Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mastigophoran posted:

fake edit - OK so I copied the URL to what it's trying to open out and looked at it. It had it as: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691807&perpage=40&pagenumber=1465 - page 1465 instead of page 367 presumably this is being caused because I have 10 posts per page user setting, so, that's probably why that link doesn't work. I guess I'll go change my user setting and click that link and try and work out what's going on.

That's odd that something turned my page number (367) into your page number (1465) but didn't change the perpage value.

While I was looking into that, it does look like the parser for SA URLs ignores the perpage value, which seems like it would cause a different bug if someone has a non-standard perpage value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tapping on the probated / banned avatar should show their leper colony entry.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Versus tapping and then picking "rap sheet"?

Yes! One less step.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Also I guess we should probably add embedded tweets now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Even in the short time this has been active, I'm definitely noticing people not quoting the actual tweets anymore, which is annoying.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So the whole "clicking on links doesn't work" bug. Do we know which version introduced that? Maybe something could just be backed out to fix it?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I never did get a crash on the old one. Guess I was just lucky.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I look forward to the future of a Twitter html change breaking the app out of the blue.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone ever suggested a quick search bar on the bookmarks page? That page is pretty much how I read the forums and scanning the whole list to find a particular thread is slightly more work than my lazy rear end would like.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, you can even play embedded video in an embedded tweet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hmm, apparently Apple pulled all the third party Reddit clients from the App Store.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I mentioned it here because I thought it might impact Awful but it looks to be related to NSFW content and I guess we don't have that much of that compare to Reddit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This may be relevant at some point: https://twittercommunity.com/t/upcoming-change-to-embedded-tweet-display-on-web/66215

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Non https images will not display, right?

Or does the app use WKWebView to display the posts? That seems to have an exception to the policy.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 16, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would it be possible to set the last read post only when I exit the thread, and only to the last post I have seen? I think current behavior matches the website, where last read is set to the end of the current page as soon as you open the thread. The app has the ability to be smarter I would think.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

It would require a call to the server for every post you scrolled through, since that's where "last read" is kept. I'm not sure what the semantics would be of having it in two places.

I'm thinking last read only needs to be persisted when you leave the thread. So just one extra server call.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just resting your finger anywhere on that embedded tweet crashes the app immediately. Fun!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My guess is that it's usually people reading mega threads with a twitter or movie embed every other post that have the problems.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The text about logging out clearing the cache seems a bit redundant now that there is a button to do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are you reading threads with Twitter embeds?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When the forums were down the other day, the error handling of the app wasn't awesome. Really, non existent: it just loaded empty forums and bookmark screens. Was it giving a 200 Success return code or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it just that the page really doesn't exist? Like it says there are 42 pages but posts were deleted that make it 41 now. Does the web site also show the wrong page numbers?

• Locked thread