Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

Does long-press on links suffice? (Doesn't work for links that are also images, but that's on The List as I understand it.)

Speaking of long presses and of images...

Since upgrading to iOS 8, long pressing a link pops up the sharing sheet, which unfortunately no longer shows the destination URL.

On a non-link image, a long press will still open the image viewing sheet, but its share button only lets me copy the image data itself, not the URL of the image.

I haven't read through this whole thread or the entirety of the project.log version, so I might've missed it, but are these two issues on The List™?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Setup: while reading a thread in Portrait orientation, either start scrolling and hit New Reply, or hit one of the Quote Post buttons and then start scrolling the thread so it's still scrolling when the reply sheet comes up. Now hit Cancel.

Expected behavior: the reply gets canceled/hidden and everything goes back to reading the thread like normal, same as if you weren't scrolling when the reply sheet came up.

Actual behavior: The gray box behind the keyboard sticks around, obscuring the bottom ~40% of the view, including the bottom bar that contains the widgets for display settings, page controls, and thread info. If you hit New Reply (no scrolling this time) again it'll bring you back to your reply and the keyboard will reappear, but the gray box keeps staying behind if you Cancel again. The box also remains if you go back to the Bookmarks screen.

Workarounds: flipping to landscape and back mostly gets rid of the issue. Likewise mostly fixed if the view is scrolling again when you reopen the reply sheet. I say "mostly" because the gray box doesn't get glued back to the keyboard, but it does slide off the bottom of the screen about half a second after the keyboard does.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Setup: open a user's Rap Sheet (and scroll down if necessary) to show the loading whirlispinner icon.

Expectation Maximization: more infractions would be loaded and displayed.

Full Life Consequences: Awful app crashes almost immediately.

This has happened on several distinct users when I checked them after I got the first crash! I'm using the updated app (v3.2), which in numerous respects seems much improved, e.g.: swiping back from a thread to Bookmarks no longer makes the bottom bar of the thread translucent (incredibly minor graphical thing that I was still gonna complain about but now don't have to); and you can copy embedded image URLs from the image viewer sheet again!

Actual minor complaint: it's hard to read the labels on that Sharing sub-sheet from the image viewer sheet, since the Sharing sub-sheet doesn't have any background, and the labels are in non-outlined black text.

E:

Mo0 posted:

Night phone? Is that like night cheese?

Apple Cabin!

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 7, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

tap the username, then "just their posts"

Oh yeah about that -- once you're reading a single user's posts, I haven't been able to find a way to go from one of those posts back to that post in the full thread context (like what the "¿" button does on the regular web version of the forums). And if you try to copy a URL directly to a post, e.g. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510131&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post442577963 that should link to the post on page 174 that I'm quoting above, it actually copies the page number (5 in this case) of the single-user's-post subthread without any "&userid=12345" stuff, so very probably the link will not take you to the correct post.

EDIT: well I'll be gosh darned, turns out that link works just fine as long as you're clicking it from the page that the target post is already on. But if you paste it into Safari (or if your link is otherwise from further back, possibly due to a sick pagesnipe), it will take you to the page number in the URL query, not to the correct post specified in the anchor fragment.

EDIT2: here's a link to my previous post (which was the second to last post on page 173), copied from my single-user subthread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510131&perpage=40#post442418400

EDIT3: well I'll be double-darned. Looks like the app does some cleverness and my EDIT2 link still takes me to page 173 within Awful app. Is this because it recognizes the post identifier "post442418400" as belonging to page 173 of this thread (which I have recently visited and thus is presumably cached)? Because clicking that URL in Safari does take me to page 1. And this clearly should-be-nonfunctional URL http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?#post442418400 yields "Specified thread was not found in the live forums." in Safari, as expected, but behaves the same as the previous link in Awful app.

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 11, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I got a URL stuck in the title bar of my Bookmarks + my bookmarked threads. I clicked on an image URL (not embedded) but immediately swiped back to the thread before it loaded, then returned to the browser; don't remember if I swiped for it or tapped the link again. Shortly afterwards I noticed the URL had fixed itself as a permanent subtitle to all my other bookmarks.

It disappears on the other tabs (i.e. Forums, Leper Colony, and Settings), and does not show up if I open a thread from the Forums tab, even it's one of my bookmarked threads. Comes back when I return to the Bookmarks tab. It also continues sticking around if I reopen the browser, where it hovers a few pixels below the actual URL subtitle in the browser. This occurs even on the image that I originally accidentally used to glue my URL ghost to the interface, haunting the real URL with a little doppelgänger shadow :spooky:

Force-quitting the app has exorcised the spirit, as expected

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 16, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If you have the image viewer sheet open and you tap to hide the "Done" and Share buttons, tapping in the top left and bottom right corners (where the buttons where) does not re-show those buttons.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I don't like the super-spaced-out mockup (even though it is prettier) because I prefer to scroll less.

