Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Oh right. That's just 1.8, uploaded for the third time. That version should be the one in the App Store right now.

I'm pretty sure the one in the AppStore now is the 2nd 1.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I'ma smack myself if I did that.

Well the AppStore version has the older, less contrast colors in the forums tab and isn't sideloading thread tags from git, so wouldn't that be #2 ?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I believe what pokeyman is going to eventually do is list "Posted by:" when you have not read any posts in the thread and then "Killed by:" if it's a thread you've partially read.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

You can tap at the end of the thread where it says "tap to refresh". But if that is only on the beta version (a decent chance it is) you can use the "page x of y" option at the end of a thread and just tap "jump to page" to refresh.

That tap to refresh text will be in 1.8.1 which is awaiting Apple's approval.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm going to lighten it a little, darken the dark theme bg, forums list is going back to 100% cells. Lots of tweaks going to be going down. With all the thread tags out of the way design duties aren't being split up so much so there's now more time to refine things, get rid of inconsistencies.

Curious though. You find the grey between posts jarring, did you find the big blue poster info bar jarring?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

I want to throw in my absolute praise of this app. I do most of my computing via my iPhone and the forums are spectacular and easy to read.

I just got an iPad mini and I really enjoy the iPad version. I've noticed a few quirks on the mini which I am sure is a result of the smaller screen size.

The "page forward" "page back" buttons and "next page" at the bottom of a thread are fairly hard to hit. I had to buy no-ads just so i could hit the next page button. I don't know if you can introduce an iPad mini version of the app (or have a mini mode) that has bigger buttons so I was thinking you could add in a swipe left/right to go forward and back similar to how iBooks and the kindle app do it. I know that swipe left opens the bookmarks/forum list so maybe you could have it as an option.

Thanks again for making an amazing app!

In the future versions you will be able to pull up to go to the next page / refresh. Pull down to go to the previous thread could work or could cause a lot of mis-fires, I think it would have to be tested.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well firstly, seems like a lot of what you posted were bugs which is a good thing. You've joined the Awful iPhone app at a transitional time so things are a little shaky at the moment but the app is headed in a great direction.

Another thing that sucks is pokeyman can't just link to a new app like the android folk get to do with .apk files. It's taking 2-3 weeks to get an app update pushed through the app store. That really sucks when a small bug gets left in by accident and we're all just waiting around for apple. That's a situation we're currently in where the wrong version of the app was put up by accident and pokeman pushed the right one but we're waiting for the apple approval all over again.

sirbeefalot posted:

- One of the most immediate things that strikes me is the visual options. There's a "Dark" theme, which is good, but its only in thread view. Back out of a thread and everything's light again. This is jarring for night time reading. The themes should apply a consistent look to the entire app if possible. Options for full color customization would be awesome, but I get that that is probably a bigger undertaking. - fake edit: as I type this, I see The Dave address theme work being tweaked.

This has been one big thing I've been bothered with for awhile, and I don't even use the dark theme. I think it's not as easy as it can be because of the way the thread lists is called, but it's really not my place to say because I don't know what I'm talking about. It's definitely on the to-do list, I hope it could get in the next version if not, then definitely for 2.0. I'll do what I can on my end but we have to make sure not to kill pokeyman.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

Thanks Dave. I think that would definitely work. As for the "pull down" I don't know if you want to do that since pull down is refresh in the rest of iOS but I know I have tried to pull down before to get to previous posts/. I'm assuming that's what you meant instead of previous thread.

Sometimes I can see wanting to go back/forward many times in a row and the buttons on the bottom might be ok for those specific instances.

You're right with that correction and I share the same skepticism about making that gesture for previous page.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You should be able to swipe the bookmark cell to reveal the red remove button.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

nerve posted:

Where did the refresh button when in a thread go? Is that no longer possible?

It will be in the version submitted and currently under approval. It was supposed to be in but the wrong version of the app was submitted and now we're in the never-ending vortex of the Apple approval process.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think I had a title disappear once. I'm trying to remember how it happened. It might have been I replied to a thread I opened from another thread. The title came back though. I've never had permanently lost thread titles.

Bummey posted:

While I'm here, I'd also like to see the thread listings show the last person who posted rather than the person who created the thread. Why was that changed?

Just to mess with you.

No I think it was changed because we asked some people what they found more useful, but if there's one thing to learn with this thread it's that Awful users are very very divided on preferences.

Anyway pokeyman is changing it to list the OP if it's an unread thread, list last poster if it's a thread you've read before.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bummey posted:

Every thread, all the time.

