Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do I remember seeing before about some way to upload a custom CSS to the app? I'm not as keen on the all white background on the bookmarks tab and I'd like to maybe add a Notification Centre type texture to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think an option of both would be best, maybe on long-press on the link. If someone is linking to a video or an article I'd much rather have it in Safari so that I can go back to the forums and check it out at a later date.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there any way to upload an image from within the app and not have it be square?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
About how long does approval take? There's another app I'm looking forward to an update for which has apparently been pending approval for a long time now.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Would it be possible to have the most commonly used tags (bold, spoiler, etc.) available as complete buttons of their own? Maybe swipe-able, as in you swipe up (or left) on the button to create an opening tag and swipe down (or right) to close it?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Post history would be amazing, although I won't need it until next SA Secret Santa.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

Well what were the problems? The way it rendered things?

A solid in app browser > another settings toggle.
Personally, if it was a link to something I wanted to spend some time looking at, I usually would want it in Safari so I could come back to it later after checking a few more forums threads first.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is anyone else getting this weird glitch?

I'm on the current version, using iPhone 4S.

The app now only loads 1 page of a thread, regardless of which thread it is. If I'm reading it for the first time, it loads only the first page and I can't go forward to any other pages.

If it's a thread I've bookmarked it loads only one page from whatever the last unread post is. In the corner, it even says 1 of 1 and there's no way to jump pages even if its a 100 page thread.

This just started happening recently, prior to a few days ago the app worked fine.
Open the thread in Safari, there's an update for the app awaiting approval that fixes this. The glitch has prevented people from seeing that other people have also posted about it! Apparently it's come about from the recent forums update.

edit: The fact that you only browse from your phone is why didn't notice! :) Over the Christmas break I did almost all my browsing on my iPad so I was confused too until I gave the regular forums page a go on my PC.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In fairness, if you can tell that the problem is that the app isn't displaying all the posts, it's probably worth checking the page in a browser to see what posts the app didn't show.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TACD posted:

Here's an idea to prevent a similar future flood of identical bug reports: Could you add a special case for this thread in the app, so that it looks for a particular string in the first post (like the warning you have enclosed in :siren: smilies) and pops up an alert / announces it in some way when you open this thread? Then there's absolutely no way anybody could fail to know if you're already aware of some app-breaking bug.
It wouldn't even need to parse this thread for it, as long as there's a simple text file uploaded somewhere that it can check for a warning if one exists.
e.g. if the text file says:
code:
Then no announcements come up. But if it says anything other than 0, e.g.:
code:
WE'RE ALL loving DOOMED!
Then it'll appear as a popup, or at least a button will light up saying that there's an announcement.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Haha, I think someone may have the wrong thread.
Oh god loving damnit!!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I... I can see the heavens. Its name is Awful 3.0.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not a bug necessarily, but does anyone think the Forums/Bookmarks/etc menu bar is more "transparent" than before in iOS 9 Public Beta 2? Maybe it was always that way and I just didn't notice.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is that a new app icon? I definitely don't remember it looking like that!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

life is a joke posted:

Is the icon thing new since the last iOS update? I had no idea that was possible from inside an app.

love having the :v: icon lol
I remember suggesting a :v: app icon several years ago and I’m super stoked that we finally have one. Best update ever.

Never knew about icon options, I’d love if more apps could make use of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Keith Atherton posted:

What's this app icon thing you're discussing?
In the latest update (on iPad, I'm not seeing it on iPhone yet) you can select from several app icons. The one you select is the one you see on your home screen. It's apparently been around from iOS 10.3 (see a few posts up) but somehow it's not the hot gimmick that all the app developers jumped on.

I wonder if some games could use it as like a "prestige" thing, like how some console games unlock a special title screen when you finish the game, the app could auto-change the app icon when you've hit a certain goal.

• Locked thread