Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Rime posted:

That was indeed...an ending. If this doesn't have a second season or Madoka-style film followup it will be a terrible cockblock.
Wait, were the Madoka movies actually sequels and I just missed that? I thought they were just movie versions of the series.

On topic, I finished today (I started ~6 weeks late, and that's when I finished, no binging for me these days.) I'm late to the party for every show! (Well, from last season anyway.)

I liked the series but if you view it as a complete work (Meaning no sequels) then I think it took a turn for the worse after Makishima went from the main antagonist to.. still the main antagonist I guess, but the Sybil System Brain Collective or whatever cast a shadow over his actions. I think I enjoyed it better when it seemed like Makishima was one step ahead of everybody, including the Sybil System. The revelation that Sybil was just a bunch of crazy people and that Makishimi actually wasn't all that unique or special was Bad, but they made up for it by setting him apart when he escaped and surprised that chief robot thing by beating them to a pulp. That was good.

..But then at the end you have this secondary antagonist that's getting uppity and is trying to supersede and subsume a much more interesting villain. And then on top of that it just sort of sits out the conflict and uses the main character by proxy!

It made a satisfactory conclusion impossible for me because by that point the series only had enough time left to deal with Makishima and I was in full on "Woo destroy the dystopia!!" mode. :unsmigghh:
I fall into that pretty easily though and will readily acknowledge that as a failing on my part, so I don't hold it against the show. Nonetheless my personal opinion of the show would increase greatly with the addition of a second season that ends with Akane pulling out a golf club in the brain room. :v:

And Kagari's total disappearance from the show was weird. You can't merely suggest to me that he died, no matter how strongly, or I'll suspect UFO involvement.

and from way back in the thread:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If she's the only one, doesn't that make it characterization and more appropriate than if every female character in the show were portrayed that way?

Honestly, I like the scene. It reinforces what an awkward newcomer Akane is, compared to the comfortably settled CID staff. The staredown with the woman coming out of the office is great. And since when was "cheerfully confident and definitely adult lesbian" otaku pandering?

Wait, that was obvious from that early in the show? :smith: This was supposed to be self-evident and wasn't information from some supplemental materials? It's been so long I don't even remember the scene or episode in question.

For me that scene at the end with the doctor (For I do not recall her name-) and Yayoi came out of left field. I mean, I kind of suspected Yayoi might be a lesbian based on her one-off background episode, but the only thing I thought about the doctor's character was that she never got that much development/her own background episode.
That reminds me, that musician that Yayoi was apparently in love with never showed up again, did she? Another loose end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Sindai posted:

Yes, it was really obvious, sounds like you just forgot about it. She comes out of the room adjusting her clothes while the doctor was on the couch pulling on her stockings or something. Then the doctor comments on how cute Akane is and later on how passionate Yayoi can be in a pretty wink wink nudge nudge way.

Though after that it didn't really come up again until Yayoi's backstory episode and the last episode.
The hell is going on with my brain :psyduck:

poo poo, I didn't even remember that when Yayoi's background episode came up, and I can't even say with confidence that I remember it now. If I had I wouldn't have been on the fence over whether she was actually a lesbian or just had a Romantic Two Girl Friendship. Remembering that one scene would have negated the existence of the question.

Man, what happened? Was I trying to read the Japanese that occasionally scrolls at the bottom of the screen at the time??

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Kamui's body and brain being a patchwork of pieces from other bodies feels like a contrived way to deal with the idea of judging Sybil as a collective consciousness - which on its own isn't a bad concept but it's just not possible to do without some major contrivance, and in that regard I supposed this story was a best case scenario. But at the end of the day it feels unnecessary, almost detrimental to the ideas of the first season.

I was unclear about some of that.

So at the end it at first it looked like all of the brains were being disintegrated to form some even-more-collective entity, but apparently it was just some of the brains being taken out of the aquarium for being bad fish? Do I have it right? But doesn't getting rid of individual brains go against the whole collective judgment thing? :confused:

• Locked thread