Re: next page vs last page: could have a triangle at the bottom corner (like a page-turn symbol) to indicate "next page" and keep "end of thread" otherwise? I do also like the circle for dragging, but I'd suggest having some distinct shape for end-of-thread in that case. Perhaps filled circle for next page, empty rectangle for last page?

Maybe I'll try to do some mockups myself when I'm back on my comp (no promises).

Bug reports!
• In Awful Browser portrait mode, tap-and-hold on a URL. This used to pop up a "copy URL, open in safari, something else" menu that had the URL itself as the menu title, but now the URL just un-highlights and nothing happens. ...unless you switch to landscape mode! But it vanishes again if you go back to portrait. :ghost:

• While composing a reply in portrait, switch to landscape. The reply sheet disappears. :ghost::ghost:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

More shenanigans! All on iOS 8.2 and on the latest App Store update to Awful (3.2; sorry I haven't specified in my previous posts).

If you long-press on a link to show the sharing menu and keep touching the screen after it comes up, you can then drag that finger to scroll the backgrounded+tinted thread around.

If you open someone's profile in portrait, the giant blurred-out avatar background (behind the actual avatar) only extends about 1/3 down the area it's supposed to fill, with the remainder as a formless gray void. Seems to happen on most profiles (e.g. Dewgy, JivJov, and mine on this page), but not all -- Pokeyman's background seems to only have this issue while it's (re)loading the avatar, and fixes itself a couple seconds after opening the profile. Might be in the weird state only until it finishes rendering the larger + blurred version? Also seems to happen much more frequently and/or persist longer when viewing the profiles in portrait orientation.

If you open someone's profile dialog* in landscape orientation, it disappears if you switch to portrait. You can then scroll around and even open someone else's profile sheet in portrait orientation; if you switch back to landscape, the portrait profile sheet will be closed but the initial landscape profile dialog* returns :ghost:!! The portrait profile sheet stays closed when you return to portrait though.

*I'm calling the landscape profile popup a "dialog" to distinguish it from the portrait profile sheet thing, since they behave qualitatively differently here. Not sure of the actual behind-the-scenes terminology in Cocoa Touch or in the Awful codebase.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

StuL87 posted:

Just noticed that the share sheet has gone AWOL in 3.3 when you press and hold on a link. You now just get three options to open link, copy link, and something else I've forgotten. I don't remember reading that this was planned so I figured it's one for the list!

(Disclaimer: it might have disappeared in an earlier version and I might just be slow/unobservant)

Keep the share sheet gone (unless you can make it display the link's URL), please and thank you!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hey you know how when you open an image in the viewer, then tap the Share button, sometimes the Share sheet's background is invisible so it's impossible to read the button labels?

Go to settings and turn off the "Hide sidebar in landscape" option. Now behold as the image viewer's share sheet labels get their background!!

e: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, current App Store version of Awful.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

In the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread, attempting to preview the link URL of this post (by a long press on the included link):

Curvature of Earth posted:

Even if the World Science Fiction Society gets spammed with HPMOR votes it might be disqualified on the grounds that it has neither been copyrighted nor published anywhere within the eligible date range. If they want to rules-lawyer, then its last few chapters might still be eligible.

...causes Awful to immediately crash to the home screen. The offending link url is:

"http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-faq/#If something is copyrighted in one year and published in another, when is it eligible?"

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, current App Store version of Awful.

e: looks like the crash happens in my above quote too, here's a test link/URL that also includes raw space characters for fun, quoted in the url tag: come crash me bro

e2: that test link/URL also crashes on a long press for me!

e3: Awful v3.3? And the crash is still present in v3.4, since that just dropped for me!

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 5, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Abjad Soup posted:

In the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread, attempting to preview the link URL of this post (by a long press on the included link):

...causes Awful to immediately crash to the home screen. The offending link url is:

"http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-faq/#If something is copyrighted in one year and published in another, when is it eligible?"

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, current App Store version of Awful.

e: looks like the crash happens in my above quote too, here's a test link/URL that also includes raw space characters for fun, quoted in the url tag: come crash me bro

e2: that test link/URL also crashes on a long press for me!

e3: Awful v3.3? And the crash is still present in v3.4, since that just dropped for me!

