Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yes but it wouldn't break the forum width which was his problem wasn't it? Timg isn't great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Probably something to do with the type of link it is.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I was just thinking (this is super nitpicky) that it's a bit strange that when you got to a thread you've viewed all the posts in you still see

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Fair enough, it seems like the best choice of wording in that case.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

myron cope posted:

I don't think it's an option, but you can send it to safari from the in app browser.

Eugh, that really annoys me for some reason because whenever I return to a thread it's still open.

I'd love it as a toggle if that's possible pokeyman :-)

Unless you've drastically improved it that is...

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

You can also long-tap links to open them in Safari, completely bypassing the in-app browser.

That's fine for me then

Is the redesign going to require an update? Going to go crazy without Awful.app access.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

They could always visit the thread in a normal web browser to see whats up. :ssh:

Yes, but if people think it's only happening to them there's no reason they'd think to do that. Surely?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Deep Winter posted:

is there an update coming to the android version? posting from my browser.

Here's a link to the android app thread. There's no affiliation between the two apps.

Edit: (At least I don't think there is)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

Persistent sidebar is back in 1.10, coming in the near future.

1.10?! Thought we were on 1.9.1 now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

Yes, 1.9.1 is the latest released version, 1.9.2 is the version submitted the other day, and 1.10 is the next major version which is in development/testing now.

1.1 and 1.10 are not the same thing in version numbering.

Oh. I was confused because I remember there bring talk of a 2.0 release that was code cleanup.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I guess you broke it then

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nwin posted:

Zuh? I have the :getin: frog for an icon.

That's the old one. That's completely broken now. You're missing out on quite a few new features. Here's the new one.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nwin posted:

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks!

None of the Awful apps on the App Store are currently working thanks to the redesign, but the update should be approved any day now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bowmore posted:

The app works for me now except for one detail, when I press my bookmarks tab the whole app crashes and throws me to the main screen of my iPhone.

I think if you disable thread tags that problem doesn't happen

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

jivjov posted:

There needs to be a way to push "fixes bug that renders app near-useless" updates ahead in the queue of "add 15 levels to angry birds" updates.

There is but I think pokeyman's request for an expedited review process was denied.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

Go update your poo poo! 1.9.2 is out.

gently caress YES

I hope it works, I'll grab it now

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What?!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Fair enough. I'm going to sleep now anyway. I look forward to waking to Awful.app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Not the biggest issue in the world but coloured thread unread counts aren't showing. Is that just because of how fast the update went out or is it not supported anymore?

Thanks for the speedy update regardless.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Haha, I think someone may have the wrong thread.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I replaced it with a bunch of menu items (alongside the Cut, Copy, Paste menu).

In regards to this; When uploading an image I have to press the right arrow twice when I want to upload from library. Not sure if it's just me but it's rather annoying because I always seem to forget and think it's crashed.

pokeyman posted:

Turns out that's not a true replacement, so I'll be putting the buttons back.

Woo! Are you planning on doing the cool bar above the keyboard thing I remember someone (maybe you) mentioning? Chrome and Drafts do it really well.

Drafts pictured

Also the menu items would still quite useful for image uploading (despite the aforementioned bug)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Binary Badger posted:

This may have been brought up before, but how about variable font sizes? Or even a S/M/L switch? Would be great for Minis..

I *do* appreciate the dark theme, as it saves untold minutes of power.

It's on the list

e;fb

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've noticed recently (due to the rest of the app looking so nice) that the Gold thread rating looks very blurry when everything else on the page looks nice and sharp. Here's an example
Obviously that's very zoomed in but it's still blurrier that the rest of the text/images when looking at it normally.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

No, I take it back. It is retina.

Maybe I'm just imagining it but when compared to the other rating tags it just looks blurrier to me :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

Maybe its the image text vs. rendered text where you're seeing a little difference?

Perhaps, either way it's nothing too important. I've only just noticed it and I've been using the app since I joined.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I get what you're saying. It would be preferable to have that behaviour rather than the 'two small posts... reload'. Not sure how hard it'd be to implement or if it's possible at all though.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I actually kind of like this one.

Do things like that work with rotation lock on?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

Yup, they're totally separate.

Good to know

pokeyman posted:

We already support one (by default, I didn't do anything): shake an iPhone while writing a post and you'll get an "Undo Typing" option.

Ah, I thought that was a universal thing. I didn't realise you had to opt-in.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

It is universal, that was the "I didn't do anything" part. I'm not even sure how you opt out of that.

Oh, missed the default part. I'm not sure you can unless you use your own keyboards like those lovely "guess the logo" apps

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Ok, odd bug I've been experiencing all night on the current App Store release.
Once I've read a post in a thread that thread disappears from my bookmarks, if I then go and read another thread the previous one reappears, then the new one disappears. It's very odd.

Here's some screenshots

(I didn't scroll/refresh/remove any bookmarks)

Edit: 6.0.2, non jailbroken

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I'm seeing the same thing, I'll take a look. I'm gonna leave the submitted version alone and fix this for 1.10.1 I figure.

Good to know I'm not an outlier. Has the new version been sent off to Apple then?

Has it by any chance fixed the image uploaded needing two taps to get to library? That's pretty much my only qualm right now besides new forum bugs.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

The most recent test release is what I sent to the App Store. I think I fixed the two tap thing, give it a try!

I'm not a beta tester. Any chance any of you chaps could test that for me and see if it's fixed? :)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

It is now!

I have a kind of Awful unrelated question if you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

Say you requested an expedited review of the fixed 1.10.1, what would happen if that got approved before the original 1.10 update went through the system? I don't know why I wonder about these things...

Edit:

Serifina posted:

I have discovered an interesting bug - both iPad and iPhone, I I have a thread in my bookmarks with a large number of unread posts (several hundred) and I read the thread directly above it, when I return to the bookmarks, the large-unread thread and the one I just read will switch places... And if I keep reading the next thread up, eventually that unread thread will end up at the very top of the list. If I refresh the bookmarks, it will return to where it's supposed to be, however.

Edit: iOS 5.1.1, latest app store release of the app.

Look a few posts above you for pete's sake

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The in-app browser title seems odd and off centre.

On the plus side no more double tapping for the image upload :)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

It should never change from blue in the app, either. Orange bookmarks were a bad decision.

I wouldn't mind keeping it blue either

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Are mods avatars not visible for anyone else? Here's Ozma for example and I know for a fact (and her profile) she has one.

Also the app crashed once when I tried to post this. Probably due to the two images.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

Good catch. Other mods and admins' avatars seem to be showing up fine. I think it's because Ozma's avatar has a link around it. I didn't even realize you could do this. Is it a mod/admin only thing?

Thanks, I have no idea if it's only a mod/admin thing. It doesn't show Shine's either. Not sure if he also has a link around it. Can't check at the moment.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any chance of adding bookmark thread to the forum view drop down menu?

Sometimes I browse the forums when I have a spare minute and think "that might be interesting" but I have to load the thread, bookmark it, refresh my bookmarks and then mark it as unread. Just seems like there could be an easier way. There might be a reason for it but I thought I'd just throw my nitpick out there. :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Pressing the title of an embedded YouTube video (which I expected would open it in the browser) opens the page within the thread and makes the thread inaccessible which is odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's me… again :cheeky:

Are there any plans to add read it later support in the future? It'd be handy when long pressing links or hitting the 'share' button in the in-app browser. Here's an example of Tweetbot's menu which I think does it pretty well.

Just a thought, great for some of the more link-centric threads.

• Locked thread