sentence from an enormously long post somebody has made, and it's a reals hassle to select the unwanted text and drag the selection box down past the end of the screen so it scrolls and encompasses more.

I feel like the real problem here is iOS' text selection mechanism, but I don't know if there's any clean way the app could compensate for this at all?

I realise this is probably way more effort than it's worth :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EC posted:

Tapping with two fingers will select an entire paragraph of text. I was pretty blown away by that when I first learned it.
Well holy poo poo.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OK, I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet. I'm getting a rendering error in some links on the in-built browser where the background colour will show up as whatever the post background colour is (meaning in dark mode I get black text on black background :( )

Example: in this post I click the link and it looks like this:

Also, I retract all previous comments pooh-poohing dark mode. It rules and I use it exclusively now.

Edit: I get the same results on the iPad.

TACD fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 19, 2013

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

myron cope posted:

Rendered ok for me, dark theme, testing build, iOS 6.1.1 iPhone 4S

Oh golly, I forgot that Apple's been pushing out software updates pretty quickly recently. Let me update and I'll report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Diabolik900 posted:

I never noticed this myself, but it looks like Pokeyman fixed it, so it should be good in the next update.

Edit: Although technically the real fault is with the web developers for not specifying a background color on their sites, but I'm sure I've done the same thing plenty of times myself.
Ah, excellent :) I figured it wasn't likely to be anything iOS related (and the update didn't fix it, but needed to be done anyway).

• Locked thread