I edited that post to mention that the crash is also present in Awful v3.4; when I finished and posted the edit, I got taken to the next page (189) instead of staying on the page with the post I'd just edited (188).

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

I can't reproduce the share-button-from-browser crash in the simulator, hmm. I'll try on device in a bit.

pokeyman posted:

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention in here, I fixed it last night. Should be on master branch. Issue was the "Open in Safari" activity looking in the wrong bundle for its image.

3.4 is currently In Review so I figure we can pop out a quick 3.5 with that fix and a couple others.

I have a share-button-not-from-browser crash! Click the ellipsis at bottom right of a post, hit "Share URL" button, and insta-crash to home screen for me. This happens on my posts as well as other people's posts, and in both portrait and landscape orientation.

Additionally: in landscape mode, click on a post's bottom-right ellipsis. I don't see any good way to dismiss the sheet that pops up. Rotating back to portrait partially worked the first time (thread still had a slight overlay from the info sheet in portrait, but tapping somewhere removed the overlay), but not the second time (could not dismiss the sheet in landscape, could not remove the overlay in portrait; couldn't interact with the thread regardless). Didn't try the other buttons from landscape.

(Also the landscape sheet is weirdly enormous.)

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, Awful 3.4
Both these issues are new to 3.4 I believe.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

webmeister posted:

I'm having a weird issue where when I long tap to full-screen an image, then zoom in and back out, the Done button disappears and I have to force quit Awful to get back to the thread view.

Running the latest Awful version on a 6+, only slightly unusual thing is that I'm running iOS 8.1

Get good

By which I mean, I've definitely seen that before too. Rotating to Landscape orientation may make the image viewer sheet disappear; otherwise, try swiping down to dismiss when the image is zoomed either all the way out or almost all the way out.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Diabolik900 posted:

Tweetbot and Unread are the two I use regularly. They are the legit share sheet. They seem to have positioned another view above the sheet somehow.

Yeah I will be demanding a refund if a link's long-press menu, official Share Sheet or not, stops showing its URL <:mad:>

(Also it'd be nice if the long-press menu regained the "open" button it used to have, to immediately open the URL in the Awful Browser without having to close the menu and then re-click on the possibly-small link itself)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Selection and copy/pasting seem to work differently now on iOS 9(.0, 6+, Awful v3.6 from App Store).

Selections seem to resolutely stay as the two-anchor linewise selections, never changing to the four-anchor box/paragraph selection mode.

Sometimes the "Copy / Select All / Define / Share..." popover never appears after selecting some text.

And if you select a whole post and copy it, it will (sometimes?) copy the footer of that post as well as the header of the following one. Example copied from two posts up:

quote:

Thanks, wasn't aware that was the same issue.
9/23/15, 01:34
•••
101author; platinum
Joined Oct 14, 2012

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Soricidus posted:

That one seems to be a deliberate OS-wide change. Bloody annoying it is too. God only knows why they'd remove such s useful feature. (conflict with the two-finger select thing that they then decided to make iPad-only?)

Wait you could select a whole paragraph at a time with a two-finger tap in iOS 8 and I never knew about it? And now it's gone?? :smithfrog:

I have another bug! If you open an image in Awful app and then use Handoff to your comp, the Handoff'd page is not the image, and not even the thread you opened the image from, but rather the forum you're currently in on the Forums tab (or the most recent forum you've been in, if that tab is on the full forums list). Perplexing!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Looks like the line-wrapping constraints/assumptions can be mildly violated by the font change in iOS 9 (or at least I assume that's the cause). For example, take the following quote:

Joementum posted:

Here's a good image to post on your Facebook to spark a calm, reasonable discussion.

If you have embedded images defaulting to links, the URL of the image will stray beyond the right border of the screen before wrapping. This makes it so the thread can get scrolled horizontally by a small amount, both left and right, which itself disables the "swipe from left edge" gesture from returning you to your bookmarks or to the parent forum. (This also occurs in my post preview, so I can't swipe back to the text entry here until/unless I tap the URL to load the image.)

iOS 9.0.1, 6+, App Store version of Awful

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

More info on oddities when selecting text:

• Open an external site in the app (e.g. http://www.example.com), open the Share sheet, then close the Share sheet and the Safari view. Now the next time you select text, the "Copy / Define / Select All / Share..." popover menu will not appear, even if you drag the selection bounds around a bit more or scroll the view. The menu will tease an appearance when you dismiss the selection but (as far as I can tell) is not interactive for the brief flash while it's visible. The popover menu will appear properly, and can be interacted with, for any further selection you make. This problem also occurs (more reliably?) if you reload a thread or open a thread with new posts.

