Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

Sometimes that just happens on the site. If I make a post in a browser, then quickly go to my bookmarks, as often as not the thread I posted in will have up-to-date info in its row yet its row hasn't moved. If I wait a minute and then go to my bookmarks, everything's ok.

Does that sound like what could be happening? Or are there other threads unexpectedly standing still in your bookmarks?

That's by forums design. Chooch set the DB up to only recalculate thread list order once per minute or so.

A small issue: when viewing an image full screen, the text from the status bar still shows (in black). Is that a bug or an iOS 7 limitation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I have to say, App management has always been buggy on iOS in one way or another. Nothing the Awful devs can do about that, though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Blackula69 posted:

Also yospos style sheet appears to be disabled

I don't get how features can be removed with each release

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Blackula69 posted:

I haven't snivelled at all, get over yourselves. The app broke itself when it updated so I had to redownload. now yospos doesn't work in dark mode. it's a goddamn bug report

dude that entire second sentence was a completely unnecessary snipe at the developers because you didn't like having to come in and report a bug. report the issue and move on.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

That's not necessarily true, though. The two pane view is great for skimming through a bunch of threads quickly, like catching up on my bookmarks. I'd settle for the "fullscreen in portrait, split in landscape" mode of the old version, personally.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

A couple minor visual issues with the popover in the iPad view:

I think the arrow is backwards

And when it fades out it has a weird appearance

Both of these persist after closing and reopening the app, and on both the normal and YOSPOS stylesheets.

Also, it seems to have produced a crash on launch bug on this device now. I can post the crash report if you want it, but I'm not sure what triggered it or how to get around it short of reinstalling the app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Were there really more attacks on the forums? I saw several CloudFlare bad gateway pages while browsing (not the app) earlier today, I bet those are connected to the error people were getting in the app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Killmaster posted:

Looks like when I switch the theme in yospos to Mac OS it will crash on threads in that sub forum until I sign out and sign in again. Anyone else have that issue?

Yeah, I see it. iPhone 5, latest everything.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

It's "In Review".

It used to be in "Metadata Rejected" because the reviewer couldn't log in, because the Forums were down :(

So I take it there's an account for the reviewer. I'm curious, have they ever posted?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

A little bump in line-height, the tiniest decrease in letter spacing, and a little more padding around the post-body:

better, but I'd tone down the green bar, or just leave it blue like the rest of the forums

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Does Google even work reliably for in-thread search? I would think its bots wouldn't be able to get around the paywall.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I think my vote will have to be for antialiasing the MacinYOS theme, otherwise letters look bold at random.

e: or going all-in on Chicago if that's possible. Wasn't it that way at one point?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If anyone is planning a trip through Missouri could you stop by the Something Awful LLC office and take a picture for the basement thanks.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Awful 3 is very nice. Especially the new imageview.

E: are these icons meant to be left aligned?

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ickna posted:

Could we get the clock bar back in landscape view? Usually when I'm browsing on my phone, I'm killing a few minutes before an event or meeting and I'm constantly glancing up to check the time while reading threads.

I think it's now (as of iOS 8) System wide that the statusbar does not show in landscape. Could be wrong.

e: an informal survey seems to suggest that it's possible but not common (only Steam and some Google apps actually showed the status bar in landscape mode, while a few apps (like Wikipanion) appeared to make room for the status bar but it didn't appear.) So it might be doable.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 11, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Upside down is not working on my 6. I think it's just due to the fact that the 6+ seems to be treated like an iPad in many respects.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I noticed on the iPad that in landscape mode you can scroll the posts left and right with the rubber banding. This doesn't happen in portrait mode so I'm curious if it's supposed to happen.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Honestly it's a lot more fitting now then back in the iOS 6 days. No reason to change it imo.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Nope, it's always there, always watching. Not an impediment in any way of course, but definitely a bug since my regular avatar shows up on desktop.

