Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm pretty sure this entire episode was operating at 2 to 3 cuils.

Also the girls are still absolutely terrible friends.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The poor Lee was outperformed by the Japanese tank again.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The japanese tank has been pretty well portrayed as the horrid shitpile it is for the most part, and this is the first time we've seen a shot from it penetrate anything. And it didn't even really damage the tank it hit in the fuel tank at point blank, apart from all the fire and stuff.

The M3 Lee on the other hand well... we don't even know how they are going to portray its performance. Both of the times it was taken out before it did anything amounted to crew error.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"Stop firing at your allies!" :haw:

This must be that mythical 10% Crew game mode I kept hearing about :smug:

I mean honestly, you couldn't even try to miss that horribly in world of tanks, you would likely hit some poor AMX instead.

e: Oh, and I got a good line for this show if anyone ever does an Abridged Series at 12:21

"My cabbages!" :smith:

e2: Anyone else think the ending is reminiscent of the ending for Mass Effect 2? M4's are pretty terrible for them to be up against, especially that number of them :ohdear:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 30, 2012

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
So; checking out the Tournament teams

1; Sweden
2; Anzac Tanks? Can't think of anything obvious
3; Soviets :getin:
4;

5; French Tanks :getin:
6; Italian Tank(ettes)
7; America obviously
8; Our gallant heroes

9; Canada? All we really got is the Ram-II...
10; England. Shall we get to see that Crusader they had in the background?
11; Czechoslovakia????
12;

13; German Steel?
14; Japanese Tanks?
15;
16; Finland? :black101:

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 30, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The show is definitely improving. “These little streets are excellent. The StuG has a low signature.” :v:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

e2: Anyone else think the ending is reminiscent of the ending for Mass Effect 2? M4's are pretty terrible for them to be up against, especially that number of them :ohdear:
I am guessing that the matches will still be 5 vs 5. The excess number is to show that unlike the main cast, that club has a ton of members. It's a pretty common trope to appear in sports animes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Wow this show moves fast. Each of those subplots would have taken several episodes in normal anime.

But the really crazy thing is the background setting. WTF is going on in this world. Every show would be good if it played a setting that crazy that straight.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Platystemon posted:

The show is definitely improving. “These little streets are excellent. The StuG has a low signature.” :v:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

tonberrytoby posted:

Wow this show moves fast. Each of those subplots would have taken several episodes in normal anime.

But the really crazy thing is the background setting. WTF is going on in this world. Every show would be good if it played a setting that crazy that straight.

Yeah the little things like the guy being happy his shop was destroyed really make this crazy tank girls concept actually sort of make sense. We'll see how it develops from here though.

Also on the accuracy thing, playing World of Tanks is one thing, but these are people with no experience moving turrets with WWII controls.

edit: words.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 31, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

tonberrytoby posted:

Clearly this is a far future post-scarcity world (dude not giving a gently caress about his shop being destroyed; living in towns on giant ships) where people take their hobbies (vintage WW2 tank battling, flower arranging) very seriously.

The girls aren't worried about injuries from firing semi-live ammunition at each other because they are nigh-invulnerable posthumans.

(The big reveal in the final episode is that this takes place in the universe of Iain Banks' Culture books.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 31, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man, I hope I'll be a cool enough parent to disown my children when they the nerve to choose a hobby different from the one I've set out for them.

:corsair: "Now you listen here sonny, I'm a Magic player, and my daddy was a Magic player. Why your great-grandpappy lost his legs fightin' with a swarm of Slivers and lived to tell the tale :bahgawd: So if I hear one more word out of your ungrateful mouth about some "Ultimate Frisbee" you'll be out on your rear end so fast your head will spin!" :corsair:

Holy Beergut
Feb 2, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

Yeah I'm really liking how fast they handle the different segments of the episode, it's a nice change of pace from other shows that tend to draw things out. I especially liked how they handled the carp dance, they just went to the meat of it long enough to be funny, and the sudden transition to normality after it was great.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Aw man, I love how this show is reveling in its absurd premise. I was honestly expecting this to be "cute girls doing cute this and there is also a tank in the background", but the writers have pulled all the stops and just rolling with it like a panzer over some soft infantry positions.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Saunders appears to be using the M4A4 Sherman variant. A variant that was mainly used as lend lease tanks to Britain, France, & China.

Strange to use that particular variant to represent the US.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Well, all of the stuff we've seen so far is early war stuff, while the main character's big sister uses a Tiger tank; clearly late war land yatches are in the senior high schooler division.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Nine of Eight posted:

Well, all of the stuff we've seen so far is early war stuff, while the main character's big sister uses a Tiger tank; clearly late war land yatches are in the senior high schooler division.

They'll flashback to Elementry school and have the girls rumbling around in one of these.

Or god help them one of these.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Well, given they had images of both in the background at various points, I guess it would be a thing.

Edit; oh god that British WWI tank has a semaphore mast on top.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nine of Eight posted:

Well, given they had images of both in the background at various points, I guess it would be a thing.

Edit; oh god that British WWI tank has a semaphore mast on top.
Radios are complicated. One would expect an Army to stick with the classics.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
So, how is life in the Aryan future? I doubt they will play out the full consequences of an axis victory.

:j:"Hey guys, remember the Holo~~~uguuuh~~~"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SavageGentleman posted:

So, how is life in the Aryan future? I doubt they will play out the full consequences of an axis victory.