• Tap + hold on a word to select it. Then tap + hold on a different word that is at least a few lines away from your initial selection. This produces four distinct issues:
1: the magnifying loupe that pops up is the wide rectangular version that is supposed to occur only when dragging selection boundaries, rather than the large circular initial-selection magnifying loupe;
2: the loupe is vertically located to magnify the same line as the previous selection, although its horizontal position is correct (moving your finger even slightly causes the loupe to correct itself);
3: the word you're pressing on doesn't show the tentative selection, nor does the old selection disappear, until you release; and
4: if you release your press as soon as the new selection is triggered, the selection and/or the loupe appears by quickly shifting to the proper location from the previous selection's location, rather than simply appearing the proper location without any movement.

Issue #1 looks like it might be the intended new iOS 9 behavior for non-input text fields since Safari (the full-on app) also shows it. Similarly for issue #2 and #4 although they definitely seem like bugs. Issue #3 appears to be unique to Awful.app.

Issue #2 will actually move the current view to ensure that the old selection is visible, if you had scrolled the old one offscreen before starting a new selection, probably disrupting or ruining that selection attempt.

6+, iOS 9.0.2, Awful v3.7 (App Store version).

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 7, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

carry on then posted:

That's the spirit!

We’ve made design and localization updates to improve the Awful experience around the globe.

** Awful saves time by connecting you to the forums as quickly as possible. If you like the service, please consider using those extra few minutes to review our app. **

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Long dash for "end of thread"
Ellipsis for "next page"

(Or an end-of-proof tombstone!)

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 13, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I didn't notice the "pp" till just now but I hate it and far preferred the old page icon, please fix to specifically my satisfaction, tia

:ducksiren: Also a weird bug report: :ducksiren:
If you encounter an unread post containing an embedded YouTube video (use "Mark Read" on a previous post if necessary), long-press the video's title and hit "Open in Safari". When you return to Awful app, all interactive elements within the thread become non-interactive -- I'm guessing they're occluded by the invisible remnants of the long-press menu. You can scroll around and select text, but you can't open anyone's profile, quote/"mark as read" any posts, follow any links or load any embedded images, etc.

While in this glitched state, the app's UI surrounding the thread view works except for a few things:
  • the auto-hiding "Load Previous Posts" button only pretends to work by graying out on tap but doesn't actually do anything.
  • you can show and hide the mini-options popup as normal, but none of its contents do anything (app colors work only for the UI but the thread is unaffected).
  • oh also try opening any of the bottom-of-screen popups, then use the App Switcher to open another app that has an keyboard active (e.g. Safari or Notes both work). The popup will be halfway up the screen when you return to Awful using the App Switcher, and then will slide back down into place as (presumably) either the app or the system notices that the keyboard is no longer actually present.

The inactive thread elements issue persists if you return to your Bookmarks view (probably Forums view too but I haven't checked) and then swipe back into the glitches thread. It is fixed if you tap any thread, including tapping the same previously-glitched thread.

Example embedded YouTube to test on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdMMgekSzY

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If you have embedded image autoloading set "off", the new "freeze animated gifs till you click them" overlay never appears even after tapping the image URL to load it, and animated gifs stay frozen forever. :❄️:

Looks like you can fix it by enabling autoloading of gifs and then reloading the thread.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Teddybear posted:

Clicking back on some bookmarked threads or swiping back to the bookmark list doesn't work sometimes.

Yeah, reading a thread with multiple pages will cause the back button to grey out and require a force close and relaunch.

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Aside from the aforementioned problems with links (which now seem to have stopped working for me at completely random times on my iPhone 5S as of the last update) and the fact that occasionally I have to force-close the app when the back button decides to stop working, I'd like to add that every now and then I lose the ability to expand an image. This usually occurs at about the same time as the problems with the back button and the inability to click links. I love the app though. The open In YouTube is super convenient.

+1 on this and I first saw it only after upgrading to latest App Store version (3.9) on iOS v9.2 on 6+, and it disables image previewing for me too (which was the first sign things were effed, this last time). It's only happened to me a few times so far though and I haven't come close to reproducing it reliably.

Also the link-clicking issues -- I can mostly click on a link if I've scrolled back enough that the "Parent Forum | Previous Posts | Scroll to Bottom" button bar is fully visible; if that bar isn't fully visible, tapping a link will instead scroll the thread back by a couple pixels or something.

