Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Haha, holy poo poo, they are using live ammo on their first exercise! If they keep ramping it up like that it's going to be glorious!

I mean, I knew I was in for a treat when the instructor airdropped inside a tank and wrecked the principal's car, but I didn't know it would come so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ep03, everyone dies because tanks are not toys

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Serious Frolicking posted:

Exactly how is a fascist reeducation camp compatible with moe, anyway?

Nazis are the moest.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

DerLeo posted:

The die is cast? Cross the Rubicon? What is this, historical figures reincarnated in future Japan and dueling in tanks?

What were you expecting?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Specter posted:

Only watched the opening scene and spent the rest of the ep not really paying attention and listening to Sabaton. Works pretty well.

I think you're on to something here. Lemme try A Thing

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Peel posted:

What were you expecting?

More like just K-On! with tanks instead of K-On! with tanks where the moe is someone familiar.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Super carrier is the best twist of the season thus far, IMO.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was actually really happy to see them doing the thing where you kick the driver to get them to change directions; there was a lot of an almost nostalgic Ender's Game'ish humor to the whole thing. Remember during the first time in the Battle Room where everyone just sorta flailed their arms around in Zero-G until Alai and Ender figured everything out? So seeing a bunch of girls flail around inside their tanks I found to be amusing, but that's maybe my World of Tanks fanboyism speaking; I'm frankly surprised they got anywhere near as accurate as they did, isn't tank gunnery courses like three weeks?

Leaving aside the superhuman if not in fact physically impossible feat of getting a tank that was submerged for two years in perfect working condition in under twenty four hours. I'm gonna just speculate here that there's literally zero men on that super carrier and its basically a big giant prep school.

But yeah guesses is that they'll go the WoT route and dial down the realism maintenance wise in order to focus on barreltank crew shenanigans.

Not gonna lie, the second episode really strained my German :shobon:; assuming the proportions are correct man they have a lot of head room.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm gonna just speculate here that there's literally zero men on that super carrier and its basically a big giant prep school.
There are men.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was actually really happy to see them doing the thing where you kick the driver to get them to change directions;

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
StuG LYFE

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I must say, the Japanese have a very strange way with coming to terms with World War 2. I'm looking forward to the Bataan death march episode.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I like how the stug gave up despite only getting hit in the front by a pea shooter.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like how the Panzer IV didn't loving explode despite taking a direct hit to the rear.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Looks like this show is getting funnier.
The Tank decorating, the girls reaction on waking up. The drive through the city. The second carrier.

The deadpan way they are running with some of the settings craziness.

Definitely passed the watchability test.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

For those of you who enjoy the battles:
From what I know this is the correct way to use a Japanese made tank.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That's a Lee (Murican' made tank).

I also like how they animated the characters, they got quite a bit of movement going on.

I can buy the HE shell of a Panzer IV denting a stug, tank destroyers weren't really all that armored until late war.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

gently caress it. I like this show. It's not creepy even the bath scene in the third episode was done with a good bit of restraint. The character animation is good and the tank scenes are directed well and fun to watch. The characters themselves are still kind of stock personalities but there's room to grow. It's not even a k-on clone it's a sports anime with tanks.

This is not a bad show.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The M3 Lee's only significant action so far: getting tracked and exploding for no reason.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The M3 Lee's only significant action so far: getting tracked and exploding for no reason.

Sounds pretty realistic to me :haw:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Guyver posted:

gently caress it. I like this show. It's not creepy even the bath scene in the third episode was done with a good bit of restraint. The character animation is good and the tank scenes are directed well and fun to watch. The characters themselves are still kind of stock personalities but there's room to grow. It's not even a k-on clone it's a sports anime with tanks.

This is not a bad show.

It helps they had one of the funnier implementations of the 'refusal of the call' I've seen.

"Help us!" :shobon: "No!" :mad: "If you don't you'll have to repeat. :smug:" "gently caress..." :argh:

e: Just dunno, je ne c'est quoi but something about the new girl's mannerisms I like.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 24, 2012

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raenir Salazar posted:

But yeah guesses is that they'll go the WoT route and dial down the realism maintenance wise in order to focus on barreltank crew shenanigans.

Totally seeing an OVA where they compete against moe space lizard girls now.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It just occurred to me that I haven't shared my most dominant fancanon *fantasy* which explains a disturbing amount of the show:

Girls und Panzer is a sequel to Kyoukaisenjo no Horizon taking place 290 years later.

My friends writhe with dread every moment that brings this closer to being true.