Does it persist if you delete the app and redownload+install?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

While I agree and was thinking of moving to adding an icon to shorten some stuff, pull to refresh is in the next version so it makes it a moot point.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

goethe gear xx posted:

While I have no ideas for the end of thread text, I do have a related request: would it be possible to add a post-tap visual cue to the bottom text to show that the next page is being loaded? Right now there's only the little indicator in the top bar next to the connection symbols. It'd add to the feeling of responsiveness, I think.

Pull up to refresh is going to be the future implementation so you won't have to worry about a hitbox for tapping to the next page. Alternatively, for now, you can always use the next page button in the thread nav bar at the bottom.

A loading page feedback is also happening, we're going over the best approach for that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I know it's something I'd like to see. That's just so low priority wise however.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I didn't think that sub menu was in an of the released yet, I don't have an iPad (yet, suppposed to be getting the mini as a gift), so I can't comment on that.

I don't think it shows up on 1.8.1 on the phone at all, but when it does, it will function exactly like facebook's sub menu where it sticks to the top but you can scroll past it. Makes jumping to the bottom nice and easy and provides a link to the thread's parent forum which in previous versions of the app was never directly accessible from the thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What do you think about a single button up top middle (talking phone mostly, iPad can fit this stuff anywhere), that you tapped and held and then hovered over to select the code? Think of it as the foreign characters on the keyboard when you tap and hold 'a' for example.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's allllll black. There is no way to get 1.9 from the appstore currently.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually forgot that I have archives.

Would there really be hoops to go through to just add them to the end of the forums list?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that same behavior happens with the pull up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What about adding "Add to Multiquote" to the post action menu, then when you hit reply it would load up with all your quotes filled into the textarea?

If you wanted to really go insane you could slide up a really thing toolbar or something that would load some sort of icon representing your multi quote queue that would allow you to remove them or clear all incase you change your mind. for spacing reasons even go webOS style and fling the little icon off of the bar to remove it from your multiquote queue.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well it was made a little longer because when it was first implemented it was getting triggered too easily. I'd say give yourself a day or two to see if you get the muscle memory for it before jumping to change it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ummm scroll down a little to hide the menu? What device are you talking about?

Between iPhone 4, 5, iPad, and iPad mini it's a little tricky nailing placement/sizing on first try. Like I don't think a single tester has an iPad mini, thankfully I'll have one in like 2 weeks and I can see if this is a good experience or not on it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

What is the current thinking on an in-app browser? It seems unnecessary to switch to safari when you're just clicking a linked image and back when you're done. I like that forum links open internally now (they didn't before, right?) but there doesn't seem to be a reason for imgur links to go to safari.

I believe the plan is to bring it back, it's just on pokeyman's gigantic to-do list.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't think they would have removed it, try searching for "Awful Maxx" maybe.

Also I think auto-hiding the sidebar will end up being a toggle in a very near future release. Maybe a 1.9.2, I'm not sure what pokeyman's said about it but it seems to be often requested.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You must be a filthy left-handed person.

For now pulling up takes you to the next page also if you're going that way and want to avoid the arrows.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yep I get same error.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As in this? ( in iOS 6 )

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's both beautiful and terrifying.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 28, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: whoops

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Correct.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Because everyone thinks it would be better if you, specifically, weren't able to make lovely posts.

Kidding, but I don't know the reason, but I can make a good guess. When the app first came out it was iPhone only, and I would bet OHIO decided he didn't want to spend time doing it, with the thinking that new thread is worth posting from the phone. Again, just my theory, but I think it holds true. I can't imagine a new post that needs to be made via your phone.

However, we now have iPads, and I think posting a new thread there makes more sense, and is now a little more feasible with all of the thread icons. However, I think polls need to get integrated as well to make posting a new thread feature complete.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well what were the problems? The way it rendered things?

A solid in app browser > another settings toggle.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fix is awaiting approval.

Edit: can that just be added to the topic?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

I am actually really surprised that with the redesign, they didn't put any effort into making a native mobile version. I mean, it seems like the thing to do these days.

Well the "redesign" was really just CSS/Image changes, nothing substantial, so it's not that surprising. Sort of putting lipstick on a pig... not the greatest shade of lipstick either.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Smol posted:

It's no wonder, really. Awful 1.5 with the permanent bookmarks sidebar was definitely the best way to browse the forums for me.

Persistent sidebar is back in 1.10, coming in the near future.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about apparently.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 2, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

qbert posted:

1.9.1 is still broken. I guess you're referring to 1.9.2?

I wasn't, I thought the old breadcrumbs were back. I see them on some pages but not all... I have no clue.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

1.9.1 is in the Appstore
1.9.2 is awaiting approval, but might have been broken today so STRAP IN FOLKS!
1.10 is in testing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah looks like they added filtering by clicking an thread tag back into the web forums, and they used a different method that breaks loading forums in the app.

Hold onto your butts everyone.

• Locked thread