Feature request(s)!! If you've got an image fully loaded on the page and then want to copy its URL, you press to preview/open the image in the viewer. When I thusly view animated gifs, nearly always the image has to be re-downloaded. Furthermore the share button (to copy the URL, e.g., as mentioned above) does not show up until the image is fully (re-)downloaded! So it'd be nice if the image viewer sheet always showed a fully-loaded image without re-downloading, and it'd also be nice if the Share button were always visible/active in the image viewer sheet even if the image hasn't finished downloading yet!

Thanks in+from the future*,
Me

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

The swiping-out-of-the-built-in-browser issue, you mean?

Maybe it's specific to devices with an "S" suffix.

I've got a 6+ (with no "S" suffix ) and I get the same issue.

👻

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Thwomp posted:

Bug report: after hitting "Scroll to the End", I'm having a weird time getting the pull up to refresh to work.

Manually swiping to scroll down does not have the same problem.

I've seen this on previous Awful/iOS versions as well! Don't remember if I've reported or seen others report it yet.

quote:

Also, that above webm didn't automatically change into something playable. Was that not the case from the change notes?
[fe:fb] I think that patch note meant that clicking a webm link will open it in the VLC app (which can play webm, assuming you have it installed). And it looks like it's working for me! :D

Bug re-report: despite the new Awful app, swiping quickly to close a web view still causes the thread view to become mostly unresponsive :smithcloud: although there's an interesting new twist! Even though most links do nothing but scroll the threadview down by a couple pixels, clicking on a webm link will still open it in VLC! :yayclod:

(Latest Awful released on App Store last night or this morning = v3.10, still on iOS 9.2 though)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Byzantine failure, OP

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

PleasureKevin posted:

personally I think all links should just open in safari proper since iOS now has the "back to Awful" feature so embedding Safari is useless IMO

Do not do this devs, I hate that opening a URL from e.g. Messages opens a new tab in Safari and I have to close it before I can properly resume my Important Txting Conversations™ and I wish that Messages also had the pop-in Safari sheet :smithcloud:

Also I would enjoy having the "Open" option back in the popup menu when you press-and-hold on a link in Awful!

Thanks,

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

Like the button that just opens it in Embedded Safari? It comes back if you change your "Default Browser" in Settings. I figured it was redundant to include the short-press action in the long-press menu. But if you say it makes sense, I can add it to the list.

Anachronist posted:

Having that button will be nice while the 'links sometimes don't work on short-press" issue still persists. After that less so but I could still see a bit of a case for it.

Yeah this, also when someone links a bunch of short words, it was handy when the popup menu let you both preview which link you've pressed on and also let you flawlessly, every time, WITHOUT FAIL open that selfsame link in Embedded Safari.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Bug report: in other apps (e.g. Messages) the URL protocol "awfulhttps" isn't detected as an Awful app link the way "awfulhttp" is.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Wooooo ^^^

Hey also are Vimeo video tags supposed to do anything but appear as a big blank space in a post?

e.g. this recent post from the Making Games Megathread:

Hammer Bro. posted:

Here's the culmination of my selective interpretation from all that platformer feedback:

https://vimeo.com/160794701

Selective acceleration prevents wall climbing while maintaining an adequately natural feel. Unless you want to get really technical with selective sprinting, which I demonstrate is possible but also difficult.

Took me an entire day to figure out why Slide Kicking wouldn't transition into Falling when I did it off the vertical block; it just continued at a fast and funny diagonal.

Fixed that bug then immediately re-implemented the behavior but deliberately :smuggo:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

anthonypants posted:

Oops, I thought this was the technical thread and not the iOS thread. Here's a couple screenshots, but it's still probably due to the vimeo embed using flash.

Yeah this is what I see as well. I'd fully believe that Vimeo is flash-default for embedded and that's the source of the empty space I've been seeing, though I know they have at least some kind of HTML5 that I've seen on the desktop.

