Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ElBrak posted:

Watched all the episodes so far, and its a lot better then i thought it would be. I am just waiting for them to break out the Russian tanks or maybe get one of their own, hopefully a T-35.
There's a Russian team. Comparing the official site to the tournament bracket we saw the next team they go against are Italians and then Russians in the semi-finals going by the brackets on their side of the tournament. The main character's sister is the German team.

I'm not actually sure if those are spoilers because the school names are references to the countries they mimic but not out right "America School" or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's amazing. What's the turret with no barrel for?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sindai posted:

That's amazing. What's the turret with no barrel for?
I think it's a machinegun turret. And someone stole their gun.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Guyver posted:

There's a Russian team. Comparing the official site to the tournament bracket we saw the next team they go against are Italians

Expecting Italians to beat the French? :frogout:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
5.5 have anything to make it worth watching?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Not unless you like hearing short little quips about the tanks.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Fauxtool posted:

Dat Cake

Hopefully this episode sets the tone for the whole series and it replaces K-on! as the most cake-ful show

I haven't been watching the show, but I think it's awesome that the "tank cakes" are on a Dragon Wagon.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
5.5 meticulously names each of the girls in the other crews, and gives several tiny (pointless) snippets of information about them, so there is that. Like, I think it justified its existence as an episode, but only barely.

Also I can't decide whether they are actually aiming to accomplish something by juxtaposing the "Favourite Flower" and "Favourite Tank" fields like alluding to how Panzerfauhren is a metaphor for growing into, and synonymous with, womanhood; or whether this show is just insane.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
*Holy poo poo they have an actual legit nazicopter*

EDIT: Also bawwww Koala Forest Academy lost in the first round so we will never get to see the bizarre vision of an Australia themed tank regiment.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 20, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
This series is really surprising. It feels like it was written as a tank battle anime first and foremost and then the girls were added in later to increase sales. Well, it's apparently working as the DVDs are selling like hotcakes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zettace posted:

This series is really surprising. It feels like it was written as a tank battle anime first and foremost and then the girls were added in later to increase sales. Well, it's apparently working as the DVDs are selling like hotcakes.

Which is really key to its success, if it was just K-On with Tanks I don't think it would have nearly the outreach it currently has (as there's better K-On clones already); that and its genuinely funny.

next episode looks like it might be a drama episode, that and beginning the fight with the Italy team. :smug:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Which is really key to its success, if it was just K-On with Tanks I don't think it would have nearly the outreach it currently has (as there's better K-On clones already); that and its genuinely funny.

What I Watched: Girls und Panzer
What I Expected: K-On! with Tanks
What I Got: Tanks with K-On!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Tiger Tanks versus Chinese Tanks? Geeez, you'd think there's be such a concept as handicaps, same as the T-34s and IS-2 versus Turkish tankettes.

Also :psyduck:, I still don't understand how a nation that was famed for having their tankettes be taken out by African tribal warriors beat a school with some of the best tanks of the early war.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

With the power of Moessolini.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nine of Eight posted:

Also :psyduck:, I still don't understand how a nation that was famed for having their tankettes be taken out by African tribal warriors beat a school with some of the best tanks of the early war.
I don't understand enough about tanks to get what you are referring too here.

e: Oh from the teaser. I don't usually watch those. In case it spoils an epic battle between France and Italy in the first half of the next episode or something like this. :argh:

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea about how Italian tanks preformed. The French tanks were of course top of the line. They just sucked at doctrine. I am now imagining Doctrine Man as the Itaka coach. :stare:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A Japanese blog put up a bunch of pictures of Girls und Panzer stuff at the Oarai Angler Fish Festival that happened Sunday.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, during the second Italo-Abyssinian war there were apocryphal stories of Ethiopian soldiers flanking Italian tankettes and disabling them by sticking spear shafts into their wheel spokes before flipping them over police-car style. As for more modern stuff, nothing Italy produced was truly exceptional throughout WWII: The last medium tank line produced by the Italians boasted a 47mm gun and 30mm of armour. In 1943. :smith:

EDIT: Upon further research, they did build a pretty nice tank destroyer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semovente_105/25

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 20, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Nine of Eight posted:

Tiger Tanks versus Chinese Tanks? Geeez, you'd think there's be such a concept as handicaps, same as the T-34s and IS-2 versus Turkish tankettes.
Those were Japanese tanks. The Type 97 Tanks to be exact. It's referenced in the school's name, where "chi-ha" is the nickname of the Type 97 tanks.

Edit: Also pretty sure the USSR team beat the Polish team so those where the twin turret Polish tanks.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 20, 2012

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Yeah, Italy got its rear end handed to it in N. Africa.

And goddamn, I would love a cute tank-conveyor belt thing to bring me cake. That's just adorable.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

The highlight of this has to be that video of the marching band.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, after picking up this series when I heard there actually was a good amount of emphasis on the tanks, rather than just K-on! with tanks, I'm really enjoying it. Even though this season was generally terrible, I'm finding GnP to be a genuinely good show.

Just watched the latest episode and liked the little detail at the end.

The turret number on Maho's Tiger, 212, is the same as the one that tank ace Michael Wittmann had at the Battle of Villers-Bocage, where he destroyed around 14 tanks and 15 personnel carriers in 15 minutes. The little details of this show.:allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So after the surprisingly positive response in this thread and elsewhere, I was thinking of giving this a shot. One question, though - how's the action. I see a lot of appreciation of the little details, but how does this show render the fine and noble art of tanks blowing poo poo up?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It does it pretty well. The only real complaint I could come up with is sometimes the characters get stormtrooper syndrome but that's really minor. I don't know a lot about tanks so that could be accurate for all I know. The direction is really nice and the situations that come up in matches are pretty imaginative. The director Tsutomu Mizushima knows his way around an action scene.