:j:"Hey guys, remember the Holo~~~uguuuh~~~"

I think the OP of this thread might not be completely serious. :ssh:

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I just hoped to see a deranged anime version of "the man in the high castle" in my lifetime :sigh:

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 6, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SavageGentleman posted:

I just hoped to see a deranged anime version of "the man in the high castle" in my lifetime :sigh:

Eureka Seven AO actually makes a bunch of references to it, but it's pretty bad, especially if you're a fan of the original, so don't watch it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dat Cake

Hopefully this episode sets the tone for the whole series and it replaces K-on! as the most cake-ful show

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Apparently the tournament matches are 10 versus 10. This puts the main characters at a disadvantage with only 5 tanks. I wonder if the cast will increase or the other teams won't use 10 tanks.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh god I wish 'tank cafe' was an actual thing

Seriously though, Zettace's point is one that irritates me because I don't think I'll be very satisfied with either result. They're having severe trouble giving screen time to the five tank crews they already have, but just because Saunders' theme was having lots of money, there's no way they'd be the only school that can field 10 tanks. They were fielding 10 tanks out of the over 30 tanks that they had. A school with a third of the Panzerfauhren budget could field twice as many tanks in the same motley kind of manner as the protagonists have.

Not to mention that we know there are entire teams of much more powerful tanks than theirs (Blackforest appears to have at least 3 Tigers), which it would be outright necessary to outnumber.

Like, I'm not complaining of a lack of flavour, and I understand that the Panzer crew are the only girls we'll get full backstories on for each, but that's like a half season of character focus episodes right there, and even if we assume they allow for a focus episode on each other tank to get them past the stage of "The history club wear funny costumes" and "The girls in the M3 Lee cannot into operating tanks", that's still about as many episodes as the tournament itself is likely to last. I just can't see us getting a late addition to the lineup unless it's some kind of bizarre, crew minimal tankette operated by two people. In which case it wouldn't solve any of their weaknesses as a tank platoon.

Also another weird annoyance I have is that the trainer lady has never once been depicted actually coaching them, telling them how to do anything, giving them advice, or even being physically present during practice. She showed up to roll an Abrahms over the principals car, then was never seen again save to get the girls into their tanks and occasionally smile in the background of certain scenes.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 6, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I imagine the reason why we're having such a relatively fast paced show is so they can cram in more character interactions. I agree with the problems with Tank Lady but then again how much did Anderson ever do in Ender's Game?

I'm still betting my money on upgrading their chassies to something better/late war. When they already potentially have so many characters comprising the other schools I don't really see them adding more to their team either, what I think I do see is them allying up with other schools as this was I think implied this episode as A Thing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

lodoubt posted:

I just can't see us getting a late addition to the lineup unless it's some kind of bizarre, crew minimal tankette operated by two people. In which case it wouldn't solve any of their weaknesses as a tank platoon.

Try a (manga spoilers)Char B1. How's that for a tankette?

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That... fits the role... I guess. I mean its an enormous monster of a tank with some reasonable if situational firepower, and can be operated by a mere three crew...

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Zettace posted:

Apparently the tournament matches are 10 versus 10. This puts the main characters at a disadvantage with only 5 tanks. I wonder if the cast will increase or the other teams won't use 10 tanks.

It's an anime. They are going to win due to their clever plans, determination and cakeBurning Spirit.

The infiltration operation in this episode was amazing :ninja:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rexides posted:

It's an anime. They are going to win due to their clever plans, determination and cakeBurning Spirit.

Actually it honestly was, its pretty amazing how she came up with a fairly effective plan that had a realistic chance of success. If you really wanted to know what that other school was planning why wouldn't you steal a uniform and waltz in? Most anime plans wish they were that clever.

Its so... simple. That and it was some nice animation there.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Well, her infiltration failed at the point she got caught. It's pretty much expected that the enemy will change their plans once they notice your spy.

Rexides posted:

There's only so much clever plans and determination can do when your opponents have five more tanks on top of having 3 Tigers on the field and you have outdated American and Japanese tanks on your team.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Except for the fact they're so cocky, they actually sent in all of their tanks into the forest and left their command tank unprotected. Not that our heroes were able to take advantage of this...

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And there's the Kelly's Heroes reference.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This show makes living in a tank-based society look so nice. :allears:

Rexides posted:

I love that her contingency plan for being found out was to just run away, and that it worked.

Command Ant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 29, 2012

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

And she also had time during her escape to [spoiler]edit the footage and add credits and opening titles[/spoilers].

This show is genuinely funny.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Crunchyroll has an article up showing the real life locations from the anime and someone's attempt a replicating the cakes which are... okay I guess.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/11/07/girls-und-panzer-locations-and-cakes-in-real-life

Got to say I think I'll most likely keep following this. Does anyone know if it has a definite number of episodes it's scheduled for or will it be ongoing?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I got this link from the crunchyroll forums:

http://girls-und-panzer.at.webry.info/201211/article_2.html

I can't read Japanese, but there were apparently some production issues, and next week's episode will be a clip show as a result.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The episode preview at the end of this weeks episode also mentions it. Notice that it says next weeks episode is episode 5.5 and the new date for episode 6 is November 19th.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Watched all the episodes so far, and its a lot better then i thought it would be. I am just waiting for them to break out the Russian tanks or maybe get one of their own, hopefully a T-35.

• Locked thread