Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
You can now pre-order 1/1 scale inflatable tank shells from the show. They come with stickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I read the Prequel manga, Girls und Panzer Little Army. It's kind of terrible. Almost no tanks, just a lot of repetitive drama. There's one tank match in the whole two volume series. The rest is just, "oh no, *character* wants to stop doing tanks! oh nevermind." And then they do it again, sometimes with a different character. And remember in the series how Miho learns she doesn't have to do tanks like her family, she can have her own style of tank combat based on friendship? Yeah, she didn't really have to learn that, because she decided that a few years earlier. I guess she just forgot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More GUP is great, but after the insanity of Black Forest, it's hard to get hyped about a bunch of Crusaders, Churchills, and Matildas. Even a Black Prince can't hold a candle to a Maus or Jagdtiger for pure fear factor, although a Tortoise might be kinda neat.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If by fear, you mean watching it completely break it's own gun upon the third shot then yeah, the Jagdtiger is scary sight to see, I guess.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The fact that you can even get use a Maus, or even have one positioned in a strategically viable location, is cheating :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phobophilia posted:

The fact that you can even get use a Maus, or even have one positioned in a strategically viable location, is cheating :colbert:

For the movie, I want to see the teams taking on a Ratte:

I honestly want someone to build it IRL, no matter how impractical it is, just so this beautiful, stupid machine could have finally have an Earthly presence :allears::circlefap:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CommissarMega posted:

For the movie, I want to see the teams taking on a Ratte:

I honestly want someone to build it IRL, no matter how impractical it is, just so this beautiful, stupid machine could have finally have an Earthly presence :allears::circlefap:

Well, it's not full-scale, but Takom has a 1/144 scale model.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Finally got around to watching the Anzio OVA. Good OVA. Made me kind of want to rewatch the whole series. Maybe later.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
So the movie is finally coming out, right?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

In theater. It wont be out on BD for a while.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from seeing the movie in theaters. Overall pretty drat good. Will try to keep spoilers light since I know most people won't be able to see it for a while.

Opens with a 2 on 2 exhibition match between Ooarai and Chi-Ha-Tan academy (the Japan school) vs St. Gloriana and Pravda, set in Ooarai proper so the city can get all new Otaku tourist spots.

The story is a little weak and full of holes, but honestly they're the same problems as the series. Plot isn't the series' strong points anyway. If you want to know what the driving problem is for the movie, it's (mild spoiler)they didn't really stop the school from closing by winning at tanks. They have to win at tanks some more to keep it open.

There are a lot of good character moments. The whole cast is back, plus characters from Chi-ha-tan academy (the japanese school) and Jatkosota/Continuation(?) academy (the finnish school), as well as some new characters for the enemy team, and a couple new characters from Pravda and St. Gloriana I didn't recognize. I haven't read much of the manga yet, so some of these might be from there. Honestly it felt a little cramped with them trying to pack in individual moments for so many characters.

The new characters, especially the leaders of Chi-ha-tan and Jatkosota, get a lot of screentime. Chi-ha-tan is mostly comic relief, and Jatkosota's leader in a BT-42 had one of the best fight scenes in the movie.

The final battle is BIG and long. I will just say this: there's at least one ridiculous surprise unit on the level of the Maus.

The enemy team they're fighting were referred to as the 大学選抜 "University selection" team. I think that translates to mean an all-star team from the University Sensha-do league. They mostly used late war allied tanks. Centurions, M26 Pershings, and M24 Chaffees.

There was also a reference in dialogue to a Pro Sensha-do league. Wanna see that.

EDIT: Also, I'd heard they'd put some extra effort into sound mixing in this and it shows. Lots of really good, unique, and LOUD explosion sounds from all the tanks. Could really feel it in your gut.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 22, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Blu-rays have been shipped as of a couple of days ago. The movie is really, really good and the matches are as crazy and fun as ever.

So many memorable scenes and I even jumped out of my seat when the captains and named members of the other schools "transferred" to Ooarai. Also, the comedy is still there with the funnest things in the movie being Sodoko and co becoming delinquents.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The set-piece battles are the best yet. There are subs out too. My favorite has to be Continuation's fight and the music that it was set to. The finale fight was tense as gently caress though.

All of the old favorites from the various teams as well as two new High schools and two new girls for preexisting high schools.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how are the ak subs? i'm not used to great quality from them

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Man, this show hasn't lost its charm.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Ha, Continuation High School stole a KV-1 from Pravda (from that one scene in the movie where they show that article on the Sensha-do website).

It's the small things that make this series great.

