Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

gently caress it. I like this show. It's not creepy even the bath scene in the third episode was done with a good bit of restraint. The character animation is good and the tank scenes are directed well and fun to watch. The characters themselves are still kind of stock personalities but there's room to grow. It's not even a k-on clone it's a sports anime with tanks.

This is not a bad show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

... Is that headband wearing girl always doing that ;) thing?
Yeah it's even in her character design sheet on the official site. She's a Sengoku nerd and the head band is a Sanada Yukimura reference so the eye might be a Date Masamune reference.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ElBrak posted:

Watched all the episodes so far, and its a lot better then i thought it would be. I am just waiting for them to break out the Russian tanks or maybe get one of their own, hopefully a T-35.
There's a Russian team. Comparing the official site to the tournament bracket we saw the next team they go against are Italians and then Russians in the semi-finals going by the brackets on their side of the tournament. The main character's sister is the German team.

I'm not actually sure if those are spoilers because the school names are references to the countries they mimic but not out right "America School" or what have you.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

With the power of Moessolini.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A Japanese blog put up a bunch of pictures of Girls und Panzer stuff at the Oarai Angler Fish Festival that happened Sunday.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It does it pretty well. The only real complaint I could come up with is sometimes the characters get stormtrooper syndrome but that's really minor. I don't know a lot about tanks so that could be accurate for all I know. The direction is really nice and the situations that come up in matches are pretty imaginative. The director Tsutomu Mizushima knows his way around an action scene.

Some people have a bad reaction to the cell shaded CG tanks though personally I don't mind. The 2d characters interacting with the CG looked odd in the first couple episodes but episode six had a few scenes that the drawn and CG art integrated well.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dan7el posted:

I don't understand why, when the tank crew from "our school" found the flag tank from "their school", they didn't just blast them right there and then. I mean, their turret was even pointed right at them! Just a point-blank shot and "game over"!
I'm pretty sure even point blank the Type 89's main gun wouldn't go through the Sherman's armor.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The girl in the red scarf's name is Caesar she wears the scarf because of Julius Caesar's red cape.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The preview for the first OVA makes it look like something scraped together in the crew's spare time. One of the highlights of the series is the character animation and, well, the OVA preview made it look like bare minimum animation mostly made of still images with lip flapping. But I guess that's about as much as you can ask for a DVD/BD bonus.

Though I guess there's a chance that if the show does really well they might put some real effort into the OVA episodes.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ANN - Girls & Panzer BDs/DVDs 2-6 Delayed 1 Month Each posted:

The second DVD and Blu-ray volume of Girls und Panzer anime series is being delayed from January 29 to February 22. The staff explained that the delay was to ensure the quality of the Blu-ray volume's original video anime short, "Survival War!"

Due to the volume's delay, subsequent volumes are also being pushed back by one month each.
Wow. I guess they are going to put some effort into the other bonus episodes.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Isizzlehorn posted:

I'll be delightfully surprised if we ever get more than this.
Well good and bad news then. Both episodes 11 and 12 aren't going to air till march and the director is hinting at more of the show after 12.

Girls & Panzer Delays Episode #11 Tentatively Until March posted:

The official Twitter account and website for the Girls und Panzer television anime confirmed on Saturday that the episode on December 24 has been delayed. Instead of episode 11, a special reintroduction episode "10.5" ("Shōkai Shimasu 2!") will air. Episode 10.5 will also be included in volume 5 of the Girls und Panzer Blu-ray and DVD release.

As a result of this delay, another episode will be delayed beyond the scheduled run of the anime this year. The staff tentatively plans to air the remaining episodes on participating channels in March as a television special. The 12th and final episode was already pushed back due to the delayed airing of episode 6.

Director Tsutomu Mizushima personally apologized for the delays, and noted that episode 10, like the previous episodes, will have improvements and animation corrections in the Blu-ray/DVD releases. He added that staff will ensure the utmost quality in episodes 11 and 12. He concluded by saying that he personally thinks that the end of episode 12 is not the end of the whole story.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

We don't. Recaps generally mean there's been some kind of problem with the production and the work is getting backed up.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pyronic posted:

Oh god waiting 3 months for the end of this is going to be cruel.

Is there anything else I can watch/read/play to get my fix of moe tank action?

I'd say Dominion Tank Police what with Bonaparte being the moe-ist tank of them all.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Monty Python has aired in Japan dubbed and you can get the show subbed on DVD over there. Goro Naya was one of the voice actors who did John Cleese's parts.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

More anime tanks on the way.

Girls & Panzer Anime Gets 2014 Film, New OVA, Fan Disk posted:

Director Tsutomu Mizushima returns for film; new OVA to show battle vs. Anzio

The "Heartful Tank Carnival" event revealed on Sunday that production on an entirely new Girls und Panzer film has been green-lit, and it will open next year. Tsutomu Mizushima is once again directing the project.

In addition, production on an original video anime (OVA) about the battle against Anzio Girls High School has been green-lit. Finally, a fan disk mostly devoted to footage from Sunday's event will go on sale in September.

The anime franchise began with a television series that premiered last October. The story centers around high school girls who drive tanks that exist in real life, as they compete in teams. Crunchyroll and Anime Network both streamed the anime outside Japan.

However, the staff had delayed the last two episodes beyond the scheduled run of the television anime last December. Mizushima personally apologized for the delays, and those episodes, #11 and #12, eventually premiered last month. Mizushima said last year that he personally thinks that the end of episode 12 is not the end of the whole story.

Got to say, Mizushima is probably my favorite active anime director right now.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

You would think sticking your head constantly out of a tank would lead to some injuries but plot armor is pretty strong
Nah, if you watch old film of WW2 tanks any crew that could would have their head out of the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah but the point is that without people taking pot shots at you it's not anymore inherently dangerous than riding around on a tracker.

• Locked thread