Some people have a bad reaction to the cell shaded CG tanks though personally I don't mind. The 2d characters interacting with the CG looked odd in the first couple episodes but episode six had a few scenes that the drawn and CG art integrated well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Having just watched the first episode, I'm enjoying how completely straight it plays everything.

It's like a standard sports anime plot. Except they're driving around tanks in a town on a giant aircraft carrier.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

This show just keeps getting better and better, even the tanks crews that seemed boring at first are being given a lot of characterization.

For anyone on the fence this show rules, the choice of High School girls piloting tanks seems more to be about how ridiculous that is, not about fan service or being moe.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wish the tank destroyer crew were the main characters. They were great in 6.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
WWII era tanks had absolutely no ability to fire accurately on the move and every thing I read about it places emphasis on the need to stop first before firing. Its hideously inaccurate even in World of Tanks where you have mouse muscle memory to help narrow it down a little. The Sherman I think had a gun stabilizer installed mid war that could allow it to fire more accurately when on the move within 15 degrees but most had it disabled for some reason.

Since 95% of the shots this episode have been while moving its perfectly Myth Busters level plausible.

I'm actually surprised as well at how much action we've been getting, they have their character pacing moments of wandering our town or talking in their room but its been a large chunk.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Raenir Salazar posted:

WWII era tanks had absolutely no ability to fire accurately on the move and every thing I read about it places emphasis on the need to stop first before firing. Its hideously inaccurate even in World of Tanks where you have mouse muscle memory to help narrow it down a little. The Sherman I think had a gun stabilizer installed mid war that could allow it to fire more accurately when on the move within 15 degrees but most had it disabled for some reason.

Since 95% of the shots this episode have been while moving its perfectly Myth Busters level plausible.

I'm actually surprised as well at how much action we've been getting, they have their character pacing moments of wandering our town or talking in their room but its been a large chunk.

If I remember right, the crews didn't like it due to the fact when they were going over rough terrain the gun would be moving up and down to keep the gun stable, while all the the crew in the turret might be bouncing around into its path. I'd hate to get smacked by the breach of a gun while in tight confines like that.

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen
This anime really sets the standard for all "cute girls doing X" anime. I seriously never would have expected this much tank combat in a tank combat moe anime, and I'm loving it. Tank warfare offers a lot more opportunity for character development than gratuitous bath scenes, anyway. :colbert:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Sindai posted:

This series likes switching main characters so it's possible as a spin off. Currently, Miho is the main character of the anime. While Yukari is the main character of the manga and Saori is the main character of the light novels.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Think the creepy Firefly gunner was a reference to a famous American tanker? 'Cos she felt like she should be.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Darth Walrus posted:

Think the creepy Firefly gunner was a reference to a famous American tanker? 'Cos she felt like she should be.

Hey she wasn't creepy, I thought she was kinda cute. And I don't think she'd be a reference to an American tanker, since all Fireflys were operated by British Commonwealth forces.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Sindai posted:

They're consistently the best thing about the show and I hope they get at least one episode dedicated to them.

When I saw this, everything about them made perfect sense.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ElBrak posted:

Hey she wasn't creepy, I thought she was kinda cute. And I don't think she'd be a reference to an American tanker, since all Fireflys were operated by British Commonwealth forces.

Creepy-cute, then? Either way, she did feel like she was a reference of some sort.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Did I hear one of the girls say in a previous episode that the tanks are coated with carbon or something to keep them safe from the rounds that hit them? What's that all about?

I think the writers/producers did a really good job with this past episode per the ending. Had it ended in any other way, I would've felt cheated.

I don't understand why, when the tank crew from "our school" found the flag tank from "their school", they didn't just blast them right there and then. I mean, their turret was even pointed right at them! Just a point-blank shot and "game over"!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dan7el posted:

I don't understand why, when the tank crew from "our school" found the flag tank from "their school", they didn't just blast them right there and then. I mean, their turret was even pointed right at them! Just a point-blank shot and "game over"!
I'm pretty sure even point blank the Type 89's main gun wouldn't go through the Sherman's armor.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Seconding that statement. At the angle they were pointing their 47mm would have a really tough time taking out a late war Sherman. Now had they come up behind them that would be much more of a possibility.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, the Type 89 is pretty much there as a joke tank. In the match against the British Tanks, the Type 89 was able to get some shots to hit the British tanks (including the one at point blank) but all they got was a "ding" sound with the shell deflecting. It's kind of sad, really. The Volleyball team seem to be one of the more competent teams but their tank is really holding them back.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Did I hear one of the girls say in a previous episode that the tanks are coated with carbon or something to keep them safe from the rounds that hit them? What's that all about?

If they can build an entire town on a carrier than they probably have a way to strengthen parts of the armor against WWII rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Dan7el posted:

I think the writers/producers did a really good job with this past episode

I was impressed with how the episode was written as well! Oarai won their match fair and square by out-thinking their overconfident opponent. There were no bullshit hail Mary plays, no power of friendship, just solid tactics and resource management.

Someone upthread mentioned that Fireflies were piloted by British Commonwealth tankers. I was a bit confused by the "Yes Mahrm" pronunciation the Firefly gunner had, but now it makes total sense.

• Locked thread