Edit: Also, in the Anzio OVA, Miho mentions that when she was still at Kuromorimine, Continuation High School almost beat them in a practice match, a Kuromorimine with both Miho and Maho.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 29, 2016

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Davincie posted:

how are the ak subs? i'm not used to great quality from them

Few slip ups but they're fine.

Bakanogami posted:

Also, I'd heard they'd put some extra effort into sound mixing in this and it shows. Lots of really good, unique, and LOUD explosion sounds from all the tanks. Could really feel it in your gut.

Yea this was really apparent and impressive.
Going to need to watch this another couple times, so many little things. Like the first years reverting to the stone age

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I enjoyed the exhibition match but I did not expect I'd enjoy seeing the non-tank battle stuff this much.

Edit: A panzerfaust with a bow, I love these details.

Argas fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 29, 2016

Jintor
May 19, 2014

just watched the movie. incredible stuff. plot dumb as bricks but whooooo caaaaaares we got tanks to fight

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

was Continuation High School mentioned before? i don't remember them at all. the battles were great. the non in-fight character stuff and story (why was the school even being closed again?) was mediocre like the show, though at least the character animation was vastly improved thanks to that movie budget and i loved the part where the sodokos slowly slid into debauchery

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davincie posted:

was Continuation High School mentioned before? i don't remember them at all. the battles were great. the non in-fight character stuff and story (why was the school even being closed again?) was mediocre like the show, though at least the character animation was vastly improved thanks to that movie budget and i loved the part where the sodokos slowly slid into debauchery

Continuation was in the tournament and lost to Black Forest. Chihatan did the same too.

Very much would like to see a Continuation versus Pravda match. Mostly for the historical context.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

heads up, theres a sequel ova to the movie. in it the public morals girls continue their slow descent into becoming delinquents

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Speaking of the little things making it awesome:

:allears:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The best part was the nerds getting so swole that one of them broke their tank's brake lever.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Can someone quickly sum up what GuP OVAs/movies etc there are? Any I should aviod? tia

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Can someone quickly sum up what GuP OVAs/movies etc there are? Any I should aviod? tia

theres a bunch of shorts which are inconsequential short fanservice stuff and contain extremely small amount of background fluff. there's a long OVA focusing on the skipped fight with anzio that is essential, then the movie which is of course essential and then a followup ova to the movie that's a short epilogue

watching order:
shorts>anzio>movie>movie ova

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

awesome thanks. :)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oh i forgot, but there's a bunch of ovas where yukari acts like a propagandists for (japanese) military equipment too and some recap ovas that are really not worth watching

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ah. ok. there is quite a bit of stufff out there.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it had a bit of a troubled production

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God this film was intensely fun and likeable, so glad to get more of this cast's antics once again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davincie posted:

it had a bit of a troubled production

The studio that did GuP got parodied in Shirobako which was amusing in its own right. As far as other content, there's also the audio dramas and spin-off manga

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Can I just say that I love how we still use the thread title from 4 years ago that was based on joking fan speculation from Episode 1? Also this movie is amazing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Twiddy posted:

Can I just say that I love how we still use the thread title from 4 years ago that was based on joking fan speculation from Episode 1? Also this movie is amazing.

man i was wrong as hell about this show

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I was not expecting the Finnish,

Jintor
May 19, 2014

nobody expects the finnish

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I just finished watching the movie. There are too many things about it that I love to list, and there are very few movies that I can describe that way. The final match took up about half of the movie, and I loved every single second of it.

The movie also reminded of how this series has an ungodly amount of characters in it, but I still remember so many of them by name. A lot of people didn't get as much screen time as I would have liked (Hippo Team, but I was also pleasantly surprised by how much screen time some others got (Italians).

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Command Ant posted:

I just finished watching the movie. There are too many things about it that I love to list, and there are very few movies that I can describe that way. The final match took up about half of the movie, and I loved every single second of it.

The movie also reminded of how this series has an ungodly amount of characters in it, but I still remember so many of them by name. A lot of people didn't get as much screen time as I would have liked (Hippo Team, but I was also pleasantly surprised by how much screen time some others got (Italians).
Not sure if the numbers are exact since they're just what I quoted to my friend at the time, but the movie is a 25 minute tank fight, 40 minutes of non-tankery, and then a 48 minute tank fight followed by 7 minutes of plot and credits. I love this movie.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Not sure if the numbers are exact since they're just what I quoted to my friend at the time, but the movie is a 25 minute tank fight, 40 minutes of non-tankery, and then a 48 minute tank fight followed by 7 minutes of plot and credits. I love this movie.

Those number are right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if you didnt see the Anzio OVA watch that.

• Locked thread