How and/or why do you see that "//vimeo/someid" link, carry on then?
(Note: I've got App Store version of Awful which looks like v3.11, and iOS 9.3 on an iPhone 6+)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Oh drat, yes please @ that

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Nice @ awfulhttps protocol being registered to Awful app, already used it this morning :c00lbert:

Tweet embedding (tweembedding) is neat but I have some complaints about it already!!! :c00lbutt:
  • You can't select the text in the tweet -- it'll highlight a word if you tap-and-hold but that will also bring up the "Copy URL / Cancel" buttons, and dismissing the buttons clears the highlight. And you can't drag a highlight anchor into the tweet if you started the selection outside the embedded tweet (mb due to safari iframe javascript ajax dom swift cloud rpc tunneling ppp telnet baud unittests html5 saas xss nodejs on rails, or more probably all of the preceding???). Dragging past the tweet can work but it won't copy the tweet itself, just the surrounding text.
  • If you tap on the embedded tweet, it replaces the entire page of the thread instead of opening in the browser sheet, which does let you see replies or whatevz but less useful if you want to keep reading the thread after the tweet. As far as I can tell, you can't get back to the current page of posts without reloading the page.
  • The tweet is bright white even on the dark Awful theme and I am worried it'll look even more out of place in the amber forum. Aesthetics Is My Watchword™

Okay thanks for listening!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Oh another #DarkModeProblems: some animated emoticons don't properly erase certain frames of the animation in dark mode, e.g.

:roflolmao:

:yikes:

:angel: (the extended wings never fully retract)

:zaeed:

This is not an exhaustive list, but I think all of the problematic examples I've seen share a white background that Awful app converts to dark background in dark mode, and possibly the "stuck" pixels are from a portion of the gif that remains identical over the course of multiple consecutive frames before changing.

Not sure how the dark mode emoticons were/are made so maybe it's just a problem with the initial conversion process, if those gifs are included in the app. But I'm guessing it's some kind of automated process since the zaeed one has black text stays black and illegible in night mode, even when the background is transparentized.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

None of those you cited above have a white background though?

Hah I was using the image viewer sheet and I guess it renders a white rectangle behind animated gifs or something, ignore that part then

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

Jotted these down, thanks!

Add another to the initial tweembedding bugs pile: long-pressing a tweet and then choosing the "Copy URL" button seems to do nothing but place "https://forums.somethingawful.com" into your clipboard, regardless of the tweet, which I don't think is the correct behavior. Same result when long-pressing on a link within the embedded tweet.

Also +1 to re-adding the simple "Open" choice to the popup menu when you long-press on a link in a thread. Everyone who has previously made this suggestion is undoubtedly strong and physically attractive!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Make "pull for next page" be a setting, but make the toggle be located only below the bottom of each page so you have to swipe the thread up enough to reveal the toggle switch and then hold it there while you use another finger to toggle the toggle. This becomes easier when the toggle is off because then releasing prematurely will not load the next page (thus turning this toggle off qualifies as an advanced Awful app technique™.)

toggle

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Abjad Soup posted:

Oh another #DarkModeProblems: some animated emoticons don't properly erase certain frames of the animation in dark mode, e.g.

:roflolmao:

:yikes:

:angel: (the extended wings never fully retract)

:zaeed:

This is not an exhaustive list, but I think all of the problematic examples I've seen share a white background that Awful app converts to dark background in dark mode, and possibly the "stuck" pixels are from a portion of the gif that remains identical over the course of multiple consecutive frames before changing.

Not sure how the dark mode emoticons were/are made so maybe it's just a problem with the initial conversion process, if those gifs are included in the app. But I'm guessing it's some kind of automated process since the zaeed one has black text stays black and illegible in night mode, even when the background is transparentized.

Just FYI the part to ignore in this post is my uninformed "problematic gifs have a white background?? and static portion of image before that spot goes transparent???" speculation -- I don't know what's causing it but the gifs are still problematic with stuck frames in Dark Mode. Another example is :psyboom: (psyboom) where in Dark Mode the head remains unexploded through the entire animation.

Note that the gifs are animated properly in the Image Viewer sheet! But they are animated stuck-ishly when seen directly in a Dark Mode thread.

😇:angel: Thx and G*d bless y'all brave App Warriors :angel:😇

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

My Awful app seems convinced that page 29 of the current USPOL thread is the final page of the thread, insofar as pull-for-next-page isn't working and it's only doing pull-to-refresh on page 29. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774247&perpage=40&pagenumber=29
Note there's like 35 pages right now, which I'm pretty sure means there's a page 30!

This has persisted even after I tried several things:
• opening the thread anew by tapping on it from my bookmarks (after marking as read a post so it would load page 29); still refreshes on a page 29 pull
• returning to page 28 then pulling successfully for page 29; page 29 still pulls to refresh
• and force-quitting Awful and trying from what I figured would be a fresh state; yep pull to refresh page 29.

Currently playing: 📲⁉️
Mood: 💸🔙

(Hey neat, some emoji have italics forms.)

• Locked thread