Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He says he already submitted a new version so I'm guessing he's already found a way around it.

edit: guess I was wrong, haha.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use it in a similar way for reading my bookmarked threads, but for general browsing, there really needs to be a way to hide the sidebar.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is there a way to make the app save its state in a thread? Whenever I multitask and the app is pushed out of ram, I thought proper iOS behavior was to still take a snapshot and reload it when you switch back to it, but for me the app just reloads like it hasn't been opened before.

I know I'm on an old device (iPhone 4) but I have lost my place in threads twice today just literally quickly hopping out to the maps app (which obviously must be pretty memory intensive), checking something, then switching back to Awful. It dumps me back at my bookmarks list every time.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
One thing I don't like on the iPad is how the text flows around the user info box. It can work in posts with a lot of paragraph-length text, but there are a lot of times when replies are just a few individual sentences long, or there are images, or lists, etc. where it just looks kind of weird and sloppy.

I'm not sure what the solution would be. It certainly doesn't make sense to emulate the forums native style and have the poster's information box continue all the way down the length of their post, since that would be a lot of wasted space. But I think any significant departure from the way the forums display text (that is, with it all justified on one side and not wrapping around a box) is kind of a bad idea. I guess maybe that's why having the user's info stripped out and put in the area above the post with the older UI was better--that way the post itself can take up the entire width of the screen.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah I have no idea why the OP even bothers to link to MAXX. It was just a stopgap version, it's not like there's some need to be "diplomatic" and post both versions or something.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's not in the latest released version, the discussion here is with people testing a new beta. Unless I'm mistaken!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
For some reason now all Youtube videos launch externally for me. Before, they'd just open in the "Awful Browser" view which was definitely way more convenient than hopping to an external app. At first, it was taking me to the Youtube app, which I didn't even know I had installed, so I uninstalled it, but then it would still swap over to Safari. All other links still open within the app. Is this a setting somewhere? I couldn't find it, and it only started happening after the latest update.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sure, it's happening with all links to youtube, in a lot of different forums. I first noticed it last night in YOSPOS when reading this post on my iPad. This morning the same thing definitely happened when checking the videos from this post on my iPhone.

Both are running the latest firmware (6.1.whatever), not jailbroken or anything weird like that. The only thing I can think of is that in the forums settings I have the "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?" option set to "No," however the one from the Howard Stern thread appears to be a link and not an embed, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've had that happen in other apps once in a while too, for no rhyme or reason. Force closing the app and restarting it fixed it for me, though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm almost certainly retarded, but it took me a godawful amount of time to figure out how to close the sidebar thing in portrait on the iPad. It still seems somewhat disjointed as well since it seems to reflow the entire page or whatever when shifting from having the sidebar hidden to fitting the thread in that tiny 1/3 column.

It also just seems like a lot of settings disappeared. Like, I found how to change the theme in YOSPOS threads, but the main thread listing for YOSPOS was still green with that terrible font on the iPad.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Even at a hair smaller that Join Date text just seems to take up space for no reason. The forums themselves relegate the date to an insignificant amount of text but putting it right front and center and adding "Joined" in front of it just makes it seem obtrusive for me, even a few days later.

If you really feel like there needs to be something in that space, I think somehow custom title text (obviously stripped of giant size or whatever) would be way more useful for identifying posters than reg dates.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
No idea if that has something to do with how the app handles things, but I've had that happen on the forums as well so it may not be an app-specific quirk.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
When I use Awful on my ancient iPad 2 (running latest iOS though), the app seems aggressive about "marking read," even if I'm just returning from a link I visited in the in-app browser. Sometimes this will let me keep my place, but just stutter/lag as it communicates with the server and updates stuff I guess, or sometimes it dumps me at the top of whatever page I'm on, which is even more annoying. It also seems to reset themes, I thought the YOSPOS themes resetting themselves to greenpos was fixed in the latest version or whatever but I still get it all the time.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Man who is so clumsy that he accidentally deletes bookmarked threads all the time is genuinely baffled by a standard part of the iOS interface, story at 11.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I still have YOSPOS stylesheets resetting to green all the time, too. Thought it was just a bug that hasn't been fixed yet. I'm on an ancient iPad 2, definitely mentioned it before in this thread. It may happen on my phone too, but honestly I can't remember off the top of my head since I do a lot less YOSPOS browsing on my phone.

I use the dark theme everywhere, and I never had an instance of it "resetting" to the normal light theme. It's only YOSPOS resetting to green. Not a huge deal but yeah it would be nice to not have to switch it back every so often.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

pokeyman posted:

I will take the hit and switch to non-greenpos for awhile, see if I can reproduce this. How often does it seem to "stick" until it needs resetting?

As to the dark theme working properly, that doesn't surprise me given the implementation of themes.

I tried to be more aware of when it was happening over the past day, and I'm pretty sure it's when the app is pushed out of RAM. Not entirely sure, but it definitely happened twice yesterday, and both times was after I had used some other apps or browsed a bit in Safari. The other times when I stayed within the app or didn't use any other apps in between Awful sessions, it seemed to hang on to the correct theme.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The app's not working for me, I'm assuming it is because the forums are making GBS threads themselves with lots of database errors. It would be cool if the app handled the errors a little better than just displaying a blank thread with no error message.

edit: this was posted before it was super obvious that the forums were down :)

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 16, 2014

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

serebralassazin posted:

Ran into an issue today. The awful keyboard doesn't seem to work properly in the Google Hangouts app. It copies the smilie but when I hit the text box to paste it there is no option to paste. Seems to work fine elsewhere so perhaps this is a Hangouts issue?

