Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Looking through my subscribed list, I noticed these:

GHOSTS shows us as fyad-ghosts in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506319

gently caress shows up as terrordome in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489860

SOUTH shows up as lan-south in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032580

NEW shows up as bss-new in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441118

(I might be a version or two behind, now that I think of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So glad to have the app back, using Safari was a pain in the rear end.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have kind of a subjective issue with the way posts are formatted on the iPad. If the text is longer than the height of the posters avatar, it wraps back to the far left margin as opposed to staying aligned to the right side of the avatar all the way down. This could just be me, but it makes it messy to view and read.

Is anyone with me on that one? I know its an incredibly minor issue, and I've never noticed it before because I've just started using Awful on the iPad, since the latest version is so good.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ursine Asylum posted:

I've been having issues with this, but only infrequently, and when it happens it's not limited to Awful. I'm using a mini, and I've been hearing rumours occasional poo poo wifi connections for no apparent reason.

Seconding this, my mini does this all the time.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

xzzy posted:

Yes, text selection is super painful, but it's iOS' fault and not Awful's.

The long tap really needs a "select paragraph" option because dragging those two little blue dots around is really sketchy, especially if you have to do any scrolling.

Tapping with two fingers will select an entire paragraph of text. I was pretty blown away by that when I first learned it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
A suggestion: an option to trigger a warning if you hit the cancel button while writing a post. I've accidentally fat fingered it several times and have been forced to rewrite the whole post several times.

This app rules and I love y'all for making it and keeping it updated. :allears:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Darn, thanks anyway.

Way off topic but I've also been looking for an app to do this forever.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does anyone else think the Reply icon and the two icons on the bottom right should be switched? Am I just weird? I keep hitting the button to adjust font size when I'm trying to reply.

I guess I'm just tossing it out there as a suggestion, and to see if anyone agrees with me. I love all the new bits of the app. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Text to speech via Siri works fine for me in Awful.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

pokeyman posted:

I'll play around with it. Anyone else finding the same thing?

Happens to me on my 4S as well. It's like I need to press the left side of the button or something. iOS7.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Seeing the same thing on my 5s, 7.0.2.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

pokeyman posted:

Not really, though I empathize. What I think is happening is the connection gets lost after requesting a page of posts but before they finish downloading. As soon as SA gets that request for a page it updates the "last read" marker.

How frequently do you get that connection lost error? Do you see similar network weirdness in any other apps? Does it happen on wifi?

This happens to me quite a bit as well, but never on wifi, just while on cellular. I'll click the thread, see that it won't load instantly, wait 30 seconds, then head back to the bookmarks and click again, which loads instantly. I'll go days without seeing it, then it'll pop up multiple times in an hour.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I really like the new app! My only complaints are with the night theme. The purple text when you're quoted is difficult to read, and the different sections of the app are difficult to differentiate. Maybe take a cue from Tweetbot's night mode?

Also, text turns black after posting an image:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I think the "force a stickied bookmark to this thread" is a terrible idea, but you have plenty of room on the nav page to add a link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Not sure if this has been reported yet, but if you load a thread and there's only one unread post on the page, pulling up to go to the next page is hard/impossible. Obviously you can use the > button to go to it, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

• Locked thread