EDIT: In unrelated news, my World of Tanks server is *coincidentally* (Girls und Panzer is in the cover image) having a 'tanks + anime' themed competition.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 25, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

lodoubt posted:

It just occurred to me that I haven't shared my most dominant fancanon *fantasy* which explains a disturbing amount of the show:

Girls und Panzer is a sequel to Kyoukaisenjo no Horizon taking place 290 years later.

My friends writhe with dread every moment that brings this closer to being true.

EDIT: In unrelated news, my World of Tanks server is *coincidentally* (Girls und Panzer is in the cover image) having a 'tanks + anime' themed competition.

You have a world of tanks server? How does that work out...? I thought there was the NA, Euro and Chinese servers only.

Although every once in a while I'm like "Hey guys did you know there's a world of tanks anime?" And everyone is like "what...."

The show has every excuse to be bad but it managed to not be bad, and I really want to see what's going to happen with those Churchills.

What interests me, long term is that lets presume this is more like your typical shonen fair and that the Heroes need to 'get stronger' to defeat more powerful foes. We already see the older sister might be foreshadowed as a rival and she's in a friggin' PzKpfw VI Ausf. E Tiger and her teammates are probably in something equally ridiculous, not to mention possible unstoppable badass machines like the IS-3M, T-62A or the Patton that could be out there. The Panzer IV was given a long barreled high velocity 7.5cm gun for a reason and tanks the Tiger was designed to fight are most definitely it.

So I'm curious is if they eventually upgrade their tanks; so the Lee->Firefly Sherman with the 17 pounder; Stug->Nashorn (Super 88mm); Panzer IV->....Panther? Newer Panzer IV? The Czech and Japanese tank's are slightly more difficult to find analogues for... The only half decent looking Japanese tanks never left the drawing board and likely inferior to anything the Russians or Germans had in 1945 in terms of raw performance. My guess is T-34-85 or T-44...

I think one of the best parts of the show is getting the what appear to be accurate interior shots, and accurate 'in combat use' scenes of the tanks in action. I actually didn't know how they spun the turret until now as I've never looked.

:gifttank: :spergin:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 26, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that was a good post. I hope it ends up something like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh and I was bored when dead in WoT so I decided to browse the WOT forums to see if there was any mention... And apparently the makers of the anime sponsor a in game clan. I wonder if there's any behind the scenes talks? Not likely but its nice to think about.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I play on the one official World of Tanks server you didn't mention, the South East Asia server. I used to be on NA but there was a huge drive to transfer Australian players from NA to SEA recently. We have a few Japanese on SEA as well for obvious reasons, though I suspect that their latency is only BARELY better than they would get for the NA server.

Anyway, I actually already knew stuff like the turret rotation mechanisms *from videos linked on the World of Tanks news feed* oh god we are never going to escape talking about WoT in this thread.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Amstrad posted:

StuG LYFE

I was thinking about passing on this anime until I saw this.

Even if I'm nowhere near the tank aficionado everyone here is, I'm still enjoying it and getting into the whole spirit of it. I know a couple of people who are avid tank fans, though, and they're probably going to fall in love with this series when I tell them about it.

I really wish these girls were the main characters, because I love every second they're onscreen. I'm pretty sure Rommel-Girl was always walking around in that getup, even before the school reinstated their Tank Club.

Also...

... I love being a polyglot! :neckbeard:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anyone who hates the faux-german subs should just :frogout:
This anime is amazing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't understand the Panzer vor joke though can someone explain it? That's my only issue is that when they do try to be clever with the faux german is flies over my head :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

... Is that headband wearing girl always doing that ;) thing?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't understand the Panzer vor joke though can someone explain it? That's my only issue is that when they do try to be clever with the faux german is flies over my head :(

Panzer means armor and vor means four.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Raenir Salazar posted:

One of the girls yells "Panzer vor!*" and, when another girl asks for an explanation, she is given a translation in Japanese, naturally. For the fun subtitles, the Japanese translation is translated into German instead of English.

*: Panzer vor

DrSunshine posted:

Sometimes she mixes things up by closing the other eye.

This isn't an example of that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah it's even in her character design sheet on the official site. She's a Sengoku nerd and the head band is a Sanada Yukimura reference so the eye might be a Date Masamune reference.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Dear god, don't read the world of tanks forum link. It's pretty bad.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nine of Eight posted:

Dear god, don't read the world of tanks forum link. It's pretty bad.

The "There's Girls driving my tanks WHYYYY!? :qq:" is pretty terrible.