I don't use Hangouts but this happens when an app doesn't support pasting images. Which is why some of these "send pictures from your keyboard" custom keyboards also include an option to save it to the camera roll, because presumably most messaging apps also allow you to send images from the camera roll.

It's a pretty inelegant solution to a limitation in the API, but then again, so is the whole business of pasting an image anyway.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I also have the "video sound sometimes keeps playing after going back to the thread" bug, it's not only Youtube because I had it happen on a Kickstarter video as well. iPad Mini 2 with the latest updates.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Doesn't it take basically the exact same amount of time (minus the time spent rendering the raw data) that it would take you to just load the next page in a browser? It's not like the forums natively support preloading the next page and if anything to me just continued scrolling in the app seems a lot quicker than clicking "next page" when I'm using a desktop.

It sounds like it would create possible unnecessary work on the servers, since there's no way to know whether the user intends to load the next page or not. "Not creating any extra workload for the servers" has been one of the mantras of the app's development, if I'm not mistaken. Plus it seems like it could screw up last-read markers, etc. Why make it more complicated when right now it literally works the same way the forums themselves work?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I encountered a bug today. If you choose to view only one user's post in a thread, the little "Page Selection Dial" (slider? rolling thingy?) will still have the number of pages in the thread, not just how many pages the user has posted. For example, I'm on a 400-page thread, and I select to view only one poster's posts, he has three pages worth of posts. The little counter will say 1/3 at the bottom but if I tap on it I can select pages 1-400. Not sure if it's fixed in the newer betas, but I'm on the latest official release. Not a big deal but just thought I'd mention it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm no UI expert but it was confusing to me to have the same icon for both the button to close the in-app browser and the button to stop the page loading, obviously on a page that took a while to load fully.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Along the same lines, I notice that occasionally people still have the soccer ball icon in the app, even though in a browser they no longer have it. How long will the soccer ball persist???

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Well, it just so happens I have an example on hand! Any of "track day bro!"'s posts have a soccer ball for me, but only on the iPad. I just pulled up the same post on my iPhone and it shows up without the soccer ball.

Try this post for example: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706039&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=71#post443483967

Also, lol, the iPad app crashed when I tapped the icon to get a link to that post. Both copies of the app are updated to the latest app store release.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
If the holdup continues to be the smilies keyboard, is it really worth it? It kind of scares me that there are that many people who are so invested in SA that they actually use the smilies outside of the forums and need access to them at all times on their phone, and I'd much rather just have an app that has regular bug-fixing updates than waiting while you try to identify and remove random smilies that apple deems offensive.

Of course maybe I'm wrong and the latest rejections have been non-keyboard related. It just seems like such an unimportant feature, while I'd like to be able to load the second page of a forum reliably.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Still getting soccer ball icons next to posters on the iPad in this latest update.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm that guy, and I just tested it out all for you pokeyman.

Logging out and back in didn't fix it. But being the proactive QA guy that I am, I went ahead and uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, and voila, no more soccer balls.

So I'm guessing the log out to clear the cache thing wasn't quite clearing everything. Anyway, remedied. Sorry for making you dig around for something that was apparently just a glitch on my iPad.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Why not just put "pages" instead of "pp"? There seems to be lots of space between that and the "Killed by" part.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Like, it's a compliment to the app overall that we're down to complaining about such minutiae, but seriously, chalk me up as another who dislikes the "pp." thing. Icon was better. The word "pages" is also better.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's definitely the blue dot from text selection, it happens from time to time and I believe pokeyman is aware of it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The 4S can be upgraded to the current version of iOS, why are you stuck on 7.1 if you're not jailbroken or whatever?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The problem is that after he clicks the tweet, it opens that webview and there's no way to go back to the thread he came from. If it had opened in the app in the first place, it wouldn't be an issue because it'd just be a matter of switching back to Awful, but by the time that webview opens it doesn't matter anymore.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

david_a posted:

The app downloaded on my phone! It's a Festivus miracle!

Was there an issue with the Apple servers? Is there anything special about Awful that would have caused this problem? I don't get why Awful is the only app I have where this happens.

I was able to download the Awful update just fine but had some other random app update unable to download on both my iPad and my iPhone until I told it to retry five or six times, so I'm gonna wager it's an Apple glitch.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Housh posted:

Only in the app I got this blue dot on the left side of my screen. What is it? You can see it by log out but it's always there throughout the app. iPhone 7 Plus

It's a bug that's been persistent in the app for a long time, it's actually one of the little blue text-selector buttons that you can use for copy/paste/etc.

What actually makes it appear is beyond me but yeah it's definitely a known bug.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I seriously just turned it on two days ago after seeing it in your mock-up of the other color scheme and wondering if it was in the current app. Sometimes it takes a moment to switch back and forth, but other than that, no problems yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been getting that too. I've done decidedly less to try and troubleshoot the issue, but it usually is when I'm on my mini 2.

• Locked thread