Fake edit: even in preview! It's kinda funny I suppose :)

I'm curious if you see a change after logging out and in again. Apparently that chucks a lot of cached data, maybe including your wrong avatar.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hey, I'm interested in helping out with development, is there anything in particular you'd like me to do? I'm pretty new to iOS outside of little tutorials though, so my turnaround will probably be longer than most right now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Couple things:

1. I agree with the others that there's a little too much negative space/separation going on here. That might be more appropriate for a list of blog posts, but forum posts are related to each other much more closely, so it makes sense for them to appear closer. I don't agree that the current user interface is heavy, it does a good job of presenting the information in a readable fashion without consuming too much space.

2. I also don't think that cropping the avatars into circles is that great of an idea when they aren't cropped into circles on the forums themselves. There's no way to know how best to fit each image into a circle programmatically so the results will probably be less than stellar on some avatars (suppose I had one with a line of text extending across the bottom of the image; it would be cut off.)

also awful blue isn't that bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

That's about as far as I'd go to redesign it. The thread view layout is not really where the app needs attention at this point.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

xzzy posted:

I know tiny screens are dinosaurs, but this has really been getting on my nerves more and more.

Any adjustments on the table to give a bigger look at the text box?

Swipe down on the suggestion bar to collapse it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

baram. posted:

agreed. or even just have it parse a YouTube and embed it.

I'll take a stab at this unless one of the more experienced contributors wants it done faster.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Keyboards can't actually insert images, they can only put them on the clipboard. Then you tap the text field and tap Paste.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Did you allow Full Access? I think you need to in order for it to access the clipboard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm on android, and for some reason I can see words directly through the black spoiler highlighting. The show spoiler setting on the app is set to off. Any ideas?

This thread is for the iOS app, you'll want to ask here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm just gonna test something here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jP--MxYzTuo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Similar to the above, here's something for the list: an option to disable embedded youtube videos and/or convert them to links. I tried to test a change using the PYF 30sec videos thread, but all the embeds brought the app to its knees and often crashed it even on an iPhone 6.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Well that's just it, my desktop can handle it, but the phone is significantly less powerful. It might be nice to be able to make that distinction, doubly so on cellular data.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Okay design question time: I'm looking into adding back the share sheet to the long press menu, and right now I just have it working on links.

1. Do we want to keep both the Copy URL and Share URL items, even though the UIActivityViewController has a Copy button? I'm leaning towards yes because people might not realize it's there and think the feature went away, and also because the sheet takes a half second to load.

2. For images that are also links, would it be worth it to add a second share menu item for the Image URL? Right now there is no popover menu on just images (it goes right into the image view,) but I'm not sure what someone would expect when they hit share on an image that's also a link.

Other comments?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mo0 posted:

I don't know. I think it's pretty self evident when you long press on a link that the Facebook button is going to share it to Facebook. Having an intermediate step before the share sheet seems like overkill.

The share sheet was taken out in an earlier version. There is another menu that pops up first, with other options. I'm trying to figure out when to offer the share sheet as a menu item in that menu.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maybe I wasn't clear: the share sheet will result from a button which is placed on the current long press link menu, the one that shows the URL. Some people have asked for it back to easier send links to Messages etc. It will not replace anything.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Reading is fundamental. :eng101:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SA's certificates expired, I think. Problems should go away once they fix that, but I don't know of away around it in Awful unfortunately.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

jivjov posted:

Shake to undo removing a bookmark still immediately crashes the app on my 6+

Edit: to clarify, shaking brings up the dialog box, pressing Undo crashes the app and does not restore the bookmark.

If this isn't fixed already I can look into it tonight.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Oh whoops, forgot about this. I'll look into doing both, it shouldn't be too difficult.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Have you tried compiling Awful in Xcode 7? I get a few errors about missing initializers (among other things) and I'm not sure if they're bugs in the analyzer or issues we need to fix.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Try leaving and reentering Awful? I think it's supposed to detect a forums URL on your clipboard when you switch into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

How should they differ?

• Locked thread