Like look at all the advantages of real life female tankers, they probably have a drivers license meaning you don't have to get one yourself! :mil101:

Hey look someone gave us a smiley ^^

But yeah, re-echo'ing the sentiment I said earlier, there's good historical reasons for female tankers such as less space used and better ergonomics. (If you take up less room, you also probably don't bump your arms against protruding pointy bits)

I finally got the Panzer vor joke :sigh: as I hadn't caught them literally saying it in German the first time. :(

e: Oh, and another observation, the reason why you can tell Miho is probably a capable tank commander is because of how often she willingly sits outside the turret to get a better view of the overall battlefield despite its dangers. This is "Sign of a Good Tank Commander 101" essentially and was something generally encouraged of German tankers until a wider proliferation of snipers discouraged the trend and the development of larger cupola's.

Relatedly since we have WoT style tank on tank brawling it changes the dynamic considerably as to what makes a decent tank. In the second world war the Germans, French, the Japanese and British could all largely continue to produce and field relatively large numbers of "light" tanks, tankettes and cruiser/infantry support mediums because a tank did not need a gently caress off penetrating gun to deal with their primary role. Which was to get a breakthrough (such as past fortifications or trenches) and wreck poo poo behind the enemy lines to cause confusion.

So well rounded all rounders like the Panzer III series were probably some of the best early war tanks due to a good combination of armor, mobility, versatility, crew ergonomics and gunnery due to the ability to switch between wrecking a ground pounders day and being capable or dealing swift long range death to enemy tanks also likely to be unsuited for anti tank warfare. (Since other nations were relatively slower than the Germans at TD role tanks)

This is largely due to I believe IIRC infantry held anti tank rifles and similar were good enough that making a tank able to kill a tank probably seemed like an unnecessary complication.

However Our Heroes here are not fulfilling the breakthrough role or fighting infantry but are purely fighting over tanks. The emphasis will probably be on the ability to either kill at a distance if you cannot take hits up close, kill up close if you cannot kill at a distance; or the ability to quickly move and take advantage of terrain to do whichever your tank is best suited to. The Panzer III/IV remains decent because of its mobility and crew ergonomics, making it capable in the hands of a skilled crew and under a good commander capable of handling far larger threats (See the historical early Barbarossa examples of the Panzer III managing to eek out wins against the Kliment Voroshilov tanks).

But in general because the attacker needs to usually approach the defenders if you have a good tank destroyer then the advantage is distinctly yours because this is decades before fire control systems got implemented allowing for accurate "on the move" fire. Honestly the American TD's have a good advantage in this series due to their sheer mobility and firepower resembling the 'Picard Maneuver' in some respects.

Late war German tanks actually have the distinct disadvantage because of their limited effective niches, mainly defencive slow moving combat in the open or built up defencive positions (Nashorn, Ferdy, King Tiger, Jadg-XYZ). Though the Tiger and Panther are the exceptions that prove the rule; the late war and early post war Russian tanks make good candidates but their guns tended to lower armor penetration values than their German counter parts due to either concerns about keeping up production numbers (using proven already in production guns) or the need to have a good HE round for dealing with emplacements (for normal war anti infantry roles that are irrelevant in GuP).

So assuming the size of the girls is small enough I would rate the earlier pre-Hexagon turret model T-34 as the best tank to have and drat near overpowered for them. Followed by the up gunned Panzer III/IV (5cm), Sherman, followed by the SU-85 (slopped armor), Stug III, and then the Wolverine.

:mil101: Alrighty that's all the :spergin: I got for now until we see some more action.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 27, 2012

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I thought this show was going to make me angry over historical inaccuracies, but I am actually really enjoying it. That's not to say there aren't a lot of questionable things 7.5 cm KwK 40 failing to penetrate the rear of a early war Panzer IV but the show's strengths seem to outweigh them. It is even managing to stay away making the anime all weird and fanservicey, and is making me wish other shows (I'm looking at you strike witches) could have followed a similar route.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I hate to do this thing for a show about high-school girls fighting each other with WW2 era tanks on top of a supercarrier, and to be honest my only experience with war machines is Vietnam-era artillery, but couldn't their rounds be just training shells with just enough propellant to get them to their target instead of penetrating it?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Rexides posted:

I hate to do this thing for a show about high-school girls fighting each other with WW2 era tanks on top of a supercarrier, and to be honest my only experience with war machines is Vietnam-era artillery, but couldn't their rounds be just training shells with just enough propellant to get them to their target instead of penetrating it?

Yes, but what would be the point have having different types of tanks then? Well I guess it's a sport for girls, so that's like asking a woman why she has 17 different types of sandals.

edit: Having the different tanks be more of a fashion choice, and have no impact on their effectiveness would be glorious, just for the amount of rage it would cause.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Nah, its clear the relative strengths and weaknesses matter based on the words so far spoken/alluded to.

• Locked thread