Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

While it's annoying that none of the police seem to be willing to even consider that Sybil might be wrong, I suppose it makes sense in a society where Sybil's judgement is an absolute, and Akane being the only one to really (if quietly since she ultimately believes in the system) challenge that is neat.

Does anyone have a comparison of the OP in the latest episode and the previous too? There were a lot of distortion effects added to it and a couple of other differences and I'm curious if anyone's tried to put things together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Something I find weird though: for all the monitoring systems in place there seems to be zero communication between them and the centres of decision making. You'd think that since the Dominators are connected to Sybil Sybil would know what happened to the inspector since Kamui had the gun active pointed at her.

So either Sybil has some really weird internal protocol that prevents it from using its monitoring capabilities to find people who need finding, or the ability to use the monitoring capabilities are withheld from the police (at least in this case) and Sybil itself knows what's going on but isn't letting anyone in the know, not even its own investigators.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Doesn't Kamui go on and on about "freeing" people from Sybil? He doesn't really strike me as that much of a believer in the system or Sybil's judgement, he just circumvents them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Alder posted:

I could be just dense but what did the old man want to achieve again? Did he want to show how the Inspectors/Sybil were not infallible? Dominators are easily tricked? Violence solves everything? if you push people to their limits they become their true nature? Antidepressants are bad for society?

Basically he wanted to get people stressed because the way society under Sybil works the stress elimination (and the obsession with it to the point of being heavy on anti-stress/anti-depression medicine as a matter of course) kills their humanity, turns them into zombies. He keeps mentioning "eustress deficiency" - "eu-" as a prefix comes from Greek, meaning good - you know how we sometimes say "a little stress is good for you"? That notion is dead in Sybil's society, the concept is seen as an urban legend. So the only way to show those people how to be human again, how to be alive again is to make them experience stress.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

It's kind of sad, but it's also necessary because they need an obstructionist and bureaucratic character now that Gino's grown out of that role.

P-perhaps, this will be the turning point in Shimotsuki's arc and she'll finally come under Akane's wing and stop being awful?

I would like that but only if Akane flips her poo poo out at her for sitting on her rear end and doing nothing first, she looks to still be in deep enough denial that she needs to have someone point out to her how dumb she's been before she makes the breakthrough of affirming her suspicions that her methodology is a lovely dead-end.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Even if there's no plan to add Akane's to the brainplex, Sibyl probably sees Akane as an asset. If you are a system that is aware of its own nature and of the awfully strict dependencies the entire populace and police force has with you, then someone who is in the know and doesn't have to fear thinking outside the tiny box you've set up is incredibly useful, as a failsafe if nothing else. Probably would've been a different story if Akane didn't take the collaborationist route but since she's working with instead of against Sibyl that's just about the biggest win/win.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

And Togane knew exactly where to check for the wall. He essentially led Akane down there. He's gotta be either working with Kamui or playing some other sort of game on his own. I want to say the first is more likely but then the drones going berserk and forcing them out of the hideout doesn't seem like terribly good timing. On the other hand, it probably will mean that the police will have their hands too busy to worry about Akane...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Akane stopping Togane was stupid as poo poo. Yeah just let Kamui get away not like he hasn't had a track record of getting dozens of people killed on like a weekly basis so far.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I'm guessing they assumed Kamui to be a nickname instead of the guy's actual name. I know I did. But yeah the police in Psycho Pass has been largely incompetent all throughout the show so this doesn't exactly break my suspension of disbelief.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well this episode turned my opinion of Shimotsuki as a character completely around. She really is just a regular person so completely obedient and awed by Sibyl that she is legitimately terrified of learning what it actually is out of fear that she would lose her trust in it. Also going to speculate (going by Togane's remark about her keeping her Psycho-Pass low) that she's asymptomatic, and Sibyl will try assimilating her which will not work out the way Sibyl expects.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

As to the second point, there was a replacement or addition to the Sibyl system proposed by another government department which wanted it's own cut of the "control society" pie that Sibyl grants the Ministry of Welfare. Sybil and the Togane corporation, apparently two closely connected entities, acted to sabotage the trial run of this new system to preserve their own power.

I wouldn't say that it's necessarily something specifically between Sibyl and Togane Corp., but rather that Togane Corp. is part of a wider network of industrial/business giants that benefited from Sibyl in some way and wanted to bring down the Panopticon, and Togane Corp's just the side of things that we see.

Whichever the case, Sibyl's been clearly shown to operate some sort of patronage network and Togane is proof nepotism is alive and well even under the system, so this is the first time it's been made more or less explicit that Sibyl is not an impartial actor.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 28, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

So if Sybil knows exactly who Kamui is and what he's trying to do, why is it doing basically nothing to try to top him?

Sibyl's using Kamui as a study case, the system seems to care more about how Akane deals with the situation than the situation itself. It's content to let things take their course because it wants to study that course.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Alder posted:

Also, I thought Kamui "judged" the illegal immigrants as unworthy people to receive his care and punished them along w/the businessmen in the mansion.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with judgement and everything to do with them not being able or wanting to live anymore mate.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, things could end up being stupid, or they could end up working out fine. A lot of the ANN reviewer's opinions are based on certain assumptions that I don't agree with (such as whether Mika is asymptomatic or not). I also didn't have a problem with some things that apparently a lot of people did like Kamui being a Frankenstein's monster, or the fact that the police didn't look up his name (from moment one I assumed "Kamui" to be a codename so and the thought that it was his real name never crossed my head so I sympathised with the investigators). And I think the season has some real strong points, I feel it highlights how hosed up and stunted the thought process of the people who grew up under Sibyl is in ways I don't feel were quite as clear in the first season.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Relin posted:

So they flushed enough brains to lower the crime coefficient to normal (asymptomatic) but left Togane Sr.'s brain in the system? And what is the collective psycho pass sibyl referred to exactly

Togane Sr.'s brain was in the Chiefbot so it got fried when Kamui shot at it. The collective psycho pass is basically a judgement on society instead of on individuals, so that even if every member of the society could be deemed as lawful the society itself could be judged as ill/criminal. The implication being that Japanese society could very drat well receive a negative judgement, and I suppose that Nazi Germany would be a very good historical example of what we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Zogundar posted:

I was unclear about some of that.

So at the end it at first it looked like all of the brains were being disintegrated to form some even-more-collective entity, but apparently it was just some of the brains being taken out of the aquarium for being bad fish? Do I have it right? But doesn't getting rid of individual brains go against the whole collective judgment thing? :confused:

Those were the brains that were responsible for the rise of the Sibyl's collective psycho pass. Individually, their psycho pass was null - since Sibyl only accepts criminally asymptomatic people by definition. But Sibyl's collective psycho pass, once issued, was through the roof, so Sibyl wanted to correct that, and it calculated that the reason its collective psyscho pass was so high was the judgement input of those bunch of brains, so it corrected the collective psycho pass by removing the cause for it shooting as high as it did, ie the brains whose judgements made it increase.

e; v Whoops. In my defence I kinda doubt anyone reading this thread at this point hasn't actually watched the last episode.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 26, 2014

• Locked thread